Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 29, 2023 8:35 AM CST
Emotional Djokovic Notches a Milestone
He wins Australian Open, tying record for most Grand Slam wins at 22
- Novak Djokovic climbed into the stands to celebrate his 10th Australian Open championship and record-tying 22nd men's Grand Slam title Sunday and, after jumping and pumping his fists with his team, he collapsed onto his back, crying. When he returned to the playing surface, Djokovic sat on his sideline...
We Have an
Jan 28, 2023 5:30 AM CST
We Have an Australian Open Winner
Belarus' Aryna Sabalenka beats Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan, wins first Grand Slam title
- Aryna Sabalenka won her first Grand Slam title by coming back to beat Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the Australian Open women's final Saturday. The 24-year-old Sabalenka, who's from Belarus, was appearing in her first major final, per the AP . She improved to 11-0 in...
Australian Open Evicts
Jan 25, 2023 7:25 PM CST
Australian Open Evicts Pro-Russia Demonstrators
Banned flag, Putin's image and a 'Z' disrupt event
- Four people were detained, questioned, and evicted Wednesday after the Australian Open was disrupted by pro-Russia chants and displays. The demonstrators displayed a Russian flag bearing an image of Vladimir Putin, and a spectator took off a shirt during play to reveal a T-shirt underneath bearing a white "Z"...
'Netflix Curse' Hits
Australia Open Players
Jan 24, 2023 9:03 PM CST
'Netflix Curse' Hits Australia Open Players
None of the 10 players featured in 'Break Point' made it to tournament's second week
- The first Grand Slam tournament has been wall-to-wall failure for tennis stars affected by the so-called "Netflix curse." Out of the 10 top tennis players featured in Netflix documentary
, which came out last week, three didn't even make it to the Australian Open, the
Another Tennis Star Has
Apparent Vaccine Troubles
Jan 9, 2023 10:20 AM CST
Another Tennis Star Has Apparent Vaccine Troubles
Italy's Camila Giorgi is accused of having fake vaccination certificate on eve of Australian Open
- Around this same time last year, Australia was booting Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic out of the country, prohibiting him from competing in the Australian Open due to his lack of COVID vaccination. Now, right before this year's tennis tourney Down Under, a similar controversy is bubbling up involving...
Former No. 1, Who Retired
at 25, Finds Life After Tennis
Jan 1, 2023 1:30 PM CST
Former No. 1, Who Retired at 25, Finds Life After Tennis
Ashleigh Barty says she's adjusted to a less structured existence
- As other people have done during the pandemic, Ashleigh Barty stepped away from her job earlier this year. Unlike everyone else, Barty was the No. 1 professional female tennis player in the world at the time. Just 25 years old when she retired in March, Barty has adjusted to staying...
In 5 Hours and 24 Minutes,
Nadal Does the Extraordinary
Jan 30, 2022 8:39 AM CST
In 5 Hours and 24 Minutes, Nadal Does the Extraordinary
He broke the men's record for most Grand Slam singles titles with 21st win
- Rafael Nadal got to 21 first, breaking the men's record for most Grand Slam singles titles and doing it the hard way by coming back from two sets down to beat Daniil Medvedev in an almost 5 1/2-hour Australian Open final that didn't finish until the early hours...
Australian Open Winner Is
Extra-Special to Aussies
Jan 29, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Australian Open Winner Is Extra-Special to Aussies
Ashleigh Barty beat US' Danielle Collins, becoming first Aussie to win nation's tourney since 1978
- It's been 44 years since either a men's or women's tennis player from Australia won the Australian Open. That changed Saturday, when Ashleigh Barty, 25, took home the title for her country in Melbourne, beating 28-year-old American Danielle Collins 6-3, 7-6, reports Yahoo Sports . The last Aussie...
Djokovic Has Been Deported
Jan 16, 2022 8:00 AM CST
Djokovic Has Been Deported From Australia
Courts affirmed right to boot unvaccinated tennis star
- Instead of starting the defense of his Australian Open title on Monday, Novak Djokovic was on his way home, a stunning and unprecedented end to his run of success at Melbourne Park. Djokovic has won nine of his 20 Grand Slam trophies at the Australian Open—including three in a...
Djokovic's Visa Again
Jan 14, 2022 3:21 AM CST
Australia Revokes Djokovic's Visa Again
Move means tennis star might be deported after all
- Australian officials have made a decision that could put Novak Djokovic out of the Australian Open before it begins. The Serbian star's visa has been canceled for a second time, this time by Immigration Minister Alex Hawke on "public interest" grounds, the BBC reports. The unvaccinated Djokovic was...
Yes, I Tested
Went to Interview
Jan 12, 2022 8:26 AM CST
Djokovic: Yes, I Tested Positive, Then Went to Interview
He admits not isolating was an 'error'
- Novak Djokovic knew he'd tested positive for COVID-19 when he attended a newspaper interview and photo shoot in Serbia last month, saying Wednesday he made an "error of judgment" and should have immediately gone into isolation. In a statement posted to his social media accounts regarding "continuing...
Amid Aussie Mess, Djokovic
Has a Message for Fans
Jan 7, 2022 12:09 PM CST
Amid Aussie Mess, Djokovic Has a Message for Fans
Serbian tennis star is feeling the love as he tries to clear up visa/vaccine hubbub before Australian Open
- Novak Djokovic still isn't revealing whether he's been vaccinated, but he's now speaking out to family and fans supporting him as he's caught up in a visa commotion Down Under. The Serbian tennis star, who was denied entry to Australia this week ahead of the Australian...
Djokovic Transferred to
Immigration Detention Facility
Jan 6, 2022 4:10 AM CST
Djokovic Transferred to Immigration Detention Facility
He's fighting deportation from Australia
- Novak Djokovic spent a day confined to a hotel room waiting for a court to deal with the prospect of a possible deportation from Australia. The 20-time Grand Slam singles winner will spend at least another night there, in immigration detention, as he fights against the deportation move. With his...
Australia Says Djokovic
Will Be Sent Back
Jan 5, 2022 4:44 PM CST
Australia Says Djokovic Will Be Sent Back
Tennis star's visa has been canceled
This file has been updated with the decision to cancel Djokovic's visa
. Novak Djokovic landed in Melbourne just before midnight Wednesday local time—but the world's top-ranked tennis player wasn't allowed to actually enter Australia. The Serbian star spent the night at Tullamarine Airport due to...
Jan 5, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Djokovic's Exemption in Australia Generates Fury
He got the OK to play at the Australian Open
The news that Novak Djokovic has been granted a medical exemption that will allow him to play in the Australian Open despite refusing to reveal his vaccination status has spurred outrage in the country, up to its highest ranks. NBC News reports a "visibly angry" Prime Minister Scott...
Fans Booing Vaccine
at Australian Open Are
Feb 22, 2021 2:16 AM CST
Fans Booing Vaccine at Australian Open Are 'Un-Australian': Official
Government officials, other public figures decry the incident
- Fans at the Australian Open tennis final Sunday decided to criticize the coronavirus vaccine, and the government wasn't having it. A tennis official spoke about the COVID-19 vaccine efforts as a sign of hope, and some in the crowd responded by booing, the BBC reports. "I don't...
In 'Bearable Pain,'
Open, 18th Slam
Feb 21, 2021 9:35 AM CST
In 'Bearable Pain,' Djokovic Takes 9th Australian Open, 18th Slam
33-year-old climbs lists with 'most challenging' major victory
- Maybe, the thinking went, Novak Djokovic would be just a tad more susceptible to trouble this time around at the Australian Open. After all, he tore an abdominal muscle in the third round. Entering Sunday, the AP reports, Djokovic had ceded five sets in the tournament, the most he ever...
Monica Seles Did It in
the '90s. Now, Naomi Osaka
Feb 20, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Monica Seles Did It in the '90s. Now, Naomi Osaka
23-year-old women's tennis player has won all of her first 4 Grand Slam finals
- Not since Monica Seles in the early '90s has women's tennis seen this feat. Representing Japan, No. 3 seed Naomi Osaka beat US player Jennifer Brady 6-4, 6-3 at the Australian Open in Melbourne on Saturday, making her the first woman to claim victory in the first four...
Tennis Players Urged
to Stop Feeding Mice
in Quarantine Hotel
Jan 20, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Tennis Players Urged to Stop Feeding Mice in Quarantine Hotel
They're inlockdown for 14 days before Australian Open
- Lonely tennis players spending 14 days in a quarantine hotel before the Australian Open have apparently been befriending mice—and authorities would like them to stop. After world No. 28 Yulia Putintseva complained that the hotel in Melbourne was infested with mice, Victoria state police minister said players are being...
Players in Strict
Open in 'Revolt'
Jan 19, 2021 8:36 AM CST
Players in Strict Quarantine Before Aussie Open in 'Revolt'
Some participants are under more rigid lockdown orders than others due to positive COVID cases
- A "growing controversy" is brewing Down Under as the tennis world gears up for the Australian Open. The BBC reports three people have tested positive for COVID—two players and a "nonplaying participant," per Victoria state health officials—and quarantine protocols are frustrating players, while locals are...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.