Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report Card Is Out.
One Party Got Mostly F's
Sep 23, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
NRA's Congressional Report Card Is Out. One Party Got Mostly F's
For first time in 25 years, not a single Dem candidate received an A from gun rights group
- It's not terribly surprising that Democrats running for Congress this year received a dismal report card from the National Rifle Association, as they tend to be much more critical of the gun rights advocacy organization than their Republican counterparts. What makes this year's candidate ratings from the NRA'...
Speech at NRA Meeting
Appears to Confuse Its CEO
May 31, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Speech at NRA Meeting Appears to Confuse Its CEO
Homage to Wayne LaPierre's 'thoughts and prayers' was the work of prankster Jason Selvig
- A man who appeared to defend National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre at the group's annual meeting this weekend, just days after a mass shooting at a Texas elementary school killed 21 people, was doing anything but. Jason Selvig, one half of comedy duo The Good Liars, took the...
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other
No-Shows at NRA Meeting
May 28, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
'Unlike some, I did not disappoint you,' Trump told crowd gathered in Houston on Friday
- The NRA's Houston convention went on as planned Friday, despite protests due to the deadly mass shooting on Tuesday across the state in Uvalde. And although some big names pulled out of the gun rights advocacy group's annual meeting in the 11th hour, former President Donald Trump wasn'...
Texas Governor Pulls Out
of NRA Convention
May 27, 2022 6:22 AM CDT
Texas Governor Pulls Out of NRA Convention
Abbott plans to hold press conference in Uvalde instead
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott won't be appearing at the National Rifle Association convention in Houston on Friday after all, a spokesman has confirmed. The Republican governor, who was heavily criticized for his plan to speak at the convention just days after the deadliest school shooting in state history, will...
Has Now Pulled Out
of NRA Concert
May 27, 2022 12:09 AM CDT
Almost Everyone Has Now Pulled Out of NRA Concert
Following Don McLean pulling out, others do the same
Nearly all of the musicians previously set to perform at the NRA's Saturday night concert in Houston have exited. Lee Greenwood, Larry Gatlin, T. Graham Brown, and Larry Stewart have all pulled out of performing, and SiriusXM's Y2Kountry host Danielle Peck is also out. Sources tell Billboard...
NPR Obtains Tapes of NRA
Discussions After Columbine
Nov 9, 2021 1:32 PM CST
NPR Obtains Tapes of NRA Discussions After Columbine
Top officials wrestle with whether to respond with defiance or sympathy
- School shootings were relatively rare when the Columbine massacre unfolded in 1999, and NPR has obtained two-plus hours of recordings of NRA officials struggling to decide how to respond. The issue was especially dicey because the group's convention was due to take place days later just a few miles...
Out of Their
Jul 31, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
LaPierres Made Stools Out of Their Elephant Kills
'New Yorker' and Trace detail the under-wraps shipments from 2013 safari hunt
- Earlier this year, the
and the Trace unearthed video of NRA exec Wayne LaPierre and wife Susan hunting elephants in Botswana back in 2013. Now comes a follow-up from both outlets on the logistics of what happened next—specifically, how the LaPierres wanted their kills preserved as trophies...
Former NRA Chief Tricked
Into Addressing 'Lost Class'
Jun 24, 2021 9:38 AM CDT
Former NRA Chief Tricked Into Addressing 'Lost Class'
He delivered commencement speech to chairs representing victims of gun violence
- The words of former NRA president David Keene and gun rights activist John Lott echoed over a sea of empty white chairs at a stadium in Las Vegas earlier this month. The men, who thought they were rehearsing graduation speeches to deliver to students at the private online high school...
Judge Shoots Down
May 11, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
Judge Shoots Down NRA Bankruptcy
He accuses 'solvent' group of trying to use filing to dodge New York lawsuit
- The National Rifle Association's attempt to use bankruptcy to leave New York and reorganize in Texas was shot down by a federal judge in Dallas Tuesday. US Bankruptcy Judge Harlin Hale, ruling after a 12-day trial that concluded May 3, said the gun rights group's bankruptcy wasn't...
by NRA's Chief
Apr 28, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
Video Emerges of 'Inept' Elephant Hunt by NRA's Chief
One critic calls shooting by Wayne LaPierre 'inept' and 'clumsy'
- A video shot for an NRA-sponsored TV series was hidden from the world for nearly eight years—until now. The footage, obtained by the
and the Trace , shows CEO Wayne LaPierre and his wife, Susan, shooting two savanna elephants in Botswana in September 2013. (The elephants have since...
on Hiding After
God I'm Safe'
Apr 7, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
NRA's LaPierre on Hiding After Shootings: 'Thank God I'm Safe'
In deposition, Wayne LaPierre says he was in danger after school shootings, forcing him onto yacht
- The National Rifle Association is trying to get a federal court in Texas to grant it bankruptcy protections, and so far, some "embarrassing details" have trickled out in various depositions, per the
. A new deposition filed over the weekend, however, revealed more than just the organization's...
On Its Way to Texas, NRA
Files for Bankruptcy Protection
Jan 15, 2021 4:35 PM CST
On Its Way to Texas, NRA Files for Bankruptcy Protection
New York is seeking to break up the organization
- The National Rifle Association asked a federal court for bankruptcy protection from its creditors on Friday, saying it plans to restructure as a nonprofit in Texas. The organization now is registered in New York, Reuters reports. In a statement, the NRA said it's leaving "a corrupt political and...
Nov 25, 2020 4:45 PM CST
After Years of Denials, the NRA Fesses Up
Current and former executives have been abusing funds, the nonprofit says
- Looks like NRA execs really have been taking from the cookie jar. After years of denials, the National Rifle Association now admits that current and former executives—including current CEO Wayne LaPierre—recklessly used NRA funds for their personal enrichment, the
reports. According to a 2019 tax filing,...
Former No. 2 at NRA
Issues Scathing Critique
Sep 3, 2020 7:46 PM CDT
Former No. 2 at NRA Issues Scathing Critique
In new book, Joshua Powell backs red-flag laws and background checks
- The NRA is more concerned with money than defending the Second Amendment and is run by an executive who's clueless—except for his ability to manipulate President Trump. That's the picture of the gun rights organization painted in a new book by Joshua Powell, the NRA's No....
Trump Has Advice for NRA
After Big Lawsuit
Aug 6, 2020 4:07 PM CDT
Trump Has Advice for NRA After Big Lawsuit
Move to Texas, he suggests
- As its future began to look even more litigious Thursday, President Trump had a suggestion for the National Rifle Association. "I think the NRA should move to Texas and lead a very good and beautiful life," he said. "And I've told them that for a long...
New York Sues
to Dissolve the NRA
Aug 6, 2020 10:47 AM CDT
New York Sues to Dissolve the NRA
State attorney general Letitia James alleges widespread fraud
- New York's attorney general filed a lawsuit Thursday that calls for the dissolution of the NRA. Letitia James sued the National Rifle Association, seeking to put the powerful gun advocacy organization out of business over allegations that high-ranking executives diverted millions of dollars for lavish personal trips, no-show contracts...
Before Burying Sergeant,
Chief Slams Senators, NRA
Dec 10, 2019 3:12 AM CST
Before Burying Sergeant, Chief Slams Senators, NRA
Houston's top cop blasts Cruz, Cornyn for stalling Violence Against Women Act
- Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo laid into the National Rifle Association and Texas politicians Monday, minutes before he escorted the body of a slain officer from the medical examiner's office to a funeral home. Sgt. Christopher Brewster, 32, was shot Saturday after responding to a call about a domestic...
Butina's Next Stop: Russia
Oct 25, 2019 2:53 PM CDT
Butina's Next Stop: Russia
Russian operative will be deported after being freed from prison
- Maria Butina, the Russian who pleaded guilty to conspiring to act as a clandestine foreign agent by making connections with the Trump administration, NRA, and other conservative heavy-hitters, has been freed from federal prison. She was turned over to US Immigration and Customs Enforcement for deportation Friday, NPR reports. Butina...
: NRA Chief
Told Trump to
'Stop the Games'
on Gun Laws
Sep 28, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
: NRA Chief Told Trump to 'Stop the Games' on Gun Laws
NRA confirms meeting took place, denies Wayne LaPierre offered 'special arrangements' to Trump
- A scathing Senate report claiming the National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia wasn't the only headline the gun lobby group ended up in this week. The
New York Times
reports that NRA chief Wayne LaPierre met with President Trump on Friday at the White...
Senate Report Calls NRA
a Russian Asset for Election
Sep 27, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Senate Report Calls NRA a Russian Asset for Election
Democratic investigation finds group might have broken tax laws
- A Democratic senator charges in a new report that the National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia in the run-up to the 2016 election, and that NRA insiders provided access to the American political system to advance personal business interests. The report by Oregon Sen. Ron...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.