Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Your 2022 Grocery Bill
Isn't Looking Pretty
Dec 27, 2021 3:23 PM CST
Your 2022 Grocery Bill Isn't Looking Pretty
Prices of just about everything expected to keep rising
- Red-hot inflation has been showing up in tangible form in everyone's grocery bills throughout 2021. Is there relief on the horizon in the new year? Not so much. The
Wall Street Journal
surveyed several major food manufacturers and finds that prices for just about everything will keep rising....
Food Prices May Spike Again,
Thanks to a New Shortage
Nov 28, 2021 6:15 AM CST
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Nitrogen fertilizer is in short supply
- Farmers have no shortages of things to worry about, and Reuters reports that a major new concern has joined the list this year: Nitrogen fertilizer is in short supply, and its cost is skyrocketing as a result. This could not only translate into higher prices in everything from bread to...
Got Milk Controversy?
Nov 5, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Got Milk Controversy? CNN Does
A Texas family's milk consumption was featured in a news segment on inflation; backlash followed
- The US economy continues to be a hot topic, especially as we head toward another winter still wrangling with COVID, and a CNN report this week tried to get to the heart of "how badly inflation is hitting the middle class." The five-minute segment intro'd by commentator...
This Might Be the Most
Expensive Thanksgiving Ever
Oct 26, 2021 2:47 PM CDT
This Might Be the Most Expensive Thanksgiving Ever
Supply issues, labor shortages are driving up prices of many ingredients
- The American Farm Bureau says the average cost of preparing a Thanksgiving dinner fell to its lowest level in a decade last year—but 2021 is a very different story. Price hikes on numerous items for a variety of reasons are set to make this year's Thanksgiving feast the...
Better Open Up Your
Wallet for That BLT
Sep 30, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Better Open Up Your Wallet for That BLT
Bacon prices are the highest they've been in 4 decades
- Not since the Reagan years will a side of bacon set you back as much as it does now. CNN reports that the price of the breakfast staple is the highest it's been in four decades when adjusted for inflation, with the average cost rising close to 30% over...
North Korea Giving Its People
Rice Reserved for Wartime Use
Aug 4, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
North Korea Giving Its People Rice Reserved for Wartime Use
So says South Korea’s spy agency
- North Korea is releasing emergency military rice reserves as its food shortage worsens, South Korea’s spy agency said Tuesday, with a heat wave and drought reducing the country’s supply. North Korea’s reported food problems come as its moribund economy continues to be battered by the protracted COVID-19...
Find Shopping Stressful?
Now, a Historic Price Hike
May 30, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Find Shopping Stressful? Now, a Historic Price Hike
Food-price fluctuations began in March, when the coronavirus really sunk in
- As if trips to the grocery store weren’t nerve-wracking enough, US shoppers lately have seen the costs of meat, eggs, and even potatoes soar as the coronavirus has disrupted processing plants and distribution networks, the AP reports. Overall, the cost of food bought to eat at home skyrocketed by...
Sticker Shock at the
Supermarket? You're Not Alone
May 13, 2020 7:32 AM CDT
Sticker Shock at the Supermarket? You're Not Alone
Price of groceries just saw record-setting spike due to coronavirus pandemic
- With most Americans sheltering at home as they wait out the coronavirus pandemic, you may have noticed that while your eating-out tab has gone down, your supermarket bill has gone up. It's not in your head: The monthly consumer price index has been released by the Bureau of Labor...
Asparagus Prices Reflect
Out-of-Whack Food Chain
Apr 14, 2020 11:46 AM CDT
Asparagus Prices Reflect Out-of-Whack Food Chain
Quartz: Veggie is cheap in the US because Mexico must send it here amid virus outbreak
- Dairy farmers dumping milk is just one sign of an out-of-sync food chain. Another is the low price of asparagus in the US, writes Chase Purdy at Quartz . The veggie generally sold for $3 a pound in early January, but the price dropped to $2 early this month. A...
Under Amazon, This Item Is
43% Cheaper at Whole Foods
Aug 28, 2017 11:57 AM CDT
Under Amazon, This Item Is 43% Cheaper at Whole Foods
Eating an organic apple a day won't cost so much now
- Under Amazon, "Whole Paycheck" may need to be updated as "Most-but-Not-All-of-My Paycheck." Amazon on Monday finalized its $13.7 billion takeover of the grocer, and Bloomberg reports new orange signs marked "Whole Foods + Amazon" now appear throughout the grocery store and herald the new prices...
Why the Price of Ice Cream, Mayonnaise Could Jump
May 15, 2015 7:00 AM CDT
Why the Price of Ice Cream, Mayonnaise Could Jump
Liquid egg shortage due to bird flu will affect dozens of food items
- The worst outbreak of bird flu in US history is leaving farmers with huge piles of dead chickens and turkeys to get rid of—and leaving consumers with less money in their pockets. It's not just cartons of eggs that have gone up in price with the deaths of...
If Sushi Prices Go Up,
Blame Calif. Drought
Sep 16, 2014 6:04 AM CDT
If Sushi Prices Go Up, Blame Calif. Drought
State's specialty rice crop down 25% over lack of water
- Extreme drought conditions in California have caused residents to face government fines , paint their lawns , and stress about their beloved giant sequoias . Now the whole country might be joining in the state's water woes: Production of the special rice used in sushi, grown mainly in California, is set to...
New Luxury Item:
in case you missed it
Sep 6, 2014 3:32 PM CDT
New Luxury Item: Butter?
Price hits all-time high amid surge in demand
- Will American shoppers soon be saying, "I can't believe I can't afford butter?" Butter prices hit a record high on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange this week, and with the levels of the stuff in storage down 42% over this time last year, "Americans are about to...
US Prices Soar
Apr 9, 2014 12:25 PM CDT
Where's the (Cheap) Beef? US Prices Soar
Cattle population at 1951 levels
- Another downside of weird weather: Beef prices have hit a record high. "All-fresh" USDA choice-grade beef had a retail value of $5.28 a pound in February; the year before, it was $4.28. A few years before that, in 2008, it was just $3.97. At about 87....
Pig Virus May Send
Bacon Prices Soaring
Jan 11, 2014 11:02 AM CST
Pig Virus May Send Bacon Prices Soaring
'PED' expected to raise cost of pork in coming months
- Bacon lovers, be warned. A fast-spreading pig virus could send pork prices to record highs in the US, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The PED virus, short for porcine epidemic diarrhea virus, has hit farms in 22 states so far. It's lethal only to young pigs, not humans, but...
Dinner Costs a Little Less
Nov 27, 2013 3:40 PM CST
Dinner Costs a Little Less This Thanksgiving
Turkey and all the trimmings runs $49.04, 44 cents less than last year
- Thanksgiving dinner will cost you a little less this year—44 cents less to be exact—according to a 34-state survey from the American Farm Bureau Federation, picked up by Business Insider . A 10-person feast with turkey and all the trimmings—including stuffing, sweet potatoes, rolls, veggies, cranberries, and pumpkin...
Just for You
Aug 10, 2012 2:41 PM CDT
Supermarkets Cut Prices— Just for You
Marketers gather heaps of data on individuals, tailor coupons to them
- The food shopping of the future could look a lot more like buying airline tickets: You might not be paying the same price as the person next to you. That's because Safeway and Kroger—and likely soon other supermarkets—are tailoring personal prices based on your purchase history, reports...
Food Prices Could
Jump 4% in 2013
Jul 26, 2012 3:02 AM CDT
Food Prices Could Jump 4% in 2013
And losses could hit $12B
- For the average consumer, the effects of this year's brutal drought are still months away, but they are coming, as many food prices next year are expected to jump by as much as 4%, reports Reuters . Already corn and soy prices are going up , which is expected to lead...
Record Corn Harvest
Could Sink Food Prices
May 10, 2012 3:40 PM CDT
Record Corn Harvest Could Sink Food Prices
Agriculture officials predict a bumper crop this year
- Consumers could see some relief from higher food prices by late fall, if the latest government crop forecast holds up. The US Agriculture Department predicted today that corn production will total 14.8 billion bushels, with a record yield of 166 bushels per acre. That compares with 12.4 billion...
Is ... Luanda?
Feb 2, 2012 6:18 PM CST
World's Most Expensive City Is ... Luanda?
Civil war has led to staggering prices in Angola's capital
- If you thought the most expensive city in the world was someplace like London or New York, wait until you get a load of the prices in Luanda, Angola. A house will set you back $10,000 a month, a hotel room $400 a night, and an SUV rental $200...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Midshipmen Take Prank Tradition to New Heights
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.