Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Climbs Out of Plane,
Jumps to Tarmac
Nov 27, 2023 3:16 PM CST
Southwest Passenger Climbs Out of Plane, Jumps to Tarmac
The man was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation
- A Southwest Airlines passenger was hospitalized for evaluation Sunday night after he opened an emergency hatch on an aircraft, climbed out onto the wing, and jumped down onto the tarmac, authorities say. Witnesses say the man ran across the tarmac at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport and tried to...
Mom: Southwest Accused Me
of Trafficking My Own Daughter
Aug 8, 2023 9:13 AM CDT
Mom: Southwest Accused Me of Trafficking My Own Daughter
Mary MacCarthy, who's white, says she and her biracial 10-year-old child were racially profiled
- A single mom has sued Southwest, accusing the airline of racial discrimination after a flight attendant suspected she may have been trafficking a child—her own daughter. NBC News reports that Mary MacCarthy, who's white, was traveling with her then-10-year-old daughter, Moira, who's Black, in October 2021 from...
Bring Man 'Back to Life'
Jun 2, 2023 1:02 PM CDT
Fellow Passengers Bring Man 'Back to Life'
Emily Raines and Daniel Shifflett, both nurses, save a man with no pulse aboard plane
- After a four-day cruise in the Bahamas, Baltimore couple Emily Raines and Daniel Shifflett were eager to get home. So eager, in fact, that they twice tried to switch to an earlier flight out of Fort Lauderdale, where their cruise ship docked around 9am on May 1. Ultimately, they stuck...
White House Is Cracking Down
on Airline Cancellations
May 8, 2023 1:36 PM CDT
White House Is Cracking Down on Airline Cancellations
Airlines would have to reimburse customers for delays that were within their control
- The Biden administration is proposing new regulations that would require airlines to compensate passengers and cover their meals and hotels if they are stranded for reasons within the airline's control. As the AP reports, President Biden and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg were unveiling the plan on Monday. It continues...
Epic Plane Outburst Began
With 'Shut That Baby Up'
Apr 21, 2023 8:04 AM CDT
Epic Plane Outburst Began With 'Shut That Baby Up'
Southwest Airlines passenger forcibly removed by police in Orlando
- Orlando police had to escort a Southwest Airlines passenger from a plane on Monday after what
calls an "adult tantrum" over a crying baby. Passenger Mark Grabowski recorded a nearly 4-minute viral video of the outburst as the flight, bound for Fort Lauderdale, was stuck in a...
Here's How America's
Major Airlines Rank
Apr 19, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Here's How America's Major Airlines Rank
WalletHub places Delta at the top of its list
- Finding the cheapest flight is often a traveler's priority, but there are other reasons to pick one airline over the other. WalletHub checked out the nine largest US carriers, plus two regional airlines, to see how they ranked on everything from baggage, departures, and safety, to in-flight comfort (think...
Southwest Resumes Flying
After Nationwide Grounding
Apr 18, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Southwest Resumes Flying After Nationwide Grounding
Tech glitch briefly kept planes from flying, but now many flights are delayed
- Southwest has resumed flights after all were briefly grounded Tuesday morning because of a tech glitch. Those flying on the airline can expect delays, however: Roughly 40% were behind schedule as of noon, reports
. The company's explanation for the snafu: "Early this morning, a vendor-supplied firewall...
Doesn't Hurt CEO's Bottom Line
Apr 6, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Southwest's Meltdown Doesn't Hurt CEO's Bottom Line
Robert Jordan's compensation for 2022 topped $5M
- Southwest Airlines CEO Robert Jordan's compensation nearly doubled last year to $5.3 million after being promoted to the top job during a year that ended with massive flight cancellations that will cost Southwest more than $1 billion. Southwest disclosed in a proxy filed Thursday that the estimated value...
Catch a Break
Mar 6, 2023 12:25 PM CST
Southwest Cannot Catch a Break
One engine on fire out of Cuba, and one pretty harrowing flight diverts to Myrtle Beach
- Southwest is really having a sub-par time of it lately. The airline that can catch no breaks continued its run of catching no breaks with a pair of incidents in recent days that are keeping its public-relations department hopping:
To get the weekend off to a rocking start, a Southwest
Woman Dies After
a Fall on Southwest
Airlines' Jet Bridge
Feb 1, 2023 12:59 AM CST
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Gaby Assouline was paralyzed from the neck down
- In February of last year, Gaby Assouline was boarding a Southwest Airlines flight when her electric wheelchair hit a junction on the jet bridge and flipped over, throwing her from the chair, her family says. Nearly a year later, the 25-year-old is dead. Assouline's family says she landed on...
The Ice Man Groundeth
1K Flights in Texas
Jan 31, 2023 11:25 AM CST
The Ice Man Groundeth 1K Flights in Texas
Southwest is not having a particularly cheery day again
- Winter weather brought ice to Texas and nearby states Tuesday, causing the cancellation of more than 1,300 flights and delaying nearly as many more. Numerous auto collisions were reported in Austin, with at least one fatality. In Travis County, Texas, which includes Austin, police and sheriff’s deputies have...
American, Southwest Post
Drastically Different Q4 Stats
Jan 26, 2023 8:35 AM CST
American, Southwest Post Drastically Different Q4 Stats
American sees a profit of $803M; Southwest takes $220M loss after a chaotic December
- American Airlines offered more proof Thursday of the recovery in air travel, posting a better-than-expected profit for the fourth quarter, while Southwest Airlines lost money because of massive flight cancellations last month. Southwest said it also expects another loss in the first quarter, though it added it was encouraged by...
Southwest Offers Passengers
'Goodwill Gesture' After
Jan 3, 2023 7:03 PM CST
Southwest Offers Passengers 'Goodwill Gesture' After Holiday Chaos
Those affected by delays, cancellations are being given 25K frequent flier points
- After chaos over the holidays disrupted travel for more than a million Southwest Airlines passengers, CEO Bob Jordan said "there's just no way almost to apologize enough." On Tuesday, the airline reached out with what it called a "gesture of goodwill"—25,000 frequent flyer...
Dec 30, 2022 12:54 PM CST
Southwest CEO: 'No Way to Apologize Enough'
Airline returns to a relatively normal day of flying on Friday
- Southwest Airlines returned to a relatively normal flight schedule Friday, as the focus shifts to making things right with more than a million passengers who missed flights during the holidays, and many of whom are still missing luggage. The Dallas carrier, which had canceled thousands of flights every day this...
Southwest Resuming Normal
Flight Schedule Friday
Dec 29, 2022 12:16 PM CST
Southwest Resuming Normal Flight Schedule Friday
After 3 days of chaos
- The Southwest travel nightmare might be near an end. The airline plans to operate a full schedule on Friday after canceling roughly two-thirds of its flights over the last three days, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. That amounts to about 15,000 canceled flights in a busy travel week, with...
United, American Cap Fares
to Help Southwest's Stranded
Dec 29, 2022 6:36 AM CST
United, American Cap Fares to Help Southwest's Stranded
Other airlines also try to accommodate customers left high and dry by thousands of nixed SW flights
- Amid travel woes involving Southwest Airlines ' customers this holiday week, two other major airlines are trying to mitigate the mess. CNN Business reports that United Airlines and American Airlines are limiting how much it costs to fly to and from certain cities on their own flights to help the...
Pete Buttigieg Gives
Southwest CEO a Warning
Dec 28, 2022 12:04 AM CST
Pete Buttigieg Gives Southwest CEO a Warning
Airline could face fines if legal obligations to customers are not met
- The Department of Transportation had warned it was looking into Southwest Airlines' massive problems over the last few days, and on Tuesday the department's secretary said he's offered a personal warning to the airline's CEO. "I made clear that our department will be holding them accountable...
A Look at Why Southwest
Is in Such a Mess
Dec 27, 2022 2:28 PM CST
A Look at Why Southwest Is in Such a Mess
Airline is operating only about a third of its schedule for the coming days
- On Monday, Southwest Airlines canceled a staggering 71% of its flights . Tuesday is pretty much the same—and Wednesday and Thursday likely won't be much better. The airline had scrapped about 62% of its flights on Tuesday and plans to keep the cuts in place through at least Thursday,...
Number of Canceled
Flights Is Pretty Wild
Dec 27, 2022 1:22 AM CST
Number of Canceled Southwest Airlines Flights Is Pretty Wild
Carrier canceled 71% of its flights Monday
- Travelers were dealing with flight delays and cancellations Monday, perhaps not surprising given the combination of holiday travel and the wild weather impacting much of the US. The shocking part? Just how massive a share of the flight cancellations Southwest Airlines accounted for. As CNN and NPR report, flight tracking...
an Odd One
Sep 2, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Southwest Pilot's Warning Was an Odd One
It wasn't about turbulence or an overbooked flight, but a passenger sending nude pics
- What happens in Texas apparently doesn't stay in Texas, because what took place on one Southwest Airlines flight getting ready to fly to Mexico is now making headlines all over the globe. That's thanks to a now-viral TikTok video taken by Teighlor Marsalis, who tells CNN she recorded...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Elusive Tire Slasher Turned Out to Be a Dog
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.