Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Women Decide to Tip Like
Crazy During Illinois Road Trip
in case you missed it
Jul 30, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Women Decide to Tip Like Crazy During Illinois Road Trip
Brandy Macumber, Tamara Bane of Iowa collected money via Venmo and gave it out
- Two Iowa women wrapped up their fourth "BFF Road Trip" on Monday, and this year's vacation involved something unusual: media attention. That's because Brandy Macumber and Tamara Bane of Winterset decided to pump up their travels to Illinois by adding a "Tip Our Next Server Mission,...
Bartender Cracks Case
of Burned Key West Buoy
Jan 12, 2022 4:49 PM CST
Bartender Cracks Case of Burned Key West Buoy
He remembered suspect who ordered 3 rounds and never left a tip
- Police in Key West trying to find the suspects who vandalized an iconic local landmark in the early hours of New Year's Day got some help from a bartender with a good memory for bad tippers. After authorities shared video of the two suspects setting a Christmas tree on...
Restaurant Server's Massive
Tip Turns Out to Be Trouble
Dec 12, 2021 3:10 PM CST
Restaurant Server's Massive Tip Turns Out to Be Trouble
Arkansas woman was let go after telling customer she couldn't keep her $2,200
- Surprising a server with an unexpectedly large tip is a heartwarming trend . But a waitress in Arkansas recently got an unpleasant surprise after her pleasant surprise, getting fired from a restaurant where she and another server had just been given a $4,400 tip. Ryan Brandt and a coworker waited...
NH Restaurant Patron
Leaves One Heck of a Tip
Jun 23, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
NH Restaurant Patron Leaves One Heck of a Tip
The $16K on a $37 tab was split among the whole staff
- For a couple of chili cheese dogs, some pickle chips, and a few drinks, $37 is a pretty reasonable tab. Now add $16,000. The bartenders at Stumble Inn Bar & Grill in Londonderry, New Hampshire, were pretty excited about that. Until they spotted the five-figure tip, the most noteworthy...
In $34K for
Feb 17, 2021 8:45 AM CST
City's 'Tip War' Brings In $34K for Restaurant Workers
Fans of 2 hometown colleges are trying to one-up each other in Cincinnati
- It started on Jan. 9 with a message from a Cincinnati burger joint. "To the gentleman and his daughters who left this incredibly generous tip this afternoon, with big smiles on our faces, we want to say, thank you!" Zip's Cafe posted on Facebook , thanking the patrons...
He Came In, Ate,
and Left. His Tip Sent
Workers Into Shock
in case you missed it
Dec 26, 2020 11:30 AM CST
He Came In, Ate, and Left. His Tip Sent Workers Into Shock
Thanks to generous $5.6K gift to Toledo eatery, 28 employees each have an extra $200 in hand
- As it's been for many business owners during the pandemic, 2020 has been a tough year for Moussa Salloukh, the chef and owner of Souk Mediterranean Kitchen in Toledo, Ohio. He tells CNN that the restaurant, which he opened in October 2019, "was a tribute to my mother,...
Dec 24, 2020 11:44 AM CST
Another Big Name Accepts 2020 Tip Challenge
Tom Selleck leaves $2,020 tip at NYC restaurant
- Tom Selleck left a hefty and symbolic tip at a New York City restaurant. The actor left an extra $2,020 along with a note paying homage to his fellow
actor Donnie Wahlberg, reports
. Wahlberg left the same-sized tip at a Massachusetts restaurant in November. "For...
for Restaurants May
Not Please Servers
Dec 24, 2020 8:02 AM CST
'Year-End Victory' for Restaurants May Not Please Servers
Labor Dept. says employers can mandate tipped workers share their tips
- New changes to Labor Department rules are being called a "year-end victory" for the restaurant industry, per the National Restaurant Association—though servers who rely on tips to boost their sub-minimum-wage pay may not be giving it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. Fox Business reports on a revision made final Tuesday...
Donnie Wahlberg Makes
2020 a Good Number Again
Nov 16, 2020 1:41 PM CST
Donnie Wahlberg Makes 2020 a Good Number Again
That was the size of the tip he left in a Massachusetts restaurant
- Actor Donnie Wahlberg recently left a $2,020 tip at a Massachusetts restaurant, continuing his habit of leaving generous gratuities to brighten the days of wait staff. The Band of Brothers and Blue Bloods actor and former member of boy band New Kids on the Block left the tip on...
A Bartender Got a Tip Worth $2.
It Turned Into $50K
Oct 31, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
A Bartender Got a Tip Worth $2. It Turned Into $50K
Missouri's Taylor Russey says customer's gratuity was a Powerball ticket
- Most watering hole patrons don't offer lottery tickets as gratuities, but one regular at Missouri's Bleachers Bar does it quite often—and a bartender at the O'Fallon establishment is now a $50,000 winner because of it. CNN reports on Taylor Russey's windfall, which came about...
How a $3 Tip Launched
a Delivery-App Uproar
Jul 25, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
How a $3 Tip Launched a Delivery-App Uproar
DoorDash just changed its policy after a reporter's first-person story
- A journalist's first-person story about working as food-app delivery person seems to have stirred up a hornet's nest over the subject of tipping—and prompted one big company, DoorDash, to change its policy. The issue revolves not just around how much to tip but how much of that...
Man Tips Servers $22K
in Hotel Bar, Gets Arrested
Feb 20, 2019 4:54 AM CST
Man Tips Servers $22K in Hotel Bar, Gets Arrested
'He'll probably need that for legal fees'
- Joel Boyers was removed from the JW Marriot bar in Nashville on Monday and charged with public intoxication and possessing a firearm while intoxicated, but some people there will still remember him fondly: Before he was arrested, he tipped his servers $22,000. Police say they were contacted by the...
Waitress's $400 Tip Was
Just the First Surprise
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 16, 2017 1:30 PM CDT
Waitress's $400 Tip Was Just the First Surprise
Couple will pay off student loans of Cayla Chandara
- It's not every day you get a 200% tip. For Hawaiian waitress Cayla Chandara, that was only the beginning. Chandara, 22, struck up a conversation with a friendly Australian couple last week at the Thai restaurant where she works in Waikiki. They got to talking and she mentioned her...
Couple Leaves Waitress 'Tip'—
That Her Place Is in the Home
Oct 19, 2016 7:04 AM CDT
Couple Leaves Waitress 'Tip'— That Her Place Is in the Home
Woman in SC is single and 'humiliated'
- A waitress in Greenville, SC, says she is "humiliated" and "heartbroken" by a handwritten "tip" she received, in lieu of a monetary tip, from a couple last week who scolded her for working outside the home, WIS-TV reports. After noting that she is a "good waitress"...
Jun 15, 2016 10:19 AM CDT
Drunk Diner Accidentally Tips 1,800%
He asked for it back once he'd sobered up
- A waiter at a Thai restaurant in Edgewater, Colo., was feeling pretty good about himself after receiving a $1,088 tip over the weekend—until the drunk customer who left it returned to get it back. Owner Bee Anantatho of Thailicious says a server was clearing a table when he...
Joe's Crab Shack No-Tipping Policy Was No Success
May 13, 2016 7:13 AM CDT
Joe's Crab Shack No-Tipping Policy Was No Success
Lost up to 10% of its customers at test sites that dumped gratuities
- The first full-service national chain to get rid of tipping is, for the most part, reinstating the practice that its former CEO once called "antiquated." Joe's Crab Shack, which had tried out the gratuity-included model in 18 of its 130 or so restaurants across the country, is...
Big Tip Brings
Grandma to Tears
May 3, 2016 5:19 PM CDT
Big Tip Brings Triplet-Raising Grandma to Tears
'Words can't describe how grateful I am'
- A bartending grandmother in North Dakota was floored by a tip left by two strangers last Saturday night, ABC News . According to the
Grand Forks Herald
, 48-year-old Shiela Weisgerber was talking about her 4-year-old triplet grandsons—who she's raised on her own practically since they were born—with customers...
'Angel' Is Revealed
Apr 14, 2016 2:40 PM CDT
Anonymous Denny's 'Angel' Is Revealed
He left a $1.5K tip for his single-mom waitress
- A anonymous big tipper with a kind heart is anonymous no more. As Fox 5 DC explains, a man walked into a Denny's in Utah and specifically asked for a waitress who was a single mother. After watching other diners for about two hours, the man paid for the...
Mar 21, 2016 9:58 AM CDT
Amy Schumer Left Big-Time Tip for
That'd be a $1K tip on a $77 tab
- Amy Schumer took in a Broadway play and bought a few drinks Saturday night—and she left an ample tip to thank the bartenders for a fun night out. The comedian placed a $1,000 gratuity on top of her $77 bar bill at a showing of
, leaving the...
Waitress Stiffed for
'Not Looking Normal'
Mar 18, 2016 5:03 AM CDT
Waitress Stiffed for 'Not Looking Normal'
'Zombie Burger' customer not a fan of pink hair
- Customers failing to leave tips is a daily fact of life in the restaurant business, though a diner's excuse in Iowa was outstandingly bad: "Tips are only for normal looking people," the customer wrote on the bill after stiffing pink-haired waitress Taelor May Beeck in Des Moines...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.