Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 4, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Trump Wants Pulitzers Yanked After 'Politically Motivated Farce'
Ex-president claims 'NYT,' 'WaPo' reporting on Russian interference in 2016 election was 'shoddy'
- Former President Trump is still fuming about the investigation into whether his campaign colluded with the Russians before the 2016 election, and now he wants repercussions for two newspapers that reported on it and jointly won the Pulitzer for national reporting in 2018. The former president released a statement Sunday...
Uma Thurman Reveals
Teen Abortion in Op-Ed
Sep 22, 2021 8:48 AM CDT
Uma Thurman Reveals Teen Abortion in Op-Ed
Actress, now 51, says she has 'no regrets,' slams Texas' 'discriminatory' abortion ban
- As the DOJ's lawsuit against Texas' abortion ban moves through the courts, a big name is weighing in—and she's got a very personal story to bolster her perspective. In an op-ed for the
, actress Uma Thurman slams the law, calling it a "discriminatory tool"...
Teens Rank the
9 Biggest Threats
They Are Facing
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Teens Rank the 9 Biggest Threats They Are Facing
Climate change fails to make the top 5
- Teenagers are perhaps less concerned with climate change than you might think, ranking it sixth in a list of the nine greatest threats to their generation, according to a new
-Ipsos poll. The national survey of 1,349 teens aged 14 to 18, conducted online in May and...
Pulitzer Prize Winner's Column
on Indian Food Spurs Backlash
Aug 27, 2021 7:26 AM CDT
Pulitzer Prize Winner's Column on Indian Food Spurs Backlash
Gene Weingarten gets taken to task by Padma Lakshmi for 'lazy' and 'racist' 'WaPo' screed
humor columnist who apparently has very particular taste buds is taking heat for slamming one specific genre in his latest diatribe: Indian food. Gene Weingarten, who's twice won the Pulitzer Prize for feature writing, penned a column last week about his various likes and dislikes when...
Reporter Says Paper Took
Her Off Sexual Assault Stories
Jul 22, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Reporter Says Paper Took Her Off Sexual Assault Stories
Felicia Sonmez says editors told her coverage would be a conflict of interest
- Washington Post politics reporter Felicia Sonmez has sued the paper and several of its current and former editors, the AP reports, saying she was discriminated against as a victim of sexual assault. In a suit filed Wednesday in DC Superior Court, Sonmez said she was not allowed to report on...
Tucker Carlson's Bread
and Butter: 'White Grievance'
Jul 17, 2021 12:28 PM CDT
Tucker Carlson's Bread and Butter: 'White Grievance'
In deep dive into Fox host's history, 'WaPo' explores Carlson's role as the 'voice of white America'
- From an outsider's perspective, Tucker Carlson, host of Fox News'
Tucker Carlson Tonight
, could be seen as a man of ambition who rose to become one of conservative media's biggest stars, now boasting a nightly audience of nearly 3 million, with millions more fans on social media. From...
Surprise Letter From DOJ
May 8, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Reporters Get Surprise Letter From DOJ
During Trump administration, DOJ got phone records for 3 probing Russian election interference
- Three current and former reporters for the
received an alarming notification this week, in the form of a May 3 letter from the Department of Justice that informed them their phone records had been secretly seized by the DOJ over reporting they'd done in the early days...
Hijacked My Life'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 24, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
'That Picture Hijacked My Life'
Mary Ann Vecchio, the girl in famous Kent State photo, reflects 50 years later
- You've seen the photo—a young woman kneeling over the body of Kent State student Jeffrey Miller, after he and three other students were fatally shot by National Guard troops on May 4, 1970. What may come as a surprise is that the young woman in the photo was...
He Taught His Son About Guns.
Then the Boy Shot Himself
Apr 3, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
He Taught His Son About Guns. Then the Boy Shot Himself
An 11-year-old's death, and the subject of safe storage legislation
- The night on which 11-year-old Tyler Paxton died in 2014 began in an unremarkable way. He had Taco Bell for dinner and watched YouTube videos, sharing one involving an otter with his mom. He told his parents he was going to watch cartoons in their room. Then came the gunshot....
Mar 23, 2021 4:21 PM CDT
Without Trump, Audiences Shrink
After setting records, fewer are watching and reading news lately
- Cable news networks are starting to feel the absence of Trump drama. Ratings climbed for President Trump's second impeachment trial, but they've dropped dramatically since then,
reports. CNN has been hit hardest, with the prime-time shows of Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper down 32% in the last...
From All 10
Jan 4, 2021 6:39 AM CST
From All 10 Ex-Defense Secretaries, an 'Exceptional' Op-Ed
They note Biden has won, warn the military has no place getting involved in any election disputes
- "The time for questioning the results has passed; the time for the formal counting of the electoral college votes, as prescribed in the Constitution and statute, has arrived." So reads an unusual op-ed that appeared Sunday in the
, co-signed by all 10 living ex-defense secretaries. The...
How Worst Serial Killer in US
Got Away With It for Decades
Dec 1, 2020 12:00 PM CST
How Worst Serial Killer in US Got Away With It for Decades
Samuel Little enjoyed decades of impunity by targeting the unmissed: Washington Post
- America's most prolific serial killer operated for more than 30 years, targeting vulnerable, usually Black women, under the watch of an "indifferent" criminal justice system. That's according to part one of an in-depth investigation by the
, which interviewed experts and reviewed thousands of pages of...
the 'Hurt' That Looms
Nov 12, 2020 8:05 AM CST
Op-Ed Suggests Fauci Understated the 'Hurt' That Looms
'WaPo' op-ed warns that, amid current surges, interventions can't wait until Inauguration Day
- Last month, Dr. Anthony Fauci warned that "we're in for a whole lot of hurt" this winter as coronavirus numbers spike. A new opinion piece in the
agrees—but also suggests that Fauci may have understated things. Penned by former Trump homeland security adviser Thomas Bossert,...
Sports Writer's World Series
Streak Ends at 252 Games
Oct 21, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
Sports Writer's World Series Streak Ends at 252 Games
Thomas M. Boswell recounts the 'marvelous misery'
- For the first time since 1975, Thomas M. Boswell will not be covering the World Series, ending a 252-game streak. "I don't think it's smart for a 72-year-old man in a pandemic," writes the
sports columnist. But the choice has left him pining for...
Ronald Reagan Got It.
Trump Still Doesn't
Oct 5, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Ronald Reagan Got It. Trump Still Doesn't
No. 40's daughter Patti Davis argues that Trump needs to tell the truth about his health
- Ronald's Reagan's daughter is following the news from Walter Reed hospital, and she doesn't like what she sees. "When you're president, privacy is not an option—including, and maybe especially, privacy about your health," writes Patti Davis in the
. "Instead of...
the US Struggles,
I See a 'Chorus
Aug 1, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Vindman: As the US Struggles, I See a 'Chorus of Hope'
Retired Army officer attacked by Trump says despite 'personal turmoil,' he'll keep fighting for US
- One of the key figures in the impeachment hearings for President Trump says his testimony effectively ended his career—but for telling the truth, he has no regrets. In a new op-ed in the
, retired Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman reiterates that he stepped down from his military post...
to Redskins Owner:
'Change the Name. NOW'
Jun 20, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
to Redskins Owner: 'Change the Name. NOW'
Editorial board says if Dan Snyder won't do it, the NFL should
editorial board is calling on Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to change his football club's name. Under the headline "Change the Name of the Washington NFL Team. Now," the newspaper says in an editorial posted online Friday that if Snyder won’t switch the...
'Whitewashed' Cop Movies,
TV Shows Have to Go
Jun 5, 2020 12:41 PM CDT
'Whitewashed' Cop Movies, TV Shows Have to Go
In 'WaPo,' Alyssa Rosenberg calls for more realistic storytelling about police
- In the wake of the death of George Floyd , the subject of racism and police brutality is now top of mind for most Americans. Alyssa Rosenberg has one idea on how Hollywood can help move things forward on these pervasive, intertwined issues: "Halt production on cop shows and movies...
Apr 16, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Here's Why Joe Biden Should Pick Amy Klobuchar
For one thing, she's 'ideologically simpatico'
- Oddsmakers like Kamala Harris . Elizabeth Warren has made clear she'd be open to a spot on the ticket. But at the
, David Byler lays out the case for Amy Klobuchar to be Joe Biden's pick for vice president. Yes, an all-white ticket isn't ideal in...
3 Things We
Need to Do
ASAP on Virus
Apr 1, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Bill Gates: 3 Things We Need to Do ASAP on Virus
Microsoft co-founder says that while we've lost time, it's not too late to still make big moves
- Though it may seem the US missed its chance to get ahead of the coronavirus, one prominent name sees glimmers of hope. In a
op-ed, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates notes that "the choices we and our leaders make now will have an enormous impact on how soon...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Scientists Question Models After Arctic Ocean Finding
Taylor Swift Just Outdid 'American Pie'
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.