Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Historic Monopoly Lawsuit Brought Against Amazon
Stories 1 - 20 |
Menendez: That Was My Own
Cash I Stashed in My Home
Sep 25, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Menendez: That Was My Own Cash I Stashed in My Home
Senator predicts he will be exonerated on bribery charges
- Sen. Bob Menendez says he's not stepping down from the Senate after being indicted on bribery charges —and he's got an explanation for the cash investigators say they found stashed around his home. The New Jersey Democrat said Monday that the money found in clothes and closets...
Manchin Wants His
Senate Dress Code Back
Sep 22, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
Manchin Wants His Senate Dress Code Back
He plans to introduce resolution to reverse change
- Sen. Joe Manchin is working on a proposal that has bipartisan support, though at least one of his Democratic colleagues might object. A Manchin spokesperson confirmed to
that the senator plans to introduce a resolution to restore the Senate dress code, which was scrapped on Monday . Senate Majority Leader...
Senate Briefly Pierces
Sep 21, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Senate Briefly Pierces Tuberville's Blockade
Army chief of staff and Marine commandant are confirmed, but other nominees wait
- The Senate confirmed two new service chiefs on Thursday, despite the blockade put in place by Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville, but there were indications Democrats didn't feel good about it. Gen. Randy George can now take over as Army chief of staff, and Gen. Eric Smith can officially become...
Fetterman Says He'd Wear
a Suit to 'Save Democracy'
Sep 20, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
Fetterman Says He'd Wear a Suit to 'Save Democracy'
Democrat promises to dress up if Republicans avoid government shutdown
- Now that Sen. John Fetterman officially is free to dress down for appearances in the US Senate, he's offering to put on something more formal—if congressional Republicans meet his conditions. "If those jagoffs in the House stop trying to shut our government down, and fully support Ukraine,...
Takes On Senate
With Boebert Jab
Sep 20, 2023 6:51 AM CDT
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
Republicans are pushing back at relaxing what senators wear on Capitol Hill
- While some are celebrating the Senate's decision to no longer enforce its unwritten dress code —previously, shirts and ties for the guys, covered arms for the ladies—Republicans aren't as thrilled. "Terrible," Sen. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia commented on the change, per NBC...
Senate Dress Code Scrapped
Sep 18, 2023 2:53 AM CDT
Senate Dress Code Scrapped
Although it's not clear it was ever actually a formal rule
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has done away with the chamber's informal dress code, in changes that take effect Monday. Axios first reported the news after Schumer directed the Senate's Sergeant at Arms to no longer enforce the dress code, and Schumer confirmed the news, telling the site,...
Nikki Haley: Senate Is Just
a 'Privileged Nursing Home'
Sep 1, 2023 6:35 AM CDT
Nikki Haley: Senate Is Just a 'Privileged Nursing Home'
After McConnell freeze-up, presidential contender says aging politicians need to know when to retire
- As whispers continue to circulate over the future of Mitch McConnell's leadership following his second public freeze-up , Nikki Haley is saying out loud what she thinks about aging lawmakers, and when they should realize it might be time to pack it up on Capitol Hill. Appearing on Fox News'...
Senator Says She
With Facial Numbness
Aug 1, 2023 2:42 PM CDT
Senator Says She Was Hospitalized With Facial Numbness
Katie Britt says recovery could take weeks
- Days after Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, one of the oldest senators, caused concern by freezing up during a press conference , one of the youngest senators has disclosed that she is dealing with a health issue. Republican Sen. Katie Britt of Alabama said Monday that she was hospitalized over the...
Jul 26, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
McConnell Freezes at Microphone
Minority leader is helped back to his office, then returns to finish press conference
- Sen. Mitch McConnell appeared to shut down during a press conference in the Capitol on Wednesday, falling into silence for about 20 seconds in the middle of a sentence until he was helped away. The minority leader was escorted back to his office by a colleague and finished the press...
The Picture Being Painted
by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
May 17, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
The Picture Being Painted by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
Words 'confident' and 'optimistic' are getting used, but there's a ways to go
- As the clock ticks down to June 1, the president and congressional leaders continue to sound off about the likelihood of striking a deal on raising the debt ceiling. President Biden held a second Oval Office meeting with House and Senate leaders Kevin McCarthy, Hakeem Jeffries, Chuck Schumer, and Mitch...
Editorial Board Has
'Painful' Words for Feinstein
May 5, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Editorial Board Has 'Painful' Words for Feinstein
Board suggests she resign, urges Schumer to act if she doesn't
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein says she will return to the Senate. The editorial board of the
New York Times
suggests she reconsider. And if the 89-year-old doesn't reconsider, the editorial board urges Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to increase pressure on her to step down. The editors laud Feinstein's legacy...
'You Shut Your Mouth,'
Senator Tells Teamsters Boss
Mar 10, 2023 9:13 AM CST
'You Shut Your Mouth,' Senator Tells Teamsters Boss
There was an angry clash during Senate hearing on unions
- The head of the Teamsters union had a fiery exchange with Sen. Markwayne Mullin, R-Okla., at a Senate hearing Thursday, with Mullin telling Sean O'Brien to "shut your mouth" as they clashed over unions. O'Brien was a witness at the Senate Health, Labor, Education, and Pensions Committee...
She's Second in Line
to the Presidency, for Now
Jan 5, 2023 11:19 AM CST
She's Second in Line to the Presidency, for Now
Senate pro tem Patty Murray moves up temporarily because no House speaker exists
- Sen. Patty Murray made history earlier this week when she became the first woman to be sworn in as president pro tempore of the Senate. Now comes an odd footnote, thanks to the political logjam in the House. While the pro tem is usually third in line to the presidency,...
Jan 3, 2023 6:21 PM CST
McConnell Celebrates Senate Milestone
Republican is now the longest-serving Senate leader in history
- While the House was mired in multiple rounds of voting to select a new speaker Tuesday, things moved ahead smoothly in the Senate, where Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was celebrating a milestone. The 80-year-old became the longest-serving Senate leader in history, with 16 years as the top Senate Republican,...
Ahead of Deadline (and Storm),
the Senate Strikes a Deal
Dec 22, 2022 2:10 PM CST
Ahead of Deadline (and Storm), the Senate Strikes a Deal
$1.7T spending package to avoid shutdown sent to House for final approval
- The Senate passed a massive $1.7 trillion spending bill Thursday that finances federal agencies through September and provides another large round of aid to Ukraine one day after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's dramatic address to a joint meeting of Congress . The bill, which runs for 4,155 pages,...
$1.7T Spending Bill
to Avert Shutdown
Dec 20, 2022 2:58 AM CST
Lawmakers Unveil $1.7T Spending Bill to Avert Shutdown
Congress racing to pass bill before Friday deadline
- Congressional leaders unveiled a $1.7 trillion spending package early Tuesday that includes another large round of aid to Ukraine, a nearly 10% boost in defense spending, and roughly $40 billon to assist communities across the country recovering from drought, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. The bill includes about $772....
Senate Fears Federal Workers
Are Using a 'Trojan Horse'
Dec 15, 2022 9:29 AM CST
Senate Fears Federal Workers Are Using a 'Trojan Horse'
It passes bill that would bar the downloading, use of TikTok on government devices
- TikTok has seen a smackdown of sorts across the nation, with multiple states banning use of the video hosting service on government devices. Now the Senate has voted in favor of a similar ban for federal employees, passing a bill that will need House approval before making its way to...
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's
Leaving Democratic Party
Dec 9, 2022 6:10 AM CST
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
'I’ve never fit neatly into any party box,' says Arizona senator
- Days after Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock won the runoff election in Georgia, the 51-49 majority the party was expecting in Congress is looking shakier. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema tells CNN that she is leaving the Democratic Party and registering as an independent. The Arizona senator declined to say whether she would...
Senate Passes Landmark
Same-Sex Marriage Act
Nov 29, 2022 8:12 PM CST
Senate Passes Landmark Same-Sex Marriage Act
12 Republicans voted with Democrats
- A bill that makes protection for same-sex and interracial marriages federal law passed the Senate in a 61-36 vote Tuesday and will now head to the House for a final vote. A dozen Republicans voted in favor, the same number that joined Democrats for a filibuster-proof majority in vote to...
Control of the
Nov 9, 2022 12:38 PM CST
Control of the Senate Rests on These 3 States
Dems have 48 seats so far, the GOP has 49
- Most of the final forecasts heading into Election Day gave Republicans a good chance of reclaiming control of the Senate, if only by a slim margin . As of mid-day Wednesday, the final tally remains up in the air. The Democrats have secured 48 seats to the GOP's 49, with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.