Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Value of This Rare, Storied
Nickel Will Blow Your Mind
Oct 18, 2022 2:03 PM CDT
Value of This Rare, Storied Nickel Will Blow Your Mind
Liberty Head nickel kept in closet for 41 years is worth $4.2 million
- There are five US nickels dated 1913 that carry Lady Liberty on the front and a "V" on the back. Two are held in museums and a third just sold for a whopping $4.2 million—or 84,000,000 nickels. That's because the 1913 Liberty Head nickel...
UK Pound Falls
to Record Low,
as a 'Perfect
Sep 26, 2022 8:16 AM CDT
UK Pound Falls to Record Low, as a 'Perfect Storm' Looms
Economists warn nation's newly pledged tax cuts could help drive it straight into recession
- The British pound fell to an all-time low against the US dollar early Monday after Treasury chief Kwasi Kwarteng pledged a sweeping package of tax cuts, fueling concerns about the government's economic policy as the United Kingdom teeters toward recession. The pound fell as low as $1.0373, its...
New 'Remarkable' Women's
Quarters Starts With a Big One
Jan 11, 2022 8:31 AM CST
New 'Remarkable' Women's Quarters Starts With a Big One
US Mint has started shipping quarters with image of poet Maya Angelou, first in a series
- The United States Mint said Monday it has begun shipping quarters featuring the image of poet Maya Angelou, the first coins in its American Women Quarters Program. Angelou, an American author, poet, and civil rights activist, rose to prominence with the publication of
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
North Korea's Currency
Is Doing Something Weird
Oct 15, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
North Korea's Currency Is Doing Something Weird
Unofficial exchange rate has surged 25% despite country's many economic woes
- Something strange is happening with North Korea's currency—and while analysts aren't sure what the cause is, few believe it's a sign of a healthy economy. The official exchange rate for the North Korean won has long been around 100 to the dollar, but according to outlets...
Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
Sep 7, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
Starting Tuesday, bitcoin can be used as legal tender nationwide
- Earlier this year, El Salvador became the first country to give bitcoin the green light as legal tender. And Tuesday is "B-day," the day that legislation goes into effect, with Salvadorans now able to use the cryptocurrency in any transaction. Residents in the country—which has had the...
Dow Closes Down 767 Points
After China's 'Breaking 7' News
Aug 5, 2019 3:14 PM CDT
Dow Closes Down 767 Points After China's 'Breaking 7' News
The yuan has dropped to the 7-per-dollar level
- By late afternoon local time Monday, one Chinese yuan was worth 14.2 cents. It hasn't been that low since February 2008, and that puts it "below the politically sensitive" seven-per-dollar level. The "breaking seven" news garnered comments from President Trump and triggered Wall Street's worst...
She Sold Her Family
Home. She Didn't
Know About the
May 24, 2019 10:52 AM CDT
She Sold Her Family Home. She Didn't Know About the Secret Safe
Now, legal wrangling over the Civil War-era gold certificates found inside that are worth millions
- A story out of New Jersey has both legal experts and Reddit threads buzzing , and has spurred both a civil lawsuit and a criminal trial. It involves a secret safe hidden under the basement stairs of an Asbury Park home once owned by Elaine Palmer, who died in 2004, and...
The Harriet Tubman $20 Bill
Isn't Coming in 2020 After All
May 22, 2019 12:34 PM CDT
The Harriet Tubman $20 Bill Isn't Coming in 2020 After All
We won't know if she'll for sure be on it until 2026
- The 108th anniversary doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but that's apparently how it's going to be. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Wednesday announced that the redesigned $20 bill—which former Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew in 2016 decided would feature Harriet Tubman—will not be...
Toddler Shreds $1K in Cash
Oct 5, 2018 2:37 AM CDT
Toddler Shreds $1K in Cash
Parents had saved it for college football tickets
- Leo Belnap, a 2-year-old boy in Holladay, Utah, loves putting junk mail and other paper in the shredder that he sometimes helps his mom with. Unfortunately for his parents, some of the paper he put through it recently was green and had pictures of presidents on it. Ben and Jackee...
Bitcoin Used in
2010 to Buy
2 Pizzas Now
May 23, 2018 8:56 AM CDT
Bitcoin Used in 2010 to Buy 2 Pizzas Now Worth $82M
The cryptocurrency has gone up in price just a bit since then
- Hallmark may need to update its official list of holidays . Tuesday was Bitcoin Pizza Day, or what Business Insider calls "the most celebrated day in crypto," marking the eighth anniversary of when programmer Laszlo Hanyecz made what's thought to be the very first purchase with bitcoin. That...
'Fake' Coin Will Actually
Make Owner 'Quite Rich'
Apr 27, 2018 8:45 AM CDT
'Fake' Coin Will Actually Make Owner 'Quite Rich'
Turns out it's one of a handful of rare $5 Liberty Head Half Eagles, minted in 1854
- In what a currency expert tells the
San Francisco Chronicle
is the equivalent of "finding an original Picasso at a garage sale," a rare coin from the California gold rush has been unearthed—said to be one of only four still in existence. The Independent reports the unnamed...
In Pacific NW, an 'Intensifying
Guerilla Warfare' Over Bitcoin
Mar 9, 2018 3:03 PM CST
In Pacific NW, an 'Intensifying Guerilla Warfare' Over Bitcoin
Mid-Columbia Basin's space, hydroelectric power has made it top site for bitcoin mining in US
- You'd think any old region would do for a bitcoin mining business : Just set up a computer, solve a bunch of sophisticated math puzzles, and start raking in that sweet virtual currency. But as Paul Roberts' deep dive on Politico notes, that kind of computer power can require "...
Why a Tech Pioneer's $59B
Fortune May Be Fleeting
Jan 5, 2018 8:04 AM CST
Why a Tech Pioneer's $59B Fortune May Be Fleeting
Ripple CEO Chris Larsen's riches may just be part of cryptocurrency 'hysteria,' analyst says
- Chris Larsen may not be the household name that Mark Zuckerberg is, but with the amount of wealth he has (at least on paper), he may not care.
notes Larsen has in his personal holdings 5.19 billion XRP tokens from his virtual-currency company, Ripple, in addition to a...
Searching for a Foundation,
They Found Treasure Instead
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 19, 2017 3:00 PM CST
Searching for a Foundation, They Found Treasure Instead
'I thought how I'd never again see something like it'
- They were searching for an old infirmary. What they uncovered was an "exceptional and extremely rare treasure": 2,200 silver coins, 21 gold coins, a gold signet ring, gold foil, and a circular object also made of gold. It's a collection unlike any ever found, according to French...
If You Invested $100 in Bitcoin
in 2010, You'd Have $75M Now
May 23, 2017 2:39 AM CDT
If You Invested $100 in Bitcoin in 2010, You'd Have $75M Now
Price has more than doubled this month
- Monday was Bitcoin Pizza Day, the anniversary of the day in 2010 when developer Laszlo Hanyecz paid 10,000 bitcoins for two pizzas in the online currency's first recognized transaction. The same amount of bitcoins would be worth around $22.5 million now. The currency, which sank to $443...
Trump: US Dollar Is
'Getting Too Strong'
Apr 13, 2017 6:32 AM CDT
Trump: US Dollar Is 'Getting Too Strong'
He shifted on 3 policies in WSJ interview
- President Trump managed to do an about-face on no less than three policies in an interview with the
Wall Street Journal
on Wednesday—and he made what analysts say were highly unusual comments about the American dollar in the process. "I think our dollar is getting too strong, and...
Venezuela's Leader Blames
'Macabre' Obama Plan
for Looting, Riots
Dec 19, 2016 12:33 AM CST
Venezuela's Leader Blames 'Macabre' Obama Plan for Looting, Riots
He claims decision to scrap bank notes is a triumph
- Venezuela's president said Sunday that the sudden decision to scrap the country's most-used currency bill was an economic triumph over the country's enemies even as the government sent troops and police to cities where riots and looting broke out over the measure. In a national radio and...
Queen Was Only Woman on
Canadian Money—Until Now
Dec 8, 2016 10:26 AM CST
Queen Was Only Woman on Canadian Money—Until Now
Viola Desmond, 'Rosa Parks of Canada,' to appear on $10 bill in 2018
- Only one woman currently appears on Canadian currency, but Queen Elizabeth II is about to get a partner. Starting in 2018, civil rights pioneer Viola Desmond—aka the "Rosa Parks of Canada"—will have her mug on the country's $10 bill, the
3 Weeks After India's
Rupee Ban, a 'Day of Rage'
Nov 28, 2016 11:57 AM CST
3 Weeks After India's Rupee Ban, a 'Day of Rage'
Monday sees scattered protests
- A surprise move earlier this month took India's two largest bank notes out of circulation, and on Monday scattered "day of rage" protests cropped up in various cities in response to the measure, the BBC reports. Although the ban on the 500- and 1,000-rupee notes was meant...
He Works at
Not Messing With
Nov 21, 2016 9:26 AM CST
He Works at Home Depot—When Not Messing With Venezuela
Gustavo Diaz once tried to overthrow Chavez; now he lives in Alabama
- When he's not selling padlocks at Home Depot in Hoover, Ala., 60-year-old Gustavo Diaz is heading what Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro calls an "economic war" against his country, laid out in full by the
Wall Street Journal
. Diaz's instrument: his DolarToday.com website, which Venezuela insists posts...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.