Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dec 26, 2022 8:01 PM CST
Ukraine Sets Condition for Peace Summit
Moscow government must face war crimes tribunal first, foreign minister says
- Ukraine's foreign minister said Monday that his nation wants a summit to end the war but that he doesn't anticipate Russia taking part, a statement making it hard to foresee the devastating invasion ending soon. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba told the AP in Kyiv that his government...
Nation That Balked
at Landmark COP15
Deal Changes Tune
Dec 20, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Nation That Balked at Landmark COP15 Deal Changes Tune
Biodiverse Democratic Republic of Congo now says it's on board
- A historic deal signed Monday at the UN's COP15 biodiversity summit had a lone objector: Eve Bazaiba of the Democratic Republic of Congo, whose objection was ignored by COP15 President Huang Runqiu, China's environmental minister. Now, Bazaiba is walking back her objection, easing fears of a legal challenge...
of Twitter Jail,
but EU, UN
Dec 17, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Musk Lets Journos Out of Twitter Jail, but EU, UN Are Ticked
United Nations calls the bans a 'dangerous precedent'; EU threatens sanctions
- "The people have spoken." That was Elon Musk's overnight tweet on Friday announcing the results of his most recent poll, which asked his followers when to unsuspend the various reporters Twitter suspended earlier in the week for what Musk claims was real-time "doxxing" on his location....
as UN Envoy
After 21 Years
Dec 16, 2022 5:05 PM CST
Angelina Jolie Leaves Post as UN Envoy After 21 Years
Actress has expressed frustration with efforts to end sexual violence in wars
- Angelina Jolie and the United Nations' refugee agency are parting ways after more than two decades. The American actress and the agency announced she was "moving on" from her role as the agency's special envoy "to engage on a broader set of humanitarian and human rights issues"...
On UN Climate
Issue, a Historic
Nov 19, 2022 9:00 AM CST
On UN Climate Talks' Thorniest Issue, a Historic Agreement
Under deal, which still needs final vote, rich nations will compensate poor nations affected by pollution
- Negotiators say they've struck a potential breakthrough deal on the thorniest issue of United Nations climate talks: the creation of a fund for compensating poor nations that are victims of extreme weather worsened by rich nations' carbon pollution. "There is an agreement on loss and damage," which...
Just Hit a Milestone
Nov 15, 2022 6:42 AM CST
World Population Just Hit a Milestone
It's estimated to top 8B for the first time on Tuesday
- You are now one of 8 billion people on the planet, according to UN estimates. The organization calculates the world population will cross the 8 billion mark on Nov. 15, though it admits it could be off as counting every single person on the planet is nearly impossible. Regardless, the...
Head of UN
Nov 10, 2022 10:39 AM CST
Head of UN Climate Talks Bristles Over Summit 'Glitches'
Egypt's foreign minister slams media for focusing on event's food, drink issues, not climate change
- Drinks are on the house at this year's UN climate talks, and the price of food will be slashed in half, Egypt's foreign minister said Thursday, following complaints from delegates that they were struggling to get food and water during the event. But on another issue that threatened...
UN Chief: We're On the
'Highway to Climate Hell'
Nov 7, 2022 1:03 PM CST
UN Chief: We're On the 'Highway to Climate Hell'
'Humanity has a choice: cooperate or perish,' he tells COP27 climate conference
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres spoke at the start of the COP27 climate conference in Egypt Monday—and he didn't try to sugarcoat his warning about the scale of the challenge the world faces. "Humanity has a choice: cooperate or perish," he told delegates in Sharm el-Sheikh, per...
Big UN Majority
Tells Russia to
Drop Land Grab
Oct 12, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Big UN Majority Tells Russia to Drop Land Grab
Support for Ukraine exceeds Western nations' hopes
- The UN General Assembly voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to condemn Russia's "attempted illegal annexation" of four Ukrainian regions and demand its immediate reversal, a sign of strong global opposition to the seven-month war and Moscow's attempt to grab its neighbor's territory. The vote in the 193-member world...
Russia Now Has
a New Arms Dealer
Sep 6, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Russia Now Has a New Arms Dealer
Purchase of artillery shells, rockets a sign of desperation, says US official
- With global sanctions preventing Russia from seeking military equipment from its usual sources, the country has now turned to North Korea. Russia, which recently purchased Iranian drones, is now buying millions of artillery shells and short-range rockets from Pyongyang, according to US intelligence. It's a sign of what one...
Aug 24, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
US Keeps Over 40K in Solitary: Report
States pass or take up legislation to limit the practice
- American prisons are holding tens of thousands of inmates in solitary confinement—a practice much of the world calls a human rights violation and the United Nations considers torture. Between 41,000 and 48,000 men and women were being kept for an average of 22 hours a day, for...
UN Chief: We're a Step Away
From 'Nuclear Annihilation'
Aug 2, 2022 6:48 AM CDT
UN Chief: We're a Step Away From 'Nuclear Annihilation'
Antonio Guterres calls on nations to reaffirm Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty
- The United Nations chief warned the world Monday that "humanity is just one misunderstanding, one miscalculation away from nuclear annihilation." Secretary-General Antonio Guterres gave the dire warning at the opening of the long-delayed high-level meeting to review the landmark 50-year-old treaty aimed at preventing the spread of nuclear...
Red Cross Pushes to See
Wounded in Prison
Jul 30, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Red Cross Pushes to See Wounded in Prison
Condemnation by UN isn't sufficient, Zelensky says after attack
- Ukrainian and Russian officials blamed each other Saturday for the deaths of dozens of Ukrainian prisoners of war in an attack on a prison in a separatist-controlled area. The International Red Cross asked to visit the prison to make sure the scores of wounded POWs had proper treatment but said...
Russia, Ukraine Sign Grain Deal
Jul 22, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Russia, Ukraine Sign Grain Deal
UN calls wartime agreement unprecedented as Kyiv government expresses doubts
- Russia and Ukraine signed separate agreements Friday with Turkey and the United Nations clearing the way for the export of millions of tons of desperately needed Ukrainian grain—as well as some Russian grain and fertilizer—across the Black Sea. The long-sought deal ends a wartime standoff that has threatened...
The Wedding May Save a
Family. But the Bride Is 8
Jul 6, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
The Wedding May Save a Family. But the Bride Is 8
Experts warn of child marriage, for some an alternative to starvation, amid catastrophe
- Nyekuoth Manyuan dreamed of becoming a doctor. Instead, at 14, she was taken from her village of Kueryiek in South Sudan and wed to a 25-year-old man in exchange for 60 cattle. "I know I'm young," Nyekuoth told CBS News foreign correspondent Debora Patta. "But the...
US Bid to Add
May 26, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Vetoes Block US Bid to Add Sanctions for North Korea
China, Russia oppose resolution, the first major UN Security Council split over the issue
- A US effort to impose new sanctions on North Korea over its series of intercontinental ballistic missile launches was blocked Thursday in the United Nations. China and Russia vetoed the resolution, making the Security Council vote 13-2. It was the first major split among the five nations with vetoes on...
UN Wanted Affordable Housing,
Got a Pop Song Instead
May 9, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
UN Wanted Affordable Housing, Got a Pop Song Instead
In some corners of the UN, bad ideas have too much room to grow
- Officials at a UN agency squandered millions of dollars through a demonstrably poor series of decisions, according to a recent
New York Times
investigation. It was born of good intentions: to build affordable housing in needy areas around the world, along with renewable energy projects. The project gained legs in...
Mariupol Plant Holds
Apr 30, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Mariupol Plant Holds 600 Wounded
UN tries to arrange civilian evacuations
- Ukrainian forces fought village by village Saturday to hold back a Russian advance through the country's east, while the UN worked to broker a civilian evacuation from the last defensive stronghold in the bombed-out ruins of the port city of Mariupol. An estimated 100,000 civilians remain in the...
Another Day, Another
Dire Report on the Planet
Apr 28, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Another Day, Another Dire Report on the Planet
Up to 40% of planet's land is now degraded and we need to address it to alleviate climate change
- A new report from the United Nations says land degradation is already affecting half of the Earth's population, because there's a whole lot of land involved. According to the UN's second edition of its "Global Land Outlook" analysis, between 20% and 40% of the planet's...
UN Chief Tours
Towns Near Kyiv,
Says 'War Is Evil'
Apr 28, 2022 6:24 AM CDT
UN Chief Tours Towns Near Kyiv, Says 'War Is Evil'
But Antonio Guterres didn't directly criticize Russia
- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has toured devastated areas outside the Ukrainian capital that were occupied by Russian troops. Speaking to journalists on Thursday at several points, Guterres urged Russia to cooperate with the International Criminal Court, the AP reports. That’s after the bodies of civilians were found in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.