Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
After Powerball Drawing,
You're Still Not a Billionaire
Nov 6, 2022 6:05 AM CST
After Powerball Drawing, You're Still Not a Billionaire
Nobody had a winning ticket, pushing the record jackpot on Monday to $1.9B and counting
- In another universe, you might have played the Powerball Saturday and picked the numbers 28, 45, 53, 56, 69 with a Powerball of 20. However, that bit of luck did not happen for you or anyone else who played the record $1.6 billion lottery, reports Fox Business . For the...
Is Now a Record
Nov 4, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Powerball Jackpot Is Now a Record
Drawing Saturday night will be for $1.6B
- The Powerball jackpot is now a mind-boggling $1.6 billion, which the AP notes is the biggest lottery prize ever. The next drawing is Saturday night. For the record, a lucky winner who opts for the cash payout would get about $782 million. Also for the record, your odds of...
Just Keeps Swelling
Nov 1, 2022 5:19 AM CDT
Powerball Jackpot Just Keeps Swelling
No, you didn't win Monday night; next drawing is Wednesday night
- There were no big treats from the Halloween night Powerball drawing, as none of the tickets sold matched all six numbers, the AP reports. The lack of a winner means the next drawing Wednesday night will be for a massive $1.2 billion jackpot. The winning numbers drawn Monday were:...
How Does a
Oct 31, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
How Does a $1B Powerball Prize Sound?
Because that's the updated estimate for Monday's drawing after no one won on Saturday
- If you thought you'd be hurling virtual daggers at some lucky stranger who won the $825 million Powerball drawing held over the weekend, put them away until at least Tuesday morning. That's because no one won the Saturday jackpot, meaning the kitty for Monday night's drawing has...
Airline Gets Creative in Getting
Travelers to Take Middle Seat
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 29, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Airline Gets Creative in Getting Travelers to Take Middle Seat
Virgin Australia launches $147K lottery, with prizes each week for those who sit in least desirable spots
- Is there ever anyone who actually
the middle seat during a flight? If there is, we haven't met them, but that may soon change thanks to some coaxing on the matter by Virgin Australia. Per a recent social media poll offered by the airline, a paltry 0.6%...
You Might Want to Grab a
Ticket for Saturday's Powerball
Oct 29, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
You Might Want to Grab a Ticket for Saturday's Powerball
Prize is set for $825M, which will be 2nd-largest ever for the game if someone wins
- If you're feeling particularly lucky this weekend, you may want to pick up a Powerball ticket. CNN reports that officials from the Multi-State Lottery Association have bumped up the prize for Saturday night's drawing in Tallahassee, Fla., from a paltry $800 million to $825 million (cash value: $410....
His $30M in Lottery Wins
Came With a Big Catch
Oct 23, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
His $30M in Lottery Wins Came With a Big Catch
'Atlantic' tells the troubled tale of Michigan's Viktor Gjonaj, now broke and in jail
- Talk to Viktor Gjonaj, and he'll swear he cracked the lottery system. Starting in 2017, the Michigan real estate broker began collecting pot after pot from daily drawings in the state lottery—nearly $30 million in all, recounts Jeff Maysh in the
. His "system" is a complicated...
The Odds of This Lottery
Outcome Are Just Insane
Oct 4, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
The Odds of This Lottery Outcome Are Just Insane
433 to share jackpot in Philippines after Saturday's unusual draw
- Individuals who purchased winning tickets for a $4 million lottery jackpot in the Philippines will have to settle for less than $10,000 each following Saturday's controversial draw. A total of 433 people selected the winning combination in the Grand Lotto lottery, which was highly unusual. The six numbers—...
Winners of $1.34B
Mega Millions Jackpot
'Over the Moon'
Sep 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Winners of $1.34B Mega Millions Jackpot 'Over the Moon'
Illinois pair finally steps forward to claim prize, is choosing to stay anonymous
Mystery solved—kind of. Until this week, it wasn't clear if the person(s) who'd won the second-biggest Mega Millions lottery ever, a staggering $1.34 billion jackpot, knew they'd purchased the winning ticket in Illinois, let alone who that was. Now, at least the first half...
Guy's Joke About Lottery
Win Proves a Prescient One
Sep 3, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Guy's Joke About Lottery Win Proves a Prescient One
Charles Smith of Newport News, Va., joked with wife he'd hit it big, then won nearly $230K
- Charles Smith is probably joking about a lot more these days. That's because a wisecrack he made to his wife earlier this summer turned out to be prescient, and he's now nearly $230,000 richer, per WAVY . The man from Newport News, Va., was saying goodbye one day...
Delaware Man Has Unusual
Luck With Maryland Lottery
Aug 13, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Delaware Man Has Unusual Luck With Maryland Lottery
Duane Ketterman, who travels for work, has racked up $50K from 2 separate winnings in 5 weeks
- It was Duane Ketterman's lucky day—and then it was his lucky day again, just five weeks later. CNN reports that the man from Millsboro, Del., won the lottery in neighboring Maryland not once but twice in about a month's time, taking home nearly $50,000 in the...
Ride Is Over
Jul 30, 2022 8:24 AM CDT
Our Wild Mega Millions Ride Is Over
Winning ticket was sold in Illinois
- The next Mega Millions drawing is on Tuesday, and the jackpot will be a measly $20 million. That's because someone did indeed choose the six winning numbers for Friday night's drawing, and it's a singular someone, reports the AP . Only one ticket was sold with the numbers...
Mega Millions Jackpot Is
Now 2nd-Largest in Its History
Jul 29, 2022 6:54 AM CDT
Mega Millions Jackpot Is Now 2nd-Largest in Its History
Prize has swelled to $1.1B
- The Mega Millions jackpot for Friday's drawing has swelled to an estimated $1.1 billion, the second-largest in the game's history. It's second only to a $1.54 billion prize in 2018 and is the third-largest jackpot in American lottery history. The $1.1 billion would be...
10 Biggest Lottery
Jackpots in History
Jul 28, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
10 Biggest Lottery Jackpots in History
Current $1.1B Mega Millions prize would come in at No. 3, but it's still growing
- The Mega Millions jackpot has soared to $1.1 billion , making it the nation’s third largest lottery prize (and counting). The next drawing will take place Friday night. The prize has grown so large because it's been more than three months since anyone matched the game’s six...
Fast Food Owner Buying
50K Mega Millions Tickets
Jul 26, 2022 6:31 AM CDT
Fast Food Owner Buying 50K Mega Millions Tickets
That's one for each of his employees
- The Mega Millions jackpot is now at its fourth-highest amount ever: $810 million. Among those hoping to cash in on the massive winnings is the entire workforce of Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers. The owner of the fast food company is buying the equivalent of one ticket for each of...
Jul 23, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs to $790M
No one has matched all 6 numbers in the past 27 drawings
- Lottery officials on Friday raised the Mega Millions grand prize to $790 million, giving players a shot at what would be the nation's fourth-largest jackpot. The next drawing is on Tuesday, the AP reports. The jackpot has grown so large because there hasn't been a winner in three...
After 20 Years,
Lottery Club Wins
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
After 20 Years, Lottery Club Wins 'Life-Changing' Jackpot
Michigan co-workers took weeks to realize they had winning ticket
- After 20 years of playing together, members of a Michigan lottery club are getting a massive payday—but it took them a while to find out about it. The Lunch Bunch Crew lottery club won the $1.85 million jackpot in the June 18 Lotto 47 draw and opted to...
An Elite Lottery Lawyer
Needs a Lawyer Himself
Jul 16, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
An Elite Lottery Lawyer Needs a Lawyer Himself
Bloomberg profiles Jay Kurland, awaiting trial on wire fraud, money laundering charges
- Being filthy rich isn’t always easy, especially when the riches come in the form of a major lottery jackpot. Fortunately for those rare few who beat the mathematically implausible odds , there are “lottery lawyers” like Jay Kurland to guide them through the particulars of remaining anonymous, setting up...
Lottery Winner Credits
TV Show for His Luck
Jun 27, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Lottery Winner Credits TV Show for His Luck
South Carolina winner uses strategy from TLC program
- Odds are that most people who try this strategy are going to lose about $300. A South Carolina man, however, got lucky and won a $100,000 prize. And as CNN reports, the unidentified man credits the strategy he picked up while watching TLC's show
The Lottery Changed My
$10M Lottery Winner
Gets Life Without Parole
May 30, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
$10M Lottery Winner Gets Life Without Parole
Michael Todd Hill guilty of murdering Keonna Graham
: A North Carolina man who won a $10 million jackpot five years ago will never spend money as a free man again. Michael Todd Hill, 54, was convicted of first-degree murder Friday and sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole, the
News & Observer
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.