Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Collins Won't Back Nominee
With 'Hostility' to Roe v. Wade
Jul 1, 2018 2:15 PM CDT
Collins Won't Back Nominee With 'Hostility' to Roe v. Wade
Republican is likely a must-win vote for President Trump's Supreme Court nominee
- GOP Sen. Susan Collins used this week's Sunday morning circuit to make clear that she is not going to vote for any Supreme Court nominee who appears to be against a woman's right to choose to have an abortion. "I would not support a nominee who demonstrated...
Trump Says He’ll Announce
Supreme Court Pick on July 9
Jun 29, 2018 5:37 PM CDT
Trump Says He’ll Announce Supreme Court Pick on July 9
The president has reportedly narrowed the list of candidates to five
- President Donald Trump has narrowed his list of prospective Supreme Court nominees to five finalists (although the list could change), and plans to announce his pick on July 9, reports Bloomberg . White House officials appear to be focusing on the following federal appeals court judges, all of whom are Republican...
Cruz: Scalia's Death May Have
Cost Clinton the Presidency
Jun 28, 2018 1:58 PM CDT
Cruz: Scalia's Death May Have Cost Clinton the Presidency
The Texas senator believes the 2016 election was a referendum on the Supreme Court
- Justice Anthony Kennedy’s announcement that he will retire, giving President Trump a second Supreme Court pick , has set off a flurry of debate about the direction of the court. If Kennedy, a swing voter, is replaced by a strongly conservative justice, that justice could shape the court’s decisions...
See a Lesson
for the Left
Jun 28, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
Conservatives See a Lesson for the Left in Kennedy
'Those who live by the courts die by the courts,' writes the Weekly Standard
- The fallout from Anthony Kennedy's bombshell decision to retire from the Supreme Court continues to resonate, with President Trump saying he's "honored" that Kennedy has given him an opportunity to pick a successor. Of course, getting him confirmed is another issue, and the
digs into the...
Trump: I'm 'Honored'
Justice Kennedy Is
Jun 28, 2018 6:56 AM CDT
Trump: I'm 'Honored' Justice Kennedy Is Stepping Down
President says decision deliberately made in his term so he can pick successor
- President Trump praised Anthony Kennedy during a rally in North Dakota Wednesday evening and said he is "honored" the Supreme Court justice made his bombshell retirement decision when he did. "I'm very honored that he chose to do it during my term in office, because he felt...
Roe v. Wade
Jun 27, 2018 3:53 PM CDT
With Kennedy Gone, Many Predict
Roe v. Wade
President Trump says the process of replacing Supreme Court justice 'will begin immediately'
- Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy announced his retirement Wednesday, and President Trump wasted no time: The process to replace Kennedy on the high court will "begin immediately," the POTUS told reporters, according to
. Trump said he will review an existing list of candidates that was developed...
Retiring From Supreme Court
Jun 27, 2018 1:24 PM CDT
Anthony Kennedy Retiring From Supreme Court
President Trump will get a second SCOTUS pick
- As has long been rumored, Justice Anthony Kennedy is retiring from the Supreme Court on July 31. The 81-year-old holds what
calls the most important seat on the high court, having been its swing vote on many issues for more than a decade. A Reagan-appointed conservative-leaning or moderate...
Vulnerable GOP Senator
Predicts SCOTUS Retirement
Mar 9, 2018 11:59 AM CST
Vulnerable GOP Senator Predicts SCOTUS Retirement
Dean Heller says Justice Anthony Kennedy will retire 'sometime early summer'
- Dean Heller doesn't exactly have the safest seat in the US Senate, and he might not even make it to the midterms if he doesn't beat GOPer Danny Tarkanian in the Nevada primaries in June, per the
. But in audio obtained by Politico from a Las Vegas...
Analysts Parse Kennedy's
Words in Gay Cake Case
Dec 5, 2017 5:45 PM CST
Analysts Parse Kennedy's Words in Gay Cake Case
He is expected to be the deciding vote, and he might be leaning toward the baker
- So must a baker make a cake for a gay couple even if he opposes same-sex marriage? The answer, it seems, lies solely with Anthony Kennedy. That's the gist of coverage from Tuesday's closely watched arguments in the Supreme Court. The
reports that the four more...
Kennedy May Be
Leaning Left on
Huge Political Case
Oct 4, 2017 9:32 AM CDT
Kennedy May Be Leaning Left on Huge Political Case
In questioning on gerrymandering, he seems to side with Democratic challengers
- Justice Anthony Kennedy may end up casting the deciding vote in one of the Supreme Court's biggest cases this term—and he appears to be leaning toward joining the court's more liberal justices when it comes to reining in gerrymandering. The court heard arguments Tuesday in a redistricting...
Carl Reiner to
It's Not Time
Jul 8, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
Carl Reiner to Justice Kennedy: It's Not Time to Retire
Entertainer explains why in public letter
- Rumor has it Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy may be considering retirement , and in a piece in the
New York Times
, director/writer/producer/actor Carl Reiner asks him not to. Yes, Kennedy is almost 81, and Reiner—who is 95—says he understands "the problems that come" at a certain age....
Story May Provide Clue
About Kennedy's Plans
Jul 3, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Story May Provide Clue About Kennedy's Plans
Supreme Court justice warns clerk applicants he's considering retirement
- When the Supreme Court wrapped up its current term, all eyes were on Anthony Kennedy amid rumors that he'd announce his retirement. He did not do so , but the rumors are gaining steam once again thanks to an NPR story. The focus of the piece was on new Justice...
No Retirement Bombshell
as SCOTUS Term Ends
Jun 26, 2017 10:46 AM CDT
No Retirement Bombshell as SCOTUS Term Ends
Anthony Kennedy made no announcement following a weekend of speculation
- The last day of the Supreme Court's term was notable not only for what was announced but also for what wasn't. There had been wild speculation that Justice Anthony Kennedy could reveal his retirement from the court Monday, but the court recessed with no such announcement. Kennedy could...
All Eyes on SCOTUS Over
Retirement Rumor, Travel Ban
Jun 26, 2017 6:44 AM CDT
All Eyes on SCOTUS Over Retirement Rumor, Travel Ban
Plus, 6 outstanding decisions could be out on court's final day of term
- The Supreme Court gathers Monday for the last scheduled day of the current term, with decisions on six cases—including one on the separation of church and state—still to come. Overshadowing all that, however, is speculation about whether Justice Anthony Kennedy will announce his retirement after 30 years on...
Why Speculation Is Running
Wild Over a SCOTUS Opening
Jun 25, 2017 6:31 AM CDT
Why Speculation Is Running Wild Over a SCOTUS Opening
If Anthony Kennedy plans to step down now, we'll likely learn of it tomorrow
- CNN uses the term "fever pitch." At this point it's only speculation, but the big question swirling around the Supreme Court has nothing to do with one of its cases. It's whether Justice Anthony Kennedy plans to step down—and whether he may do so...
SCOTUS Rules for
UT in Affirmative
Jun 23, 2016 10:24 AM CDT
SCOTUS Rules for UT in Affirmative Action Case
University can consider race in limited manner in admissions process
- In a move that surprised even affirmative action advocates, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the University of Texas may indeed take into consideration a student's race during the admissions process, albeit in a limited manner, the
reports. The vote was 4-3, per the
New York Times
Case Arrives at Supreme Court
Mar 2, 2016 8:13 AM CST
'Blockbuster' Abortion Case Arrives at Supreme Court
All eyes on Anthony Kennedy
- The abortion case being argued in front of the Supreme Court Wednesday isn't only the "biggest case on the topic in nearly a quarter century," the AP notes—it's also the first major case taking place since Justice Antonin Scalia died , and it's happening during...
Supreme Court Justice
Hawaiian Vote Count
Nov 27, 2015 1:36 PM CST
Supreme Court Justice Blocks Controversial Hawaiian Vote Count
Temporary stay stops the certification of any winners
- A US Supreme Court justice on Friday issued a temporary stay blocking the counting of votes in an election that would be a significant step toward Native Hawaiian self-governance. Justice Anthony Kennedy's order also stops the certification of any winners pending further direction from him or the entire court....
Essence of Gay Marriage Ruling Is in One Paragraph
Jun 26, 2015 11:03 AM CDT
Essence of Gay Marriage Ruling Is in One Paragraph
Anthony Kennedy's prose moves court watchers
calls it "the most powerful paragraph" in today's Supreme Court decision in support of gay marriage , Sarah Kliff at Vox says it stands out as a "moving piece of writing," especially for a judicial decision, and Josh Greenman of the
What to Know
as Gay Marriage
Apr 28, 2015 6:40 AM CDT
What to Know as Gay Marriage Goes Before Supreme Court
Arguments begin today on whether states can ban same-sex marriage
- Arguments are set to begin this morning in
Obergefell v. Hodges
, a group of appeals from couples in four states
that will force the Supreme Court to confront whether gay marriage is a constitutional right in all states, the
reports. Some things to know:
Per the AP , the court
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Police: Fentanyl Killing Teens May Have Come From One Home
Biden Has 'Impossible Speech' to Give
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.