Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Young Professionals, Check
Out the Work Climate Here
Sep 18, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Young Professionals, Check Out the Work Climate Here
New England dominates Scholaroo's best states for workers trying to establish their careers
- If you've just graduated or are graduating soon and are looking for a place to jump-start your career, some states offer more in the way of job markets and affordable living. Scholaroo attempts to flesh out which US states are the best for today's young professionals, using nearly...
Scuba Divers Rescue Baby
Shark Trapped in Odd Place
Sep 13, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Scuba Divers Rescue Baby Shark Trapped in Odd Place
Connecticut couple diving in Rhode Island found juvenile creature stuck in a work glove
- A Connecticut couple's scuba diving trip in Rhode Island on Monday turned into a mission to rescue a baby shark. Deb and Steve Dauphinais of Glastonbury, Connecticut, were diving on the sand flats off Jamestown, Rhode Island, when Deb Dauphinais spotted the 16-inch juvenile shark with its head stuck...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
Having a Baby
Aug 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Having a Baby Soon? One State Outranks the Others
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- If your future plans include starting a family and you're open to a move (or wondering whether your current location is ideal), WalletHub has some insights. The site looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia, not only on the issue of costs tied to having a...
This Is the Best State in
America for Health Care
Jul 31, 2023 5:47 PM CDT
This Is the Best State in America for Health Care
Minnesota tops WalletHub's list, with West Virginia coming in last
- Health care in the US before COVID was already a prime political topic—and after the pandemic hit, it became even more so. WalletHub wanted to see which states offered the best, most affordable services, so it looked at all 50 states and Washington, DC, using more than 40 metrics...
Rhode Island Officials Under
Fire After 'Bizarre' Visit to Philly
Jun 13, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Rhode Island Officials Under Fire After 'Bizarre' Visit to Philly
'Offensive' behavior on work trip included racism, sexism, demands for Diet Coke, per allegations
- Two Rhode Island officials who traveled to Philadelphia on a work trip are now the subject of two investigations within their own state—one by the state police, another by the governor's office—for behavior on that trip that's being described as "offensive" and "bizarre."...
Old Stained Glass Window
Depicts Jesus in Unusual Light
May 14, 2023 6:50 AM CDT
Old Stained Glass Window Depicts Jesus in Unusual Light
His dark skin in 150-year-old Rhode Island window may have been sending a message
- A nearly 150-year-old stained-glass church window that depicts a dark-skinned Jesus Christ interacting with women in New Testament scenes has stirred up questions about race, Rhode Island's role in the slave trade, and the place of women in 19th century New England society. The window installed at the long-closed...
This Is the Best
US State for Women
Mar 7, 2023 5:53 PM CST
This Is the Best US State for Women
Vermont is No. 1, while Oklahoma comes in last in WalletHub's rankings
- It's Women's History Month , and what better way to celebrate the occasion than to offer some leads on tracking down the best places for women to live. WalletHub has done much of the legwork, looking at more than two dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC in...
These Are the Best,
Worst States for Jobs
Nov 30, 2022 4:11 PM CST
These Are the Best, Worst States for Jobs
Washington tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia comes in last
- After a tumultuous couple of years marred by the pandemic, the job market is looking up, with many employers eagerly seeking new workers for their payrolls. Conditions for the job hunt are better in some states than in others, and WalletHub is here to break it all down. The site...
'Is There in the Tree Rings'
Aug 31, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Shipwreck's Story 'Is There in the Tree Rings'
Tree ring data suggests it's the Dolphin, which was lost in 1859
- "For me, the story is there in the tree rings." That's the takeaway of a dendrochronologist—an expert in dating events and artifacts from tree rings—who was part of a team that used tree ring data from a shipwreck found in Argentina in 2004 to determine...
Captain Cook's Endeavour
Is Being Wrecked Again
Aug 15, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
This time apparently by shipworms, the so-called 'termites of the ocean'
- The shipwreck in Rhode Island's Newport Harbor that is believed by many to be that of Captain Cook's HMB Endeavour is reportedly in rough shape. Marine biologist Reuben Shipway, who is an expert on shipworms (the so-called "termites of the ocean"), tells the
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
Scientists Hunt for Remains
of Colonists' Act of Rebellion
May 11, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Scientists Hunt for Remains of Colonists' Act of Rebellion
The HMS Gaspee was burned off Rhode Island in 1772
- A new effort is underway to find the remains of a British ship that Rhode Island colonists burned 250 years ago, marine archaeologists and state officials announced Tuesday. The June 10, 1772, burning of the HMS Gaspee was an an act of rebellion that some proud Rhode Islanders maintain was...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
May Be Found
Feb 3, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Captain Cook's Legendary Ship May Be Found
Researchers bicker over confirmation of wreck off Rhode Island
- The long-lost
, which Capt. James Cook used to sail the South Pacific while claiming New Zealand and Australia for Great Britain in 1770, has reportedly been found. Kevin Sumption, director of the Australian National Maritime Museum, announced Thursday that "the final resting place of one of the most...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
Scotland Jails Fugitive
Has Already Run
Jan 21, 2022 3:42 PM CST
Scotland Jails Fugitive Whose Obituary Has Already Run
Sheriff declares American Nicholas Alahverdian untrustworthy
: A wanted man who evaded capture for years after, authorities say, faking his death, was jailed Friday without bail in Scotland when the court decreed he "cannot be trusted." Nicholas Alahverdian was picked up after failing to show up for an extradition hearing, the AP reports. He'...
After New Probe,
Into Death of
Nov 24, 2021 2:03 AM CST
After New Probe, Same Conclusion Into Death of Heiress' Employee
Doris Duke ran him down accidentally, city finds
The death of one of Doris Duke's employees remains, officially, an accident after the city manager in Newport, Rhode Island, stood by the city police department's review of the 1966 case. That review determined, as the original police investigation had, that no "definitive motive or intent"...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.