Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Should Get $240K
Jan 19, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Judge: Warmbiers Should Get $240K
Parents of late college student were awarded $500M from North Korea in 2018
- The parents of Otto Warmbier, a US student who died after being taken hostage by North Korea and released in a coma in 2017, should receive $240,300 seized from a North Korean bank account, a federal judge ruled last week. The amount would be a partial payment toward the...
North Korea's Missile
Launches Keep Coming
Jan 18, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea's Missile Launches Keep Coming
North Korea confirms 4th missile launch this month
North Korea said Tuesday it had conducted a test-firing of “tactical guided missiles,” a day after South Korea’s military detected the North launching two ballistic missiles into the sea. Monday’s test was North Korea’s fourth round of missile launches this month and the second...
Latest North Korea
Launch Is Apparent Reprisal
Jan 14, 2022 12:50 AM CST
Latest North Korea Launch Is Apparent Reprisal
Pyongyang carries out third weapons launch this month
- North Korea on Friday fired at least one possible ballistic missile in its third weapons launch this month, officials in South Korea and Japan said, in an apparent reprisal for fresh sanctions imposed by the Biden administration for its continuing test launches. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said...
In N. Korea,
a 'Battle for
Jan 12, 2022 1:04 PM CST
In N. Korea, a 'Battle for Manure' Is Underway
Kim Jong Un wants citizens to meet poop quotas to help fertilize crops
- The pandemic has wreaked havoc on North Korea's food supply, the result of a domino effect of sorts: With the nation's borders closed, it can't import the manure it needs for its crops from China. The hunt for that stinky commodity has now reached "crisis level,...
in a Week
Jan 12, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea Launches 2nd Hypersonic Missile in a Week
Pyongyang says it hit a target 621 miles away in the sea
- For the second time in less than a week, North Korea says it has launched a hypersonic missile. After launching one last Wednesday , Pyongyang said it did so again Tuesday, the BBC reports. This one "precisely hit" a target 621 miles away, the country says. The US, South Korea,...
N. Korea Skipping Olympics
'Due to Hostile Forces'
Jan 7, 2022 5:57 AM CST
N. Korea Skipping Olympics 'Due to Hostile Forces'
Pyongyang also cited the pandemic
- North Korea on Friday said it would skip next month’s Beijing Olympics because of the COVID-19 pandemic and "hostile forces' moves," a largely redundant statement since the country has already been banned from the Games by the IOC. In September, the International Olympic Committee suspended North Korea...
Yeah, That Was
Jan 6, 2022 12:25 AM CST
North Korea: Yeah, That Was a Hypersonic Missile
Pyongyang says it hit a target 435 miles away
North Korea claimed Thursday that its Wednesday launch was the second successful test flight of a hypersonic missile. The official Korean Central News Agency said the Central Committee of the ruling Workers’ Party expressed “great satisfaction” at the results of the missile test, which was observed by leading...
Man Who Crossed
DMZ Into North Korea
Believed to Be Gymnast
Jan 4, 2022 12:23 AM CST
Man Who Crossed DMZ Into North Korea Believed to Be Gymnast
He is believed to have first defected from North to South last year
The person who crossed the DMZ to enter North Korea over the weekend is a male gymnast, Seoul says. He is believed to have defected from North to South Korea last year, and on Saturday made his way back, the BBC reports. Why he did so is not clear,...
One-Time North Korean
Heir Apparent Has Died
Dec 15, 2021 2:52 PM CST
One-Time North Korean Heir Apparent Has Died
Kim Jong Un offers 'deep condolences' on death of centenarian Kim Yong Ju
- Kim Yong Ju, the younger brother of North Korea founder Kim Il Sung and the man who was once regarded as the country's No. 2 official before his nephew was anointed as the next ruler, has died, state media reported Wednesday. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the grandson...
Report: NK Publicly Executes
Those Who View Outside Media
Dec 15, 2021 1:36 PM CST
Report: NK Publicly Executes Those Who View Outside Media
Human rights group describes 7 executions related to South Korean entertainment
- North Korea is reportedly executing people found to possess videos from its enemy to the south, including episodes of
. A year-old law states those who possess, watch, or distribute media from capitalist countries, including South Korea and the US, can be put to death, reports Radio Free Asia...
A North Korean Defector's
Past Came Back to Haunt Her
Dec 5, 2021 2:10 PM CST
A North Korean Defector's Past Came Back to Haunt Her
Song Chun Son assumed she'd be free in the South. Not so
- To say that Song Chun Son's life in North Korea wasn't great wouldn't be much of a stretch. She was thrown into a labor camp from 2007 to 2009 after illegally traveling to China in search of food during a famine. She later did illegal work as...
40 Days on Run
Nov 30, 2021 8:00 AM CST
'Wailing' NK Defector Caught After 40 Days on Run
Zhu Xianjian, who had 2 years left in Chinese prison sentence before he escaped, is recaptured
- Zhu Xianjian had his 11-year sentence slashed two times due to good behavior, but his break out of a Chinese prison last month with two years left behind bars likely just nullified his chances for an early release. The 39-year-old defector from North Korea is about to find out: He...
Gets Death Sentence in NK
Nov 25, 2021 2:30 PM CST
Smuggler Gets Death Sentence in NK
Students who watched it will serve 5 years of hard labor, sources say
- In the Netflix series
, luckless South Koreans are executed for losing children's games. In real-life North Korea, you can be executed for distributing
according to Radio Free Asia . The US-funded news agency, citing sources in North Korea, reports that a man who smuggled a copy...
This Might Be
Since Biden Took Office
Oct 19, 2021 2:48 AM CDT
This Might Be North Korea's Biggest Message Since Biden Took Office
It tests what was likely a submarine-launched ballistic missile
- North Korea on Tuesday fired at least one ballistic missile into the sea in what South Korea’s military described as a weapon likely designed for submarine-based launches, marking possibly the most significant demonstration of the North’s military might since President Biden took office. The launch came hours after...
North Korea's Currency
Is Doing Something Weird
Oct 15, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
North Korea's Currency Is Doing Something Weird
Unofficial exchange rate has surged 25% despite country's many economic woes
- Something strange is happening with North Korea's currency—and while analysts aren't sure what the cause is, few believe it's a sign of a healthy economy. The official exchange rate for the North Korean won has long been around 100 to the dollar, but according to outlets...
They Were Promised 'Paradise.'
The Destination: North Korea
Oct 14, 2021 5:35 PM CDT
They Were Promised 'Paradise.' The Destination: North Korea
Lawsuit in Japan seeks retribution for decades-long repatriation program
- Some 93,000 people moved from Japan to North Korea in the latter half of the 20th century, many believing they would encounter a "paradise." North Korea—desperate for labor amid efforts to rebuild following two tragic wars—suggested these migrants, many of whom were ethnic Koreans who'...
North Korea Slams
Oct 13, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
North Korea Slams 'Beastly'
South Korean show has smashed Netflix records
- The massive international success of
has not gone unnoticed in North Korea, where propagandists say it reflects the "sad reality of a beastly South Korean society." A Tuesday article on a propaganda website argues that the show "gained popularity because it exposes the reality of...
Kim Vows North Korea Will
Build 'Invincible Military'
Oct 12, 2021 5:44 PM CDT
Kim Vows North Korea Will Build 'Invincible Military'
He speaks surrounded by missiles at Pyongyang exhibition
- A parade last month marking North Korea's 73rd anniversary was seen as unusually subdued , with a focus on civil defense units instead of military might. But Kim Jong Un more than made up for it at an event Monday, where he spoke after reviewing a variety of large missiles,...
'Long Time No Talk':
South Korean Official
to North Korean Official
Oct 4, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
'Long Time No Talk': South Korean Official to North Korean Official
Hotlines between two countries restored
North Korea on Monday restored its hotlines with South Korea, and communication resumed on them for the first time in almost two months. "Long time no talk. We’re very pleased because the communication channels have been restored like this. We hope that South-North relations will develop into...
Sep 29, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
North Korea Launches Hypersonic Missile
Country says first test flight went well
- North Korea said Wednesday it successfully tested a new hypersonic missile it implied was being developed as nuclear capable, as it continues to expand its military capabilities and pressure Washington and Seoul over long-stalled negotiations over its nuclear weapons. The missile test early Tuesday was North Korea's third round...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.