Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
University of Michigan
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Looked at Galileo 'Treasure'
Online, Grew Concerned
Aug 19, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
He Looked at Galileo 'Treasure' Online, Grew Concerned
University of Michigan confirms its Galileo manuscript is fake
- The University of Michigan Library touted a single piece of paper as one of its "great treasures." The draft of a letter signed with the name Galileo Galilei was followed by sketches of the moons Galileo observed around Jupiter in 1610, an observation that upended the long-held notion...
Med Students Walk Out of
Own Induction Ceremony
Jul 26, 2022 12:28 PM CDT
Med Students Walk Out of Own Induction Ceremony
U of Michigan students were protesting pro-life speaker Kristin Collier
- Dozens of incoming medical students at the University of Michigan walked out of their induction ceremony last weekend in protest of a keynote speaker who opposes abortion. Dr. Kristin Collier, an assistant professor of medicine who directs the medical school's program on health, spirituality and religion, has expressed her...
Michigan Coach Suspended
After Brawl With Wisconsin
Feb 21, 2022 7:15 PM CST
Michigan Coach Suspended After Brawl With Wisconsin
Juwan Howard will be back in time for the conference tournament
This story has been updated with the announcement of punishments.
After the University of Michigan lost to the University of Wisconsin in a Sunday night men's basketball game, things got ugly in the handshake line. Michigan coach Juwan Howard exchanged angry words and gestures with Wisconsin coach Greg...
of Abuse to Cost
Jan 19, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Doctor's Decades of Abuse to Cost University of Michigan $490M
Settlement reached over sex assaults at hands of Dr. Robert Anderson
- The University of Michigan has agreed to a $490 million settlement with more than 1,000 people, mostly men, who say they were sexually assaulted by Dr. Robert Anderson during his nearly four-decade career as a sports doctor at the school. The university on Wednesday said 1,050 people will...
University President Fired For
Jan 16, 2022 9:30 AM CST
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Mark Schlissel has been removed as president of the University of Michigan
- The president of the University of Michigan has been fired by the school's board of regents following an investigation into an alleged “inappropriate relationship with a university employee. Per the
Detroit Free Press
, Dr. Mark Schlissel was removed by a unanimous vote announced Saturday evening following a Dec....
CDC Investigates 'Unusual'
Flu Outbreak at University
Nov 16, 2021 4:06 PM CST
CDC Investigates 'Unusual' Flu Outbreak at University
University of Michigan surge in cases could be a sign of things to come for the rest of country
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention experts have been sent to the University of Michigan's Ann Arbor campus to learn more about a surge in flu cases—and what it might mean for the rest of the country as flu season approaches. Some 528 cases have been diagnosed at...
Calls Begin to
Take Down Statue
of Storied Coach
Jun 11, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Calls Begin to Take Down Statue of Storied Coach
Bo Schembechler's son would support the move
- As the University of Michigan confronts the sexual abuse athletes said they were subjected to by a football team doctor decades ago, reconsideration of famed coach Bo Schembechler's legacy will be included. The coach's son has said he told his father he'd been abused in 1969. Matt...
Famed Coach's Son Says
He Told Dad of Abuse in 1969
Jun 10, 2021 6:54 AM CDT
Famed Coach's Son Says He Told Dad of Abuse in 1969
Matt Schembechler says father ignored abuse by Robert Anderson at University of Michigan
- A son of legendary University of Michigan football coach Bo Schembechler was among the hundreds of men who were sexually assaulted by a campus doctor , he told the
Detroit Free Press
on Wednesday. Matt Schembechler said Dr. Robert Anderson fondled his genitals and digitally penetrated him during a routine physical...
University of Michigan
Students Told to
Shelter in Place
Oct 21, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
University of Michigan Students Told to Shelter in Place
Order comes amid spike in COVID cases, though athletes are exempt
- Campus life will play out in dorm rooms over the next 14 days at the University of Michigan, which is now under a stay-at-home order. University officials announced the two-week mandate on Tuesday, saying social gatherings on campus were "the main cause of recent COVID-19 spread on campus, in...
by What This
School Is Doing
Feb 22, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Nassar Victim: I'm 'Horrified' by What This School Is Doing
Former gymnast Rachael Denhollander slams the University of Michigan over allegations there
- The first woman who publicly accused Michigan State sports doctor Larry Nassar of sexual abuse said she is "horrified," and "deeply disappointed" with the University of Michigan for how it has handled allegations of abuse by a doctor at that school. The university announced earlier this week...
Olympic Wrestler Says
University Doctor Abused Him
Feb 21, 2020 12:35 AM CST
Olympic Wrestler Says University Doctor Abused Him
Andy Hrovat adds to allegations against Michigan doctor
- An Olympic wrestler on Thursday accused a University of Michigan doctor of touching him inappropriately during medical exams at the school and said the physician's reputation for such conduct was well known among his teammates. Andy Hrovat, who competed for the US in the 2008 Summer Olympics, tells the...
Michigan Investigating Alleged
Sex Abuse by Team's Ex-Doctor
Feb 19, 2020 4:15 PM CST
Michigan Investigating Alleged Sex Abuse by Team's Ex-Doctor
Several people have made allegations involving Robert E. Anderson, who died in 2008
- After an alumnus sent the University of Michigan an essay in July 2018, the school launched an investigation. In "My Michigan Me-too Moment, 1971," Julian Stone had written about being sexually abused in the 1970s during medical exams by Robert E. Anderson, a physician for the school's...
Sorority Apologizes for
Triggering Shooter Alert
Mar 26, 2019 12:59 AM CDT
Sorority Apologizes for Triggering Shooter Alert
They popped balloons during vigil for NZ victims
- A University of Michigan sorority whose members popped balloons as part of a team-building event has apologized for triggering an "active shooter" alert on campus. The balloon popping occurred March 16, at the same time a vigil was being held nearby for victims of the New Zealand mosque attacks...
Auschwitz Inmates' Song Tells
of 'Most Beautiful Time of Life'
Nov 27, 2018 11:41 AM CST
Auschwitz Inmates' Song Tells of 'Most Beautiful Time of Life'
It's been recorded for first time since WWII
- Patricia Hall went to the Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum in 2016 hoping to learn more about the music performed by prisoners in World War II death camps. The University of Michigan music theory professor heard there were manuscripts, but she was "completely thrown" by what she found in the card catalogs:...
NCAA Title to
Be a Slugfest
Apr 1, 2018 5:35 AM CDT
Cinderella Vanquished, NCAA Title to Be a Slugfest
Villanova is just dropping unstoppable 3-point bombs, will take on Michigan in final
- Michigan has shored up the deficiency that always held it back, becoming one of the nation's best defensive teams, not one of its worst. This new-found stinginess has the Wolverines within reach of their first national title since Glen Rice and Rumeal Robinson rumbled through the bracket in 1989,...
Actually Be a
Aug 1, 2017 5:44 PM CDT
Talking to Yourself Can Actually Be a Good Thing
When done in your head, in the third person
- Talking to yourself doesn't mean you're crazy. In fact, the habit might be downright smart. That's the takeaway from a new study in
, which involved two separate experiments. In the first, researchers at Michigan State University and the University of Michigan monitored the brain activity...
No One Inside
Mar 21, 2017 12:25 PM CDT
Plane Crashes in Canada—With No One Inside
Search is on for missing University of Michigan student
- A University of Michigan student has seemingly vanished after the wreckage of a small plane he rented was found with no one inside. The unidentified graduate student was last seen renting a single-engine Cessna 172 registered to University of Michigan Flyers Inc. at Ann Arbor Airport last Wednesday, reports Wawa-news....
Racially Charged Incidents
Continue at US Universities
Nov 12, 2016 5:56 PM CST
Racially Charged Incidents Continue at US Universities
Student suspended over racist group chat targeting black college freshmen
- A student at the University of Oklahoma has been temporarily suspended and police are investigating a threat against a Muslim student near the University of Michigan amid racially charged outbursts at schools and universities across the country following Donald Trump's presidential election, the AP reports. University of Oklahoma president...
Costs It 50% Off
Oct 10, 2016 9:41 AM CDT
Restaurant's Wager Costs It 50% Off Customer Tabs
Ruth's Chris offers percent off based on Michigan game's point differential—which was 78 points
- No one expected the University of Michigan to blow out Rutgers so utterly and completely during Saturday night's football game—least of all the Ann Arbor location of one of the country's most high-end restaurants. Now in its Monday morning quarterback role, Ruth's Chris Steak House is...
College Student Expelled
Over Sexual Misconduct Sues
Sep 7, 2016 6:39 PM CDT
College Student Expelled Over Sexual Misconduct Sues
He says University of Michigan needed to define 'intoxicated' vs. 'incapacitated'
- An unnamed University of Michigan student expelled in June for violating the school's sexual misconduct policy is suing, Courthouse News Service reports. The student says he was only 13.5 credits shy of his degree when a University of Michigan appeals board ousted him based on an "unconstitutionally...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tagovailoa Speaks on His Latest Hard Hit
Trump Reacts to NYT Reporter's New Book: She's a 'Creep'
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Woman's Mysterious Death Was 'Deliberate and Personal'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.