Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cruise Ship Pulled
Free After 3 Days
Sep 14, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Pulled Free After 3 Days
Vessel ran aground in a remote part of Greenland
- A luxury cruise ship that ran aground in a remote part of Greenland above the Arctic Circle has been freed after three days, reports the AP . A fisheries research vessel came to the rescue earlier than expected and managed to pull the MV Ocean Explorer free at high tide on...
Cruise Ship Returns
Minus a Passenger
Sep 6, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Returns Minus a Passenger
Kevin McGrath last seen around 2am Monday aboard Carnival Conquest, bound for Miami
- A 26-year-old man has been reported missing after his Carnival cruise ship returned to Florida, apparently without him. Kevin McGrath left Miami aboard Carnival Conquest on Friday for a Labor Day weekend cruise to Bimini, in the Bahamas. However, McGrath wasn't accounted for when the ship returned to Miami...
World's Biggest Cruise Ship
Loses Passenger Near Cuba
Sep 2, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
World's Biggest Cruise Ship Loses Passenger Near Cuba
Search is on for Sigmund Ropich, 19, who went overboard Royal Caribbean's Wonder of the Seas
- A college student vacationing with friends who went overboard the largest cruise ship in the world earlier this week is still missing, though the search for him continues—for now. Per Insider , 19-year-old Sigmund Ropich vanished from Royal Caribbean's Wonder of the Seas on Tuesday night when the ship...
Amsterdam Doesn't Want
More Cruise Tourists
Jul 21, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Amsterdam Doesn't Want More Cruise Tourists
Cruise ships are being banned from city center
- Amsterdam is trying to reduce the number of tourists that visit the city—especially cruise ship tourists, who have been likened to a "plague of locusts" by city council member Ilana Rooderkerk. The council has voted to ban cruise ships from docking in the city center and to close...
Cruise Passengers Get a Gory
Welcome to Port: the 'Grind'
Jul 14, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Cruise Passengers Get a Gory Welcome to Port: the 'Grind'
Ship arrived in Faroe Islands as 78 pilot whales were being slaughtered, a centuries-old tradition
- It's not a sight you especially want to see as your cruise ship pulls into port. But as Ambassador Cruise Line's Ambition approached Torshavn, the capital of Denmark's self-governing Faroe Islands, over the weekend, the water was red with blood, leaving passengers horrified. What happened on Sunday,...
Woman Falls From
Cruise Ship's 10th Deck
Jun 29, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Woman Falls From Cruise Ship's 10th Deck
US citizen was rescued, which is somewhat unusual in these incidents
- A woman fell from the 10th deck of a Royal Caribbean cruise ship Sunday, but fortunately, the story has an almost shockingly happy ending. Not only was the 42-year-old US citizen rescued from the water, but a Coast Guard statement regarding the incident says she was "in good health"...
110 Passengers Sickened
in Viking Cruise Outbreak
Jun 20, 2023 3:32 PM CDT
110 Passengers Sickened in Viking Cruise Outbreak
It's the 13th cruise ship norovirus outbreak so far this year, the CDC says
- A 14-day Viking cruise that ended Tuesday was a sickening experience for many passengers, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigation update. The CDC says 110 of the 838 passengers on board—13.1% of the total—and nine of the 455 crew members became ill with...
Ran Into Anything But
May 30, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Carnival's Sunshine Ran Into Anything But
Cruise ship on its way back to Charleston, SC, was battered by high seas
- If you've ever taken a cruise and enjoyed buffets, deck-top pools, night-time entertainment, quaint ports-of-call, and sunshine, well, don't talk to the passengers aboard the Carnival Sunshine who were returning from the Bahamas to Charleston, South Carolina, this weekend. The ship, which can carry upward of 4,000...
As Cruise Trips Rebound,
So Do Stomach Viruses
May 21, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
As Cruise Trips Rebound, So Do Stomach Viruses
With 11 outbreaks so far, this is the sickest year for cruise ships since 2018
- While most noroviruses don't last long, contracting one can still a rough experience—especially when you're at sea, thousands of miles from home. Unfortunately for many people on cruise ships in 2023, getting sick is part of the experience, per Quartz . Citing stats from the CDC , the outlet...
Lawsuit: Florida Cruise Line
Stored Body in Cooler
Apr 23, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Florida Cruise Line Stored Body in Cooler
Family is suing after Robert L. Jones's body decomposed over six days
- Robert L. Jones died of a heart attack in August at age 78 while on the Celebrity Equinox cruise ship with his wife, Marilyn. The couple were on a trip from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean, reports
, and still had six days to go. According to a Jones...
Passenger on Virgin Voyages
Falls to Death, Strikes Another
Apr 4, 2023 2:33 PM CDT
Passenger on Virgin Voyages Falls to Death, Strikes Another
The Valiant Lady immediately returned to port
- A passenger died after falling from a balcony on a Virgin Voyages cruise ship over the weekend, reports
. The passenger on the Valiant Lady was mortally injured Sunday after landing on a lower deck of the ship, striking another passenger, who was uninjured, according to
Need an Escape?
Live on This
Cruise Ship for
$30K a Year
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 11, 2023 4:35 PM CST
Need an Escape? Live on This Cruise Ship for $30K a Year
Life at Sea cruises is offering a 3-year cruise
- How much does it cost you to live your life each year? If the answer is more than $30,000, you may want to consider a new offering from Life at Sea Cruises: a three-year cruise, priced at $30,000 per person per year. The MV Gemini sets off on...
This Odd Stowaway Lived
on Cruise Ship for Weeks
Mar 9, 2023 12:00 PM CST
This Odd Stowaway Lived on Cruise Ship for Weeks
A Florida wildlife official captured the bird after Royal Caribbean ship docked
- In late January, a burrowing owl caused headaches for Florida Fish and Wildlife officials when it decided to stow away for two weeks on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. The small owl , named for its habit of nesting and roosting underground in locations like golf courses, is well-adapted to living...
on Cruise Ship
Due to 'Biofoul'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 7, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Passengers Stuck on Cruise Ship Due to 'Biofoul'
Ship was not allowed to dock after fungus found on hull
- "Biofoul" found growing on the hull of a cruise ship left more than 800 passengers stuck aboard the ship for nearly a week of the holiday season. The Viking Orion has not been allowed to dock in Australia after a marine growth was discovered on the ship's hull...
Cruise Survivor Can't
Say How He Fell
Into the Gulf
Dec 2, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Cruise Survivor Can't Say How He Fell Into the Gulf
Survivor kept treading water because he didn't accept it was the end of the line
- James Michael Grimes remembers having drinks at a bar on the Carnival Valor with his sister the night before Thanksgiving. The next thing he knew, he was treading water in the Gulf of Mexico after regaining consciousness, with no memory of how he got there, CNN reports. "I came...
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship,
Claims Life of Passenger
Dec 2, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
Rogue wave slams into Viking ship off the coast of Argentina
- A freakishly large wave slammed into a cruise ship off the coast of Argentina and claimed the life of a passenger, reports AFP . Four other people on the Viking cruise were injured, though details of the death and their injuries were not revealed. However, all four of the injured are...
Cruise Passenger Found in
Gulf Was Seconds From Death
Nov 30, 2022 9:36 AM CST
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
'The survivor had about 30 seconds to a minute left'
- One of the US Coast Guard officers who helped rescue the Carnival cruise ship passenger who went overboard last Wednesday night says the 28-year-old was moments from death when he was pulled from the water. Richard Hoefle tells CBS News he estimates "the survivor had about 30 seconds to...
We May Put
Sep 19, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
NYC Mayor: We May Put Migrants on Cruise Ships
Eric Adams suggests the idea as more flood into city
- As New York City scrambles to handle a deluge of migrants bused in from the southern border, Mayor Eric Adams has raised a controversial idea—putting them on cruise ships. "We're examining everything, from the legality of using any type of cruise ship for temporary housing," Adams...
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
Carnival Cruise Ship Brawl
Ends in Coast Guard Escort
Jun 29, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Carnival Cruise Ship Brawl Ends in Coast Guard Escort
Up to 60 people were reportedly fighting on ship's dance floor
- Up to 60 people were involved in a brawl on a Carnival cruise ship, which ultimately required a Coast Guard escort back to New York on Tuesday. The fight erupted on a dance floor on the Carnival Magic around 5:20am Tuesday just before the ship was scheduled to wrap...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Woman Has Struggled to Prove She's Not Dead for 16 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.