Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'They're Trying to
George Floyd Me!'
Jan 13, 2023 8:23 AM CST
'They're Trying to George Floyd Me!'
Keenan Anderson, cousin of BLM co-founder, dead after police tasing incident in Los Angeles
- The cousin of a Black Lives Matter co-founder is dead in Los Angeles after police tased him several times following a car crash. The
IDs the man as 31-year-old Keenan Anderson, a father and high school English teacher visiting from DC. The incident in LA's Venice neighborhood...
Man Bursts Into Flames
After Cop Tases Him
Oct 27, 2022 11:51 AM CDT
Man Bursts Into Flames After Cop Tases Him
Christopher Gaylor, who Arkansas cops say was carrying gasoline in backpack, will be OK
- An Arkansas biker is expected to survive after he was tased earlier this month by police and burst into flames. Citing a release from Arkansas State Police, CNN reports that the incident took place in the early morning hours of Oct. 13 in Little Rock, when a cop tried to...
For a Minute-Plus,
He Was Tased
by Cop. 4 Days
Later, He Died
Sep 28, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
For a Minute-Plus, He Was Tased by Cop. 4 Days Later, He Died
Conn. police conducting internal probe after Ryan Marzi's death following trooper encounter
- An obituary for Ryan Marzi notes that he "passed away unexpectedly in his sleep" in August, but an encounter he had with Connecticut state troopers just four days before his death is now under investigation. Per the
, two troopers, Desmond Stimson and Jessie Rainville, had responded to...
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police
Tased Him at a Gas Pump
May 20, 2022 12:30 AM CDT
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
Deputy involved has now been charged
The Florida deputy accused of accidentally setting a motorcycle rider on fire when he tased him at a Florida gas station in February has been charged with culpable negligence, a misdemeanor, the
reports. The biker, too, is being charged with reckless driving, fleeing law enforcement and resisting...
He Poured Hand
Sanitizer on Himself.
Then a Cop Tased Him
Jan 8, 2022 9:00 AM CST
He Poured Hand Sanitizer on Himself. Then a Cop Tased Him
NY AG investigating incident in Catskill, NY, after Jason Jones burst into flames; he died last month
- Graphic video made public Friday shows a man who doused himself in hand sanitizer bursting into flames when a police officer used a stun gun on him at a New York police station in October. Security footage released by the state attorney general's office shows Jason Jones, 29, rolling...
Cops Who Tased Man More
Than 50 Times Guilty of Murder
Nov 9, 2021 1:21 AM CST
Cops Who Tased Man More Than 50 Times Guilty of Murder
Former Oklahoma officers convicted of second-degree murder
Two former Oklahoma police officers were convicted of second-degree murder Friday for excessive use of a Taser on an unarmed man who died two days later in 2019. The crime is punishable by 10 years to life behind bars. They were also convicted of assault and battery with a...
Video Shows Cop Tasering
75-Year-Old Without Warning
Jul 23, 2021 12:56 PM CDT
Video Shows Cop Tasering 75-Year-Old Without Warning
Cop later fired, charged with assault in Colorado
- A grandfather is in the hospital and a former police officer is facing charges. Nicholas Hanning, until recently part of the Idaho Springs, Colorado, police department, said he jolted Michael Clark, 75, with a Taser when Clark refused to put down a weapon, the
reports. But newly released...
Boardwalk Clashes Revive
Calls for Police Legislation
Jun 15, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Boardwalk Clashes Revive Calls for Police Legislation
Maryland officers used Taser on teen stopped for vaping
- Multiple new instances in one city on the same night of police using force against young Black men have renewed pressure on Maryland's legislature to act. Lawmakers already approved police legislation in April, but it will be more than a year before parts of it take effect,
'Slip and Capture' Theory
May Explain Gun-Taser Mix-Up
Apr 13, 2021 1:05 PM CDT
'Slip and Capture' Theory May Explain Gun-Taser Mix-Up
Nation has seen at least 11 cases in which the explanation has been used since 1999
- Police in Minnesota say the shooting of Daunte Wright happened because Officer Kim Potter mistakenly fired her gun instead of her Taser . Various outlets are digging into the subject, with the same general conclusion: The phenomenon is real, though it's rare. Coverage:
Minneapolis Star Tribune
Bodycam Footage Out in Police
Shooting of Philly Black Man
Nov 5, 2020 9:29 AM CST
Bodycam Footage Out in Police Shooting of Philly Black Man
Cops who shot Walter Wallace Jr. weren't equipped with Tasers
- Police officers fired 14 shots, killing Walter Wallace Jr. , just 41 seconds after arriving at his family's West Philadelphia home last week. Wallace's pregnant wife repeatedly shouted that Wallace—who was walking toward the officers with a knife—was "mental," according to bodycam footage released Wednesday,...
Woman Who Won't Wear
Mask Gets Tased, Arrested
Sep 27, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
Woman Who Won't Wear Mask Gets Tased, Arrested
Alecia Kitts sparks local furor over mask incident
- A woman was tased and arrested at her son's middle-school football game Wednesday after refusing to wear a face mask, CNN reports. Police say Alecia Kitts—who was sitting in the stands at Logan High School Stadium in Logan, Ohio—refused a school resource officer's request that she...
Cop Who Tased Woman
Is Fired Over 'Core Values'
Aug 23, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Cop Who Tased Woman Is Fired Over 'Core Values'
Michael Oxford was let go from the Gwinnett County Police Department
- A Georgia police officer has been fired after Tasing a Black woman during an arrest—but it wasn't the Tasing or the arrest that got him fired, NBC News reports. Gwinnett County Police said the officer, Michael Oxford, "violated our policy and did not meet our core values"...
Police Chief Decries
'Horrible' Use of
Force on Black Man
Jun 8, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Police Chief Decries 'Horrible' Use of Force on Black Man
Police officer Tyler Timberlake charged with assault after using stun gun on 'man in crisis'
- A Virginia police officer was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery Saturday after being accused of using excessive force on a black man. The
Fort Hunt Herald
reports the incident took place Friday around 1:30pm in Mount Vernon, where an apparently disoriented victim—described by the Fairfax County Police...
Grandma's 70th Birthday
Surprise: Cops Tase Her
Dec 30, 2019 9:08 AM CST
Grandma's 70th Birthday Surprise: Cops Tase Her
Barbara Pinkney gets tased in Florida after cops came looking for her grandson
- A Florida woman got an unpleasant surprise on her 70th birthday after cops came calling in search of her grandson. Per a probable cause affidavit cited by NBC News , Manatee County deputies showed up Thursday morning at the home of Barbara Pinkney in Bradenton looking for Tevin Turner, who was...
2 Kids Dead in
Stolen Police SUV
Aug 27, 2019 9:37 AM CDT
2 Kids Dead in Crash Involving Stolen Police SUV
Driver, accused in earlier stabbing, is hospitalized
- "I've never seen anybody get Tased and not fall down immediately, let alone fight back with a police officer and take his vehicle." That's exactly what a witness described seeing Monday in Dayton, Ohio, before a crash that killed two children and left 10 others injured,...
'The Taser Failed': Report
Digs Into a Troubling Phrase
May 14, 2019 6:35 PM CDT
'The Taser Failed': Report Digs Into a Troubling Phrase
Investigative piece finds police Tasers don't work nearly half the time
- Look closely at reports on fatal police shootings, and you may see a phrase more often than you think: "The Taser failed." That's one of the observations from an investigative piece by American Public Media on police Tasers. Manufacturer Axon Enterprise, which has a monopoly on the...
She Left the US to Raise a
Black Son. Then, the 'Inevitable'
Oct 17, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
She Left the US to Raise a Black Son. Then, the 'Inevitable'
Family demands answers in tasing death of Chinedu Okobi
- When 72-year-old Amaka Okobi heard a black man had had a deadly encounter with police in Millbrae, Calif., she thought, "Oh God, I feel so bad for his mother." Only later did she learn the man was her own 36-year-old son, said to have been tased by at...
School Resource Officer
Used Taser to Wake Student
Sep 7, 2018 3:18 AM CDT
School Resource Officer Used Taser to Wake Student
Officer Maryssa Boskoski has been suspended without pay
- A school resource officer in northeast Ohio who decided using her Taser was the best way to wake up a sleeping student has been suspended and could face criminal charges. Officer Maryssa Boskoski didn't actually jolt the student with thousands of volts of electricity, News5 reports, but she activated...
Cop to 11-Year-Old Girl:
It 'Hurt My Heart' to Tase You
Sep 6, 2018 11:42 AM CDT
Cop to 11-Year-Old Girl: It 'Hurt My Heart' to Tase You
Internal review shows Kevin Brown violated department policy
- "You know, sweetheart, this is why there aren't any grocery stores in the black community." That's what Cincinnati police officer Kevin Brown told an 11-year-old African-American girl moments after tasing her for allegedly shoplifting $53 worth of food and clothing from a Kroger on Aug. 6....
Cops Tase 87-Year-Old Who
Was Looking for Dandelions
Aug 17, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Cops Tase 87-Year-Old Who Was Looking for Dandelions
Martha Al-Bishara is 87, doesn't speak English
- After an elderly woman wouldn't leave the grounds of a Boys and Girls Club in rural Georgia last Friday, police were called—and the situation culminated with Martha Al-Bishara, 87, being tased. CNN reports the 911 caller described Al-Bishara as walking on the bike trails while holding a knife,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Biden Has 'Impossible Speech' to Give
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.