Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sydney Flight Turns Back
Over Unruly Passenger
Aug 14, 2023 12:43 PM CDT
Sydney Flight Turns Back Over Unruly Passenger
Man, 45, arrested after threatening to 'blow the plane up'
- A commercial airline flight from Australia to Malaysia returned to Sydney on Monday after an emergency incident, reports the AP . Malaysia Airlines flight MH122 left Sydney Airport at 1:40pm for an eight-hour flight to Kuala Lumpur and landed back on the runway at 3:47pm, Nine News reported. Someone...
This Is the
Most Livable City
in the World
in case you missed it
Jun 25, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
This Is the Most Livable City in the World
Vienna is No. 1 in rankings of 170+ cities worldwide; no US cities make the top 10
- Looking to pull up roots and try to make it in an exciting new city? Head to Vienna, deemed the most livable city, or to Canada, where three cities are among the top picks on the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Index . The EIU based its rankings of more...
This Is the Friendliest
City in the World
Jun 12, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
This Is the Friendliest City in the World
Toronto takes the top spot in Preply's rankings; 2 US cities also make the top 10
- Looking forward to a summer vacation, or even a relocation? Preply is out with its Community Spirit Index , which ranks more than 50 cities around the world in terms of how friendly they are to non-natives. The language learning app examined six main metrics to gather a sense of how...
Cops: Mastermind of Jewel
Heist Was the Store Owner
May 9, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
Cops: Mastermind of Jewel Heist Was the Store Owner
Australia's Michel Germani allegedly orchestrated January robbery for insurance money
- The owner of Australian luxury jewelry company Germani Jewellery claims to have designed items for Saudi and British royalty, including Princess Diana. But his biggest claim came in January, when the 65-year-old reported suffering a $2.8 million armed heist at one of his Sydney stores. According to New South...
Sydney Is No Longer
Australia's Biggest City
Apr 17, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Sydney Is No Longer Australia's Biggest City
Melbourne overtakes it for first time in a century
- Anyone alive today may have absorbed this factoid in school: Australia's most populous city is Sydney. However, for the first time in more than a century, that answer has now changed—Melbourne has claimed the No. 1 spot in the eyes of the government, reports the BBC . For the...
'AK-47' That Prompted Panic
Was Something Very Different
Mar 30, 2023 11:37 AM CDT
'AK-47' That Prompted Panic Was Something Very Different
Police in New South Wales, Australia, say 'weapon' they found in car was actually just a bong
- There was a bit of panic in Australia this week, after Sydney locals reported the sighting of a man carrying a frightening-looking assault rifle—but all was not what it seemed. The BBC reports that 911 calls started pouring in late Wednesday afternoon from the northwest side of the city,...
He Meant to Go to SYD,
Booked Ticket to SDY
Feb 18, 2023 9:00 AM CST
He Meant to Go to SYD, Booked Ticket to SDY
Kingsley Burnett intended to go to Australia, wound up in Montana
- JFK. LAX. Some airport codes are burned into our collective memory. The airport code for Sydney, Australia, not so much. That turned out to be highly problematic for one New York man, who booked a flight to that city Down Under and planned to depart on a cruise from it....
Source: Police Have Theory
in Saudi Sisters' Deaths
Aug 4, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Source: Police Have Theory in Saudi Sisters' Deaths
Law enforcement source says toxicology reports point to suicide
- Interim toxicology reports suggest two Saudi sisters found dead in their beds in Australia ingested substances as part of a suicide pact. That's according to a senior police source who spoke anonymously to the
. "It really does appear to be a tragic suicide," the source...
Police Perplexed by Case of
Sisters Found Dead in Beds
Jul 29, 2022 1:02 AM CDT
Police Perplexed by Case of Sisters Found Dead in Beds
Saudi women were found in their Sydney, Australia, apartment
- Asra Abdullah Alsehli, 24, and Amaal Abdullah Alsehli, 23, moved to Sydney, Australia, from their native Saudi Arabia in 2017, possibly as asylum seekers, though that has not been officially confirmed. On June 7, they were found dead in their beds, each in their own bedroom, at their apartment. Sydney...
'I Pushed a Bloke.
He Went Over the Edge'
May 2, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
'I Pushed a Bloke. He Went Over the Edge'
Australian court hears confession in 1988 murder of American Scott Johnson
- A man told police he killed American mathematician Scott Johnson in 1988 by pushing the 27-year-old off a Sydney cliff in what prosecutors describe as a gay hate crime, a court heard on Monday. Scott White, 51, appeared in the New South Wales state Supreme Court for a sentencing hearing...
Qantas Announces Big Move
Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
May 2, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Qantas Announces Big Move Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
Airline will offer direct flights from Sydney to London, New York starting in 2025
- The journey from Sydney to London once took nearly 60 hours and consisted of seven stops along the way. Now, an update from Qantas on that front, via what it calls its "Project Sunrise." Australia's flagship airline announced Monday that in 2025 it will debut a nonstop...
Victim of Brutal
Feb 17, 2022 7:55 AM CST
Victim of Brutal Shark Attack Is Identified
It was the first fatal attack in Sydney, Australia, since 1963
The victim of Sydney's first fatal shark attack in nearly 60 years has been identified as 35-year-old diving instructor Simon Nellist. ABC notes Nellist's "social media is filled with underwater pictures, showing him as an avid ocean lover." It's thought Nellist, who the BBC...
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988.
34 Years Later, an Admission
Jan 20, 2022 3:35 PM CST
He Plunged From Cliff in 1988. 34 Years Later, an Admission
Australia's Scott White confesses in court to killing American Scott Johnson
An Australian man has admitted to murdering an American mathematician who fell to his death from a cliff in Sydney in 1988, reports the AP . Scott White admitted in court that he killed Scott Johnson, whose death was initially ruled a suicide. The 27-year-old Johnson was gay, and prosecutors...
For Australia's Biggest City,
It's COVID 'Freedom Day'
Oct 11, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
For Australia's Biggest City, It's COVID 'Freedom Day'
Sydney ends lockdown after more than 100 days
- Shops of all kinds were bustling in Australia's largest city on Monday for the first time in more than 100 days. Sydney lifted restrictions for fully vaccinated residents after reaching the milestone of having 70% of adults fully dosed, reports the AP . A post at New Scientist describes it...
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders
Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Sep 15, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Homeless and jobless, Darko Desic was done sleeping on an Australian beach
- An unfortunate consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic is that many people have been turned out of their homes. Fortunately for Australian authorities, one of those people is a 29-year fugitive who decided he'd rather have a roof over his head, even if it was in prison. Darko Desic had...
Australia Brings in Military
to Enforce Sydney Lockdown
Jul 30, 2021 10:48 AM CDT
Australia Brings in Military to Enforce Sydney Lockdown
PM unveils 4-step plan to reopen country
- In Australia's biggest city, the fight against a COVID outbreak that spread from an unmasked airport limo driver is not going well. The five-week Sydney lockdown was recently extended for another month and with case numbers remaining stubbornly high, the military is being called in to enforce restrictions, CNN...
Australia's Biggest City
Will Be Locked Down
for Another Month
Jul 28, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Australia's Biggest City Will Be Locked Down for Another Month
South Korea, Thailand report record numbers of new COVID cases
- Australia’s largest city, Sydney, will remain in lockdown for another month. The New South Wales state government announced that the lockdown of the city of 5 million would last at least until Aug. 28, after reporting on Wednesday 177 new infections in the latest 24-hour period, the AP reports....
This Is One of the Weirder
COVID Penalties Yet
Jun 28, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
This Is One of the Weirder COVID Penalties Yet
In Australia, 2 naked sunbathers were spooked by a deer, then fined by police
- In the annals of COVID rule breaches, this one is tough to beat for weirdness. Police near Sydney, Australia, say two naked sunbathers on a beach were spooked by a deer and ran into the nearby bushland before calling for help, reports the BBC . Police rescued the men, then promptly...
Sydney Now in
Jun 24, 2021 2:53 AM CDT
Sydney Now in 'Scariest Period' of Pandemic
Delta variant has infected dozens, including New South Wales government minister
- Sydney is going through one the "scariest" times of the pandemic as a cluster of the highly contagious Delta variant infects more people, an Australian state leader said on Thursday. New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she tested negative for the coronavirus after state Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall...
Light Plane Carrying Baby
Makes Emergency Landing
May 26, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Light Plane Carrying Baby Makes Emergency Landing
Pilot, wife, and 1-year-old son were unharmed after plane experienced engine trouble over Sydney
- Beachgoers along the northern Sydney shoreline got quite a surprise Wednesday as they strolled along the sand. Per the
, one eyewitness told a radio station it was around 2pm local time at Collaroy Beach, with "not a cloud in the sky," when an odd sight suddenly floated...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
Serial Killer's Wife Goes on Trial for Decades-Old Murders
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.