Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ever See 5 Planets
Lined Up Before?
Here's Your Chance
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 11, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Ever See 5 Planets Lined Up Before? Here's Your Chance
Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn will all be aligned in June
- Get ready for a planetary sky show not seen since "Hey Ya!" topped the charts and Mark Zuckerberg was launching Facebook out of his college dorm room. Throughout the month of June, those on the US mainland will be able to see, sans telescope, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter,...
Only a Whirlwind Can
Save Mars Lander
May 19, 2022 3:17 AM CDT
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
InSight is losing power due to dust buildup on solar panels
- A NASA spacecraft on Mars is headed for a dusty demise. The InSight lander is losing power because of all the dust on its solar panels. NASA says it will keep using the spacecraft’s seismometer to register marsquakes until the power peters out, likely in July, the AP reports....
Mar 17, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Musk Revises Prediction for Mars Landing
2029, SpaceX CEO estimates this time
- Elon Musk has been saying all along that he considers a trip to Mars possible relatively soon. In 2016, he told 100,000 people at the International Astronautical Congress in Guadalajara, Mexico, that he wanted to build a rocket that could take people there and help maintain a city on...
Stress of Mars Trip
Jan 31, 2022 7:00 PM CST
Crew Simulates Stress of Mars Trip
Four volunteers are sealed in a structure at Johnson Space Center
- A NASA crew has begun a 45-day trip to Mars, all in a habitat on the ground at the Johnson Space Center in Houston. A volunteer crew of four launched the simulated journey Friday, CNN reports, in an effort to learn about the effects of isolation and confinement during missions....
Toyota Shoots for the Moon
Jan 28, 2022 12:17 PM CST
Toyota Shoots for the Moon
Automaker working on vehicle for space missions
- Toyota is working with Japan's space agency on a vehicle to explore the lunar surface, with ambitions to help people live on the moon by 2040 and then go live on Mars, company officials told the AP on Friday. The vehicle being developed with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency...
Research Counters 1996 Report
on Evidence of Past Life on Mars
Jan 13, 2022 6:35 PM CST
Research Counters 1996 Report on Evidence of Past Life on Mars
Scientists had doubted first claims about meteorite after 1984 discovery
- A 4 billion-year-old meteorite from Mars that caused a splash on Earth decades ago contains no evidence of ancient, primitive Martian life after all, scientists reported Thursday. In 1996, a NASA-led team announced that organic compounds in the rock appeared to have been left by living creatures. Other scientists were...
Perseverance Pays Off: Rock
Sample Collected on Mars
Sep 2, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Perseverance Pays Off: Rock Sample Collected on Mars
Rover had to drive to a second location to get a good sample
- NASA’s newest Mars rover has successfully collected its first rock sample for return to Earth, after last month’s attempt came up empty. The Perseverance rover's chief engineer, Adam Steltzner, called it a perfect core sample, per the AP . "I’ve never been more happy to see...
NASA Says Soft Rock
Caused Mars Sample Fiasco
Aug 11, 2021 5:46 PM CDT
NASA Says Soft Rock Caused Mars Sample Fiasco
And it's not talking about Air Supply
- NASA is blaming unusually soft rock for last week’s sampling fiasco on Mars. The Perseverance rover came up empty after attempting to collect its first core sample on the red planet for eventual return to Earth. Data beamed back last Friday showed that the rover drilled to the proper...
NASA Puzzled by Rover's
Failure to Collect Martian Rock
Aug 9, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
NASA Puzzled by Rover's Failure to Collect Martian Rock
Perseverance's hardware was working, but sample tube was empty
- The Perseverance Mars rover's first effort to collect a rock sample was not a success—but NASA scientists plan to persevere. The rover, which landed in the Jezero crater in February, attempted to collect a core sample and seal it in a titanium tube but the mission team was...
NASA Needs Posers
for Mars Habitat in Texas
Aug 6, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
NASA Needs Posers for Mars Habitat in Texas
Those chosen will be isolated for a year and live on space food
- Want to find your inner Matt Damon and spend a year pretending you are isolated on Mars? NASA has a job for you. To prepare for eventually sending astronauts to Mars, NASA began taking applications Friday for four people to live for a year in Mars Dune Alpha. That's...
China's Mars Rover Sends
Back Proof of Landing
May 19, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
China's Mars Rover Sends Back Proof of Landing
First 2 pics show Zhurong is successfully communicating from Utopia Planitia
- China has become only the second nation after the United States to successfully put a craft on Mars and operate it for a significant amount of time, reports the BBC . Its Zhurong rover touched down on the red planet over the weekend, and now we have the first photos as...
China Just Joined
an Elite Mars Club
May 15, 2021 12:22 PM CDT
China Just Joined an Elite Mars Club
Nation landed a spacecraft on the red planet
- China landed a spacecraft on Mars for the first time on Saturday, a technically challenging feat more difficult than a moon landing, in the latest step forward for its ambitious goals in space. Plans call for a rover to stay in the lander for a few days of diagnostic tests...
NASA Just Flew
a Helicopter on Mars
Apr 19, 2021 6:21 AM CDT
NASA Just Flew a Helicopter on Mars
It's the first powered flight on another planet
- NASA just scored some serious bragging rights among Earthlings. The agency's Ingenuity helicopter completed a short flight on Mars—the first powered flight on another planet, reports the
. The 4-pound craft rose about 10 feet for 30 seconds or so before returning to the planet's surface....
Up 9 Feet,
for 30 Seconds.
Apr 10, 2021 11:21 PM CDT
Up 9 Feet, for 30 Seconds. NASA Aims for History
But Ingenuity helicopter's flight on Mars is pushed back at least a few days
- The flight won't last very long, maybe 30 seconds or so. And it won't go very high, say 9 or 10 feet. But assuming NASA can pull it off, an upcoming flight by the Ingenuity helicopter on Mars will be historic nonetheless—it will be the first time...
Part of the Wright Brothers'
1st Airplane Is on Mars
Mar 24, 2021 8:26 AM CDT
Part of the Wright Brothers' 1st Airplane Is on Mars
The helicopter Ingenuity features a postage-size piece of muslin
- A piece of the Wright brothers' first airplane is on Mars. NASA’s experimental Martian helicopter holds a small swatch of fabric from the 1903 Wright Flyer, the space agency revealed Tuesday. The helicopter, named Ingenuity, hitched a ride to the red planet with the Perseverance rover, arriving last month....
Takes First Spin
Mar 5, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Perseverance Takes First Spin on Mars
Rover travels 21 feet in a test drive
- There's no chance of rain, so it might be a good time to wash Perseverance. Mission controllers took the rover out for a 33-minute test drive Thursday, covering 21 feet of the dusty surface of Mars, NASA reports. They liked the way it handled. "The rover’s six-wheel...
Mars Isn't Going to Work
Mar 1, 2021 12:50 PM CST
Dear Earthlings, Mars Isn't Going to Work
It's a 'hellhole,' writes Shannon Stirone in the Atlantic
- The touchdown on Mars of another NASA rover has generated lots of excitement about the red planet. But scientific exploration is one thing. Believing that humans might be able to live on the planet someday is another, writes Shannon Stirone at the
. She calls out those pushing the idea...
In NASA's Mars Parachute,
a Coded Message
Feb 23, 2021 12:44 PM CST
In NASA's Mars Parachute, a Coded Message
Internet sleuths uncover 'dare mighty things'
- NASA slipped a hidden message into last week's Mars landing —the phrase "dare mighty things" encoded in a red-and-white parachute. The
reports that Internet sleuths deciphered the message, and NASA's chief engineer for the Perseverance project confirmed they got right. "It looks like the...
Feb 22, 2021 6:20 PM CST
NASA Releases First-Ever Martian Audio, Video
They're the 'closest you can get to landing on Mars without putting on a pressure suit'
- A big Red Planet first from NASA: The agency has released the first-ever video of a Mars landing and the first audio sent back from the planet. The high-definition video was recorded by videos on the entry capsule and the Perseverance rover itself during its successful landing Thursday. "The...
Stunning Mars Images
Rival Moon Landing's
Feb 19, 2021 5:30 PM CST
Stunning Mars Images Rival Moon Landing's
- Photos sent back from Mars by NASA's Perseverance rover already are joining the album of iconic pictures of space exploration, putting them alongside such indelible images as Buzz Aldrin standing on the moon in 1969. "We can only hope, in our efforts to engineer spacecraft and explore our...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
'Extreme Heat Belt' Emerging in US
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.