Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
6 African Nations Now Form
a Continent-Wide 'Coup Belt'
Aug 1, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
6 African Nations Now Form a Continent-Wide 'Coup Belt'
From Sudan in the east to Guinea in the west
- Take a map of Africa, shade in the nations that have had military coups over the last few years, and you'll see the pattern: It's what Declan Walsh in the
New York Times
calls a "coup belt" stretching across the entire continent. It goes from Guinea on...
Sudan's War May Take
a Surprise Toll on Coke, Pepsi
May 7, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Sudan's War May Take a Surprise Toll on Coke, Pepsi
Fighting threatens the supply of gum arabic, an ingredient vital for soda-makers
- The war between two generals in Sudan is threatening to create what the UN calls a humanitarian catastrophe . But big-name manufacturers of everything from soda to chewing gum are bracing for a smaller effect: shortages of a vital ingredient called gum arabic. Rural regions in Sudan produce 70% of the...
The Numbers Out
of Sudan Are Jarring
May 2, 2023 12:18 PM CDT
The Numbers Out of Sudan Are Jarring
More than 100K have fled the country's fighting, and the UN warns the total may reach 800K
- Two rival generals in Sudan have been waging war against each other for more than two weeks now, and the UN offered some stats on Tuesday reflecting the brutal impact on citizens:
More than 100,000 have fled to neighboring nations already, and the figure is projected to rise
On Day He Decided to Flee
Khartoum, US Doctor Killed
May 1, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
On Day He Decided to Flee Khartoum, US Doctor Killed
Bushra Ibnauf Sulieman kept working in capital as long as he could
- Bound to Sudan by ailing parents and his devotion to treating the poor there, American doctor Bushra Ibnauf Sulieman kept working as long as he could after fighting engulfed Sudan’s capital. For days after battles between two rival Sudanese commanders erupted in Khartoum on April 15, the 49-year-old Sulieman...
US: Hundreds of Evacuees
Have Reached Port Sudan
Apr 29, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
US: Hundreds of Evacuees Have Reached Port Sudan
Group reportedly met at golf course in Khartoum, took overland route to sea
- Hundreds of Americans fleeing two weeks of deadly fighting in Sudan reached the east African nation's port Saturday in the first US-run evacuation, completing a dangerous land journey under escort of armed drones, the State Department reported. American unmanned aircraft, which have been keeping an eye on overland evacuation...
Mystery of Ex-Dictator
Heightens Sudan Crisis
Apr 26, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Mystery of Ex-Dictator Heightens Sudan Crisis
Omar Hassan al-Bashir was in prison but now the military says he's in the hospital
- Sudan's journey towards democratic rule has hit a wall. As rival generals clash , fomenting internal turmoil, the question of former dictator Omar Hassan al-Bashir's whereabouts is "swirling around the country," the
New York Times
reports. Deposed in 2019 after three decades, the former leader is wanted...
US Military Evacuates
Embassy in Sudan
Apr 23, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
US Military Evacuates Embassy in Sudan
Fighting between two rival generals shows no sign of stopping
- The US military airlifted embassy officials out of Sudan on Sunday as rival generals battled for control of Africa’s third-largest country for a ninth straight day, per the AP . The violence came despite a declared truce that was to coincide with the three-day Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr. After...
Sudan's Army Says It Will
Help US Diplomats Escape
Apr 22, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
Sudan's Army Says It Will Help US Diplomats Escape
Other US citizens urged to shelter in place as fighting rages
- The Sudanese army said Saturday it was coordinating efforts to evacuate diplomats from the United States, Britain, China, and France out of the country on military airplanes, as fighting persisted in the capital, including at its main airport. The military said that army chief Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan had spoken...
The World Has a New War
Unfolding, This One in Africa
Apr 16, 2023 7:22 AM CDT
The World Has a New War Unfolding, This One in Africa
Power struggle between two generals erupts in Sudan
- The UN Security Council can't agree on much these days, given that Russia is one of its members, but it can agree on this: Fighting that erupted in Sudan over the weekend must stop before it escalates into full-fledged civil war. The council on Sunday issued a statement that...
Woman's 'Death by Stoning'
Sentence Rattles Activists
Jul 13, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Woman's 'Death by Stoning' Sentence Rattles Activists
It's the first such sentence in Sudan in nearly a decade
- An October military coup in Sudan may have shifted the movement on women's rights there, and not in a good way. A 20-year-old woman arrested in White Nile state last month and charged with adultery has now heard her fate: death by stoning, the first known sentence like it...
More Than 15K Sheep
Drown When Ship Sinks
Jun 13, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
More Than 15K Sheep Drown When Ship Sinks
Official says they likely 'could have been rescued'
- Most of the 15,800 sheep aboard a livestock vessel died when the ship sank early Sunday in Sudan’s Red Sea port of Suakin. The animals were being exported from Sudan to Saudi Arabia at the time, the
reports. All crew members aboard the ship survived. The head...
of Sudan Steps Down
Jan 3, 2022 1:47 AM CST
Prime Minister of Sudan Steps Down
Abdalla Hamdok announces resignation amid protests
- Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok announced his resignation Sunday amid political deadlock and widespread pro-democracy protests following a military coup that derailed the country’s fragile transition to democratic rule, the AP reports. Hamdok, a former UN official seen as the civilian face of Sudan’s transitional government, had...
Nov 21, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Prime Minister Reaches Deal With Military
Hamdok will be reinstated after Sudan's coup, but pro-democracy groups oppose the deal
- Sudan's deposed prime minister signed a deal with the military on Sunday that will see him reinstated, almost a month after a military coup put him under house arrest. A key pro-democracy group that has mobilized dozens of protests had dismissed the deal as "a form of betrayal....
Troops Fatally Fire Into
Nov 13, 2021 2:05 PM CST
Troops Fatally Fire Into Pro-Democracy Protesters
At least 5 demonstrators are killed in Sudan
- Sudanese security forces fired live ammunition and tear gas on Saturday to disperse protesters denouncing the military's tightening grip on the country, killing at least five and wounding several, activists said. The violence came as thousands of pro-democracy protesters yet again took to the streets across Sudan to rally...
2 Were Shot
Dead, Group Says
Oct 30, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Protesters Chanted 'Revolution!' 2 Were Shot Dead, Group Says
Doctors union says Sudan security forces killed 2 amid demonstrations against recent military coup
- Sudanese security forces shot dead two people Saturday during mass protests against the country's recent military coup, a doctors union said. The shootings came despite repeated appeals by the West to Sudan's new military rulers to show restraint and allow peaceful protests, per the AP . During the protests,...
US Warns It Will Pull Aid to
Sudan After Apparent Coup
Oct 25, 2021 7:10 AM CDT
US Warns It Will Pull Aid to Sudan After Apparent Coup
PM Abdalla Hamdok reportedly arrested, taken to an undisclosed location
It wasn't clear early Monday whether military forces surrounding the home of the Sudanese prime minister were protecting him or going after him, but the nation's Ministry of Information and Hamdok's economic adviser now say the PM has been arrested and whisked away in what CNN...
Think Egypt Has the
Most Pyramids? Not So
Apr 11, 2021 1:59 PM CDT
Think Egypt Has the Most Pyramids? Not So
A 'NYT' writer explores the Meroe pyramids of Sudan
- Just days before parts of Europe entered lockdown, Italian photojournalist Alessio Mamo traveled to Sudan, where he managed to set eyes on a sight that many of the country's own people haven't been able to see: the pyramids of Meroe, a city that served as the Kingdom of...
After 27 Years,
Sudan Is Off
US Terror List
Dec 14, 2020 3:21 PM CST
After 27 Years, Sudan Is Off US Terror List
Country is now a 'peaceful nation supporting global stability'
- A new era is dawning in Sudan, which has been taken off the US list of state sponsors of terrorism after 27 years. The US embassy in the capital, Khartoum, said Monday that 45 days had elapsed since President Trump gave Congress notice of the move, making delisting official, NPR...
Another Mideast Deal
Oct 23, 2020 1:36 PM CDT
Trump Scores Another Mideast Deal
Sudan will join Arab nations normalizing relations with Israel
- President Trump said Friday that Sudan will normalize ties with Israel, making it the third Arab state to do so as part of US-brokered deals in the runup to Election Day. The deal, which would deepen Sudan's engagement with the West, follows Trump's conditional agreement this week to...
Sudan: a State Sponsor
of Terror No More?
Aug 26, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Sudan: a State Sponsor of Terror No More?
US proposal would free country from sanctions—at a price
- The Trump administration has offered to remove Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism—if the poverty-stricken country will fork over $330 million. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo discussed the proposal during a meeting with Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok in Khartoum on Tuesday, per the BBC , though...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.