Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Rescuers Finally Reach Trapped Workers in India
Stories 1 - 20 |
Company Must Reinstate Driver
Who Drank 9 Beers, Crashed
Aug 2, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Company Must Reinstate Driver Who Drank 9 Beers, Crashed
Canadian woman's alcoholism is a disability, labor arbitrator says
- A Canadian truck driver who admitted drinking at least nine beers before she crashed on a Pennsylvania highway was, unsurprisingly, fired by her employer. But in an unusual twist, a labor arbitrator has ordered trucking company Groupe Robert to reinstate her, saying that her alcoholism is a disability and the...
Cops Solve One of Quebec's
Highest-Profile Cold Cases
May 24, 2023 4:37 PM CDT
Cops Solve One of Quebec's Highest-Profile Cold Cases
Sharron Prior, 16, was killed by a West Virginia man
- Canadian police said Tuesday they have solved one of the highest-profile cold cases in Quebec history, linking the 1975 rape and murder of a 16-year-old girl to a West Virginia man who died more than 40 years ago. Police in Longueuil, Quebec, said that DNA evidence allows them to be...
Truck Plows Into
Pedestrians, Killing 2
Mar 14, 2023 1:50 AM CDT
Truck Plows Into Pedestrians, Killing 2
9 others injured, 2 seriously, in Quebec incident
- Two men died Monday after a pickup truck plowed into pedestrians beside a road in the eastern Quebec town of Amqui, although a senior Canadian official rapidly ruled out a terrorism attack or a national security incident, the AP reports. A provincial police spokeswoman said nine other people were injured,...
Witnesses: Bus Driver
Feb 9, 2023 12:45 AM CST
Witnesses: Bus Driver Deliberately Crashed Into Daycare
2 children killed, 6 injured in Montreal-area crash
- The bus driver accused of driving into a Montreal-area day care center Wednesday, killing two 4-year-olds and hurting six other children, has been charged with first-degree murder, the AP reports. Pierre Ny St-Amand, who is detained at a hospital, faces nine charges in total; they also include attempted murder, aggravated...
Groundhog Day Took
a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Feb 3, 2023 6:11 AM CST
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Organizers announced death of 'Fred la Marmotte'
- Groundhog Day took a somber turn in Quebec Thursday when organizers announced that the groundhog, Fred la Marmotte, had died during hibernation. Roberto Blondin delivered the sad news after 40 minutes of music and dancing at the event in Val-d'Espoir, the CBC reports. "In life, the only thing...
This 'Bovine Revolution'
Has Lasted for Months
Dec 20, 2022 7:25 AM CST
This 'Bovine Revolution' Has Lasted for Months
Cows who escaped from Quebec dairy farm in July keep evading capture, wreaking havoc on fields
- In late July, a herd of 20 or so cows escaped from their dairy farm in St.-Severe, Quebec, after a thunderstorm spooked them, causing them to bust out of their pen. They've been on the lam ever since—annoying some by tearing up local farms, and earning the...
Quebec Lawmakers Refuse
to Pledge Allegiance to King
Oct 26, 2022 2:06 PM CDT
Quebec Lawmakers Refuse to Pledge Allegiance to King
Separatist leader says it's time for country to cut its ties with the monarchy
- Canada now has a king as its head of state for the first time since 1952, and the leader of the separatist Bloc Quebecois party says the change in monarch is a good time for the country to ditch the monarchy altogether. It's "an opportunity for Quebecers and...
Canadian Province to Begin
Vaccinations for Monkeypox
May 26, 2022 4:47 PM CDT
Canadian Province to Begin Vaccinations for Monkeypox
Smallpox doses to be given to high-risk people
- People in the Montreal area at high risk of contracting monkeypox will be given the smallpox vaccine, Quebec health officials announced Thursday. The province has 25 confirmed cases of monkeypox, all connected to the Montreal region, CBC reports. Another 20 to 30 potential cases are being investigated. "We aren'...
A Polar Bear
Has Never Been
Seen Here Before
May 4, 2022 3:16 PM CDT
A Polar Bear Has Never Been Seen Here Before
Canadian police kill first polar bear observed on south shore of St. Lawrence River
- A sizable polar bear wandered into a Canadian community some distance from its traditional territory over the weekend before it was shot and killed by police. As the
reports, such incidents are likely to become more common as climate change decimates Arctic sea ice. The 650-pound bear—the first...
Banned From Classroom
for Wearing Hijab
Dec 14, 2021 5:36 PM CST
Canadian Teacher Banned From Classroom for Wearing Hijab
Trudeau says federal government might intervene in controversial Quebec case
- Hundreds of people, including students and parents, joined a protest in Canada Tuesday to support a teacher who was removed from the classroom because she wore a hijab. Fatemeh Anvari, who taught third grade at a school in Chelsea, western Quebec, was reassigned to a role outside the classroom because...
Plane Went Up With
a Marriage Proposal,
Came Crashing Down
Oct 5, 2021 11:29 AM CDT
Plane Went Up With a Marriage Proposal, Came Crashing Down
1 dead in Montreal accident
- A particularly wrenching detail has emerged in the story of a small plane crash on Saturday in Montreal. The
reports the plane that went down around 6pm was towing a "Will you marry me?" banner. It had taken off just 15 minutes prior. Pilot Gian Piero Ciambella,...
Cops: Man Punched
Nurse for Vaccinating Wife
Without His Consent
Sep 22, 2021 5:54 PM CDT
Cops: Man Punched Nurse for Vaccinating Wife Without His Consent
Woman was attacked in Quebec pharmacy
- Police in Quebec are looking for a man who apparently believed he had the authority to impose an anti-vaccine mandate in his marriage. The suspect allegedly assaulted a nurse in a Sherbrooke pharmacy Monday morning, the CBC reports. Police spokesman Martin Carrier tells Reuters that the "angry and aggressive"...
Asteroid 'Firework' Exploded
With Force of 440lbs of TNT
Mar 10, 2021 7:28 AM CST
Asteroid 'Firework' Exploded With Force of 440lbs of TNT
It was seen from 4 US states and Canada
- People in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, and Quebec, Canada, claim to have witnessed an asteroid breaking up in the sky on Sunday, which turned out to be rattling. Many people reported hearing a rumble or sonic boom as a 10-pound bowling ball-sized chunk of an asteroid—traveling at...
He Was Forced to Leave
the Shelter. Then, Tragedy
Jan 20, 2021 10:15 AM CST
He Was Forced to Leave the Shelter. Then, Tragedy
Raphael Andre, who was homeless, died in port-a-potty steps from shelter on cold Montreal night
- A homeless man's tragic death in Canada is shining a spotlight on the far-reaching consequences of the coronavirus pandemic. Montreal police say an Indigenous Innu man died overnight Saturday on a cold street just steps away from a shelter that was forced to close for the night, partly due...
To Skirt COVID Curfew,
She Put Partner on Leash
in case you missed it
Jan 16, 2021 2:40 PM CST
To Skirt COVID Curfew, She Put Partner on Leash
Effort was unsuccessful—and, ultimately, expensive
- Quebec police issued 750 tickets over the weekend as an 8pm curfew, the first of its kind in Canada, went into effect. Two of those tickets went to a couple who got creative in trying to skirt the new coronavirus restriction. As residents are allowed to be out on the...
Guy in Medieval Dress
Kills 2 With Sword
Nov 1, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Guy in Medieval Dress Kills 2 With Sword
5 injured in Quebec attack on Halloween
- A guy armed with a sword and dressed in medieval clothing killed two people and wounded five others in Quebec city on Saturday night in a Halloween night attack that police said had no indication that "the suspect may have acted for motives other than personal ones." A...
Senior Couple Safe
After Bizarre Kidnap Plot
Oct 8, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Senior Couple Safe After Bizarre Kidnap Plot
Authorties say James and Sandra Helm were taken to Canada, ransomed for cocaine
- A senior couple in upstate New York were kidnapped and driven into Canada before their captors demanded the return of 50 kilograms of cocaine or its value, $3.5 million. Prosecutors described the "terrifying ordeal," in which the victims—James Helm Sr., 76, and Sandra Helm, 70—had...
$500K Game of Rock, Paper,
Scissors Goes to Court
Apr 26, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
$500K Game of Rock, Paper, Scissors Goes to Court
Edmund Mark Hooper must be breathing a sigh of relief
- Who loses $517,000 in a game of rock, paper, scissors? Canadian man Edmund Mark Hooper does, but he must be happy today: The Quebec Court of Appeal has ruled that his devastating 2011 loss—which forced him to remortgage his home to pay up—is null and void, Sky...
Nation Can 'Breathe Freely'
After Ruling on Escalator Case
Nov 30, 2019 8:30 AM CST
Nation Can 'Breathe Freely' After Ruling on Escalator Case
Canada's Supreme Court says cops overstepped in 2009 in detaining woman who wouldn't hold rail
- When Bela Kosoian rode the escalator in a Montreal-area subway station in 2009, she probably never expected to become embroiled in a legal battle that would last for a decade. Kosoian was arrested in the Quebec city of Laval then after police officer Fabio Camacho advised her to hold onto...
Town of Asbestos
Seeks New Name
Nov 29, 2019 4:07 AM CST
Town of Asbestos Seeks New Name
Quebec town was shunned by English-speakers
- Officials in Asbestos have decided the town's name is holding it back. The small Quebec town, site of the world's largest asbestos mine, says it will announce a new name next year and residents are welcome to offer suggestions, the BBC reports. Asbestos, once considered a "miracle...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
NFL Player Got Creative to Avoid Trash-Talk Penalties
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.