Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Single-Use Coffee Pods
May Be Better Than You Think
Jan 19, 2023 12:40 PM CST
Single-Use Coffee Pods May Be Better Than You Think
Making a cup with them has a smaller carbon footprint than using a coffee pot, say researchers
- When it comes to coffee-making, single-use pods get a bad rap, at least when it comes to the environment. A new study might change that. Canadian researchers have found that the traditional method of brewing coffee in a pot generally has a larger carbon footprint that using a pod, reports...
Starbucks Closing Up Shop
May 23, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
Starbucks Closing Up Shop Throughout Russia
Chain follows lead of McDonald's to permanently exit
- Russians already lost their Big Macs . Now, Starbucks is going, too. The coffee chain said Monday it's following the lead of McDonald's and other Western businesses and will exit Russia after 15 years to protest the invasion of Ukraine, reports NPR . The coffee chain will close its 130...
A Terrible Year for
Coffee Just Got Worse
Aug 30, 2021 9:21 AM CDT
A Terrible Year for Coffee Just Got Worse
COVID-related restrictions in 2nd-biggest grower, Vietnam, add to supply problems
- This has been a worrisome year for those in the coffee business because of a double whammy—first drought, then frost—in Brazil, the world's biggest grower. That has put more pressure on the world's second-biggest grower, Vietnam, to pick up the slack, but now Bloomberg reports on...
Your Cup of Coffee
May Have an
Aug 14, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Your Cup of Coffee May Have an Unpleasant Origin Story
'NYT Magazine' explains how small, illegal farms are shrinking a jungle in Indonesia
- When you're pouring a cup of coffee, whether humble drip or some more exotic concoction, it's a safe bet you don't spend much time wondering exactly where those beans come from. As Wyatt Williams writes for the
New York Times Magazine
, coffee behemoths like it that way....
We're in a Perpetual 'Altered
State,' Thanks to Caffeine
in case you missed it
Jul 10, 2021 7:03 PM CDT
We're in a Perpetual 'Altered State,' Thanks to Caffeine
Author Michael Pollan explores our history and relationship with this 'invisible addiction'
- When author Michael Pollan decided to tackle the subject of psychoactive drugs—specifically, opium, mescaline, and caffeine—for his new book,
This Is Your Mind On Plants
, he consumed the first two in the name of experimental journalism. But he actually
using caffeine, just to see what would happen,...
This Fungus Kills Off Coffee.
Scientists Just Woke It Up
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2021 7:55 AM CDT
This Fungus Kills Off Coffee. Scientists Just Woke It Up
Researchers wanted to see how Fusarium xylarioides functions to prevent future outbreaks
- Enjoy a steaming mug of Arabica or robusta in the morning? Give a high-five, then, to the scientists that have "reanimated" a fungus that kills off those varieties of coffee trees. It may sound counterintuitive, but researchers from Imperial College London have done just that, resurrecting cryogenically frozen samples...
Next Entry in Unconventional
Food: Coffee-Less Coffee
May 16, 2021 1:31 PM CDT
Next Entry in Unconventional Food: Coffee-Less Coffee
Atomo startup in Seattle uses seeds and nuts and a chemical process
- You can eat "meat" made from plants and drink "milk" made from nuts, but are you ready for coffee made without coffee? That's the question posed by a story in Bloomberg about a Seattle startup producing just such a brew. The concoction by Atomo Coffee is made...
an 'Act of War'
Apr 24, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
In Italy, an 'Act of War' Over Espresso
A bid for UN acknowledgement is foiled by a feud between north and south
- Coffee is serious business in Italy, and espresso in particular. Drinking it "is a way of life," per a post at euronews . No big surprise, then, that the nation is seeking to have its espresso tradition enshrined as a unique cultural treasure by a UN agency. But as...
Starbucks Makes Big Move
Toward a New 'Vision'
Jun 11, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Starbucks Makes Big Move Toward a New 'Vision'
Company to close 400 stores to focus on takeout-only locations
- Starbucks is shifting away from its famous cafe experience in a change only partly inspired by the coronavirus pandemic. The coffee company tells CNN that it was reevaluating its coffee-selling model before the pandemic, as about 80% of transactions at its 15,000 US stores are "on-the-go" purchases. As...
Don't Make Coffee This Way
if You Have High Cholesterol
in case you missed it
Apr 26, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Don't Make Coffee This Way if You Have High Cholesterol
Researchers say filtered coffee fares better for longevity than boiled or press-style varieties
- A Swedish study billing itself as the first to look at the tie between the way we brew our coffee and the risk of heart attacks and premature death says one type of brewing method appears healthier than the rest. The research published in the
European Journal of Preventive Cardiology
Made a Change
It Hopes You
Mar 9, 2020 9:29 AM CDT
Starbucks Just Made a Change It Hopes You Don't Notice
Company is testing greener coffee cup with biodegradable liner
- Starbucks' paper coffee cups aren't as easy to recycle as you may think. That's because it's challenging to separate the outer paper part from the thin plastic liner used on the inside to keep any hot beverage from seeping through. The chain hopes to change all of...
Clooney Reacts to
Child Labor Exposé
Feb 26, 2020 5:28 PM CST
Clooney Reacts to Nespresso-Linked Child Labor Exposé
'Clearly this board and this company still have work to do. And that work will be done'
- George Clooney has been Nespresso's brand ambassador since 2006, but after an investigation claimed to find six of the company's Guatemalan coffee suppliers use child labor, the actor is expressing regret. Per Deadline
and CNN , he says he joined Nespresso's sustainability advisory board seven years ago (along...
Starbucks Barista Prints
Nasty Word on Cop's Coffee
Nov 30, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Starbucks Barista Prints Nasty Word on Cop's Coffee
Oklahoma Police Chief Johnny O'Mara did not hold back
- An Oklahoma police officer was picking up Starbucks coffees on Thanksgiving and noticed a word on the label: "PIG." And it didn't end there. "This is what he gets for being nice," Kiefer Police Chief Johnny O'Mara wrote on Facebook , saying the coffees were...
The 'Willy Wonka's of
Coffee' Is Now Open
Nov 15, 2019 8:31 AM CST
The 'Willy Wonka's of Coffee' Is Now Open
Starbucks opens its biggest store ever in Chicago on Friday
- An "immersive, theatrical experience" is opening in Chicago on Friday, but it's not a Broadway show or some performance-art piece, unless you consider swirling milk foam on a venti latte particularly artistic. The world's largest Starbucks—or what
calls something "between a shrine to...
Uber Employees Are Now
Served Lowly Starbucks
Sep 30, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Uber Employees Are Now Served Lowly Starbucks
They used to get craft coffee
- Uber's struggles have now hit its employees' coffee mugs. That's according to the
, which takes a look at how Uber's floundering since its May IPO—its stock price is down more than 25%, and Business Insider notes its market value sank Friday below GM's...
Found Dead in River
Jul 31, 2019 2:44 AM CDT
Founder of India's 'Starbucks' Found Dead in River
VG Siddhartha disappeared near bridge
- Fishermen found the body of an Indian coffee shop chain owner in a river on Wednesday, two days after he disappeared , police said. The body of Cafe Coffee Day founder VG Siddhartha has been identified, police Commissioner Sandeep Patel said. He didn't give other details. An autopsy was being...
Man Who Founded India's
Top Coffee Chain Is Missing
Jul 30, 2019 2:22 PM CDT
Man Who Founded India's Top Coffee Chain Is Missing
VG Siddhartha was last seen on a bridge Monday night
- Café Coffee Day is to India what Starbucks is to America, making the disappearance of the company's founder major news. The
Wall Street Journal
reports the last known sighting of VG Siddhartha was Monday night after he reportedly parted ways with his driver near a bridge over the Netravati...
You Won't Want
to Put Cream,
Sugar in This
Cup of Coffee
May 13, 2019 11:43 AM CDT
You Won't Want to Put Cream, Sugar in This Cup of Coffee
It would dilute the flavor of this $75-per-cup joe, offered by just one US company
- One hundred pounds of a hard-to-find Panamanian coffee was recently auctioned off to buyers worldwide, and just one company in the US got its hands on 10 pounds of it. Now, per KGO , Klatch Coffee, with one shop in San Francisco and several more scattered throughout Southern California, will be...
Officials: There Won't Be
Coffee in a National Crisis
Apr 10, 2019 5:24 PM CDT
Officials: There Won't Be Coffee in a National Crisis
Switzerland is having it removed from the national stockpile
- Pity the Swiss: If there's a national emergency, they won't be having coffee. Swiss officials decided last week that coffee will no longer be held in stockpiles in case of an epidemic, natural disaster, war, or other major crisis,
reports. The government report concluded that while...
He's 45, Plans to Live
Another 135 Years. Here's How
in case you missed it
Feb 2, 2019 7:30 AM CST
He's 45, Plans to Live Another 135 Years. Here's How
Bulletproof Coffee founder Dave Asprey has spent $1M in pursuit of his goal
- Dave Asprey is 45, which in his view "officially" makes him a young adult. That's because his well-known goal is to live to 180; he's now a quarter of the way there. In a lengthy piece for
, Rachel Monroe digs into the Bulletproof Coffee...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.