Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge OKs False-Advertising
Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Oct 19, 2022 1:18 PM CDT
Judge OKs False-Advertising Suit Against Barilla Pasta
Class-action plaintiffs have beef with Barilla's 'Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta'; product is made in NY, Iowa
- "Italy's No. 1 brand of pasta" isn't as Italian as it sounds. That's the crux of a class-action lawsuit against Barilla that a federal judge this week ruled could proceed, meaning the company will have to face the plaintiffs' allegations that it engaged in false or...
Surgeon Loses License for
Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
Jan 14, 2022 9:18 AM CST
Surgeon Loses License for Act of 'Professional Arrogance'
UK's Simon Bramhall had burned his initials into livers of 2 patients in 2013
A British surgeon who burned his initials into the livers of two patients no longer has a medical license. On Monday, the UK's Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service found Simon Bramhall, 57, had broken trust with his patients through his actions during the 2013 surgeries, and that the branding...
Suit Company's New Ads
Have People Buzzing
Mar 5, 2021 6:26 AM CST
Suit Company's New Ads Have People Buzzing
Suitsupply's 'New Normal' ad campaign forecasts a post-pandemic orgy
- The first thing you're going to do once you get the all-clear from Dr. Fauci is yank off your face mask, climb onto a bunch of sweaty strangers, and start offering them slobbering, open-mouthed kisses, right? That's what the post-pandemic future holds in "The New Normal,"...
New Boeing Plane Name
May Be Subtle PR Move
Aug 20, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
New Boeing Plane Name May Be Subtle PR Move
737 Max is called 737-8 in new announcement from Boeing, but it's not clear if that's an official rebrand
- Boeing announced an order Wednesday from Polish airline Enter Air for up to four 737-8 airplanes, with the airline's general director asserting he's "convinced it will be the best aircraft in the world for many years to come." For those curious what this new jet is...
Names After All
Aug 1, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Trader Joe's: We're Keeping Ethnic Food Names After All
Chain seems to do 180 after teen's petition to change branding she said was offensive
- A California teen's petition to get Trader Joe's to change the branding on some of its international food items looked like it hit home with the grocery chain, but after hinting on a phaseout, management seems to be backtracking on that plan. Briones Bedell has noted some of...
Will be Given
a New Name
Jun 22, 2020 5:03 PM CDT
Eskimo Pies Will be Given a New Name
Dreyer's says the current brand and marketing are inappropriate
- The Eskimo Pie will have a new name for its second century. Like companies deciding their product names are hurtful, Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream's has decided to leave the Eskimo Pie name and marketing campaign in the past, along with the Eskimo character, the
New York Times
After 130 Years,
Jun 17, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
After 130 Years, Aunt Jemima Is Getting an Overhaul
Aunt Jemima brand is changing logo, name to 'make progress toward racial equality'
- For decades, supermarket shoppers have seen bottles of maple syrup represented by log cabins, matrons with aprons, and one especially controversial brand that's now getting an overhaul. Per NBC News , Quaker Oats, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, announced Wednesday it will completely change both the logo and name of its...
Gets an All-Caps Reax
Nov 5, 2019 2:33 AM CST
Facebook's Rebrand Gets an All-Caps Reax
Revamp as FACEBOOK spurs head-scratching, jokes
- At least it's not Bookface —or, for that matter, BOOKFACE. NBC News reports that Facebook announced a rebranding effort this week, and its new name is drawing an all-caps reaction. "FACEBOOK" is the new brand, a revamp of the name using "custom typography, rounded corners, open...
Trump's Name Scrubbed
From NYC Ice Rinks
Oct 23, 2019 1:32 PM CDT
Trump's Name Scrubbed From NYC Ice Rinks
Wollman Rink, Lasker Rink have been run by his organization since 1980s
- For years, skaters at a pair of ice rinks in Manhattan's Central Park have been surrounded by the Trump name. Now, no longer. The official names of the New York rinks are Wollman Rink and Lasker Rink, but Donald Trump started running them in the 1980s, at which point...
on Women's Day 2018
Mar 8, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Branding Misfires on Women's Day 2018
McDonald's, Mattel come under criticism, and Spain's women go on strike
- Thursday is International Women's Day, an annual event getting more attention than usual in 2018 because it's the first in the wake of the #MeToo movement. As expected, brands ( including McDonald's ) are looking to capitalize, though critics are calling out examples of perceived misfires. Here'...
She Thought It Would Be
a Tattoo. It Was a Branding
Oct 18, 2017 9:35 AM CDT
She Thought It Would Be a Tattoo. It Was a Branding
Women recount bizarre initiation of secret group within Nxivm self-help organization
- It's called Nxivm, pronounced Nex-e-um, and thousands have gone through its various self-help and executive training seminars since the 1990s. As the
New York Times
explains in a lengthy story about the group, most people take a few classes and leave after that. But others become devoted adherents to...
Celeb Chef Alters Restaurant
Name After Disturbing Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 27, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Celeb Chef Alters Restaurant Name After Disturbing Find
Tom Colicchio says he didn't know about racial beliefs of men he named it after
- A celebrity chef has spent tens of thousands of dollars to quietly change the name of his Manhattan restaurant after he discovered its meaning had racial undertones. Per the
New York Times
, Tom Colicchio, the lead judge on Bravo's
, originally called his eatery in the New York...
Selling 'Tiffany' Engagement
Rings Just Cost Costco $19.4M
Aug 15, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Selling 'Tiffany' Engagement Rings Just Cost Costco $19.4M
Judge rules against warehouse club, which sold jewelry using Tiffany brand name
- A federal judge's decision on trademark infringement likely has Costco executives feeling blue—but definitely not Tiffany blue. Per CNBC , US District Judge Laura Taylor Swain ruled Monday the warehouse club must fork over $19.4 million in damages, plus interest, to the luxury jeweler for selling diamond engagement...
People Aren't Happy About
These Peaceful Swastika Tees
Aug 7, 2017 4:57 PM CDT
People Aren't Happy About These Peaceful Swastika Tees
Shirts with the design have been pulled after online backlash
- A design company hoping to rebrand the swastika as a symbol of peace and love is feeling quite the opposite on social media. Per the BBC , KA Design’s shirts featuring a swastika next to words like “zen” and “peace” have been pulled from its online shop after...
Dunkin' Donuts May Be Nixing
a Big Part of Its Identity
Aug 4, 2017 12:32 PM CDT
Dunkin' Donuts May Be Nixing a Big Part of Its Identity
Parent company plans to drop 'Donuts' from brand name in test-drive
- Dunkin' Donuts is thinking about dumping "Donuts" from its name. A new location of the chain in Pasadena, Calif., will be simply called Dunkin', a move that parent company Dunkin' Brands Group Inc. calls a test, the AP reports. The Massachusetts-based company said Thursday that a few other stores...
Just One of 10
Jun 6, 2017 9:30 AM CDT
Just One of 10 Most Valuable Brands Isn't American
Nice job, Tencent
- Bragging rights for the world's most valuable brands are usually controlled by US companies, but in this year's ranking by BrandZ , one of China's own cracked the top 10, CNN reports. Tencent, which makes online games, apps, and other digital add-ons, rode on the coattails of its...
Southern Comfort Is About to
Add a Surprising Ingredient
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 14, 2017 6:59 AM CDT
Southern Comfort Is About to Add a Surprising Ingredient
If you thought it already contained whiskey, it doesn't—but it once did, and it will again
- Southern Comfort bills itself as "the spirit of New Orleans," but the generic grain-neutral spirit base it contains (an ingredient not far removed from vodka) doesn't exactly scream "Deep South character." The Sazerac Company, owner of the college-staple brand, wants to change that perception—and...
Mar 15, 2016 8:00 AM CDT
Honey Nut Cheerios Bee Disappears
It's for a good cause: to bring awareness to declining bee population
- He's known for tempting our tummies with the taste of nuts and honey, but it looks like Buzz the bee (or, at least, the northern version of him) will be taking a temporary hiatus. The General Mills mascot used in promotions for Honey Nut Cheerios will be taken off...
Brands Have Lost
Jan 12, 2016 1:21 PM CST
Trump's Luxury Brands Have Lost Their Glitter
And he really only has himself to blame, per Politico
- For more than 10 years, BAV Consulting has kept an eye on the Donald Trump brand, documenting its peaks and valleys in consumer opinion. But as Politico reports, the Donald's hold on the luxury goods market—which has helped amass him a portfolio that Bloomberg has estimated is worth...
Malaysia Airlines Nixes
'Bucket List' Contest
Sep 3, 2014 1:58 PM CDT
Malaysia Airlines Nixes 'Bucket List' Contest
Company tries to coax people back on planes with regrettable promo
- Even a drunken, washed-up Don Draper would know better than to pitch this: Malaysia Airlines —dogged by the twin tragedies of Flight 370 and Flight 17 and desperate to fill its scads of empty seats — came up with what apparently seemed like a promising promotion: the "My...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
1 Killed, 2 Hurt in Rampage on DC Metro
CDC: Stop Using These Eye Drops
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.