Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Morgan Names Royals Who
Made Alleged Racist Comments
Nov 30, 2023 8:19 AM CST
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Book says King Charles, Kate Middleton made remark on skin color of Harry, Meghan's unborn son
- More than two years ago, Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, made reference during an interview with Oprah Winfrey about "concerns and conversations" with the royal family about how dark the skin of their then-unborn son Archie would be when he emerged, fueling plenty of rumors about who...
'Tyranny of the Scales'
Nov 29, 2023 10:20 AM CST
'Tyranny of the Scales' Eliminated From British Gymnastics
British Gymnastics unveils new policies designed to put children's welfare first
- British gymnastics coaches can instruct their gymnasts to do many things. Step on a scale isn't one of them anymore. The BBC reports that new British Gymnastics rules prohibit "harmful" weight-management practices that it described as "on the fringes of abuse." Going forward, no child 10...
UK Can't Send
Nov 15, 2023 6:21 AM CST
Top Court: UK Can't Send Asylum-Seekers to Rwanda
Supreme Court decision deals PM Rishi Sunak's policy a big blow
- Britain's Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the government's contentious plan to send some migrants on a one-way trip to Rwanda is illegal, striking a major blow to a key policy of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's government that has drawn international attention and criticism. Five justices on the...
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle'
Sentenced in UK
Nov 13, 2023 1:24 PM CST
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle' Sentenced in UK
Aine Davis was arrested at a UK airport after he finished a 7-year sentence in Turkey
- A man suspected of being the fourth member of the ISIS "Beatles" kidnap gang has been sentenced to eight years in prison in the UK for terror-related offenses. Aine Davis, 39, spent seven years in prison in Turkey for being a member of the extremist group and was arrested...
Terminally Ill Baby at Center
of Legal Battle Dies
Nov 13, 2023 11:05 AM CST
Terminally Ill Baby at Center of Legal Battle Dies
Indi Gregory, in midst of standoff between parents, Britain, and Italy, was taken off life support Sunday
- A terminally ill baby at the center of a legal battle involving her parents, British health officials, and the Italian government has died, a group supporting her family said Monday, reports the AP . Christian Concern said Indi Gregory died in a hospice on Monday morning after her life support was...
The Plane Took Off. It Seemed
'Noisier and Colder' Than Usual
Nov 10, 2023 8:44 AM CST
The Plane Took Off. It Seemed 'Noisier and Colder' Than Usual
Aircraft out of London with missing windows got to altitude of 14.5K feet before damage was spotted
- Twenty people are breathing a sigh of relief that their flight safely made it back to London after a startling discovery made midair. Per a report released Friday, investigators with the UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch say an Airbus A321 took off on Oct. 4 from the British capital'...
In 1750s War Letters, Humanity
Shows the Same Stripes
Nov 7, 2023 9:30 AM CST
In 1750s War Letters, Humanity Shows the Same Stripes
Messages to distant French sailors feel 'very familiar,' despite the time gap
- In 1758, Marie Dubosc penned a letter to her husband, Louis Chambrelan, first lieutenant on the French warship Galatee. "I could spend the night writing to you," she wrote. "I am your forever faithful wife." Unfortunately for Dubosc, who would die the following year, the letter...
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
Oct 17, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
This time in London for protesting Big Oil in front of an energy conference
- Greta Thunberg was detained by British police on Tuesday alongside other climate activists who gathered outside a central London hotel to disrupt a major oil and gas industry conference. As the AP reports, Thunberg was among dozens of chanting protesters who sought to block access to the luxury InterContinental hotel...
'Horrified' London Theater
Nixes Spacey Film Premiere
Oct 16, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
'Horrified' London Theater Nixes Spacey Film Premiere
Prince Charles Cinema cancels world's first showing of 'Control' due to actor's involvement
- Kevin Spacey's face never makes a showing in the upcoming thriller
, but his voice does—and that was apparently enough for a London movie theater, which has now canceled its planned world premiere of the film due to Spacey's involvement. In July, the 64-year-old actor was found...
Big Tobacco Not
Thrilled With UK
PM's Latest Push
Oct 5, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Big Tobacco Not Thrilled With UK PM's Latest Push
Rishi Sunak's plan for progressively rising smoking age would effectively bar younger generation
- If you're a British middle schooler looking forward to the day when you can wander into a Tesco and legally pick up a pack of cigarettes, you have a long wait ahead—as in forever, if Rishi Sunak's plans come to fruition. Per the AP , the UK prime...
He's the First
Jailed for Treason
in the UK in 40 Years
Oct 5, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
He's the First Jailed for Treason in the UK in 40 Years
Jaswant Singh Chail, who sought to kill the queen, will remain in a hospital for now
- A young man who plotted to assassinate members of the British royal family as revenge for a century-old massacre by British troops was handed nine years in prison Tuesday in what the BBC reports is the UK's "first treason case for 40 years." A masked Jaswant Singh...
They Were Arrested at Sarah
Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Sep 14, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
They Were Arrested at Sarah Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Metropolitan Police to pay 'substantial damages' to 2 women who were mourning murdered UK woman
- Just days after the body of Sarah Everard, murdered by a police officer now serving a life sentence, was found in Kent, England, in March 2021, mourners were detained at a London vigil in her memory. Now, police there are apologizing for how two protesters in particular were treated, with...
Terror Suspect's 75-Hour
Jailbreak Has Ended
Sep 9, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Terror Suspect's 75-Hour Jailbreak Has Ended
Daniel Khalife, who broke out of London prison on Wednesday, was nabbed in west end of city
- Daniel Abed Khalife has been found. Local police say the 21-year-old terror suspect, who'd escaped from London's Wandsworth prison on Wednesday by apparently strapping himself to the bottom of a food delivery van, was arrested in the Chiswick section of the city around 11am local time on Saturday,...
On Anniversary of Death, King
Shares Unreleased Queen Pic
Sep 8, 2023 10:59 AM CDT
On Anniversary of Death, King Shares Unreleased Queen Pic
Charles III, Queen Camilla also held prayer service for Elizabeth II near Balmoral
- Friday marks one year since the death of Queen Elizabeth II , and the royal family has circulated a never-before-released portrait of the late monarch in commemoration. "We recall with great affection her long life, devoted service, and all she meant to so many of us," King Charles III...
UK Pushing Back Hard
on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Sep 6, 2023 7:59 AM CDT
UK Pushing Back Hard on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Nation wants to deem Prigozhin-less Wagner Group a terrorist organization
- Yevgeny Prigozhin may be out of the picture , but the Wagner Group is still causing leeriness around the globe—and the United Kingdom is now set to deem it a terrorist organization. "They are terrorists, plain and simple," Home Secretary Suella Braverman said Wednesday of the Russian mercenary...
Aug 3, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
Greenpeace Stages Sit-In on Rishi Sunak's Roof
Activists against oil drilling draped UK PM's country home in Richmond in black fabric
- Greenpeace demonstrators draped the country estate of British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in black fabric Thursday to protest his plan to expand oil and gas drilling in the North Sea. Video posted by the group showed a crew dressed in bright red jumpsuits, helmets, and safety harnesses carrying ladders and...
Was No Man
Jul 27, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Researchers: This Ancient Warrior Was No Man
Grave of female on UK island of Bryher suggests women had leading roles in warfare 2K years ago
- When archaeologists came across a a 2,000-year-old grave on an island off the coast of Britain in 1999, they were confused. Inside lay a sword and shield, typically buried with men, and a brooch and mirror, typically buried with women, reports the
. DNA testing failed to tell archaeologists...
In Days Before
She Died, Sinead
Jul 27, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
In Days Before She Died, Sinead Posted About Late Son
London cops say singer's death isn't suspicious; O'Connor remained distraught over death of teen
- A cause of death still hasn't been revealed for Irish singer Sinead O'Connor, who died Wednesday at age 56 in London, but cops there now say it wasn't a suspicious one, report the BBC and CNN . Per Metropolitan Police, O'Connor was found shortly before noon local...
Archbishop Takes Issue With
Key Word in 'Our Father' Prayer
in case you missed it
Jul 15, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
Archbishop Takes Issue With Key Word in 'Our Father' Prayer
Stephen Cottrell told Church of England's General Synod the word has 'patriarchal' leanings
- Christians worldwide who've committed the "Our Father" prayer to memory for 2,000 years would likely be thrown if the opening words—also the prayer's title—were suddenly altered. That tweak doesn't seem to be imminent, but eyebrows are raised after one of the Church of...
Cheap Vacation Trips in 1960s
May Be Taking a Toll Today
in case you missed it
Jul 15, 2023 7:15 AM CDT
Cheap Vacation Trips in 1960s May Be Taking a Toll Today
UK cancer group blames spike in skin cancer cases on long-ago boom in holiday excursions
- A cancer group in the UK is blaming a spike in skin cancer partly on an unusual factor: the popularity of cheap vacation trips back in the 1960s. Cancer Research UK reports that overall melanoma cases have reached a record-high 17,500 cases a year, reports the
. And the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.