Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
ISIS Says Another
Leader Has Been Killed
Nov 30, 2022 1:35 PM CST
ISIS Says Another Leader Has Been Killed
Terror group is now on its third leader this year
- ISIS is now on its third leader of the year, according to a statement from the terror group's media affiliate. The group, also known as the Islamic State, said Abu al-Hassan al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi was "killed while struggling against the enemies of God," CNN reports. The group said...
Kansas Woman Who Led
ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
Nov 1, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
Kansas Woman Who Led ISIS Battalion Gets the Max
2 of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children requested the sentence
A Kansas woman who pleaded guilty to leading an all-female ISIS battalion in Syria was on Tuesday handed the maximum possible sentence: 20 years. The AP reports two of Allison Fluke-Ekren's children asked the judge to give her that sentence, alleging they suffered physical and sexual abuse at...
French Cement Company
Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Oct 18, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
French Cement Company Pleads Guilty to Aiding ISIS
Lafarge paid millions of dollars to militants in order to keep Syria plant open
- French cement company Lafarge pleaded guilty Tuesday to paying millions of dollars to the Islamic State group in exchange for permission to keep open a plant in Syria, a case the Justice Department described as the first of its kind. The company also agreed to penalties totaling roughly $778 million....
Another 'Beatle' Hears His
Fate Over ISIS Hostages
Aug 19, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Another 'Beatle' Hears His Fate Over ISIS Hostages
UK national El Shafee Elsheikh, aka the 'Ringo' of the group, gets life in prison
- British national El Shafee Elsheikh was sentenced to life in prison Friday for his role in an Islamic State scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners hostage a decade ago. Elsheikh's hostages gave him a somewhat whimsical nickname—he was dubbed a "Beatle," along with other English-accented...
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others
During Evening Prayers
Aug 18, 2022 4:10 AM CDT
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others During Evening Prayers
Witnesses say suicide bomber attacked Kabul mosque
- A bombing at a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul during evening prayers killed at least 21 people, including a prominent cleric, and wounded at least 33 others, eyewitnesses and police said Thursday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack Wednesday night, the latest to strike...
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb
Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
Aug 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
It's a 'very huge loss' for the country, Taliban official says of death claimed by ISIS
- An Afghan cleric who supported the Taliban and went up against the Islamic State has been killed in a suicide bombing claimed by that same group. Sheikh Rahimullah Haqqani died at an Islamic seminary in Kabul when a man detonated a bomb hidden in his prosthetic leg, reports Reuters . In...
Deported From Turkey,
Arrested at UK Airport
Aug 11, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Deported From Turkey, Arrested at UK Airport
Aine Davis, man said to be 4th ISIS 'Beatle,' detained on terror charges in Luton
- Aine Davis, the man alleged to be the fourth Islamic State "Beatle" was deported from Turkey, then arrested Wednesday in the United Kingdom as soon as he landed. "A 38-year-old man has been charged with various terrorism offenses following an investigation by the Met's counterterrorism command,"...
Biden: Key Terrorist Has
Been Taken 'Off the Field'
Jul 12, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
Biden: Key Terrorist Has Been Taken 'Off the Field'
Maher al-Agal was killed in drone strike
- The Pentagon said Tuesday that it killed a leader of the Islamic State group in Syria in a drone strike. US Central Command said in a news release that Maher al-Agal was killed Tuesday and an unidentified senior official in the Islamic State group was seriously injured. The Pentagon said...
The Verdict Is In for
This ISIS 'Beatle'
Apr 29, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
The Verdict Is In for This ISIS 'Beatle'
El Shafee Elsheikh convicted for role in hostage-taking plot that left four Americans dead
- A jury convicted a British national Thursday for his role in an Islamic State group hostage-taking scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners captive a decade ago, resulting in the deaths of four Americans, three of whom were beheaded. In convicting El Shafee Elsheikh, the jury concluded he was one...
Islamic State 'Beatle' Guilty
in Deaths of Americans
Apr 14, 2022 12:53 PM CDT
Islamic State 'Beatle' Guilty in Deaths of Americans
El Shafee Elsheikh, convicted on all counts, faces life in prison
- A jury convicted a British national Thursday for his role in an Islamic State group hostage-taking scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners captive a decade ago, resulting in the deaths of four Americans, three of whom were beheaded. The jury deliberated for four hours before finding El Shafee Elsheikh...
Lawmaker's Death Was an
'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
Apr 12, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Lawmaker's Death Was an 'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
ISIS supporter Ali Harbi Ali, 26, found guilty of stabbing UK lawmaker David Amess to death
- A jury deliberated for just 18 minutes Monday before finding a fervent Islamic State supporter guilty of stabbing lawmaker David Amess to death, a slaying that shocked the nation and sparked calls for increased police protection for politicians. Ali Harbi Ali, 26, was found guilty by London's Central Criminal...
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,'
Riddled With Corruption
Mar 6, 2022 2:50 PM CST
5G Giant Ericsson 'Uninvestible,' Riddled With Corruption
Report: Corruption, fraud, and gross mismanagement risked employee lives
- In 2014, as ISIS was at the height of its power in Iraq, Swedish telecom giant Ericsson forged ahead with development of its 5G infrastructure in the region. In the process, it was likely stuffing cash into the pockets of ISIS militants. A leaked internal investigation report obtained by the...
She Left the US to Join
ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Jan 13, 2022 7:50 AM CST
She Left the US to Join ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Supreme Court won't hear appeal of Hoda Muthana, who went to Syria in 2014, wants to come back
She was born in New Jersey and raised in Alabama, but it looks like Hoda Muthana won't be going back to either anytime soon. On Monday, the US Supreme Court refused, without comment, to hear an appeal from the 27-year-old—who'd left Alabama to join the Islamic...
For 2nd Straight Week,
Mosque Attack Kills Dozens
Oct 15, 2021 8:55 AM CDT
For 2nd Straight Week, Mosque Attack Kills Dozens
Suicide bombers suspected to be from Islamic State target worshipers in Afghanistan
- Suicide bombers assaulted a Shiite mosque in southern Afghanistan that was packed with worshippers attending weekly Friday prayers, killing at least 37 people and wounding more than 70, according to a hospital official and an eyewitness. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack on the Imam Barga...
Dozens Killed in
Suicide Blast at
Oct 8, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Dozens Killed in Suicide Blast at Afghanistan Mosque
Taliban officials say Shiite minority was targeted
- A blast went off Friday at a mosque packed with Shiite Muslim worshippers in northern Afghanistan, killing or wounding at least 100 people, a Taliban police official said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, which took place in Kunduz, the capital of Kunduz province, but militants...
France Says It Killed
Regional ISIS Leader
Sep 16, 2021 4:19 AM CDT
France Says It Killed Regional ISIS Leader
Adnan Abu Walid al-Sahrawi was killed weeks ago, French defense officials say
- France killed the leader of Islamic State in the Greater Sahara because the group attacked French aid workers, African civilians, and US troops, French officials said Thursday, calling him "enemy No. 1" in protracted anti-terrorism efforts in the Sahel. French President Emmanuel Macron announced the death of Adnan Abu...
After Paris Terror Suspect's
Outburst, 'You Bastard' Is Heard
Sep 8, 2021 3:14 PM CDT
After Paris Terror Suspect's Outburst, 'You Bastard' Is Heard
'We suffered 130 deaths, you bastard,' somebody said from back of courtroom
- The trial of 20 men accused of involvement in the 2015 Paris terror attacks got underway Wednesday —and it was soon disrupted by an outburst from the main suspect, Saleh Abdeslam. The
reports that Abdeslam, believed to be the only survivor of the group that carried out the...
Group 'More Extreme' Than
the Taliban Struck in Kabul
Aug 27, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Group 'More Extreme' Than the Taliban Struck in Kabul
Here's what we know about ISIS-K
- The group claiming responsibility for Thursday's bombings near Kabul's airport, which killed 13 US service members and at least 95 Afghans, is the Islamic State Khorasan, or ISIS-K. This is the affiliate of the Islamic State in Afghanistan and Pakistan. What we know:
How it formed:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.