Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
a 'Minor Fall'
Aug 9, 2023 10:24 AM CDT
Feinstein Takes a 'Minor Fall'
Senate's oldest member visited hospital, is recovering at home
- The hits—or really, the falls and senior moments—just keep coming for a couple of the United States Senate's most venerable and aged members, Dianne Feinstein and Mitch McConnell , both of whom are facing calls from members of their own parties to step down. As CBS News reports,...
May 22, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Fourth Democratic Senator Is Retiring
Delaware's Tom Carper won't run again, opens way for another Black female senator
- Another longtime Democratic senator is retiring, the fourth in this election cycle. Tom Carper of Delaware announced his decision on Monday, reports Politico . The 76-year-old, who serves as chairman of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, first won the seat in 2000, per the
Delaware News Journal
Feinstein's Health Issues
Went Beyond Shingles
May 18, 2023 7:45 PM CDT
Feinstein's Health Issues Went Beyond Shingles
Senator endured encephalitis and facial paralysis but won't talk about resigning
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein's return to Capitol Hill after more than two months has not put a stop to questions about whether she's healthy enough to continue in office—they've only increased as the California Democrat struggles to perform her duties. The extent of Feinstein's battle with...
Exchange With Journo
May 17, 2023 6:41 AM CDT
Dianne Feinstein Has 'Concerning' Exchange With Journo
Senator insists she hasn't 'been gone' from Congress
- In an exchange being called "bizarre" and "concerning," Dianne Feinstein appeared to insist she'd never actually been absent from the Senate, though the senator was away from Washington, DC, for months while recovering from shingles. Slate reporter Jim Newell says that as Feinstein exited an elevator...
Feinstein Returns to Senate,
Plans to Keep Lighter Schedule
May 10, 2023 7:50 PM CDT
Feinstein Returns to Senate, Plans to Keep Lighter Schedule
Democrat cast her first vote since February
- For the first time since Feb. 16, California Sen. Dianne Feinstein cast a vote in the Senate. Feinstein, who has been absent because of health issues, returned to the Capitol on Wednesday afternoon, greeted at her car outside by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, NBC News reports. She did not...
Feinstein Is Returning
May 9, 2023 7:53 PM CDT
Feinstein Is Returning to Washington
89-year-old's monthslong absence led to calls for resignation
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein is returning to Washington after a long absence that led to increasingly strong calls for her resignation in recent weeks. At 89, the California Democrat is the oldest senator. She was hospitalized with shingles in February and has been absent for more than two months. Her office...
Retirement Opens Up
Democratic Senate Seat
May 1, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Retirement Opens Up Democratic Senate Seat
- Maryland Sen. Ben Cardin announced Monday that he won't seek a fourth term in the Senate, opening up a Democratic seat for the 2024 election and removing a lawmaker who's regularly negotiated with Republicans to strike bipartisan deals. "I was taught that it's okay to compromise—...
Feinstein Asks to Be Replaced
on Senate Judiciary Committee
Apr 13, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
Feinstein Asks to Be Replaced on Senate Judiciary Committee
She says move would be temporary
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein has asked to be temporarily replaced on the Senate Judiciary Committee amid growing concern among Democrats that the 89-year-old will remain absent indefinitely without resigning. Feinstein, the oldest sitting US senator, was hospitalized with shingles in early March and her absence from the powerful committee has made...
Sen. Bob Casey Has
Good News for Democrats
Apr 10, 2023 3:23 PM CDT
Sen. Bob Casey Has Good News for Democrats
Pennsylvania senator will seek another term, likely avoiding drawn-out primary battle
- Senate Democrats might have a tough time retaining control of the chamber in next year's election, but Pennsylvania's Sen. Bob Casey has taken some of the pressure off. The 62-year-old announced Monday that he will seek a fourth term, the
reports. "Folks, I’m running...
Leg at NCAA
Apr 10, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Senator Breaks Leg at NCAA Championship Victory Parade
Fellow paradegoer fell on Richard Blumenthal
- Sen. Richard Blumenthal was at the victory parade celebrating the University of Connecticut men's basketball team winning the NCAA championship when a fellow parade attendee tripped and fell on the Connecticut Democrat. Blumenthal broke his leg in the Saturday incident, tweeting, "What can I say, I love a...
May Be Bad News
Jan 5, 2023 1:23 PM CST
Her Surprise Senate Decision May Be Bad News for Democrats
Michigan's Debbie Stabenow will not seek re-election in 2024
- Democrats already had a tough challenge ahead in trying to keep control of the Senate in the next election. That challenge just got a little tougher. Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow said Thursday that she will not run for re-election in 2024, reports the Hill . As the AP notes, the 72-year-old—...
May Be About 2024
Dec 9, 2022 3:38 PM CST
Sinema's Switch May Be About 2024
Some reasons for party change aren't clear, but she'd have little help from Democrats back home anyway
- The search for answers and future fallout from Sen. Kyrsten Sinema's decision to leave the Democratic Party has turned up plenty of possibilities. Democratic leaders in Washington refrained from bashing her decision, hoping to keep her voting with them. Democrats in Arizona, who invested in her 2018 campaign and...
GOP Votes Help Senate
Pass Marriage Protections
Nov 16, 2022 5:50 PM CST
GOP Votes Help Senate Pass Marriage Protections
Sponsor says some couples need protection from Supreme Court
- With support from a dozen Republicans, the Senate on Wednesday voted 62-37 to protect same-sex marriage, most particularly from the Supreme Court. The House would have to approve the bill for the second time, but the Senate vote puts the legislation on the path to President Biden's desk, Politico...
GOP Sees Harder
Fight in Taking
Back Senate, House
Sep 26, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
GOP Sees Harder Fight in Taking Back Senate, House
Republicans still projected to win House, but that number is falling, and Senate now looks precarious
- In just 43 days, Americans will decide the makeup of the Senate and House. And with President Biden's tepid poll numbers earlier this year, as well as historical precedence that often has the party in power ceding ground during the midterms, it seemed a given just a few months...
'With This Law, the
American People Won'
Aug 16, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
'With This Law, the American People Won'
Biden signs Inflation Reduction Act into law
- In a move that many would have considered highly unlikely less than a month ago, President Biden signed a sweeping bill to tackle climate change and other issues into law in a White House ceremony Tuesday. The Inflation Reduction Act made it through the House and Senate after Sen. Joe...
Sinema Put Manchin
in Role of Protecting Bill
Aug 8, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Sinema Put Manchin in Role of Protecting Bill
Differences on taxes were resolved, allowing passage, though it wasn't easy
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer negotiated for months on the climate change, health care, and tax legislation that passed the Senate on Sunday. When they finally reached an agreement, they still weren't finished. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema had been left out of the talks, and she...
Senate Tiebreaker Approves
Sweeping Economic Package
Aug 7, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Senate Tiebreaker Approves Sweeping Economic Package
Democrats' victory sends legislation to curb global warming, pharmaceutical costs to House
- Democrats pushed their election-year economic package to Senate passage Sunday, a hard-fought compromise less sweeping than President Biden’s original domestic vision but one that still meets deep-rooted party goals of slowing global warming, moderating pharmaceutical costs, and taxing immense corporations. The estimated $740 billion package heads next to the...
Democrats' Bill Clears Hurdle,
Faces Vote-a-Rama 'Hell'
Aug 7, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Democrats' Bill Clears Hurdle, Faces Vote-a-Rama 'Hell'
Kamala Harris breaks tie, advances Biden's signature legislation
- A divided Senate voted Saturday to start debating Democrats’ election-year economic bill, boosting the sprawling collection of President Biden’s priorities on climate, energy, health, and taxes past its initial test as it starts moving through Congress, per the AP . In a preview of votes expected on a mountain of...
Rules Boss Cuts
Aug 6, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Rules Boss Cuts Bill's Penalties for Drugmakers
Senate parliamentarian keeps much of Democrats' economic package intact
- The Senate parliamentarian on Saturday dealt a blow to Democrats' plan for curbing drug prices but left the rest of their sprawling economic bill largely intact. Party leaders prepared for first votes on a package containing many of President Biden's top domestic goals, the AP reports. Elizabeth MacDonough, the...
Jul 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Sinema Won't Block GOP Changes to Climate Bill
Democrats, including Manchin, worry about winning Arizona senator's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin isn't sure that his frequent fellow Democratic holdout, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, will support the legislative agreement he struck with their majority leader last week, either. Sinema has made no promises, Axios reports, which has her party worried. Democrats need all of their 50 Senate votes to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.