Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
CEO's Warning on
Aug 25, 2022 9:14 AM CDT
CEO's Warning on China's Economy Goes Viral
In leaked email, Huawei's founder told employees that tough times lie ahead
- Tough times are ahead for China, the founder and CEO of the country's largest private company warned employees in a memo seen as unusually candid. In the leaked memo, Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei said the technology company needs to make "survival" instead of growth its main focus for...
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,'
Riddled With Corruption
Mar 6, 2022 2:50 PM CST
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,' Riddled With Corruption
Report: Corruption, fraud, and gross mismanagement risked employee lives
- In 2014, as ISIS was at the height of its power in Iraq, Swedish telecom giant Ericsson forged ahead with development of its 5G infrastructure in the region. In the process, it was likely stuffing cash into the pockets of ISIS militants. A leaked internal investigation report obtained by the...
Back to China
After US Deal
Sep 25, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Detained Huawei CFO Headed Back to China After US Deal
Meng Wanzhou had been held on fraud charges in Canada since 2018, awaiting extradition to US
- For nearly three years, Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou has been detained in Canada, awaiting extradition to the United States on fraud charges. On Friday, all of that changed, as the US and China reached an agreement and the US Justice Department dropped its extradition request, allowing Meng to go free,...
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump
Those Phones From China
Sep 22, 2021 11:33 AM CDT
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump Those Phones From China
Nation warns that devices from Huawei, others could be vulnerable to cyberattacks, censoring
- Citizens in Lithuania may want to double-check what country their smartphones were made in, as there's now a new warning out from the defense ministry telling them to dump devices manufactured in one particular country. "Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid...
China Appears to Retaliate
Against Canada Again
Aug 11, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
China Appears to Retaliate Against Canada Again
Michael Spavor sentenced to 11 years
- A Chinese court sentenced Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor to 11 years in prison Wednesday in a spying case that has been linked to Beijing's pressure campaign against the Canadian government over the arrest of an executive at tech giant Huawei. Spavor and another Canadian were detained in China in...
Death Penalty Upheld in
China for Canadian Man
Aug 10, 2021 2:02 AM CDT
Death Penalty Upheld in China for Canadian Man
Country appears to be pressuring Canada to release Huawei exec
- A Chinese court on Tuesday rejected a Canadian drug convict's appeal of a death sentence in what appeared to be an effort to step up pressure on Canada to release a detained executive of tech giant Huawei, the AP reports. The Canadian government condemned the ruling and appealed to...
China Takes Big Step
in Feud With Canada
Mar 18, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
China Takes Big Step in Feud With Canada
The '2 Michaels' to go on trial within days for spying
- The Chinese government will put two Canadians on trial for espionage within days, despite international calls for their release. Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor were arrested in 2018 in what was widely seen as retaliation for the arrest of Meng Wanzhou , an executive and the daughter of the founder of...
4th Canadian to Death
Aug 7, 2020 4:25 AM CDT
China Sentences 4th Canadian to Death
Move seen as retaliation for arrest of Huawei exec
- China has sentenced a fourth Canadian citizen to death on drug charges in less than two years following a sharp downturn in ties over the arrest of an executive of tech giant Huawei. Ye Jianhui was sentenced Friday by the Foshan Municipal Intermediate Court in the southern province of Guangdong,...
Sanctions on Huawei
Jul 15, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
Pompeo Announces Sanctions on Huawei
Certain employees of Chinese tech companies to face visa restrictions
- The State Department accused the world's largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer of human right abuses Wednesday, saying it would impose visa restrictions on employees of China's Huawei. The announcement came a week after the State Department accused China of human rights abuses and a day after the UK said...
UK Makes Big Move on Huawei
After Threat From US
Jul 14, 2020 8:19 AM CDT
UK Makes Big Move on Huawei After Threat From US
United Kingdom won't let telecom firm play a part in its new high-speed mobile phone network
- Britain's government on Tuesday backtracked on plans to give Chinese telecommunications company Huawei a limited role in the UK's new high-speed mobile phone network in a decision with broad implications for relations between London and Beijing. Britain imposed the ban after the US threatened to sever an intelligence-sharing...
After Ruling in Huawei Case,
China Charges 2 Canadians
Jun 19, 2020 12:19 AM CDT
After Ruling in Huawei Case, China Charges 2 Canadians
Detained men face espionage charges
- Chinese prosecutors charged two detained Canadians with spying Friday in an apparent bid to step up pressure on Canada to drop a US extradition request for a Huawei executive under house arrest in Vancouver. Michael Kovrig was charged in Beijing on suspicion of spying for state secrets and intelligence. Michael...
Trump Signs $1B Bill to
Replace Huawei Equipment
Mar 13, 2020 1:57 AM CDT
Trump Signs $1B Bill to Replace Huawei Equipment
Bill will help small providers with switch
- President Trump on Thursday signed into law a bill that provides $1 billion to help small telecom providers replace equipment made by China's Huawei and ZTE. The US government considers the Chinese companies a security risk and has pushed its allies not to use Huawei equipment in next-generation cellular...
US Brings New Charges
Feb 13, 2020 2:08 PM CST
US Brings New Charges Against Huawei
Chinese tech giant charged with plotting to steal trade secrets from American competitors
- The Justice Department has added new criminal charges against Chinese tech giant Huawei and two of its US subsidiaries, accusing the company in a plot to steal trade secrets from competitors in America, federal prosecutors announced Thursday. The company is also accused of installing surveillance equipment that enabled Iran to...
Jan 28, 2020 10:28 AM CST
Boris Johnson's 5G Decision Doesn't Make US Happy
UK will let China's Huawei play a role in building network, despite spying fears
- The UK said Tuesday it will let the Chinese tech firm Huawei build part of its 5G network, and the US isn't happy about it. The White House, worried the company will use its access to spy for Beijing, had wanted Huawei blackballed from the job. Coverage:
'Protesters' Demanding 'Free
Meng' Weren't Really Protesters
Jan 23, 2020 2:43 PM CST
'Protesters' Demanding 'Free Meng' Weren't Really Protesters
At least 3 have now come forward saying they were paid for the gig
- On the first day of the first stage of Huawei exec Meng Wanzhou's extradition hearing, more than a dozen apparent protesters were spotted outside the Vancouver courtroom holding signs bearing messages like "Free Ms. Meng" and "Trump stop bullying us." Only ... those weren't actually protesters....
It's a Big Day for Huawei
Exec Detained in Canada
Jan 20, 2020 3:18 PM CST
It's a Big Day for Huawei Exec Detained in Canada
First phase of Meng Wanzhou's extradition hearing begins
- The first stage of an extradition hearing for a senior executive of Chinese tech giant Huawei started in a Vancouver courtroom Monday, a case that has infuriated Beijing, caused a diplomatic uproar between China and Canada, and complicated high-stakes trade talks between China and the United States. The
US Gives Chinese
Tech Giant a Reprieve
Aug 19, 2019 9:19 AM CDT
US Gives Chinese Tech Giant a Reprieve
Huawei gets another 90 days to do business with US companies
- The US will give Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei another 90 days to buy supplies from American companies. It's the second extension for Huawei, a company the US sees as a national security risk. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross revealed the new reprieve on Fox Business News Monday morning, and the...
In Trump-Xi Meeting, a
'Surprising Move' by Trump
Jun 29, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
In Trump-Xi Meeting, a 'Surprising Move' by Trump
President says trade talks are back on, appears to reverse ban on US companies selling to Huawei
- What had been dubbed a "most suspenseful meeting" between President Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the G20 summit is now over, and by Trump's account, the meeting went well. So well, in fact, that trade talks between the US and China are now...
China Will Make Big
Demand of Trump
Jun 28, 2019 6:46 AM CDT
China Will Make Big Demand of Trump
Xi Jinping reportedly wants tariffs nixed and Huawei ban lifted to jump-start trade talks
- There's a sliver of hope trade talks may resume between the US and China and that a trade war could soon be over, but China has some demands first. The
Wall Street Journal
reports Robert Lighthizer, the chief US trade representative, is set to meet with his Chinese equivalent...
China Goes After FedEx
for 'Diverted' Packages
Jun 1, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
China Goes After FedEx for 'Diverted' Packages
A new development in the Huawei hubbub
- China's state media says the country is investigating FedEx after it allegedly diverted packages sent by Chinese tech giant Huawei, the AP reports. The official Xinhua News Agency said Saturday that FedEx "severely harmed clients' legitimate rights and interests and violated China's delivery industry regulations." Four...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.