Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Gets Death Sentence in NK
Nov 25, 2021 2:30 PM CST
Smuggler Gets Death Sentence in NK
Students who watched it will serve 5 years of hard labor, sources say
- In the Netflix series
, luckless South Koreans are executed for losing children's games. In real-life North Korea, you can be executed for distributing
according to Radio Free Asia . The US-funded news agency, citing sources in North Korea, reports that a man who smuggled a copy...
Oct 29, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
At Oklahoma Execution, a Rare Occurrence
John Marion Grant vomited, convulsed as he was being put to death
- Oklahoma administered the death penalty Thursday on a man who convulsed and vomited as he was executed for the 1998 slaying of a prison cafeteria worker, ending a six-year execution moratorium brought on by concerns over its execution methods, the AP reports. John Marion Grant, 60, who was strapped to...
Death Row Inmates
Oct 28, 2021 12:21 AM CDT
2 Oklahoma Death Row Inmates Get Reprieve
Federal appeals court granted stays of execution Wednesday
- A federal appeals court granted stays of execution on Wednesday for two Oklahoma inmates who were scheduled to receive lethal injections in the coming weeks, the AP reports. A three-member panel of the 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals issued the stays for death row inmates John Marion Grant, who...
Man Who Killed
Oct 15, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Man Who Killed Ex-Wife During Livestream Gets Death Sentence
Chinese vlogger Lhamo died 2 weeks after being doused with gas, set on fire
- A man who murdered his ex-wife last year by setting her on fire, all while she was livestreaming, has heard his fate in a Chinese intermediate people's court. The
reports Tang Lu was on Thursday convicted of killing 30-year-old Lhamo, a vlogger and social media influencer, while...
Sep 13, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
Death Row Inmate Gets Hope From Parole Board
Oklahoma panel recommends governor commute death sentence of Julius Jones
- Oklahoma’s Pardon and Parole Board on Monday recommended the governor commute the death sentence of convicted killer Julius Jones, who has maintained his innocence in a case that has garnered national attention, per the AP . The board voted 3-1 to recommend Jones’ sentence be commuted to either life or...
Death Row Inmate Suing for
a Final Touch Gets Reprieve
Sep 9, 2021 1:56 AM CDT
Death Row Inmate Suing for a Final Touch Gets Reprieve
Supreme Court blocks John Henry Ramirez's execution
- A Texas death row inmate won a reprieve Wednesday evening from execution for killing a convenience store worker during a 2004 robbery that garnered $1.25 after claiming the state was violating his religious freedom by not letting his pastor lay hands on him at the time of his lethal...
Yakuza Mobster to Death
Aug 24, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
Japan Sentences Yakuza Mobster to Death
Sentence for Kudo-kai kingpin Nomura Satoru is the first of its kind
- The head of one of Japan's most violent organized crime groups has been sentenced to death by hanging. Nomura Satoru, leader of a Yakuza crime syndicate based in the southern city of Fukuoka, was convicted of ordering four attacks, one of which killed the former chief of a fishing...
After Wave of 13
Federal Executions, a Halt
Jul 2, 2021 12:45 AM CDT
After Wave of 13 Federal Executions, a Halt
Department of Justice reviewing policies
- After the Trump administration restarted federal executions following a 17-year hiatus, Donald Trump oversaw 13 executions —more than any US president since the 1800s, Reuters reports. (Those executions also included the first woman put to death by the federal government in almost seven decades.) On Thursday, US Attorney...
Attempt of 'Black Widow' to
Claim Dementia Goes South
Jun 30, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Attempt of 'Black Widow' to Claim Dementia Goes South
Japan's Supreme Court upholds death sentence for Chisako Kakehi, who murdered 3
- For nearly four years, Chisako Kakehi's legal team has been pushing back on her 2017 death sentence, arguing that the 74-year-old woman Japan knows as the "Black Widow" has dementia, rendering her incapable of understanding anything that's going on around her, including her own criminal trial. Those...
Longest Serving Death Row
Inmate Is Resentenced
Jun 10, 2021 2:24 AM CDT
Longest Serving Death Row Inmate Is Resentenced
Raymond Riles is now serving a life sentence
- Raymond Riles has been on death row for more than 45 years—longer than anyone else in the US. But no longer: On Wednesday, the 71-year-old Texas man was resentenced to life in prison, CBS DFW reports. Riles, who shot and killed used car dealer John Thomas Henry at a...
Judge Won't Block 2
Jun 9, 2021 12:27 AM CDT
South Carolina Judge Won't Block 2 Controversial Executions
They're scheduled for June 18 and June 25
- A South Carolina judge on Tuesday refused to block two executions set for later this month as she considers a lawsuit over the state’s new capital punishment law, which effectively forces condemned prisoners to choose to die by either the electric chair or firing squad. State Circuit Judge Jocelyn...
May 25, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Roof's Lawyers: Defense 'Breakdown' Merits Death Sentence Nix
Arguments begun Tuesday to overturn SC killer's conviction
- Before white supremacist Dylann Roof was sentenced to death for killing nine Black parishioners at a church in Charleston, SC, he told jurors to "forget" what his lawyers had said about him being mentally ill. Now, the first person sentenced to death for a federal hate crime is asking...
20 Years Later, Killer
Apologizes to Victim's Family
May 24, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
20 Years Later, Killer Apologizes to Victim's Family
Adam Davis was 19 when he conspired with other teens to kill his girlfriend's mother
- A man convicted of murder and sentenced to death two decades ago has apologized to his victim’s family, reports the
Tampa Bay Times
. Adam Davis was in court Monday for a short hearing in which his sentence was changed to life in prison. Davis was convicted in the...
12th Federal Execution
Under Trump Takes Place
Jan 15, 2021 12:27 AM CST
12th Federal Execution Under Trump Takes Place
Corey Johnson put to death in Indiana Thursday night
- The US government executed a drug trafficker Thursday for his involvement in a series of slayings in Virginia’s capital city in 1992, despite claims by his lawyers that the lethal injection would cause excruciating pain due to lung damage from his recent COVID-19 infection. Corey Johnson's lawyers have...
by the US for
the First Time
Jan 13, 2021 1:39 AM CST
Woman Executed by the US for the First Time Since 1953
After much legal back-and-forth, Supreme Court clears way for Lisa Montgomery's execution
- After hours of legal back-and-forth, Lisa Montgomery was executed early Wednesday at a federal prison complex in Indiana. The Kansas 52-year-old is the first female put to death in the US since 1953, the AP reports. An appeals court had granted a stay of execution for Montgomery on Tuesday, but...
Attorneys for Woman
Set to Be Executed
Ask Trump to
Jan 6, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Attorneys for Woman Set to Be Executed Ask Trump to Intervene
Commute Lisa Montgomery's sentence, her lawyers ask POTUS
- The only woman on federal death row is set to be executed Tuesday—but her lawyers are hoping the president will intervene. Lisa Montgomery's defense team filed a petition for clemency Tuesday,
reports. "We're asking now that President Trump to please hear our plea,"...
Bad News for
Jan 2, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Bad News for Only Woman on Federal Death Row
Lisa Montgomery could now be executed before Joe Biden takes office
- A federal appeals court has cleared the way for the only woman on federal death row to be executed before President-elect Joe Biden takes office, the AP reports. The ruling, handed down Friday by a three-judge panel on the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, concluded...
'Twitter Killer' Hears His Fate
Dec 15, 2020 6:40 AM CST
'Twitter Killer' Hears His Fate
Takahiro Shiraishi gets death after pleading guilty to murdering, dismembering 9 in Japan
- The "Twitter Killer" of Japan has heard his fate, and he didn't react. Takahiro Shiraishi received the death penalty Tuesday after pleading guilty in September for the murder and dismemberment of nine people, and the judge who handed down the sentence had to ask if the "stone-faced"...
Chinese Kindergarten Teacher
to Die for Her School Crime
Sep 29, 2020 4:42 PM CDT
Chinese Kindergarten Teacher to Die for Her School Crime
Wang Yun laced bowls of porridge with sodium nitrite
- A former kindergarten teacher in China "should be punished severely in accordance with the law," said a Henan province court ruling Monday, per CNN , and the punishment it doled out is the severest of all: death. Wang Yun killed one child and sickened two dozen others by adding...
Feds Execute Man Who
Thought He Killed 'Tinkerbell'
Sep 23, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Feds Execute Man Who Thought He Killed 'Tinkerbell'
That was the name William LeCroy used for a former sitter who he thought put a hex on him
- The US government on Tuesday executed a former soldier who said an obsession with witchcraft led him to kill a Georgia nurse he believed had put a spell on him. William Emmett LeCroy, 50, was pronounced dead at 9:06pm EDT after receiving a lethal injection at the same US...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.