Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Navajo Nation Grapples
With Gay Marriage
Oct 28, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Navajo Nation Grapples With Gay Marriage
Sovereign tribe is debating whether to overturn its ban on same-sex unions
- Though same-sex marriage was legalized in the US in 2015, it's not the law of the land everywhere across the country. NBC News reports that Navajo Nation, which sets its own laws as a sovereign nation within the US, is grappling with a 2005 law passed by its council...
Colorado Court Takes On
Baker's Trans Cake Controversy
Oct 3, 2023 2:01 PM CDT
Colorado Court Takes On Baker's Trans Cake Controversy
Jack Phillips is again embroiled in a legal fight over LGBTQ issues
- On the heels of a US Supreme Court victory this summer for a graphic artist who didn't want to design wedding websites for same-sex couples, Colorado's highest court said Tuesday it will now hear the case of a Christian baker who refused to make a cake celebrating a...
One Line Explained Feinstein's
Role in Gay Rights
Sep 29, 2023 10:53 AM CDT
One Line Explained Feinstein's Role in Gay Rights
She 'doesn't care who you sleep with, as long as you're in bed by 11 o'clock," a gay ally once said
- Dianne Feinstein, who has died at the age of 90 , is being hailed as a trailblazer for women. She was, after all, the first female mayor of San Francisco before moving on to the US Senate, notes ABC News . But as Politico notes in a story headlined "The Dianne...
SCOTUS Backs Web Designer
Who Objects to Gay Marriage
Jun 30, 2023 9:23 AM CDT
SCOTUS Backs Web Designer Who Objects to Gay Marriage
Court says it's OK for her to refuse to work on same-sex weddings
- In a defeat for gay rights, the Supreme Court's conservative majority ruled Friday that a Christian graphic artist who wants to design wedding websites can refuse to work with same-sex couples, per the AP . The court ruled 6-3 for designer Lorie Smith despite a Colorado law that bars discrimination...
With Clock Running Out, a Slew
of Big SCOTUS Cases Loom
Jun 26, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
With Clock Running Out, a Slew of Big SCOTUS Cases Loom
Affirmative action and religious and gay rights are also on the agenda before this term closes
- The Supreme Court is getting ready to decide some of its biggest cases of the term. The high court has 10 opinions left to release over the next week before the justices begin their summer break. As is typical, the last opinions to be released cover some of the most...
FDA Has a New Rule for Gay,
Bisexual Blood Donors
May 12, 2023 9:27 AM CDT
FDA Has a New Rule for Gay, Bisexual Blood Donors
Gay, bisexual men in monogamous relationships can now donate without abstaining from sex
- Gay and bisexual men in monogamous relationships can give blood in the US without abstaining from sex under updated federal health guidelines that focus on donors' behavior, not their sexual orientation. The Food and Drug Administration guidelines finalized Thursday ease decades-old restrictions designed to protect the blood supply from HIV....
Making Beer for
Apr 21, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Brewery on Making Beer for 'Conservative Dad': Nope
Seth Weathers implied Illinois' Bent River Brewing was in on his 'Ultra Right' concoction; they say no
- While some conservatives are throwing away or boycotting their Bud Light and other Anheuser-Busch beverages to protest the former brand's promotion with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney, one has decided to cut out the middleman and create his own concoction. Seth Weathers' Ultra Right 100% Woke Free American Beer is...
Disney Has a Big
Surprise for DeSantis
Mar 30, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Disney Has a Big Surprise for DeSantis
Surprise language in 11th-hour deal effectively wrests power away from Florida governor's board
- Last month, Ron DeSantis declared himself the "new sheriff in town" at Disney World, after he hand-picked members for a board that oversees what was formerly known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the special tax district for Disney's Orlando-area theme parks. His move came amid a contentious...
Harsh LGBTQ News
Mar 22, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Uganda Has Harsh LGBTQ News
Gay offenses could result in prison time if bill is signed by president
- Ugandan lawmakers passed a bill prescribing prison terms for offenses related to same-sex relations, responding to popular sentiment but piling more pressure on the East African country's LGBTQ community. The bill was passed late Tuesday inside a packed parliamentary chamber after a roll call ordered by the House speaker,...
Disney Has Another
Throwdown for DeSantis
Mar 22, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Disney Has Another Throwdown for DeSantis
Company to host major LGBTQ conference in September
- Ron DeSantis' very public battle with Walt Disney World continues, now with another move by the latter to support LGBTQ rights. Disney World will be hosting a major summit from Sept. 11-14 to help boost lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender rights in the workplace, with execs and team members from...
Team Pushes Back at FIFA:
Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
Nov 23, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Team Pushes Back at FIFA: Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
German Football Association protests after armband ban at World Cup in anti-gay Qatar
- The captains of at least seven World Cup teams planned to wear rainbow armbands in support of LGBTQ+ rights during matches in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal , before FIFA threatened sanctions. Told the captains would receive yellow cards for the infraction or be removed from the field, per
Jun 26, 2022 10:04 AM CDT
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
Justice appears to be inviting legal cases that could undermine gay marriage, contraception
- When the Roe v. Wade decision came down, Clarence Thomas made headlines with a controversial separate opinion . He suggested the court, as it did with abortion, should examine the legal underpinnings of issues including same-sex marriage and the use of contraception. Thomas, part of the powerful new conservative majority on...
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to
a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Jun 20, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Clela Rorex issued first same-sex marriage licenses in 1975
- Clela Rorex, a former Colorado county clerk considered a pioneer in the gay rights movement for being the first public official to issue a same-sex marriage license in 1975, has died. She was 78. Rorex died Sunday of complications from recent surgery at a hospice care facility in Longmont, the...
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
Roommate Charged in
High-Profile Florida Murder
Apr 18, 2022 9:28 AM CDT
Roommate Charged in High-Profile Florida Murder
Jorge Diaz-Johnston, an LGBTQ activist, was murdered earlier this year
- Police have made an arrest in the murder of a high-profile figure in the LGBTQ community of Florida. Authorities say 36-year-old Steven Yinger strangled 54-year-old Jorge Diaz-Johnston of Tallahassee, whose body was found in a landfill in January, reports the
. Diaz-Johnston was one of the plaintiffs in a...
Plaintiff in Landmark Lawsuit
Is Running for Office
Jan 18, 2022 4:24 PM CST
Plaintiff in Landmark Lawsuit Is Running for Office
Jim Obergefell's case led to decision that legalized gay marriage in all 50 states
- The lead plaintiff in the case that legalized gay marriage nationwide is planning to follow up
Obergefell v. Hodges
with Obergefell v. Swearingen in a run for office in Ohio. Jim Obergefell, described by
as having "rock star status in LGBTQ communities," confirmed Tuesday that he...
Gay Icon Marlon Bundo,
Mike Pence's Bunny, Has Died
Jan 17, 2022 1:40 PM CST
Gay Icon Marlon Bundo, Mike Pence's Bunny, Has Died
John Oliver released a book about a 'very special boy bunny'
- One of the most famous rabbits in American political history has died, almost four years after he featured in two very different books. In 2018, Marlon Bundo was the main character in "
Marlon Bundo's A Day in the Life of the Vice President
" and other children's books...
Sep 4, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Thousands Demand Same-Sex Marriage
Only civil unions are legal in Switzerland now
- Tens of thousands protested in Switzerland on Saturday for the legalization of same-sex marriage in the Alpine country. The protests came ahead of a national referendum Sept. 26 on the legalization of gay marriage, which has already been introduced in European countries including Germany, Austria, France , and the Netherlands, the...
Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Jun 26, 2021 8:54 PM CDT
Introduces Gay Dads and Their Daughter
Nina's brother and his family showed up for family day
- There’s a new family on Sesame Street. Nina, a regular character, introduces her brother Dave on family day. Dave, his husband, Frank, and their daughter, Mia, all come to a party. It’s a very natural introduction, providing only the information a kid needs. Kids “just need to...
Supreme Court Unanimously
Backs Catholic Group
Jun 17, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
Supreme Court Unanimously Backs Catholic Group
Ruling says foster care organization has the right not to work with same-sex couples
- The Supreme Court issued a ruling in a case involving same-sex couples Thursday, but the votes didn't fall into a liberal-conservative split. This was one 9-0. The court ruled in favor of a Catholic foster care agency in Philadelphia that will not in principle work with LGBTQ couples, reports...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.