Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Open Tennis
Stories 21 - 40 |
Sep 11, 2021 6:00 PM CDT
Raducanu Takes Youthful Final
18-year-old champ completes US Open run without losing a set
- Emma Raducanu and Leylah Fernandez delivered a gritty, intense women's final Saturday at the US Open, with Raducanu prevailing, 6-4, 6-3. The British 18-year-old is the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam title in the Open era, the
reports. She was so dominant during her tournament...
Stunning Runs Set Up
All-Teen US Open Final
Sep 10, 2021 3:51 AM CDT
Stunning Runs Set Up All-Teen US Open Final
Leylah Fernandez, Emma Raducanu are making tennis history
- Stunning runs from two teenagers born two months apart in 2002 have set up a historic US Open final. Canada's Leylah Fernandez, who turned 19 on Monday, beat world No. 2 Aryna Sabalenka on Thursday night,
reports. Her route to the final also involved knocking out world...
Tennis Stars Describe
'Never Ending' Abuse
Sep 7, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Tennis Stars Describe 'Never Ending' Abuse
Americans Shelby Rogers, Sloane Stephens speak out
- It's not just Naomi Osaka who's making clear the various pressures placed on athletes at the US Open : American Shelby Rogers on Monday said she was preparing to receive "nine million death threats" on social media following her fourth-round loss to Britain's Emma Raducanu. Rogers was...
Isn't Sure When
Sep 4, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Tearful Osaka Isn't Sure When She'll Play Tennis Again
Saying she's dealing with issues, star plans a break after US Open upset
- Tennis star Naomi Osaka isn't sure what to do. "When I win, I don't feel happy. I feel more like a relief. And then when I lose, I feel very sad," she said after losing at the US Open on Friday night. "I don't...
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool
—and US Open Title
Sep 4, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool —and US Open Title
Defending champ lost to an 18-year-old ranked 73rd
- Naomi Osaka smacked her racket against Arthur Ashe Stadium’s court. Moments later, she chucked her equipment, sending it bouncing and skidding halfway to the net. Then came a full-on spike near the baseline, per the AP . Osaka’s game was off. Her composure was gone. By the end,...
Returns to Boos
Sep 2, 2021 12:39 PM CDT
Tennis Star Takes Another Long Break, Returns to Boos
Another of Stefanos Tsitsipas' opponents calls for rule change
- Stefanos Tsitsipas is sticking to his lengthy bathroom breaks, despite Andy Murray's fury . The Greek tennis star defeated France's Adrian Mannarino in four sets to reach the third round of the US Open on Wednesday, but only after leaving the court for more than seven minutes and returning...
Aug 31, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Andy Murray Seething Over Foe's Bathroom Break
He accuses Stefanos Tsitsipas of abusing breaks after US Open loss
- Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray is calling for a change to tennis rules following his first-round loss at the US Open on Monday, which he blamed on his opponent's strategic breaks. Greece's Stefanos Tsitsipas was down two sets to one when he took "an opportune medical...
Sep 13, 2020 7:50 PM CDT
Thiem Defies History With US Open Comeback
The Austrian was down by 2 sets against Alexander Zverev of Germany
- At US Open unlike any other, Dominic Thiem constructed a comeback the likes of which hadn't been seen in 71 years, the AP reports. After dropping the opening two sets against Alexander Zverev on Sunday at a nearly empty Arthur Ashe Stadium—fans were banned because of the coronavirus...
Win US Open
Sep 12, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Naomi Osaka Tames 'Bad Attitude' to Win US Open
The 22-year-old from Japan beats Victoria Azarenka in a comeback victory
- After one errant forehand in the first set of the US Open final, Naomi Osaka looked at her coach in the mostly empty Arthur Ashe Stadium stands with palms up, as if to say, "What the heck is happening?" In response to another wayward forehand against Victoria Azarenka seconds...
US Open Adjusts to
Sep 7, 2020 1:15 PM CDT
US Open Adjusts to Post-Handshake Era
Chair umpires get their shoe tapped when a match ends
- When he was disqualified from the US Open for unintentionally hitting a line judge with a ball after losing a point, Novak Djokovic walked to the sideline and extended his right arm toward his foe, Pablo Carreño Busta. Carreño Busta didn't hesitate to grasp Djokovic's hand,...
Booted Djokovic Sorry for
Hitting Line Judge With Ball
Sep 7, 2020 5:11 AM CDT
Booted Djokovic Sorry for Hitting Line Judge With Ball
'So unintended. So wrong,' tennis star says
- Novak Djokovic apologized Sunday after he was kicked out of the US Open for accidentally hitting a line judge in the throat with a tennis ball after dropping a game in his fourth-round match, a stunning end to his 29-match winning streak and bid for an 18th Grand Slam title....
US Open's Top Seed
Booted for Hitting Judge
Sep 6, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
US Open's Top Seed Booted for Hitting Judge
Novak Djokovic can see the rest of it on TV
- Top-seeded Novak Djokovic was defaulted from his fourth-round match at the US Open after he accidentally hit a line judge in the neck with a tennis ball Sunday, the AP reports. It was a stunning end to Djokovic’s bid for an 18th Grand Slam title and his 26-0 start...
Serena Seeks Trio of
Records at US Open
Sep 1, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Serena Seeks Trio of Records at US Open
But many top-ranked seeds are sitting out
- For Serena Williams, the chase has been long. She's been one Grand Slam win behind Margaret Court's all-time record for 44 months, ever since winning the 2017 Australian Open while pregnant. In four Slam finals since—two at Wimbledon, two in New York—she's finished runner-up. But...
Will Skip US Open
Aug 4, 2020 4:42 PM CDT
Defending Champ Will Skip US Open
'The situation is very complicated worldwide,' Rafael Nadal says
- Defending champion Rafael Nadal will skip the US Open because of the coronavirus pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English on Tuesday. "The situation...
Cuomo Says US Open Can
Go Ahead Without Spectators
Jun 16, 2020 6:46 PM CDT
Cuomo Says US Open Can Go Ahead Without Spectators
'You can watch it on TV,' governor says
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo gave the go-ahead Tuesday for the US Open tennis tournament to be held in his state starting in late August—but without spectators—as part of the reopening from shutdowns caused by the pandemic, the AP reports. "You can watch it on TV, and...
Rafael Nadal Wins
Sep 9, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Rafael Nadal Wins 'Unforgettable' Final
Win over Daniil Medvedev didn't come easy
- Rafael Nadal's 19th Grand Slam trophy went from inevitable to suddenly in doubt in a thrill-a-minute US Open final. What had all the makings of a casual crowning morphed into a grueling contest thanks to Nadal's opponent, Daniil Medvedev, a man a decade younger and appearing in his...
Canadian Teen Keeps
Serena From a Milestone
Sep 7, 2019 5:19 PM CDT
Canadian Teen Keeps Serena From a Milestone
Bianca Andreescu wins US Open, depriving Williams of record-tying major win
- Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu built a big lead and then held on to upset Serena Williams 6-3, 7-5 in the US Open final for her first Grand Slam title. Andreescu's victory Saturday prevented Williams from claiming what would have been her record-tying 24th major singles championship, per the AP...
Federer Loses to 'Baby Fed'
Sep 4, 2019 12:30 AM CDT
Federer Loses to 'Baby Fed'
'Grigor was able to put me away,' he says after shock defeat
- Betrayed by his 38-year-old body, and his forehand, Roger Federer is done at the US Open. Federer's upper back and neck gave him trouble, he kept missing makeable shots, and he kept giving away the lead against a guy he'd never lost to. It all added up to...
World No. 1 Loses
to Bencic at US Open
Sep 3, 2019 12:58 AM CDT
World No. 1 Loses to Bencic at US Open
'I honestly didn't move well today,' Naomi Osaka says
- Naomi Osaka's achy left knee didn't let her serve without pain, so she didn't practice that key part of her game leading into the US Open. The knee also prevented her from covering the court and preparing for shots the way she'd like. Those weren't...
Tennis Player Made Gun
Gesture With His Racket
Sep 2, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Tennis Player Made Gun Gesture With His Racket
Mike Bryan is fined $10K after ill-advised gesture toward line ref
- Mike Bryan may have won the point, but it proved an expensive one: At the US Open on Sunday, the American doubles player appealed a call made by a line ref, won the reversal, then turned his racket around to mimic a gun he pretended to fire at said...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.