Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Yale Settles Lawsuit Alleging
Mental Health Discrimination
Aug 26, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Yale Settles Lawsuit Alleging Mental Health Discrimination
Leave policies will be changed under agreement with student group
- Yale University and a student group have announced that they've reached a settlement in a federal lawsuit that accused the Ivy League school of discriminating against students with mental health disabilities, including pressuring them to withdraw. Under the agreement, the AP reports, Yale will modify its policies regarding medical...
New Zealand Mom Guilty of
Murdering 3 Young Daughters
Aug 16, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
New Zealand Mom Guilty of Murdering 3 Young Daughters
Lauren Dickason said her postpartum-induced mental illness led her to kill her kids
- A New Zealand jury on Wednesday found a mother guilty of murdering her three young daughters after rejecting her defense that she was so mentally ill at the time she couldn't be held responsible. Lauren Dickason, 42, had earlier admitted killing her 2-year-old twin daughters, Maya and Karla, and...
Prominent Texas Judge Takes
a Break for Mental Health
Aug 8, 2023 10:49 AM CDT
Prominent Texas Judge Takes a Break for Mental Health
Harris County's Lina Hidalgo says she checked in for inpatient treatment for clinical depression
- A Texas judge put out a surprise announcement this week, announcing she'll be taking a work hiatus to deal with a newly diagnosed condition. In a Monday statement released by her office, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo informed constituents that she had checked herself into an inpatient facility late...
A Week After
Burying His Dad,
Angus Cloud of
Dead at 25
Aug 1, 2023 12:43 AM CDT
A Week After Burying His Dad, Angus Cloud of
Dead at 25
Family says he had been struggling with immense grief
- Soon after returning to the US after laying his beloved father to rest in Ireland, Angus Cloud, who played the drug dealer Fezco on HBO's
, died at his family's northern California home. No cause of death has been released for Cloud, whom CBS News refers to as...
Brittney Griner Backs Out
of 2 Games on the Road
Jul 31, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Brittney Griner Backs Out of 2 Games on the Road
Mercury Phoenix says WNBA star is taking a bit of a break 'to focus on her mental health'
- Since May, Brittney Griner has been back in game mode on the basketball court with her team, the Phoenix Mercury. Now, the WNBA star is taking a bit of a break, to take a little more care of herself in the aftermath of her detention in Russia, reports CBS News...
Depressed Adults See Higher
Risk of Dementia as Seniors
Jul 30, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Depressed Adults See Higher Risk of Dementia as Seniors
Large study sees a link, though not an explanation as to why
- Young adults and those in middle age who are dealing with depression appear to have a higher risk of another serious issue later in life: dementia. A new study in JAMA Neurology found that those diagnosed with depression between the ages of 18 and 59 were 2.4 times more...
Man Who Hosed Homeless
Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Jul 20, 2023 2:15 AM CDT
Man Who Hosed Homeless Woman: San Francisco Is Broken
Collier Gwin says what he did was wrong, but officials need to do something about the city
- The San Francisco gallery owner who was recorded hosing down a homeless woman camped out on the sidewalk and later charged with battery over the incident is speaking out. In a piece at the
Wall Street Journal
, Collier Gwin admits he lost his temper and shouldn't have sprayed the...
Jul 4, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Cast Member Struggling With 'Depersonalization'
Bowen Yang is taking a hiatus from his podcast, which he co-hosts with a fellow comic
Saturday Night Live
cast member Bowen Yang is opening up about his mental health. Yang, the first openly gay Asian-American member of
's cast, also co-hosts a podcast called
, but he announced on his Instagram stories over the weekend that he's taking some time off...
Task Force Issues
'Call to Action' on
Jun 20, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
Task Force Issues 'Call to Action' on Anxiety Screening
Panel says all adults under 65 should be screened
- The influential US Preventive Services Task Force has issued a final recommendation for all American adults under 65 to be screened for anxiety, even if they are not showing symptoms. Dr. Wanda Nicholson, vice chair of the panel of public health experts, tells NBC that the move is a "...
Tom Holland Taking
Time Off From Acting
Jun 8, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Tom Holland Taking Time Off From Acting
Actor says his latest project, 'The Crowded Room,' did 'break me'
- Tom Holland won't be rushing into any new acting roles. The 27-year-old star of
Spider-Man: No Way Home
tells Extra that he's in the midst of a year off after wrapping up a psychological thriller called
The Crowded Room
about to start streaming on AppleTV+. "The show...
Issue of Our
Time,' a Warning
May 23, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
On 'Defining Public Health Issue of Our Time,' a Warning
Surgeon General Vivek Murthy says social media is driving depression, anxiety in teens, kids
- Few parents love seeing their kids hunched over their phones, scrolling like zombies through TikTok videos or Instagram posts, and a new warning from the nation's top doctor isn't about to alleviate those feelings. Per NBC News , Surgeon General Vivek Murthy has issued a new report on youth...
US' Top Doc:
We Need to 'Pull
Back the Curtain'
on This Risk
May 2, 2023 8:39 AM CDT
US' Top Doc: We Need to 'Pull Back the Curtain' on This Risk
Surgeon General Vivek Murthy says widespread loneliness can be as risky to health as smoking
- Widespread loneliness in the US poses health risks as deadly as smoking a dozen cigarettes daily, costing the health industry billions of dollars annually, the US surgeon general said Tuesday in declaring the latest public health epidemic. About half of US adults say they've experienced loneliness, Dr. Vivek Murthy...
Hospital: 'I Am So
Happy to Be Home'
Apr 1, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Fetterman Leaves Hospital: 'I Am So Happy to Be Home'
Pennsylvania senator had been in treatment for clinical depression, will be back to work in mid-April
- A month and a half after checking himself into a DC hospital to be treated for clinical depression, John Fetterman has been discharged, his office says in a statement, per Reuters . "I am so happy to be home," the Pennsylvania senator tweeted late Friday afternoon after leaving Walter...
Cast Joins WH
Presser, Faces a Heckler
Mar 21, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Cast Joins WH Presser, Faces a Heckler
Simon Ateba of Today News Africa goes after press secretary Jean-Pierre in testy exchange
- On Sunday evening, President Biden tweeted a photo taped over the entrance to the Oval Office, reading simply: "Believe." It was a cute signal of what was to come Monday: the cast of the Apple TV+ show
converging upon the White House to help the Biden...
Fetterman May Have Already
Made His Greatest Impact
Feb 17, 2023 9:47 AM CST
Fetterman May Have Already Made His Greatest Impact
Discussing depression treatment helps destigmatize mental health issues, writes Li Zhou
- In announcing he's checked himself into Walter Reed National Medical Center for treatment of clinical depression , Sen. John Fetterman is doing something few politicians do—"normalizing a conversation around mental health," writes Li Zhou at Vox . "While the discourse about mental health has become more transparent...
'While You Pray for Damar
Say One for Tee Higgins, Too'
Jan 3, 2023 9:20 AM CST
'While You Pray for Damar Say One for Tee Higgins, Too'
Messages of support come pouring in for Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver who hit Bills' safety Hamlin
- Prayers are pouring in from across the country for the Buffalo Bills' Damar Hamlin, but also for the man who tackled him immediately before his heart stopped. The Cincinnati Bengals' Tee Higgins was seen leaving Paycor Stadium with his arm wrapped around his mother after Hamlin was taken to...
Draft Pick Retires:
of My Life'
Dec 16, 2022 1:02 PM CST
Young NBA Draft Pick Retires: 'Darkest Times of My Life'
Tyrell Terry, 22, 2020 draft pick for Mavericks, says severe anxiety made him lose his love of the game
- In 2020, Tyrell Terry was drafted by the NBA's Dallas Mavericks with the 31st overall pick, after playing one year for the Stanford Cardinal team as a guard. Now, following just two years in the pros, the young basketball player is retiring, saying he's lost his love of...
Mocks Him, NHL
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2022 11:55 AM CST
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
Pat Maroon donates to a mental health charity, encourages others to do the same
- When a TV broadcaster mocked an NHL's player's weight, the player fired back on Twitter—but maybe not in the way you'd expect. Pat Maroon of the Tampa Bay Lightning donated to a mental health charity in the broadcaster's name and encouraged others to do the...
Scans Show How Pandemic
Changed Teenage Brains
Dec 3, 2022 5:45 PM CST
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Researchers find young brains aged more than they would have during shutdown
- The toll the pandemic shutdown took on teenagers has been documented before, but now a study has reported the changes it's made to young brains. The researchers had taken MRI scans of 220 children ages 9 to 13 eight years ago, intending to take new scans every two years...
for Mental Illness
Nov 29, 2022 5:22 PM CST
NYC's Plan: Up Involuntary Hospitalizations for Mental Illness
New directive relies on expanded enforcement of existing law
- Citing a "moral obligation" to address a mental health crisis that is visible on his city's streets, NYC Mayor Eric Adams announced Tuesday that first responders have been directed to hospitalize more people who are mentally ill involuntarily. The
New York Times reports
the announcement represents a change...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.