Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Inflation Is a Big Worry
for Black Friday Shoppers
Nov 25, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Inflation Is a Big Worry for Black Friday Shoppers
People are more reluctant to spend big this year
- Black Friday marks a return to familiar holiday shopping patterns, but inflation is weighing on consumers. Elevated prices for food, rent, gasoline, and other household costs have taken a toll on shoppers. As a result, many are reluctant to spend unless there is a big sale and are being more...
Amazon Is Doubling Down
on Prime Day
Sep 26, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Amazon Is Doubling Down on Prime Day
There'll be another sale next month, the first time company has had 2 in one calendar year
- If one Amazon Prime Day in 2022 wasn't enough for you, you're in luck: On the heels of its annual summer sale exclusively for Prime members, Amazon is hosting another one next month. The 48-hour preholiday event, called the "Prime Early Access Sale," will take place...
Gap Resort to
'Pack and Hold'
Aug 31, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Teeming With Inventory, Kohl's, Gap Resort to 'Pack and Hold'
Clothing retailers are tapping into unusual strategies amid an inventory glut
- As summer tilts toward autumn, major clothing retailers have found themselves with a massive glut of inventory, forcing many chains to make tough choices. Per CNN, discounts and promotions are the usual strategies for clearing excess goods, but that's not good enough for Kohl's and the Gap. Both...
On This Prime Day, 'Pain
Is Considerable' for Amazon
Jul 12, 2022 5:50 AM CDT
On This Prime Day, 'Pain Is Considerable' for Amazon
One of company's biggest annual events comes amid excess costs, sluggish online sales growth
- Amazon is heading into its annual Prime Day on Tuesday much differently than how it entered the pandemic. The company has long used the two-day event—one of its biggest all year—to lure people to its $139 Prime membership. Amazon doesn't disclose total Prime Day sales, though growth...
It's a Banner Day
for Economy So Far
Apr 15, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
It's a Banner Day for Economy So Far
Retails sales surge, jobless claims reach pandemic low, and stocks reach record highs
- Thursday is starting out as a strong day for the economy:
Retail spending surged almost 10% in March thanks to factors including stimulus checks to households, warmer weather, and an increased reopening of businesses, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The spike, detailed in a new Commerce Department report, follows
Kamala Harris Gives Jolt
to a Certain Sneaker
Feb 2, 2021 1:15 PM CST
Kamala Harris Gives Jolt to a Certain Sneaker
Sales of Converse's Chuck Taylors spike after vice president wears them
- Supporters of Kamala Harris appear to have helped boost sales of the vice president's favorite pair of shoes. Women across the country vowed to wear Converse sneakers —specifically the Chuck Taylor versions Harris loves so much—and/or pearls for Inauguration Day, in honor of the nation's first...
For Crocs, a 'Bittersweet
Moment' Amid the Pandemic
Jan 12, 2021 12:54 PM CST
For Crocs, a 'Bittersweet Moment' Amid the Pandemic
Consumers scooped up famous, easy-to-clean clogs in record sales year
- For many retailers, 2020 was a catastrophe due to the coronavirus pandemic. For the Crocs footwear brand, it was a "bittersweet moment," per CNN Business . The sweet part: Last year was a record one in terms of sales, and the company on Monday increased its Q4 year-over-year revenue...
Dec 26, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Online Sales Rise Most This Season
Holiday spending increases modestly overall
- Holiday shoppers spent more this year than last, though the totals were still below what had been forecast by the retail industry. Mastercard SpendingPulse said Saturday that sales were up 2.4% between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24 over the same stretch last year, the
Wall Street Journal
Black Friday Crowds Will
Be Much Smaller This Year
Nov 27, 2020 4:50 AM CST
Black Friday Crowds Will Be Much Smaller This Year
But it's still a beacon of hope for struggling stores
- After months of slumping sales and businesses toppling into bankruptcy, Black Friday is offering a small beacon of hope. In normal times, Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year, drawing millions of shoppers eager to get started on their holiday spending. But these are not normal times:...
Sweater Made Famous by
Princess Di Is On Sale Again
Nov 16, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Sweater Made Famous by Princess Di Is On Sale Again
'Black sheep' crewneck is being reissued by designers Warm and Wonderful
- Princess Diana's attire was often the subject of tabloid reviews, but what she wore to one particular polo match in 1980 attracted special attention. It was a red wool crewneck sweater designed by Warm and Wonderful, with white sheep scattered across it—except for one black sheep located four...
'Exhausted' Retailers See Some
Record-Setting Good News
Jun 16, 2020 8:37 AM CDT
'Exhausted' Retailers See Some Record-Setting Good News
US retail sales jumped 17.7% from April to May, but retailers aren't out of the woods yet
- US retail sales jumped by a record 17.7% from April to May, with spending partially rebounding after the coronavirus had shut down businesses, flattened the economy, and paralyzed consumers during the previous two months. The Commerce Department's report Tuesday showed retail sales have retraced some of the record-setting...
Ikea's Main Franchisee
Prepares for Baby Boom
Apr 21, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Ikea's Main Franchisee Prepares for Baby Boom
Ingka aims to reopen European stores in May
- Ikea's main franchisee has reopened all but one of its stores in China, and next month it plans to welcome crowds back to its European stores, too. Ingka Group—the world's largest furniture retailer, operating 420 Ikea stores around the world—aims to reopen stores in Europe in...
We Just Saw
Plummet in Retail Sales
Apr 15, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
We Just Saw an Unprecedented Plummet in Retail Sales
They were down 8.7% in March, and the reality is likely worse
- US retail sales plummeted 8.7% in March, an unprecedented decline that came as the viral outbreak forced an almost complete lockdown of commerce nationwide. The deterioration of sales far outpaced the previous record decline of 3.9% that took place during the depths of the Great Recession in November...
Greeting Card Chain Folds
Jan 22, 2020 8:03 AM CST
Greeting Card Chain Folds
Papyrus is closing all 254 stores
- Last year was a tough one for the retail industry and 2020 isn't looking much better. The owner of greeting card and stationery chain Papyrus says that after "Herculean efforts" to make its stores "fit today's retail environment," it is calling it quits,
It's 'Block Friday'
in This Country
Nov 29, 2019 10:29 AM CST
It's 'Block Friday' in This Country
French lawmakers, activists worry about overconsumption
- More than 200 brands are boycotting Black Friday in France this year. But come next year, there might not be a Black Friday in the country at all. A French legislative committee on Monday approved an amendment to an anti-waste bill that proposes to ban Black Friday and other "...
This Is the Shortest Holiday
Shopping Season Since 2013
Nov 29, 2019 6:20 AM CST
This Is the Shortest Holiday Shopping Season Since 2013
More intense scramble predicted
- The mad scramble between Thanksgiving and Christmas just got six days shorter. Black Friday once again kicks off the start of the holiday shopping season. But with six fewer days than last year, it will be the shortest season since 2013 because Thanksgiving fell on the 28th—the latest possible...
H&M Struggles With
Mountain of Unsold Clothes
Mar 28, 2018 7:06 AM CDT
H&M Struggles With Mountain of Unsold Clothes
Profits are way down; unsold inventory is way up
- H&M says it is struggling with shrinking profits and a massive, ever-growing pile of unsold clothes. The fashion retailer, full name Hennes and Mauritz AB, is sitting on a $4.3 billion mountain of unsold inventory that has grown by 7% over the last year as shopping habits change,...
Sears Corp. Is
Closing 63 Stores
Nov 4, 2017 6:42 AM CDT
Sears Corp. Is Closing 63 Stores
The 'holiday blowout' has started early
- Sears Holdings Corp. says it will be closing another 63 stores as the ailing retailer tries to turn around its business. The Illinois-based company, struggling to keep up with its rivals, said it will shutter 45 Kmart stores and 18 Sears stores in late January, the AP reports. Liquidation sales...
How to Dominate
Amazon's 30-Hour Prime Day
Jul 10, 2017 11:46 AM CDT
How to Dominate Amazon's 30-Hour Prime Day
One tip: Bookmark CamelCamelCamel.com
- Will the third time be the charm for Amazon? Its now-slightly-misnomered Prime Day (it's actually 30 hours long, not 24, this year) kicks off at 9pm EDT Monday. Its inaugural sale in 2015 didn't blow consumers over ; in 2016 there were early-morning website issues for some customers. This...
The Limited's Stores
Just Got Eliminated
Jan 8, 2017 7:20 AM CST
The Limited's Stores Just Got Eliminated
Mall icon closes doors on all its brick and mortar stores
- The Limited is a mall staple no longer, abruptly announcing that all its remaining 250 locations would close Sunday, reports the
Washington Post ,
resulting in about 4,000 job losses. Per a statement on the retailer's website: "We're sad to say that all The Limited stores nationwide...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
National Prayer Breakast Splinters
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.