Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Senate Judiciary Committee
Stories 21 - 40 |
Barr Is 'Slicing
the Onion Very,
May 1, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Barr Is 'Slicing the Onion Very, Very Thinly'
And other reactions from the media universe
- Reaction to William Barr's appearance before the Senate Judiciary Committee is no calmer than anything else these days. "He must resign as attorney general," states NBC News analyst Mimi Rocah. "William Barr torched his reputation," cries the
. On the other side: "No,...
'I Didn't Exonerate':
Barr Goes Before the Senate
May 1, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
'I Didn't Exonerate': Barr Goes Before the Senate
Attorney general appears before the Senate Judiciary Committee
- Into the lion's den. Attorney General William Barr is now appearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee in what is the first time he is facing lawmakers' questions since he released the Mueller report. A couple hours in, the AP reports that "private tensions between Justice Department leaders and...
Lack of Women
Oct 6, 2018 11:20 AM CDT
Grassley Explains Lack of Women on Judiciary Committee
The veteran senator says it might be 'workload'
- "It's a lot of work—maybe they don't want to do it." So says Sen. Chuck Grassley on why the Senate Judiciary Committee that supported Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination had no female Republicans, per the
Wall Street Journal
. "My chief of staff of...
but a New Snag Emerges
Sep 28, 2018 2:19 PM CDT
Kavanaugh Advances, but a New Snag Emerges
Senate Republicans agree to a one-week delay in floor vote for an FBI investigation
- On to the full Senate, eventually. The Judiciary Committee on Friday voted to advance Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination, but not without some last-minute drama and confusion. The panel voted along party lines, 11-10, but just before the roll call, Republican Jeff Flake asked for a one-week delay in...
Just Got Much Brighter
Sep 28, 2018 9:13 AM CDT
Kavanaugh's Prospects Just Got Much Brighter
GOP's Jeff Flake will back him, making approval likely in Senate committee Friday afternoon
- After Thursday's high drama , the Senate Judiciary Committee looks poised to advance Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination to the full Senate. The vote is scheduled for 1:30pm Eastern, reports NPR . Going into the day, the main suspense had been whether Republican Jeff Flake of Arizona would side...
GOP Is Going Ahead With
Friday Vote on Kavanaugh
Sep 28, 2018 1:33 AM CDT
GOP Is Going Ahead With Friday Vote on Kavanaugh
Jeff Flake says he's still making his mind up
- The future of Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination is unclear after Thursday's dramatic hearing —but Republicans still plan to hold a Senate Judiciary Committee vote on Friday. GOP Sen. John Cornyn said after a Thursday night meeting that the plan is to hold a vote Friday, paving...
Prosecutor to Ford:
'I'm Very Sorry'
Sep 27, 2018 12:04 PM CDT
Prosecutor to Ford: 'I'm Very Sorry'
Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination hangs in the balance in Senate testimony
- She's positive it happened. That's one big theme emerging from Christine Blasey Ford's highly anticipated testimony Thursday before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Ford told senators she has no doubt that it was Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh who accosted her on a bed at a party in...
to Hit Kavanaugh
Sep 27, 2018 1:40 AM CDT
5th Accusation to Hit Kavanaugh Is Recanted
As he calls the 4th 'total Twilight Zone'
- Brett Kavanaugh firmly denied a fourth and a fifth allegation of sexual misconduct—one of which was later recanted—in a Tuesday conference call with Senate Judiciary Committee investigators, according to a transcript released late Wednesday. In one claim, made in an anonymous letter sent to Republican Sen. Cory Gardner,...
Kavanaugh Accuser Submits
4 Affidavits Backing Her Claim
Sep 26, 2018 8:31 AM CDT
Kavanaugh Accuser Submits 4 Affidavits Backing Her Claim
But nominee's lawyer complains Christine Blasey Ford hasn't submitted polygraph
- Lawyers for Christine Blasey Ford say they have submitted sworn affidavits to the Senate Judiciary Committee from four people who say she told them she had been assaulted in high school. The four sworn affidavits are among the information the committee is considering on the eve of Ford and Supreme...
Senate GOP Hires Woman to
Question Ford, Kavanaugh
Sep 26, 2018 7:03 AM CDT
Senate GOP Hires Woman to Question Ford, Kavanaugh
Rachel Mitchell has experience prosecuting sex crimes
- Brett Kavanaugh and accuser Christine Blasey Ford are expected to appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday—but viewers will not see Ford questioned on her sexual assault allegations by the 11-strong, all-male Republican contingent on the committee. Instead, they have hired Rachel Mitchell, an Arizona prosecutor with experience...
Lawyers: Kavanaugh Accuser
Has Received Death Threats
Sep 19, 2018 12:31 AM CDT
Lawyers: Kavanaugh Accuser Has Received Death Threats
She wants an FBI investigation before she testifies
- The woman who accuses Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her doesn't want to relive the "traumatic and harrowing incident" until the FBI has carried out an investigation. Lawyers for Christina Blasey Ford released a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday saying an investigation...
Anita Hill Offers
Advice to Senators
Sep 18, 2018 11:21 AM CDT
Anita Hill Offers Advice to Senators
Have a neutral investigation done, and don't rush
- The Senate Judiciary Committee has invited Brett Kavanaugh and his accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, to testify on Monday . Too soon, writes Anita Hill in the
New York Times
. In an op-ed offering senators advice on how to proceed from her unique perspective, Hill suggests that senators first employ a neutral,...
Sep 13, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Brett Kavanaugh Explains This Viral Moment
Says he didn't recognize Parkland school shooting victim's dad
- Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh says he would have shaken the hand of a school shooting victim's father during a break in last week's Senate hearing had he recognized him before being whisked away by security detail. Kavanaugh's explanation for the encounter with Fred Guttenberg, captured in...
Booker Releases New Batch
of Kavanaugh Records
Sep 13, 2018 5:27 AM CDT
Booker Releases New Batch of Kavanaugh Records
He says they raise 'concerning questions' about Supreme Court nominee's honesty
- Sen. Cory Booker released a new batch of confidential documents about Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh Wednesday night, even after a conservative judicial group referred his earlier disclosures to the Senate Ethics Committee. The 28 new documents from Kavanaugh's time in the White House counsel's office during the...
On Eve of Hearing,
Lawyer Releases 42K
Pages on Kavanaugh
Sep 4, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
On Eve of Hearing, Lawyer Releases 42K Pages on Kavanaugh
Schumer slams 'least transparent SCOTUS process in history'
- Tuesday is the first day of Senate Judiciary Committee hearings on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh—but only those who were able to review 42,000 pages of documents overnight will be fully prepared, according to Sen. Chuck Schumer. The Senate minority leader blasted the "absurd" process Monday night...
Let Senate Vote on
Bill to Safeguard Mueller
Apr 18, 2018 6:41 AM CDT
McConnell Won't Let Senate Vote on Bill to Safeguard Mueller
His reasoning is that it's unnecessary
- "I'm the one who decides what we take to the floor," Mitch McConnell said Tuesday in a Fox News interview during which he explained that bipartisan legislation intended to safeguard special counsel Robert Mueller from being fired by President Trump won't make the cut. "We...
Does Not Go Well
Dec 15, 2017 12:13 PM CST
Questioning of Judicial Nominee Does Not Go Well
Matthew Petersen struggles with some of the basics
- The confirmation hearing of a judicial nominee is getting way more attention than such a hearing typically would, for the wrong reasons. Matthew Petersen is a lawyer on the Federal Election Committee, but he has no trial experience, notes the
. That fact caught the attention of GOP Sen....
Trump Judicial Pick
Made 'Glaring Omission'
Nov 14, 2017 2:09 AM CST
Trump Judicial Pick Made 'Glaring Omission'
He failed to mention wife is a White House lawyer
- One of President Trump's nominee for a federal judgeship is taking flak from Democrats for failing to mention a potential conflict of interest—the fact that his wife, Ann Donaldson, is one of Trump's senior White House lawyers. Brett Talley failed to mention in the Senate questionnaire for...
DOJ: Sessions May Appoint
Special Counsel for Clinton
Nov 14, 2017 12:08 AM CST
DOJ: Sessions May Appoint Special Counsel for Clinton
Attorney general wants federal prosecutors to 'evaluate certain issues'
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions is leaving open the possibility that a special counsel could be appointed to look into Clinton Foundation dealings and an Obama-era uranium deal , the Justice Department said Monday. In a letter to the House Judiciary Committee, the Justice Department said Sessions had directed senior federal prosecutors...
Trump Jr. Gives Congress New
Reason for Russia Meeting
Sep 7, 2017 1:27 PM CDT
Trump Jr. Gives Congress New Reason for Russia Meeting
He says he wanted to determine Clinton's 'fitness' for office
- Donald Trump Jr. now says he took last June's meeting with a Kremlin-connected lawyer promising damaging information on Hillary Clinton because he felt it was important he determine Clinton's "fitness" for office. The
New York Times
received a copy of a statement Trump gave to the Senate...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.