Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
of the Year
May 24, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
This Week Brings Biggest Asteroid Flyby of the Year
Those with telescopes may be able to see 7335
- Sky watchers of the professional and amateur varieties are keeping an eye on the heavens this week to spot a giant asteroid zipping by. The rock dubbed 7335 (1989 JA) will be closest to Earth on Friday, reports Live Science . This one just happens to be the largest asteroid expected...
NASA: Fireball Over South Was
10 Times Brighter Than Moon
Apr 29, 2022 5:01 AM CDT
NASA: Fireball Over South Was 10 Times Brighter Than Moon
Chunk of asteroid exploded over Louisiana
- NASA has confirmed that a fireball seen over three Southern states this week was a piece of an asteroid around a foot across that exploded 34 miles above a swampy area in Louisiana. The agency says around 30 people in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana reported sightings. The meteor, which weighed...
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died
on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Apr 7, 2022 12:23 PM CDT
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Leg was among many finds at North Dakota site that preserved the 'death blow'
- The asteroid that hit the Earth around 66 million years ago brought an abrupt end to the Cretaceous period—and to the life of a
dinosaur whose incredibly well-preserved leg was found at a North Dakota site. Researchers say they can pinpoint the day of the dinosaur's death...
He Discovered an
in case you missed it
Mar 20, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
He Discovered an Asteroid—Then Its Earth-Bound Path
It soon after struck Earth's atmosphere over Norwegian sea, as NASA system predicted
- An asteroid was spotted for the first time Friday only about two hours before it entered into Earth's atmosphere. NASA's early warning system that detects near-Earth objects was put to the test after astronomer Krisztián Sarneczky at the Piszkésteto Observatory in northern Hungary notified the Minor...
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads
to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
Nov 27, 2021 8:00 AM CST
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
In India, topical steroid creams that lighten skin cause painful side effects
- Since 2018, you shouldn't be able to buy a "fairness cream" over the counter in India. That was the year the government required that 14 topical steroid creams be made available only with a doctor's prescription. And yet CNN was recently able to purchase four types of...
Is Now On
Its Way to
Nov 24, 2021 6:32 AM CST
NASA Rocket Is Now On Its Way to Dimorphos
Spacecraft has launched on mission to slam into asteroid, knock it off course
NASA's experiment to have a spacecraft smash into an asteroid is underway, but we won't know if it's successful for about a year. The
reports that the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, part of the agency's DART mission to slam into the Dimorphos space rock,...
Odds on Asteroid
Hit Going Up
Aug 12, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Odds on Asteroid Hit Going Up
It's still very unlikely Bennu will strike in the next century
- The good news is that scientists have a better handle on asteroid Bennu's whereabouts for the next 200 years. The bad news is that the space rock considered one of the two most hazardous known asteroids in our solar system has a slightly greater chance of clobbering Earth than...
For Dinosaurs, Asteroid
Was Just a Final Blow
Jul 1, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
For Dinosaurs, Asteroid Was Just a Final Blow
Study suggests species were struggling before the big collision
- You've heard how an asteroid strike 66 million years ago wiped out the dinosaurs . But there's more to the story, according to a new study, which suggests non-avian dinosaurs weren't doing so hot before sulfates and dust filled the atmosphere—some 10 million years before, in fact....
It Killed the Dinosaurs, but Then
It Gave Birth to Something Else
Apr 6, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
It Killed the Dinosaurs, but Then It Gave Birth to Something Else
You can thank the Chicxulub impact for our modern rainforests: study
- We owe a lot to the asteroid impact that killed the dinosaurs 66 million years ago. For one thing, it gave us the lush tropical rainforests that help keep our planet healthy. That's according to a first-of-its-kind study published Friday in
that looks at the effects of the...
NASA Nicks Near-Earth
Asteroid From 'Risk List'
Mar 28, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
NASA Nicks Near-Earth Asteroid From 'Risk List'
We're safe for 100 years
- Whew, now here's some good cosmic news: NASA has given Earth the all clear for the next century from a particularly menacing asteroid, per the AP . The space agency announced this week that new telescope observations have ruled out any chance of Apophis smacking Earth in 2068. That’...
Asteroid 'Firework' Exploded
With Force of 440lbs of TNT
Mar 10, 2021 7:28 AM CST
Asteroid 'Firework' Exploded With Force of 440lbs of TNT
It was seen from 4 US states and Canada
- People in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, and Quebec, Canada, claim to have witnessed an asteroid breaking up in the sky on Sunday, which turned out to be rattling. Many people reported hearing a rumble or sonic boom as a 10-pound bowling ball-sized chunk of an asteroid—traveling at...
Japan Describes What
It Got From That Asteroid
Dec 24, 2020 7:42 AM CST
Japan Describes What It Got From That Asteroid
Chips that look like charcoal
- They resemble small fragments of charcoal, but the soil samples collected from an asteroid and returned to Earth by a Japanese spacecraft were hardly disappointing. The samples Japanese space officials described Thursday are as big as 0.4 inches and rock hard, not breaking when picked up or poured into...
Japan Thrilled About
'Treasure Box' From Space
Dec 7, 2020 11:14 AM CST
Japan Thrilled About 'Treasure Box' From Space
Capsule with material from asteroid was successfully dropped to Earth
- China's mission to retrieve moon rocks isn't the only successful space feat in the news these days. A small capsule containing asteroid soil samples that was dropped from 136,700 miles in space by Japan's Hayabusa2 spacecraft landed as planned in the Australian Outback on Sunday, per...
Asteroid Thought to Be Worth
Oct 30, 2020 12:26 PM CDT
Asteroid Thought to Be Worth $10,000,000,000,000,000,000
16 Psyche thought to be massive chunk of iron and nickel
- Somewhere between Mars and Jupiter is a potato-shaped space rock possibly worth way more than the entire economy of Earth. Italian astronomer Annibale de Gasparis discovered the Massachusetts-sized asteroid known as 16 Psyche lurking in the main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter in 1852, per Fox News . New observations...
NASA: Asteroid Mission Is
'Victim of Our Own Success'
Oct 24, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
NASA: Asteroid Mission Is 'Victim of Our Own Success'
The Osiris-Rex spacecraft gobbles up too much rubble
- A NASA spacecraft is stuffed with so much asteroid rubble from this week’s grab that it's jammed open and precious particles are drifting away in space, scientists said Friday. Scientists announced the news three days after the spacecraft named Osiris-Rex briefly touched asteroid Bennu, NASA's first attempt...
NASA Heads for
a 'Historic First'
Oct 20, 2020 7:17 AM CDT
NASA Heads for a 'Historic First'
OSIRIS-REx will attempt to grab sample from asteroid Bennu
- NASA is finally ready to snatch at an asteroid. After two years of orbiting the near-Earth asteroid Bennu, as tall as the Empire State Building, NASA's OSIRIS-REx spacecraft will touch down Tuesday in the first US attempt to gather asteroid samples. Over 4.5 hours, the SUV-sized spacecraft will...
Asteroid Coming Our
Way on Election Eve,
but You Can Ignore It
Aug 24, 2020 8:10 AM CDT
Asteroid Coming Our Way on Election Eve, but You Can Ignore It
Little 2018VP1 won't hurt us
- The headlines are irresistible: "Asteroid headed for Earth the day before Election Day" ( Fox13 ) and "NASA: Asteroid headed toward Earth before November election" (the Hill ). And they are technically true: An asteroid named 2018VP1 is indeed heading our way, and it will be closest on...
One Thing That Doomed
Dinosaurs: a Bad Angle
May 26, 2020 7:31 PM CDT
One Thing That Doomed Dinosaurs: a Bad Angle
Asteroid's steep trajectory caused maximum damage
- Dinosaurs might still be roaming the Earth today if not for an incredible run of bad luck 66 million years ago. Researchers had already determined that the city-sized asteroid that hit the planet, leading to the mass extinction, struck at the exact wrong place at the exact wrong time . Scientists...
Does Its Fly-by
Apr 29, 2020 8:23 AM CDT
Mask-Wearing Asteroid Does Its Fly-by
The rock known as 52768 (1998 OR2) got within about 3.9M miles of Earth
- The mask-wearing asteroid that so amused scientists has made its pass by Earth, albeit at a great distance. NASA reports the closest approach of the 1.2-mile-wide rock known as 52768 (1998 OR2) was set to happen at 5:55am ET some 3,908,791 miles from Earth, or more...
Asteroid for Our Times?
Astronomers Are Amused
Apr 27, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
Asteroid for Our Times? Astronomers Are Amused
One making a flyby this week appears to be wearing a mask, says observatory
- The Earth is getting a visitor from afar this week—an asteroid by the name of 1998 OR2. Earthlings have no need to worry, however, because the asteroid will be about 4 million miles away when it makes its closest approach on Wednesday, reports Live Science . Still, that's close...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.