Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Reporter vs. Mugger: 'Wrong
Blind Person, Wrong Day'
Dec 28, 2022 9:06 AM CST
Reporter vs. Mugger: 'Wrong Blind Person, Wrong Day'
BBC correspondent Sean Dilley didn't let his lack of sight keep him from defeating a phone thief
- A thief may have surprised BBC journalist Sean Dilley by lifting his phone on the streets of London, but it was Dilley who had an even bigger surprise for the thief. The BBC reports that its correspondent, who was working the night shift at New Broadcasting House, BBC's headquarters...
Musk Says He'll Make
'Alternative Phone' if He Has To
Nov 28, 2022 12:23 PM CST
Musk Says He'll Make 'Alternative Phone' if He Has To
He asks if Apple hates 'free speech in America'
- Elon Musk has declared that a " general amnesty " for suspended Twitter accounts will begin this week, as long as the users haven't broken the law—and while some analysts warn that the move and other content moderations issues could lead to a ban from Apple and Google'...
Apple to Adopt
Oct 26, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
'No Choice': Apple to Adopt USB-C Chargers
Greg Joswiak confirms company will comply with new laws, despite its opposition
- Apple has "no choice" but to begin making iPhones with a USB-C port, rather than one to fit its Lightning cables, an official has confirmed. Greg Joswiak, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing, tells the
Wall Street Journal
that "we'll have to comply" with new...
After 'Fervent' Bidding,
2007 iPhone Sells for $39K
Oct 18, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
After 'Fervent' Bidding, 2007 iPhone Sells for $39K
15-year-old 8GB device in unopened box is said to be in 'exceptional' condition
- The starting bid for a 15-year-old iPhone on the LCG Auctions site was listed as $2,500, but the now-ancient (in tech years) device ended up going for a whole lot more. Gizmodo reports that the unopened 2007 iPhone, a first-gen 8GB model from the year Apple debuted its smartphone,...
Calls for Help
Oct 3, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
Police haven't determined what caused accident in Lincoln, Nebraska
- A passenger's cellphone automatically alerted responders after a car hit a tree early Sunday in a Nebraska crash that killed all six of the vehicle's young occupants, authorities said. Five men in the Honda Accord died at the scene of the crash around 2:15am in Lincoln, about...
Apple Won't Like New
EU Rule on Charging Cords
Jun 8, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Apple Won't Like New EU Rule on Charging Cords
USB-C cable will be required for devices, from phones to headphones to GPS units, from 2024
- Forget rummaging through the junk drawer. Soon, Europeans will need to reach for just one cable to charge their smartphones and other devices, the AP reports. European Union officials said they inked a provisional agreement Tuesday that will require a uniform charging cord in the 27-nation bloc. The new rules,...
Toddler Takes Himself on
$2K Online Shopping Spree
Jan 25, 2022 7:38 AM CST
Toddler Takes Himself on $2K Online Shopping Spree
22-month-old Ayaansh Kumar teaches his parents a lesson about phone security
- Born at the start of the pandemic, Ayaansh Kumar is no stranger to screens. The 22-month-old from Monmouth Junction, NJ, often plays on mom Madhu Kumar's phone, mimicking his older siblings who've been studying virtually over the last two years. However, his parents never expected that he was...
RIP to an Iconic
Jan 4, 2022 7:27 AM CST
RIP to an Iconic Mobile Device
BlackBerry is discontinuing service after Tuesday on all of its devices not running on Android software
- If you're still clinging to your older BlackBerry not for nostalgia's sake but for actual functionality, you're out of luck after today. In what multiple outlets are calling the "end of an era," the Canadian company known for its once-ubiquitous mobile devices with thumb-friendly QWERTY...
Man Steals Reporter's Phone,
Has Face Seen by Millions
Oct 21, 2021 11:44 AM CDT
Man Steals Reporter's Phone, Has Face Seen by Millions
Egyptian man was arrested hours later
- A Cairo-area reporter had his phone grabbed from his hands by a thief on a motorbike, but it wasn't exactly the perfect crime—the reporter had been livestreaming a broadcast at the time, and the thief's face was seen by millions. The Youm7 news site says its reporter,...
In a Shot at Apple, Europe
Plans New Law on Chargers
Sep 23, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
In a Shot at Apple, Europe Plans New Law on Chargers
Legislation would require that phones, etc., use universal charger, a USB-C
- Anyone who's fought with a tangle of wires hunting for the right charger may find themselves cheering a proposed law in Europe: It would require that all phones, tablets, and all other such electronic devices use the same type of charger—a USB-C, reports the BBC . Apple is already...
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump
Those Phones From China
Sep 22, 2021 11:33 AM CDT
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump Those Phones From China
Nation warns that devices from Huawei, others could be vulnerable to cyberattacks, censoring
- Citizens in Lithuania may want to double-check what country their smartphones were made in, as there's now a new warning out from the defense ministry telling them to dump devices manufactured in one particular country. "Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid...
Apple: Don't Attach iPhones
to High-Power Motorcycles
Sep 13, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Apple: Don't Attach iPhones to High-Power Motorcycles
Company says it can permanently damage camera
- The iPhone apparently was not born to be wild. Apple warned users last week that attaching iPhones to powerful motorcycles exposes the devices to " intense high-amplitude vibrations" that could damage camera systems, the BBC reports. A support document released Friday states that vibrations "transmitted through the chassis and...
Can You Stay Away From Tech
for a Day? $2.4K Awaits
Mar 22, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Can You Stay Away From Tech for a Day? $2.4K Awaits
Reviews.org's 'detox' challenge offers the chance to ditch your phone, TV, other devices for cash prize
- Could you go a whole day without checking your smartphone, posting on Instagram, and watching TV? There could be $2,400 in it for you if you think you're up for the task. CNN reports on the 2021 Digital Detox Challenge being held by Reviews.org , which offers a...
Verizon's Advice on Saving
Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Mar 1, 2021 8:39 AM CST
Verizon's Advice on Saving Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Tweet indirectly suggested turning off 5G, which the company has been heavily promoting
- Just last week, MarketWatch asked: "Will 5G ever live up to the hype?" According to those who spotted now-deleted tweets from Verizon about the much-promoted cellular technology, it looks like the answer, at least for now, is somewhat of a no. The Verge first spotted the company's Sunday...
Are You Using Your
iPhone's 'Secret Button'?
in case you missed it
Nov 7, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Are You Using Your iPhone's 'Secret Button'?
Back of the phone has been touch-sensitive since late September
- The latest update to iPhone software added a nifty new feature that may have escaped the attention of many users. It added what Chaim Gartenberg at the
calls a "secret button"—the back of the phone. The Back Tap feature turns the "entire back of your...
Phone Costs $2K
Sep 1, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Samsung's New Phone Costs $2K
Folding phone is 'definitely a luxury device'
- Samsung has again unveiled a folding phone with a price tag of almost $2,000—and it says the $1,999 Galaxy Z Fold 2 won't suffer from the issues that plagued the original Galaxy Fold last year. Samsung says the phone, its third folding phone and one that...
FBI Cracks Phone of Shooter
on Base, Finds al-Qaeda Link
May 18, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
FBI Cracks Phone of Shooter on Base, Finds al-Qaeda Link
Saudi shooter at Pensacola naval base killed 3 Americans
- Last year, a Saudi military officer training at a US naval base in Florida shot and killed three American sailors and wounded eight others. Now, federal authorities have finally broken into one or both of his iPhones and discovered a link to al-Qaeda, reports the
New York Times
. The gunman,...
Apple, Google Plan
Virus Tracing on
Apr 10, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Apple, Google Plan Virus Tracing on Smartphones
Users would be warned they'd been exposed to someone who tested positive
- Apple and Google announced Friday that they're teaming up to build software that would let people use their smartphones to follow the potential spread of the coronavirus. Contact tracing could support governments removing stay-at-home orders, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The tools would use Bluetooth to keep track of...
The Proper Way
to Clean Your Phone
Mar 13, 2020 12:57 PM CDT
The Proper Way to Clean Your Phone
The AP has some tips, including what not to do
- You're washing your hands countless times a day to try to ward off the coronavirus. You should also wash that extension of your hand and breeding ground for germs—your phone, per the AP . Tests done by scientists show that the virus can live for two to three days...
This Is Why
Movie Bad Guys
Never Have iPhones
Feb 27, 2020 9:20 AM CST
This Is Why Movie Bad Guys Never Have iPhones
Knives Out director spills the beans
- In the version of the world that Apple wants to see on the big screen, only the good guys have iPhones, according to
director Rian Johnson. In what may be a spoiler for
and numerous other films, Johnson tells
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.