Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 7, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Beige Flags Have Entered the Online Dating Chat
Dating profiles are now subject to 'beige flag' scrutiny
- The latest TikTok obsession has added a new layer of stress to online dating. CNN explains the highly subjective conversation around beige flags, or benign preferences people observe in their relationships that aren't necessarily a deal breaker, but could be fatally irksome. Unlike red flags, clear warning signs...
Tinder's Invite-Only Club
Costs Nearly $500 a Month
Sep 30, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Tinder's Invite-Only Club Costs Nearly $500 a Month
The app's '1%' can shell out to join Tinder Select
- Tinder has rolled out an invite-only subscription plan to its super-users, but opting in will cost a pretty penny. Tinder Select, Bloomberg reports, runs up a $499 monthly bill and is being offered first to the site's most active users who fit certain profile criteria (multiple photos and interests,...
Here's One 'Dorky' Way to
Make Better Love Matches
Aug 6, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Here's One 'Dorky' Way to Make Better Love Matches
'Date-me docs' are online shareable documents that are similar to newspaper personal ads of yore
- If you're not getting the quality matches you want on your dating apps of choice, you might want to try something a little more "dorky." The
New York Times
reports on the trend of "date-me docs," shareable and view-only online documents (some with just text,...
He Got Engaged. Cops Say She
Went to 'Online Killers Market'
Jun 5, 2023 7:33 AM CDT
He Got Engaged. Cops Say She Went to 'Online Killers Market'
Tennessee woman accused of hiring hit man to take out wife of man she'd met on Match.com
- A Tennessee woman has been arrested after cops say she tried to hire a hit man to take out the wife of a guy she'd met through a dating site. ABC News reports that 47-year-old Melody Sasser allegedly sent about $10,000 in bitcoin to a dark web site...
May 3, 2023 2:57 PM CDT
Tinder to Russia: We're Done
Parent company Match Group is going to be out by June 30
- In addition to not being able to get their Pepsi , McDonald's , Netflix , and Starbucks , Russians now won't be able to swipe right or left on Tinder. As Quartz reports, the Match Group—which runs dating sites like Match.com, Tinder, Hinge, and PlentyofFish—has decided to call it...
Cops: Standoff With
Torture Suspect 'Resolved'
Feb 1, 2023 12:01 AM CST
Cops: Standoff With Torture Suspect 'Resolved'
Oregon police say Benjamin Foster has been taken into custody
- A standoff on Tuesday involving a man suspected in a violent kidnapping in Oregon who was barricaded underneath a home has been “resolved,” police said, per the AP . Grants Pass Police Lt. Jeff Hattersley told KTVL-TV Tuesday evening that Benjamin Obadiah Foster, 36, was underneath the house in...
Woman Duped Out of $30K
in Out-of-This-World Scam
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 15, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Woman Duped Out of $30K in Out-of-This-World Scam
Online lover convinced 65-year-old in Japan he was astronaut who needed cash to return to Earth
- Nigerian prince scams are so 1990s—welcome to the 21st century and the Russian cosmonaut scam. Kyodo News reports that police are looking into the claims of a 65-year-old woman in Japan's Shiga prefecture who said she fell in love with a man online who tricked her into...
Modern Dating Is Awful,
and It's Time to Fix It
Sep 29, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
Modern Dating Is Awful, and It's Time to Fix It
Essay in 'New York Times' suggests going retro in 3 fundamental ways
- The advent of online dating should in theory have made it so much easier for people to find partners. Then why are so many suffering from what Michal Leibowitz calls "dating app burnout" in a
New York Times
essay? By that, she means countless "dead-end interactions" despite an...
Their Own Dating App
Aug 11, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Conservatives Get Their Own Dating App
Sister of Kayleigh McEnany announces the 'Right Stuff'
- A conservative dating app with some big names behind it is launching next month, reports the Hill . In a promotional video for the Right Stuff, Ryann McEnany—sister of former White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany—announced the site "for all of us conservatives." She said it's...
Romance Scammer Posed
With Wads of Cash in Photos
May 5, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Romance Scammer Posed With Wads of Cash in Photos
New Jersey's Rubbin Sarpong is sentenced to 14 years in prison
- A New Jersey man just got sentenced to 14 years in prison over an online scam in which he tricked about 40 women on dating websites into sending him money. Prosecutors say one of the women killed herself after wiring him $93,000 and realizing she'd been duped, reports...
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets:
Seniors Catfished for $139M
Oct 22, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets: Seniors Catfished for $139M
FTC report says there was a 'surge' in 2020 in romance scams bamboozling Americans 60 and over
- Last month, the Department of Justice announced money laundering and wire fraud charges brought against nearly a dozen "romance scammers," and that's only scratching the surface of what the
calls a "surge" in such deceptions made worse by the pandemic, especially for the senior...
Chatting With Men Seeking
Ukrainian Wives Wasn't So Great
Aug 1, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Chatting With Men Seeking Ukrainian Wives Wasn't So Great
Veronika Melkozerova recounts job with matchmaking agency
- It's perhaps not the most typical job for a university student: pretending to be the female Ukrainian clients of a matchmaking agency. As Veronika Melkozerova explains for Vice , the then-21-year-old Ukrainian student took the job in 2012 and was given anemic details about two women looking for "Western...
Bumble's 'Resilient' Workers
All Get This Week Off, Paid
Jun 22, 2021 8:52 AM CDT
Bumble's 'Resilient' Workers All Get This Week Off, Paid
As 'a way to thank our team'
- Facilitating love matches is no walk in the park, especially during a pandemic, hence Bumble's worldwide staff is getting a paid "fully offline" vacation this week. The dating app, which requires women to make the first move, has closed all of its offices so its 700 employees can...
Cops Bust Dating Scam
in 'Operation Casanova'
Dec 18, 2020 4:05 PM CST
Cops Bust Dating Scam in 'Operation Casanova'
More than 2 dozen are under arrest in Italy, accused of scamming women online
- Their jobs as pilots, sea captains, military or Interpol officials kept them on the go, unable to meet the women they were wooing online in person. That would happen, they told their victims, but first, they needed money for an emergency, such as a child's illness. Police in Italy...
Police: Fake Dating Profile
Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Nov 27, 2020 1:28 PM CST
Police: Fake Dating Profile Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Suspect and victim have never met but have dated the same man
- The threatening texts and phone calls began in October. The 36-year-old Key West woman blocked the calls, only to have them start up again from other numbers. "You think texts are bad, next is your house and your job," Florida police said Vanessa Marie Huckaba told her at...
Match CEO: 'First Date'
May Be Forever Changed
Sep 15, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Match CEO: 'First Date' May Be Forever Changed
People are willing to date virtually only, and that could stick
- More and more relationships will be formed online and on dating apps, according to Shar Dubey, the CEO of Match Group, which owns Match.com, Tinder, OkCupid and Hinge. Speaking to Axios , Dubey says she expects "long-lasting, consequential changes" to the dating scene, even after the pandemic is over....
Study: Women Prefer
Men Without Cats
Jun 22, 2020 3:19 PM CDT
Study: Women Prefer Men Without Cats
'Cat men' seen as 'less masculine,' researchers say
- Single men who are hoping to land a girlfriend may want to keep images of their cats out of their dating profile, or so suggests a new study . Colorado State University researchers showed photos of two men—posed with and without a cat—to hundreds of women and found that...
Dec 30, 2019 6:18 AM CST
Sharon Stone Joins Bumble, Gets Blocked
Dating app thought actress' profile was a fake
- If Sharon Stone can't find love on Bumble, what hope is there for the rest of us? The 61-year-old
actress recently discovered that the first hurdle to clear on the dating app is to not get blocked in the first place, Mashable reports. "They closed my...
Hidden Danger of Dating
Apps: Sex Offenders
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 8, 2019 6:43 AM CST
Hidden Danger of Dating Apps: Sex Offenders
Investigation reveals how easy it is for predators to meet their victims on popular sites
- Women looking to meet a partner on a dating site would be well advised to read a new investigative piece with a disturbing takeaway: It's surprisingly easy for sex offenders—even those on criminal registries—to set up profiles and meet new victims. Anyone who relies on these sites...
Sep 27, 2019 10:44 AM CDT
FTC Accuses Match.com of Fraud
But site calls the claims 'outrageous'
- Catch someone's eye on Match.com? That someone was often a scammer, and the company knew it—at least according to an FTC lawsuit filed Wednesday, TechCruch reports. The FTC claims Match.com lured possible subscribers with emails saying another user was interested,
flagging that user as a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
The Financial Fallout Begins for Diddy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.