Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Team Pushes Back at FIFA:
Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
Nov 23, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Team Pushes Back at FIFA: Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
German Football Association protests after armband ban at World Cup in anti-gay Qatar
- The captains of at least seven World Cup teams planned to wear rainbow armbands in support of LGBTQ+ rights during matches in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal , before FIFA threatened sanctions. Told the captains would receive yellow cards for the infraction or be removed from the field, per
Jun 26, 2022 10:04 AM CDT
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
Justice appears to be inviting legal cases that could undermine gay marriage, contraception
- When the Roe v. Wade decision came down, Clarence Thomas made headlines with a controversial separate opinion . He suggested the court, as it did with abortion, should examine the legal underpinnings of issues including same-sex marriage and the use of contraception. Thomas, part of the powerful new conservative majority on...
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to
a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Jun 20, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Clela Rorex issued first same-sex marriage licenses in 1975
- Clela Rorex, a former Colorado county clerk considered a pioneer in the gay rights movement for being the first public official to issue a same-sex marriage license in 1975, has died. She was 78. Rorex died Sunday of complications from recent surgery at a hospice care facility in Longmont, the...
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
Roommate Charged in
High-Profile Florida Murder
Apr 18, 2022 9:28 AM CDT
Roommate Charged in High-Profile Florida Murder
Jorge Diaz-Johnston, an LGBTQ activist, was murdered earlier this year
- Police have made an arrest in the murder of a high-profile figure in the LGBTQ community of Florida. Authorities say 36-year-old Steven Yinger strangled 54-year-old Jorge Diaz-Johnston of Tallahassee, whose body was found in a landfill in January, reports the
. Diaz-Johnston was one of the plaintiffs in a...
Plaintiff in Landmark Lawsuit
Is Running for Office
Jan 18, 2022 4:24 PM CST
Plaintiff in Landmark Lawsuit Is Running for Office
Jim Obergefell's case led to decision that legalized gay marriage in all 50 states
- The lead plaintiff in the case that legalized gay marriage nationwide is planning to follow up
Obergefell v. Hodges
with Obergefell v. Swearingen in a run for office in Ohio. Jim Obergefell, described by
as having "rock star status in LGBTQ communities," confirmed Tuesday that he...
Gay Icon Marlon Bundo,
Mike Pence's Bunny, Has Died
Jan 17, 2022 1:40 PM CST
Gay Icon Marlon Bundo, Mike Pence's Bunny, Has Died
John Oliver released a book about a 'very special boy bunny'
- One of the most famous rabbits in American political history has died, almost four years after he featured in two very different books. In 2018, Marlon Bundo was the main character in "
Marlon Bundo's A Day in the Life of the Vice President
" and other children's books...
Sep 4, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Thousands Demand Same-Sex Marriage
Only civil unions are legal in Switzerland now
- Tens of thousands protested in Switzerland on Saturday for the legalization of same-sex marriage in the Alpine country. The protests came ahead of a national referendum Sept. 26 on the legalization of gay marriage, which has already been introduced in European countries including Germany, Austria, France , and the Netherlands, the...
Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Jun 26, 2021 8:54 PM CDT
Introduces Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Nina's brother and his family showed up for family day
- There’s a new family on Sesame Street. Nina, a regular character, introduces her brother Dave on family day. Dave, his husband, Frank, and their daughter, Mia, all come to a party. It’s a very natural introduction, providing only the information a kid needs. Kids “just need to...
Supreme Court Unanimously
Backs Catholic Group
Jun 17, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
Supreme Court Unanimously Backs Catholic Group
Ruling says foster care organization has the right not to work with same-sex couples
- The Supreme Court issued a ruling in a case involving same-sex couples Thursday, but the votes didn't fall into a liberal-conservative split. This was one 9-0. The court ruled in favor of a Catholic foster care agency in Philadelphia that will not in principle work with LGBTQ couples, reports...
Biden Rolls Back Trump's
Transgender Health Care Rules
May 10, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Biden Rolls Back Trump's Transgender Health Care Rules
'Everyone ... should be able to access health care, free from discrimination or interference, period'
- The US will protect gay and transgender people against sex discrimination in health care, the Biden administration announced Monday, reversing a Trump-era policy that sought to narrow the scope of legal rights in sensitive situations involving medical care. The action by the Department of Health and Human Services affirms that...
Gay Couple Not Allowed
to Bring Newborn Twins Home
Apr 19, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
Gay Couple Not Allowed to Bring Newborn Twins Home
Namibia won't let girls into country, where their married fathers live
- A gay couple who lives in the African nation of Namibia saw their family expand to five with the birth of newborn twins via surrogate. One big problem: The girls aren't being allowed into the country, reports Reuters . On Monday, a Namibian court refused to let Phillip Luhl bring...
Poland Bars Gay
People From Adopting
Mar 11, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Poland Bars Gay People From Adopting
Nation is closing a loophole
- Poland is doubling down on its anti-gay policies despite pushback from the European Union. The government said Thursday that it would close a loophole and ensure that no gay people will be allowed to adopt a child, reports Reuters . Current Polish law prohibits gay couples from adopting, but some homosexuals...
A Film That Premiered Today
Holds Big Statement From Pope
Oct 21, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
A Film That Premiered Today Holds Big Statement From Pope
In it, Francis endorses same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope
- Pope Francis endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary
, which had its premiere at the Rome Film Festival on Wednesday. The papal thumbs-up came midway through the film that delves into issues Francis cares about most, including the environment,...
Fallout Continues From
Gorsuch's Surprise Ruling
Jun 16, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Fallout Continues From Gorsuch's Surprise Ruling
Trump appointee gives landmark victory to LGBTQ employees, and evangelicals are angry
- The Supreme Court's conservative bloc split along unusual lines Monday as the court delivered landmark workplace protections to transgender and gay employees . Trump appointee Neil Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion, which was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts. Their frequent allies—Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Brett Kavanaugh—dissented....
Supreme Court Delivers
Big Victory for Gay Rights
Jun 15, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers Big Victory for Gay Rights
Justices say LGBT people are protected from job discrimination
- The Supreme Court on Monday delivered a major victory to supporters of gay rights, reports the AP . In a 6-3 ruling, the justices decided that Title VII, a key provision of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, protects LGBTQ workers from being fired because of their sexual orientation. Coverage:
Mar 3, 2020 2:51 AM CST
Putin Wants Constitution to Ban Same-Sex Marriage
He proposes amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman
- Like George W. Bush before him, Vladimir Putin is supporting a constitutional amendment to define marriage as being between a man and a woman. Unlike the American leader, the Russian president is highly likely to see the amendment become the law of the land. Russian lawmakers said Monday that Putin'...
Pageant Winner Gets
Banned After Coming Out
Mar 1, 2020 12:00 PM CST
Pageant Winner Gets Banned After Coming Out
Madison L'Insalata calls it 'frustrating'
- Miss Staten Island 2020 Madison L'Insalata will take her marching skills elsewhere after the St. Patrick's Day parade banned her—apparently over her sexual persuasion. "This is definitely a curveball," L'Insalata tells the
New York Post
. "I was really looking forward to being there...
1st Miss Universe
Contestant Comes Out
Dec 8, 2019 4:00 PM CST
1st Miss Universe Contestant Comes Out
Swe Zin Htet is from Myanmar
- She's known to fans as "Superman," and not for nothing. Swe Zin Htet of Myanmar just became the first openly gay Miss Universe contestant at a time when same-sex relations are illegal in her home country,
reports. "I have that platform that, if I say...
Chick-fil-A Halts Donations
to 3 Christian Charities
Nov 19, 2019 3:06 AM CST
Chick-fil-A Halts Donations to 3 Christian Charities
Chain moves away from anti-gay marriage groups
- Chick-fil-A is ending donations to three groups that oppose gay marriage in an effort to halt protests and broaden its customer base. But the move has angered some of the fast food chain's fans. The Atlanta-based company said Monday that starting next year, it will focus its giving on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.