Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
She's Only the 5th Woman to Win Nobel in Physics
Stories 1 - 20 |
California Dishes Out
Consequences to Walgreens
Mar 9, 2023 12:12 AM CST
California Dishes Out Consequences to Walgreens
State will not renew $54M contract with pharmacy chain over abortion pill issue
- Those consequences California Gov. Gavin Newsom promised have begun: The state will not renew a $54 million contract with Walgreens after the pharmacy chain decided to stop selling abortion pills by mail in 21 states. Newsom ordered state officials to withdraw the planned renewal of the contract for specialty...
Drug Chains Restrict
Purchase of Children's Meds
Dec 20, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Drug Chains Restrict Purchase of Children's Meds
Demand as respiratory illnesses thrive forces CVS, Walgreens to limit amount customers can buy
- Parents on the hunt for medication for their sick kids may not be able to immediately find what they need on drugstore shelves, thanks to a spike in various respiratory illnesses and, therefore, higher demand for those meds. CNN reports that the CVS and Walgreens chains have placed limits on...
Walgreens Cuts Deal
to Deliver Paxlovid to Homes
Dec 8, 2022 4:45 PM CST
Walgreens Cuts Deal to Deliver Paxlovid to Homes
Uber, DoorDash partner with chain, greatly expanding access for COVID-19 patients
- Walgreens announced Thursday that it has partnered with DoorDash and Uber to have Paxlovid, the oral antiviral therapy for COVID-19, delivered to homes. The company said that the new service will make the drug available to 92% of Americans, ABC News reports, and that its goal is to reach "...
Another Big Pharma
Chain Is About to
Fork Over Billions
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 AM CST
Another Big Pharma Chain Is About to Fork Over Billions
Walmart agrees to $3.1B settlement with states, tribes regarding opioid crisis
- Walmart has joined two other big pharmacy chains in opening its wallet wide to help fix the opioid epidemic that many say they helped cause. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Walmart has agreed to fork over $3.1 billion to settle lawsuits from multiple states, municipalities, and Native American...
Pharmacy Chains Ordered
to Pay Ohio Counties $650M
Aug 17, 2022 4:47 PM CDT
Pharmacy Chains Ordered to Pay Ohio Counties $650M
They lost a landmark opioids case last year
- A federal judge in Cleveland awarded $650 million in damages Wednesday to two Ohio counties that won a landmark lawsuit against national pharmacy chains CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart, claiming the way they distributed opioids to customers caused severe harm to communities and created a public nuisance. US District Judge Dan...
SF City Attorney: 'Walgreens
Filled Our Streets With Opioids'
Aug 10, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
SF City Attorney: 'Walgreens Filled Our Streets With Opioids'
Judge rules that chain can be held responsible for contributing to crisis
- A federal judge ruled Wednesday that Walgreens can be held responsible for contributing to San Francisco's opioid crisis for over-dispensing highly addictive drugs for years without proper oversight and failing to identify and report suspicious orders as required by law. San Francisco City Attorney David Chiu said the pharmacy...
Refuses to Sell Condoms
Jul 22, 2022 9:21 AM CDT
Walgreens Worker Refuses to Sell Condoms
Minnesota man says his wife was told it was because of employee's faith
- A Minnesota man says his wife had a strange—and embarrassing—experience at a Walgreens earlier this month when she tried to buy condoms because she had left her birth control pills at home. Nathan Pentz tweeted that when his wife, Jess, was at the checkout of the Hayward store,...
Walgreens Worker Allegedly
Killed Teen in Break Room
Jun 16, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Walgreens Worker Allegedly Killed Teen in Break Room
Victim Riley Whitelaw, 17, complained about co-worker Joshua Johnson for a year
- A teenage Walgreens employee who reported her co-worker to her boss for making her feel uncomfortable was allegedly killed by that same co-worker in the store's break room. A manager at the store in Colorado Springs called 911 just before 7pm Saturday, saying he'd found a body in...
Stores Now Able to Up
Prices of at-Home COVID Tests
Jan 5, 2022 11:24 AM CST
Stores Now Able to Up Prices of at-Home COVID Tests
3-month White House agreement with Walgreens, Kroger, Amazon has expired
- It's pretty impossible to find an at-home COVID test in many places. More expensive, too. A three-month agreement the Biden administration made with Walmart, Amazon, and Kroger to sell at-home COVID tests at cost—$14, reports the
Wall Street Journal
—expired last month. "This is ... up to...
Counties Win 'Landmark Victory'
Against Pharmacy Chains
Nov 23, 2021 6:45 PM CST
Counties Win 'Landmark Victory' Against Pharmacy Chains
Federal jury found chains responsible for role in opioid crisis
- CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies recklessly distributed massive amounts of pain pills in two Ohio counties, a federal jury said Tuesday in a verdict that could set the tone for US city and county governments that want to hold pharmacies accountable for their roles in the opioid crisis. Lake and...
2 Young Kids, Parents Given
COVID-19 Vaccine by Mistake
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
2 Young Kids, Parents Given COVID-19 Vaccine by Mistake
4-year-old said to be experiencing high blood pressure, rapid heart rate
- A family of four from Indiana, including two young kids, says they went to their local Walgreens to get the flu shot but instead received the COVID-19 vaccine. The Evansville family—two adults and two children ages 4 and 5—say they left the Walgreens thinking they'd received the...
Forced It to Close
Oct 14, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Walgreens Says Shoplifting Has Forced It to Close SF Stores
5 more outlets in city will close next month
- Walgreens says it's closing five more of its stores in San Francisco because of "organized retail crime," bringing the number of closures in recent years to 22—almost a third of its stores in the city. The chain says its San Francisco stores have been targeted by...
Pharmacy Chains Responsible
for 70% of Wasted Vaccines
May 3, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Pharmacy Chains Responsible for 70% of Wasted Vaccines
CVS and Walgreens reported some struggle with getting shots in arms
- Of the 182,874 doses of COVID vaccine wasted in the US as of late March, 128,500 were the responsibility of CVS and Walgreens. A report from Kaiser Health News says almost 50% of the doses reported to the CDC as wasted were supposed to be distributed CVS, and...
Walmart, CVS End
'Out of Step' Practice
Jun 12, 2020 10:54 AM CDT
Walmart, CVS End 'Out of Step' Practice
Drugstore chains will no longer lock up beauty products for people of color
- Companies and brands are now making extra efforts to get rid of discriminatory policies after the killing of George Floyd , and drugstore chains are following in Walmart's footsteps in terms of one merchandise segment. Earlier this week, the retailer announced it would be taking hair and beauty products made...
Lawsuit: Drug Firms Acted Like
a Cartel. Now, a $260M Deal
Oct 21, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Drug Firms Acted Like a Cartel. Now, a $260M Deal
Ohio's Summit, Cuyahoga counties to be paid by 4 major companies for their role in opioid epidemic
- Two counties in Ohio could have pulled in $8 billion if they'd won their legal battle in court against Big Pharma. Instead, in an 11th-hour deal, they've settled for $260 million against three major distributors and a manufacturer for their role in the opioid epidemic, the
Sep 30, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
Chains Pull Zantac After FDA Finding
FDA is looking into presence of likely carcinogen
- Walgreens and CVS have decided to stop selling Zantac in their stores, two weeks after the FDA said it found low levels of a likely carcinogen in some of the heartburn pills. The drugstore chains said the suspension of sales, which also applies to generics, will be in effect while...
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled
Out 750K Prescriptions
Jul 31, 2019 8:39 AM CDT
AG: Fake Pharmacist Doled Out 750K Prescriptions
For over 10 years, Kim Thien Le worked as Bay Area pharmacist without license: Xavier Becerra
- For more than 10 years, Kim Thien Le handed out scads of prescriptions as a pharmacist at a handful of Walgreens stores in the Bay Area—nearly 750,000 scripts when all was said and done, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra noted Tuesday. The problem, per the AG's statement:...
Cops: Instead of Calling Police,
Walgreens Called This Guy
Jun 21, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
Cops: Instead of Calling Police, Walgreens Called This Guy
Louis Hicks charged with murder after allegedly shooting woman thought to be shoplifter: police
- Police say a man has been charged with murder and pretending to be an officer in the shooting death of a woman inside a Chicago Walgreens store. Chicago Police rep Anthony Guglielmi says Louis Hicks, 33, turned himself in Wednesday night, the AP reports. Police have said a store manager...
Amazon Just Made a Big Move
That Might Worry CVS
Jun 28, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Amazon Just Made a Big Move That Might Worry CVS
Jeff Bezos is buying PillPack, an online pharmacy that dispenses prescription drugs
- There's a reason shares of CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid were tumbling Thursday, and it can be summed up in one word: Amazon. The retailing behemoth made its first significant move into the pharmacy business by buying PillPack, an online company that ships medications to customers' homes, reports the...
Pharmacist Won't Fill Rx
to End Unviable Pregnancy
Jun 25, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Pharmacist Won't Fill Rx to End Unviable Pregnancy
Woman says she was 'humiliated,' and company apologizes
- A Walgreens pharmacist's refusal to fill a prescription on ethical grounds has focused the abortion debate on Peoria, Ariz. The controversy began when 35-year-old Nicole Mone Arteaga went public with her story in a Facebook post , reports CNN . Arteaga was 9 weeks into her pregnancy when her doctor informed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.