Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The 10 Best, Worst
Cities for Herbivores
Sep 27, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
The 10 Best, Worst Cities for Herbivores
WalletHub ranks the best places in the US for vegetarians, vegans
- If living a meat-free existence is your dietary M.O., WalletHub wants to help you find your herbivore paradise. To suss out which US metropolitan areas are the best choices for vegetarians and vegans, the site examined data for the 100 biggest cities, looking at 17 metrics across three main...
Vegan Mother Sentenced
to Life Over Toddler's Death
Aug 29, 2022 4:56 PM CDT
Vegan Mother Sentenced to Life Over Toddler's Death
Sheila O'Leary was convicted on charges including first-degree murder
- A vegan woman convicted of murder in the malnutrition death of her young son was sentenced Monday to life in prison. Sheila O'Leary, 38, whose family followed a strict vegan diet, was convicted in June on six charges—first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse, and two...
Traveler Receives Interesting
'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
in case you missed it
Aug 21, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Miriam Porter's TikTok on the water bottle, napkin she was served on Air Canada has gone viral
- Airline food isn't known for being particularly memorable, but Miriam Porter isn't likely to forget the one she was served on Air Canada anytime soon. Among the "special meals" the airline has listed on its website are vegetarian and vegan options, and Porter, a Canadian travel blogger...
3-Star Restaurant Known
for Meat Ditching the Meat
May 4, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
3-Star Restaurant Known for Meat Ditching the Meat
Eleven Madison Park will be almost entirely vegan upon reopening
- A Manhattan restaurant once considered the best in the world will no longer serve meat. David Humm's Eleven Madison Park, which topped the World's 50 Best Restaurants list in 2017 but failed to land a place in 2019 , plans to serve "an eight to ten course menu...
Vegan KitKat Is
Coming, for Some
Feb 15, 2021 12:18 PM CST
Vegan KitKat Is Coming, for Some
Nestle plans to test a plant-based version overseas
- It looks like vegans will be able to snack on a KitKat bar in the near future—though vegans in America will have to wait. Switzerland's Nestle said Monday that a vegan bar, called KitKat V, will be be launched later this year as a test run in “...
Vegans May Be More
Likely to Break Bones
Nov 23, 2020 8:47 AM CST
Vegans May Be More Likely to Break Bones
Largest study of its kind sees increased risk for those who don't eat animal products
- The largest study of its kind suggests that those who don't eat meat are more likely to suffer bone fractures. Vegans, who shun both meat and dairy, appear to have the greatest risk relative to vegetarians and pescatarians, particularly when it comes to hip fractures, reports CNN . To keep...
He Says He Was Fired for Being
Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Jan 3, 2020 10:57 AM CST
He Says He Was Fired for Being Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Decision says ethical veganism is belief worthy of protection from discrimination, but case isn't over
- A UK man who says he was fired due to his ethical veganism saw partial victory this week via an employment tribunal. Unlike run-of-the-mill veganism, ethical veganism resists not only an animal-based diet, but all kinds of animal exploitation, such as buying clothes made from leather, or testing products on...
McDonald's, Beyond Meat
Team Up on Meatless Burger
Sep 26, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
McDonald's, Beyond Meat Team Up on Meatless Burger
The 'PLT' will be available only in Canada for now
- McDonald's is taking a big step toward joining the meatless bandwagon. The chain said Thursday it will test a meatless burger in a partnership with Beyond Meat, reports Reuters . However, US patrons will have to wait to taste what's being called the "PLT"—plant, lettuce, and...
Sep 24, 2019 11:29 AM CDT
Disney-Loving Vegans, Rejoice
More than 400 plant-based options coming to US parks
- Plant-based dishes are coming to all 602 eateries at Disney's US theme parks. More than 400 dishes "made without animal meat, dairy, eggs or honey"—including cauliflower tacos, fried tofu, and carrot gnocchi—will arrive early next month at Florida's Walt Disney World, and in early...
Airport Police Concede
'Huge' Drug Find Was a Bust
Aug 30, 2019 3:27 PM CDT
Airport Police Concede 'Huge' Drug Find Was a Bust
White powder was for vegan cakes
- A suitcase containing 25 bags of white powder understandably caught the attention of police at London's Gatwick Airport. Tests on the powder and questioning began, the
reports. In the end, police said, "It was determined these bags of powder were cake ingredients for a vegan bakery."...
KFC Is About
to Serve Up
Aug 26, 2019 1:05 PM CDT
KFC Is About to Serve Up Vegan 'Chicken'
Fast food chain is testing Beyond Chicken in one store
- Non-meat "meat" products are almost everywhere, and the next place they're heading is KFC. The chain is testing a vegan version of its fried chicken in an Atlanta restaurant starting Tuesday, CNBC reports. The plant-based product comes from Beyond Meat, making KFC the first national US fast food...
Is Coming to You
Aug 1, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
Burger King's Impossible Whopper Is Coming to You
Nationwide rollout happens in a week
- A nationwide Impossible Whopper is just a week away. Burger King announced Thursday that its vegan burger—expanded to six additional markets following an increase in foot traffic in its initial test market of St. Louis—will be sold at all 7,200 locations across the country for a limited...
Men's Anti-Vegan Stunt
Had Them Eating Raw Squirrels
Jul 23, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
Men's Anti-Vegan Stunt Had Them Eating Raw Squirrels
They have been convicted and fined over the London incident
- There were the vegans who "terrorized" the butchers . Now, the meat eaters who tried to terrorize the vegans. The BBC reports a macabre scene in London on March 30 earned two men disorderly conduct convictions and fines on Monday. Gatis Lagzdins, 29; and Deonisy Khlebnikov, 22, stationed themselves in...
Nation's Top Meat Company
Joins Meatless Bandwagon
Jun 13, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Nation's Top Meat Company Joins Meatless Bandwagon
Tyson Foods is coming out with nuggets made from pea protein instead of chicken
- In a sign of just how fast the meat-substitute market is growing, Tyson Foods said Thursday it will be coming out with nuggets made from pea protein instead of chicken. This is the same Tyson Foods that killed 2 billion chickens last year as the nation's biggest meat company,...
First, Impossible Burger.
Now, Impossible Pizza
May 20, 2019 7:38 AM CDT
First, Impossible Burger. Now, Impossible Pizza
Little Caesars is first national pizza chain to offer a faux-meat topping
- The meat-substitute movement has entered the world of pizza. Little Caesars is the first national chain to offer a faux-meat topping—Impossible Sausage, reports Business Insider . It will be available on the $12 Impossible Supreme Pizza in select locations for a trial run, per
. The plant-based "sausage" comes...
Beyond Meat's IPO
Was Beyond Successful
May 3, 2019 1:00 AM CDT
Beyond Meat's IPO Was Beyond Successful
Share price more than doubled on first day
- Investors have a big appetite for fake meat. The shares of Beyond Meat, the purveyor of plant-based burgers and sausages, more than doubled Thursday in its Nasdaq debut. It's the first pure-play maker of vegan "meat" to go public, according to Renaissance Capital, which researches and tracks IPOs....
Vegan Whopper's Test Goes
Well; Now, It's Going National
Apr 29, 2019 11:32 AM CDT
Vegan Whopper's Test Goes Well; Now, It's Going National
Company rolling out 'Impossible Whopper' to all locations this year
- Earlier this month, Burger King began testing a vegan Whopper in the St. Louis area. Reviews came in surprisingly strong—including this one from a worried meat-industry lobbyist who could see or taste no substantial difference between the vegan "Impossible Whopper" and the beef version. As a result, Burger...
Bride Draws the Line With
Her Wedding: 'No Murderers'
Jan 26, 2019 11:15 AM CST
Bride Draws the Line With Her Wedding: 'No Murderers'
The unidentified Aussie refused to invite meat-eaters
- An Australian bride's line when it came to wedding invitations—"No murderers"—apparently didn't go over well on Facebook. According to Australia's News Network , the unidentified vegan banned meat-eating family members from her wedding and got slammed for it: "When your 'family' tries...
A Vegan's Mom Made Meat
Sauce. It Didn't Go Over Well
Nov 3, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
A Vegan's Mom Made Meat Sauce. It Didn't Go Over Well
Daughter accused of threatening to stab mother over meaty meal
- Kids sometimes don't like the food their parents make, but a) this woman's picky-eater daughter is 48 years old, and b) most kids don't threaten to knife their parents over what's cooking. The
New York Post
reports on a story out of Italy, where local media...
Law Would Force Tofurky
to Change Its Packaging
Aug 27, 2018 6:15 PM CDT
Law Would Force Tofurky to Change Its Packaging
Tofurky filed a suit to stop it
- Vegetarian food-maker Tofurky filed a lawsuit in Missouri on Monday seeking to defend its right to describe its products with meat terminology such as "sausage" and "hot dogs," as long as the packaging makes clear what the ingredients are, the AP reports. The Hood River, Oregon-based company...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Biden Signs NDA Limits Into Law
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.