Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feb 25, 2023 8:30 AM CST
California Pummeled by Rain, Snow, Frigid Temps
Meanwhile, Michigan is hit by its own winter woes
- A powerful winter storm lashing California threatened floods, blizzards, and avalanches Saturday while adding frigid temperatures to the misery mix. Overnight lows could drop below freezing in some areas, while downtown San Francisco could see record-breaking cold temperatures Saturday morning, according to the National Weather Service. Projected temperatures of 38...
Blizzard Savior Given
Tickets to the Super Bowl
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 21, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Blizzard Savior Given Tickets to the Super Bowl
Cheektowaga mechanic Jay Withey, aka 'Merry Christmas Jay,' credited with saving 2 dozen
- A Good Samaritan in Buffalo who police say helped save two dozen lives during the city's December blizzard is getting a bit of a reward for his efforts. The Buffalo Bills are giving mechanic Jay Withey two tickets to next month's Super Bowl in Arizona, reports ESPN . It'...
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints
of 'Embarrassing' Response
Dec 29, 2022 11:23 AM CST
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints of 'Embarrassing' Response
County executive calls out the mayor, who suggests his critic is too stressed
- In Buffalo, the driving ban is now lifted, the region's death toll from its historic blizzard has risen to 37, and the snow has stopped falling. The blame game, however, appears to be just starting. Amid questions about how Buffalo, of all places, has been so slow to dig...
She Said She'd Be
Right Back, Died in the
Snow Not Far From Home
Dec 29, 2022 12:44 AM CST
She Said She'd Be Right Back, Died in the Snow Not Far From Home
Buffalo family mourns beloved grandmother
- As the blizzard bore down on Buffalo Christmas Eve, Monique Alexander told her daughter, Casey Maccarone, that she was going out and would be right back. Maccarone, who had seen on social media that stores were shutting down due to the storm, assumed her mom, who was 52, wanted to...
Lost Loved Ones
Trapped in Cars
Dec 28, 2022 10:40 AM CST
In Buffalo, Helpless Families Lost Loved Ones Trapped in Cars
3 storm victims died in their cars, says an Erie County official
- There are tales of amazing rescues out of Buffalo , but also stories of the other type: the tragic deaths of people who became stuck in their cars and couldn't be rescued amid a historic blizzard. NBC News has the stories of families who are mourning lost loved ones. Stasia...
Military Police Enforce
Buffalo Driving Ban
Dec 27, 2022 2:01 PM CST
Military Police Enforce Buffalo Driving Ban
They will be stationed at major intersections, entrances to snow-stricken city
- State and military police were sent Tuesday to keep people off Buffalo’s snow-choked roads, and officials kept counting fatalities three days after western New York’s deadliest storm in at least two generations. Even as suburban roads and most major highways in the area reopened, Erie County Executive Mark...
Buffalo-Area Couple Takes in
Bus of Stranded Tourists
Dec 27, 2022 8:58 AM CST
Buffalo-Area Couple Takes in Bus of Stranded Tourists
Survival stories emerge from city slammed by blizzard of historic proportions
- In almost every story about Buffalo's blizzard—perhaps the worst in city history —is a quote along these lines: “I’ve lived here my whole life, and this is the worst storm I’ve ever seen." That one is from 48-year-old Trisha LoGrasso, who has been...
As Snow Buries
US, Japan Faces
Similar Deadly Plight
Dec 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
As Snow Buries US, Japan Faces Similar Deadly Plight
At least 17 are dead, dozens injured in large portions of the nation
- Heavy snow in large swaths of Japan has killed 17 and injured more than 90 people and left hundreds of homes without power, disaster management officials said Monday. Powerful winter fronts have dumped heavy snow in northern regions since last week, stranding hundreds of vehicles on highways, delaying delivery services,...
At Least 37 Dead as
Storm's Misery Continues
Dec 26, 2022 6:29 AM CST
At Least 37 Dead as Storm's Misery Continues
Power is coming back online, but flight delays and cold temps are expected to hang around
- Millions of people hunkered down against a deep freeze Sunday to ride out the winter storm that CNN reports has killed at least 37 people across the United States and is expected to claim more lives after trapping some residents inside houses with heaping snow drifts and knocking out power...
Buffalo Blizzard May Be
Worst in City History
Dec 25, 2022 7:40 AM CST
Buffalo Blizzard May Be Worst in City History
Christmas storm is 'like a Category 3 hurricane with a bunch of snow mixed in'
- The greater Buffalo region is currently doing anything but waxing poetic about a white Christmas, dreaming instead of simpler things like power and heat as the winter storm that battered the nation takes an especially brutal swing at Western New York. Buffalo, no stranger to snow, is currently enduring what...
Digs Out After Storm
Jan 30, 2022 4:35 PM CST
East Coast Digs Out After Storm
Massachusetts towns got 30 inches of snow
- The sun shone on much of the East Coast on Sunday, a day after a vicious nor'easter brought blizzard conditions to many areas and left more than 100,000 customers without power for a stretch that could last into Monday. Winds that had gusted to more than 80mph on...
Major Winter Storm
Slams East Coast
Jan 29, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Major Winter Storm Slams East Coast
Blizzard warnings issued in 10 states, thousands of flights nixed as snowstorm rages Saturday
- People from New York City to Maine awakened Saturday to half a foot of snow, and forecasters warned that could more than quadruple as a powerful nor'easter kicked up blinding blizzard conditions with high winds and the potential for widespread power outages and coastal flooding. Parts of 10 states...
Beware, East Coast,
Here Comes Kenan
Jan 28, 2022 11:37 AM CST
Beware, East Coast, Here Comes Kenan
Major nor'easter could dump a lot snow on New York City, New England
- The East Coast is bracing itself for a major nor'easter this weekend, with heavy snow, high winds, and cold temps expected to impact 75 million people from South Carolina to Maine. The Weather Channel reports that the winter storm dubbed Kenan—set to form off the Carolinas on Friday,...
on Course to
Jan 26, 2022 5:27 PM CST
'Bomb Cyclone' on Course to Wallop Northeast
Winter storm could hit Friday night
- The East Coast is in store for a hefty dose of winter weather this weekend, forecasters say. The National Weather Service says it is "increasingly confident" that a major winter storm will wallop the area from the mid-Atlantic to the Northeast starting Friday, reports
Family Points Finger at Cops
After Man Dies in Snowstorm
Jan 10, 2022 7:41 AM CST
Family Points Finger at Cops After Man Dies in Snowstorm
Family of Jacob Whaley, 34, says Louisa County Sheriff's Office in Va. could've done more to find him
- The body of a Virginia dad whose vehicle got stuck in a snowstorm has been found, and his family is now demanding answers from local law enforcement as to why he wasn't rescued in time. As motorists in the state were stranded in severe winter weather last week on...
Pacific Northwest Flooded,
Snow Closes Mountain Passes
Jan 9, 2022 6:15 PM CST
Pacific Northwest Flooded, Snow Closes Mountain Passes
One socked-in town asked for National Guard help
- Flooding coursed over roads, inundated farmland and curtailed access to a Native American reservation in Washington state on Sunday as the Pacific Northwest slowly recovered from a series of storms that have engulfed the region with rain and snow. The swollen Chehalis River was expected to crest Sunday as the...
Blizzard Warnings in Effect
for Alaska and ... Hawaii?
Dec 4, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Blizzard Warnings in Effect for Alaska and ... Hawaii?
Aloha State may get a foot of snow or more in the Big Island mountains, with 100mph wind gusts
- It's typical for Alaska to have blizzard warnings at this time of year. Hawaii, not so much. But as winter approaches without any measurable snow in Denver , as well as below-average snowfall in most of the contiguous United States, the Aloha State was the only other state in addition...
It's the 'Worst
Storm in 80 Years'
Jan 9, 2021 5:30 AM CST
It's the 'Worst Storm in 80 Years'
Thousands are trapped in cars, airports, and train stations as blizzard buries Spain in snow
- An unusual and persistent blizzard that Madrid's mayor is calling "the worst storm in 80 years" has blanketed large parts of Spain with snow, freezing traffic and leaving thousands trapped in cars or in train stations and airports that had suspended all services as the snow kept falling...
4 Kids Vanished in an
Alaskan Storm. Then, 'Tears'
Feb 4, 2020 10:05 AM CST
4 Kids Vanished in an Alaskan Storm. Then, 'Tears'
2-year-old among those rescued near Nunam Iqua on Monday
- Four children lost amid blizzard conditions in Western Alaska have thankfully been found alive, though all are suffering from severe hypothermia. The group—identified as Christopher Johnson, 14; Frank Johnson, 8; Ethan Camille, 7; and Trey Camille, 2—had departed Nunam Iqua, a remote village near the Bering Sea, around...
'Bomb Cyclone' Will 'Go
Down in the History Books'
Mar 14, 2019 3:55 AM CDT
'Bomb Cyclone' Will 'Go Down in the History Books'
Storm brought blizzards, floods, a tornado across more than 25 states Wednesday
- National Guard troops are using specialized vehicles with tank-like treads to rescue stranded drivers in Colorado in the wake of a massive late-winter storm that is expected to unleash heavy rain and snow on the Midwest plains on Thursday. Wednesday's blizzard, classified as a "bomb cyclone" caused widespread...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.