Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawsuit: Woman, 97,
Froze to Death in View of
Facility's Security Cameras
Jan 26, 2023 12:15 PM CST
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
Her body wasn't found until more than 5 hours after she wandered outside, lawsuit says
- The family of Mary Jo Staub paid $1,500 extra for heightened care for the 97-year-old at an assisted living facility in Colorado, a lawsuit states. But despite a warning to staff from one of her daughters that she was confused and hallucinating, she froze to death in full view...
Another Colorado Library
Shuts Due to Meth Levels
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 21, 2023 4:50 PM CST
Another Colorado Library Shuts Due to Meth Levels
Contamination found mostly in public restrooms
- For the second time in a month, a Colorado library has been forced to close due to meth contamination. This time it was in the Denver suburb of Englewood, the AP reports. Contamination in the city library's restrooms was found to exceed state thresholds last week, and the library...
Child Piano Prodigy
a Stunning Gift
Jan 13, 2023 7:21 AM CST
Stranger Gives Child Piano Prodigy a Stunning Gift
Bill Magnusson hopes to see Jude Kofie reach his full potential: 'He's Mozart level'
- Eleven-year-old Jude Kofie stunned his parents when he sat down at the family's electric keyboard about a year ago and started playing fabulously, despite having no instruction. The boy living with autism in Aurora, Colorado, seemed to have a gift, as professional piano tuner Bill Magnusson recognized when he...
'Violent' Avalanche Kills
University President's Son
Jan 5, 2023 2:12 PM CST
'Violent' Avalanche Kills University President's Son
Andy Feinstein says he dug himself out, sought help before Nick's body was found in Colorado
- A New Year's Eve avalanche fully buried the president of the University of Northern Colorado and his 22-year-old son, and the latter died. UNCO President Andy Feinstein says he and his son, Nick, were skiing in the backcountry beyond the boundaries of Breckenridge Ski Resort on Saturday when both...
Case' Reaches Its Conclusion
Jan 4, 2023 10:35 AM CST
'Real-Life Body-Snatching Case' Reaches Its Conclusion
Megan Hess sentenced to 20 years after pleading guilty to mail fraud
- Prosecutors said what victims perceived as Megan Hess' lack of remorse would be considered at her January sentencing, and it apparently was. The former Colorado funeral home operator faced up to 20 years after pleading guilty in July to a count of mail fraud tied to a scheme in which...
Woman Dies After Rideshare
Driver Leaves Her on Interstate
Jan 3, 2023 11:16 AM CST
Woman Dies After Rideshare Driver Leaves Her on Interstate
Woman was struck on busy road in Colorado
- A woman is dead following a hit-and-run on I-25 in Thornton, Colorado, a Denver suburb. The suspected driver is now under arrest, but as CBS News reports, many people—at least on social media—are "focusing their anger on the rideshare driver" who left the victim and her friends...
A Year Before Club Q Shooting,
Suspect's Bomb Threat
Case Was Dropped
Dec 9, 2022 12:50 AM CST
A Year Before Club Q Shooting, Suspect's Bomb Threat Case Was Dropped
The AP delves into what happened with accused mass shooter's 2021 case
- The Colorado Springs gay nightclub shooter had charges dropped in a 2021 bomb threat case after family members who were terrorized in the incident refused to cooperate, according to the district attorney and court documents unsealed Thursday. The charges were dropped despite authorities finding a “tub” full of bomb-making...
Club Q Suspect Slammed
With 305 Criminal Counts
Dec 6, 2022 11:37 AM CST
Club Q Suspect Slammed With 305 Criminal Counts
Anderson Lee Aldrich, 22, faces murder, hate crime charges after Colorado Springs shooting
- The suspect accused of entering a Colorado gay nightclub clad in body armor and opening fire with an AR-15-style rifle, killing five people and wounding at least 17 others, was charged by prosecutors Tuesday with 305 criminal counts, including hate crimes and murder. Anderson Lee Aldrich, 22, sat upright in...
Stumps in Colorado:
Dec 2, 2022 2:11 PM CST
Bovine Mystery Stumps in Colorado: 'We're Scratching Our Heads'
State wildlife officials don't know why dozens of cows, calves near Meeker have died since October
- Cattle are dying by the dozens in a tiny corner of Colorado, and it's left local wildlife authorities flummoxed. The
reports that, over the past two months, about 40 cows and calves have expired near the northwest town of Meeker, with a rancher there first reporting the deaths...
These Are the Best,
Worst States for Jobs
Nov 30, 2022 4:11 PM CST
These Are the Best, Worst States for Jobs
Washington tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia comes in last
- After a tumultuous couple of years marred by the pandemic, the job market is looking up, with many employers eagerly seeking new workers for their payrolls. Conditions for the job hunt are better in some states than in others, and WalletHub is here to break it all down. The site...
A 2nd Club Q
Hero Speaks Out
Nov 28, 2022 5:32 AM CST
A 2nd Club Q Hero Speaks Out
Thomas James, a Navy petty officer, helped subdue the alleged shooter
- The world is hearing from another Club Q hero for the first time. One of the patrons who helped Army veteran Richard Fierro subdue the suspect accused of killing five in a mass shooting at the LGBTQ+ nightclub in Colorado released a statement Sunday, CNN reports. Thomas James, a US...
Suspect in Club Shooting
Is Nonbinary: Lawyers
Nov 23, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Suspect in Club Shooting Is Nonbinary: Lawyers
Anderson Lee Aldrich was Nicholas Brink until changing their name at 15
- The suspect in the Club Q shooting is nonbinary, according to their lawyer. In filing several motions Tuesday, public defenders Joseph Archambault and Michael Bowman added a footnote stating Anderson Lee Aldrich is "nonbinary" and uses "they/them pronouns," reports the
. They are referred to as...
Club Q Hero: 'I Just
Went Into Combat Mode'
Nov 22, 2022 6:15 AM CST
Club Q Hero: 'I Just Went Into Combat Mode'
Boyfriend of Army veteran Richard Fierro's daughter was killed in the shooting
- The man who subdued the alleged Club Q shooter Saturday night, beating him with his own gun , is telling his story. Richard M. Fierro had gone to the gay nightclub with his wife, his daughter, her longtime boyfriend, and two family friends to watch his 22-year-old daughter's best friend...
In Gay Nightclub
Say Red Flag Laws
Nov 21, 2022 4:12 AM CST
In Gay Nightclub Shooting, Critics Say Red Flag Laws Were Ignored
Suspect allegedly threatened his mother with a bomb last year, but nothing was done
- A year and a half before he was arrested in the Colorado Springs gay nightclub shooting that left five people dead, Anderson Lee Aldrich allegedly threatened his mother with a homemade bomb, forcing neighbors in surrounding homes to evacuate while the bomb squad and crisis negotiators talked him into surrendering,...
Approved for Mountain
With Link to Massacre
Nov 18, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Name Change Approved for Mountain With Link to Massacre
Colorado's Mount Evans could soon become Mount Blue Sky
- A Colorado state panel recommended Thursday that Mount Evans, a prominent peak near Denver, be renamed Mount Blue Sky at the request of the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. The Colorado Geographic Naming Advisory Board voted unanimously for the change. Colorado Gov. Jared Polis will weigh in on the recommendation before...
Boebert's Rival Concedes
in Tight Colorado Race
Nov 18, 2022 12:56 PM CST
Boebert's Rival Concedes in Tight Colorado Race
It still appears headed to automatic recount, but both he and the congresswoman say it's over
- The Democratic challenger who ended up in a surprisingly tight race with Rep. Lauren Boebert in Colorado has conceded, reports the Hill . Adam Frisch said Friday that while the race appears headed for an automatic recount, "the likelihood of this recount changing more than a handful of votes is...
Boebert's House Race
Is Nation's Closest
Nov 17, 2022 7:30 PM CST
Boebert's House Race Is Nation's Closest
Final votes will be counted Friday, county clerks say
- Election officials in the Colorado counties still counting votes in the Rep. Lauren Boebert-Adam Frisch congressional race say they'll finish Friday. Boebert was 551 votes ahead at 5pm Thursday, the Colorado Sun reports, putting the election on track for a mandatory recount. Recounts are triggered when the margin between...
Now Leads by 1K Votes
Nov 11, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Lauren Boebert Now Leads by 1K Votes
House race in Colorado still too close to call
- After briefly trailing Democratic challenger Adam Frisch by 64 votes , Colorado Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert is back in the lead in her race for re-election to the House. As of midnight Friday, with 99% of the vote counted, she was ahead by 1,122 votes. Boebert, a Trump ally, represents...
Murder of JonBenet Ramsey
to Get a Fresh Look
Nov 10, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Murder of JonBenet Ramsey to Get a Fresh Look
Colorado Bureau of Investigation team to take up the cold case in 2023
- The Colorado Bureau of Investigation will take a fresh look at the unsolved murder of JonBenet Ramsey next year. The CBI's Cold Case Review Team—a group of "investigative, analytical, and forensic experts from across the state" who meet two to four times a year—will take up...
Survey: Gig Drivers
in Denver Average
$5.49 an Hour
Nov 9, 2022 3:02 PM CST
Survey: Gig Drivers in Denver Average $5.49 an Hour
Pay comes in well under minimum wage, but companies contest the calculations
- The income of gig drivers in the Denver area is running well below minimum wage, a survey has found. Two advocacy groups, Colorado Jobs with Justice and Gig Workers Rising, queried hundreds of drivers for such platforms as Lyft, Uber, and DoorDash from last November through January, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.