Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
All 41 Trapped India Workers Have Been Pulled Out
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ash Carter Oversaw
Big Changes to US Military
Oct 25, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Ash Carter Oversaw Big Changes to US Military
Former defense secretary dies of heart attack at age 68
- Ash Carter, who as defense secretary in the final two years of the Obama administration opened military combat jobs to women and ended a ban on transgender people serving in the military, has died at age 68. Carter died after suffering a heart attack on Monday evening, according a statement...
Esper Writes of
May 2, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Ex-DOD Chief Esper Writes of 'Surreal' Incident With Trump
Former defense secretary writes in memoir that Trump wanted to shoot George Floyd protesters
- Mark Esper was fired as defense secretary by then-President Trump shortly after the 2020 election. But while Esper's stint heading up the Pentagon was short—he'd been sworn in during the summer of 2019—he was still witness to some notable events in his time under No. 45,...
Trump's Ex-DOD Chief Sues
Pentagon Over Memoir
Nov 29, 2021 7:32 AM CST
Trump's Ex-DOD Chief Sues Pentagon Over Memoir
Mark Esper says Defense Department is blocking parts of his manuscript it thought were 'too candid'
- Mark Esper's memoir,
A Sacred Oath
, is due out in May from William Morrow, but readers may not see everything he originally included in its pages, thanks to the Pentagon. The former defense secretary in the Trump administration is now suing the agency he once led, claiming that sections...
At Elizabeth Holmes' Trial,
a Familiar but Unexpected Face
Sep 23, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
At Elizabeth Holmes' Trial, a Familiar but Unexpected Face
Ex-SecDef James Mattis testified that former Theranos CEO misled him on blood-testing tech
- Former US Secretary of Defense James Mattis testified Wednesday in the trial of fallen tech star Elizabeth Holmes, saying the entrepreneur misled him into believing she was on the verge of rolling out a blood-testing breakthrough that he hoped would help save lives of troops in battle. Mattis' appearance came...
Donald Rumsfeld Dies
Jun 30, 2021 3:28 PM CDT
Donald Rumsfeld Dies
Defense secretary under 2 presidents never expressed regrets over Iraq war
- Donald Rumsfeld, the oldest—and youngest—defense secretary in American history, has died. Relatives said in a statement Wednesday that the 88-year-old "was surrounded by family in his beloved Taos, New Mexico," the AP reports. A family spokesman says the cause was multiple myeloma. Rumsfeld, who grew up...
US Has Its First Black
Jan 22, 2021 10:15 AM CST
US Has Its First Black Defense Secretary
Lloyd Austin wins confirmation to run the Pentagon
- Lloyd J. Austin, a West Point graduate who rose to the Army's elite ranks and marched through racial barriers in a 41-year career, won Senate confirmation Friday to become the nation's first Black secretary of defense, per the AP . The 93-2 vote gave President Biden his second Cabinet...
to Run Pentagon,
Jan 14, 2021 11:19 AM CST
Biden Asks Trump Holdover to Run Pentagon, Temporarily
David Norquist will run Pentagon until Biden pick Lloyd Austin is confirmed
- The history books will reflect that Joe Biden's very first defense secretary was an appointee of Donald Trump. But David Norquist will not be in the role very long. Politico reports that Biden will ask Norquist, who currently serves as deputy secretary of defense, to run the Pentagon until...
From All 10
Jan 4, 2021 6:39 AM CST
From All 10 Ex-Defense Secretaries, an 'Exceptional' Op-Ed
They note Biden has won, warn the military has no place getting involved in any election disputes
- "The time for questioning the results has passed; the time for the formal counting of the electoral college votes, as prescribed in the Constitution and statute, has arrived." So reads an unusual op-ed that appeared Sunday in the
, co-signed by all 10 living ex-defense secretaries. The...
Biden's Pentagon Pick
Dec 8, 2020 12:13 AM CST
Biden's Pentagon Pick Already Controversial
Lloyd Austin is only recently retired from the military
- President-elect Biden will nominate retired four-star Army general Lloyd J. Austin to be secretary of defense, according to four people familiar with the decision who spoke to the AP . If confirmed by the Senate, Austin would be the first Black leader of the Pentagon. Biden selected Austin over the longtime...
NATO Chief Responds
to Trump's Troop Cuts
Nov 17, 2020 4:41 PM CST
NATO Chief Responds to Trump's Troop Cuts
ISIS could take advantage of the vacuum in Afghanistan, secretary-general says
- President Trump's plan to reduce US forces in Afghanistan and Iraq in the next two months drew a warning Tuesday from NATO. "The price for leaving too soon or in an uncoordinated way could be very high," said Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, per the BBC . He said Afghanistan...
Nov 13, 2020 12:55 PM CST
Frontrunner for Biden Defense Chief Would Make History
Michele Flournoy, who served at Pentagon under Obama, would be first woman in role
- As President-elect Biden starts to make picks for his administration, one name being floated for a Cabinet position would be a historic one. The
reports that a frontrunner to head the Defense Department is Michele Flournoy, who served as the department's undersecretary of defense for policy under President...
Trump Responds to
Mattis' Scathing Rebuke
Jun 4, 2020 6:19 AM CDT
Trump Responds to Mattis' Scathing Rebuke
President calls his ex-defense secretary 'overrated'
- James Mattis pulled no punches Wednesday in a statement blasting President Trump for his response to the George Floyd protests, calling Trump "the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people." Trump fired back at his ex-defense secretary later that evening, per...
Dec 10, 2019 7:01 PM CST
Judge Rules Against Trump Administration in Border Wall Case
Federal judge says $3.6B in Pentagon funds can't be diverted to wall construction
- The secretary of defense in September authorized the diverting of $3.6 billion in Pentagon funds to build the border wall, but on Tuesday, a federal judge in Texas blocked the Trump administration from doing that, CNN reports. El Paso County, Texas, and Border Network for Human Rights had sued...
Tweet Draws Derision
Oct 20, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
'Error-Ridden' Trump Tweet Draws Derision
For one thing, he called the defense secretary 'Mark Esperanto'
- President Trump wrote an "error-ridden" tweet Sunday that inspired reporters to take it apart pretty much word by word,
reports. Now deleted—after thousands of shares—the tweet referred to Secretary of Defense Mark Esper as "Mark Esperanto" and made claims that raised a few eyebrows: "...
After Reported Insult From
Trump, Mattis Pushes Back
Oct 18, 2019 7:15 AM CDT
After Reported Insult From Trump, Mattis Pushes Back
'I'm the Meryl Streep of generals,' he joked at Alfred E. Smith dinner
- In an
interview published in August, James Mattis promised that his silence on all things Trump wouldn't be "eternal." CNN reports that on Thursday evening, the former defense secretary lifted the veil just a bit, making joke s about the president at the annual Alfred E. Smith...
Pentagon: We're Sending Jets,
Other Air Defense to Saudis
Oct 11, 2019 12:45 PM CDT
Pentagon: We're Sending Jets, Other Air Defense to Saudis
Defense Secretary Mark Esper announces move after Iran claims 2 missiles struck its tanker
- The US will send fighter jets and additional air defenses to Saudi Arabia to defend the kingdom against Iran amid heightened tensions between the two Middle Eastern adversaries, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Friday. Esper announced the deployment of several dozen fighter jets, along with other aircraft and additional air...
US Sending Troops
to Saudi Arabia, UAE
Sep 21, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
US Sending Troops to Saudi Arabia, UAE
No military strike against Iran yet, though
- The Pentagon on Friday announced it will deploy additional US troops and missile defense equipment to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, as President Trump has at least for now put off any immediate military strike on Iran in response to the attack on the Saudi oil industry. Defense...
'I Had No
Aug 29, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Ex-Defense Chief: 'I Had No Choice but to Leave'
James Mattis says his silence will not be 'eternal'
- In an interview with the
, former defense chief James Mattis makes clear he is not ready to start bad-mouthing President Trump or his policies. But he also suggested that may change. “There is a period in which I owe my silence," he tells Jeffrey Goldberg. "It’...
The Pentagon Finally
Gets a Permanent Leader
Jul 23, 2019 12:03 PM CDT
The Pentagon Finally Gets a Permanent Leader
Mark Esper confirmed by Senate as defense secretary
- The Senate has confirmed Army veteran and former defense industry lobbyist Mark Esper as secretary of defense. The 55-year-old won Senate confirmation on Tuesday by a vote of 90-8 and is to be sworn in by day's end. His confirmation ends a stretch of seven months the Pentagon didn'...
Pick for Defense Chief
Abruptly Drops Out
Jun 18, 2019 1:06 PM CDT
Pick for Defense Chief Abruptly Drops Out
Trump thanks Patrick Shanahan, says ex-nominee wants to spend more time with family
- President Trump will need a new nominee to run the Pentagon. Trump announced via tweet that Patrick Shanahan, the current acting defense secretary, has taken his name out of the running for the top job, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Shanahan "has done a wonderful job" but "has...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.