Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Review Fails to Bring Charges
in Death of Michael Brown
Jul 30, 2020 6:10 PM CDT
Review Fails to Bring Charges in Death of Michael Brown
New prosecutor had launched review of the case
- St. Louis County’s top prosecutor announced Thursday that he will not charge the former police officer who fatally shot Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri—a dramatic decision that could reopen old wounds amid a renewed and intense national conversation about racial injustice and police treatment of minorities. It was...
Fox News: Sorry About
That Stock Report
Jun 6, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Fox News: Sorry About That Stock Report
The graphic aired Friday on 'Special Report with Bret Baier'
- Fox News apologized Saturday for how it displayed a chart correlating the stock market's performance with the aftermath of the deaths of George Floyd, Martin Luther King Jr., and Michael Brown, the AP reports. The graphic that aired Friday to illustrate market reactions to historic periods of civil unrest...
5 Years Later, Father of
Michael Brown Issues a Plea
Aug 9, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
5 Years Later, Father of Michael Brown Issues a Plea
He wants investigation reopened into the fatal police shooting of his son
- On the fifth anniversary of Michael Brown's death in Ferguson, his father is urging the St. Louis County prosecutor to reopen the investigation into the fatal shooting of the black, unarmed 18-year-old by a white police officer, per the AP . Michael Brown Sr. spoke Friday outside the St. Louis...
Michael Brown's Mother Loses
Ferguson City Council Race
Apr 3, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Michael Brown's Mother Loses Ferguson City Council Race
Her son died in 2014 police shooting
- Michael Brown's mother was defeated Tuesday in her bid for a seat on the City Council in Ferguson, Mo., where her son died in a police shooting that helped give rise to the national Black Lives Matter movement. Lesley McSpadden finished third in a three-way race in Ferguson's...
Michael Brown's Mother Throws
Hat Into Political Ring
Aug 10, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Michael Brown's Mother Throws Hat Into Political Ring
Lezley McSpadden has announced she's running for Ferguson City Council
- The mother of Michael Brown has announced she's entering the political fray in the St. Louis suburb where her unarmed teenage son was shot dead by police in 2014. In an event organized down the street from where 18-year-old Brown was shot dead by Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson,...
Michael Brown's Parents'
Settlement Amount Revealed
Jun 23, 2017 11:30 AM CDT
Michael Brown's Parents' Settlement Amount Revealed
City attorney says they received $1.5M
- The amount of the settlement Michael Brown's parents reached with the city of Ferguson, Mo., didn't stay secret for long. In response to an open records request, the city attorney told the AP the city's insurance company paid $1.5 million to settle the wrongful death lawsuit...
Michael Brown's Parents
Reach Deal With Ferguson
Jun 21, 2017 7:42 AM CDT
Michael Brown's Parents Reach Deal With Ferguson
Judge orders settlement to remain secret
- Nearly three years after 18-year-old Michael Brown was killed by Ferguson, Mo., police officer Darren Wilson, a settlement has been reached in the wrongful-death lawsuit filed by his parents. A federal judge signed off on the civil settlement Tuesday but ordered most of the details to be kept secret, reports...
War of Words Breaks Out
Over Michael Brown Footage
Mar 14, 2017 6:11 AM CDT
War of Words Breaks Out Over Michael Brown Footage
No love lost between Robert McCulloch, Jason Pollock
- Protesters have returned to the streets of Ferguson, Mo., in the wake of a new documentary's claim that Michael Brown didn't rob a store before he was shot dead by police in 2014. On Sunday night, three people were arrested outside Ferguson Market & Liquor for assaulting police...
No Robbery Before
Michael Brown Shot Dead
Mar 12, 2017 3:45 PM CDT
Documentary: No Robbery Before Michael Brown Shot Dead
Documentary 'Stranger Fruit' argues teen wasn't robbing convenience store
- The narrative of the last moments of Michael Brown's life tends to begin here: With the 18-year-old allegedly stealing cigarillos from a Ferguson, Missouri, convenience store shortly before he was shot dead by Officer Darren Wilson . Now, a documentary that screened Saturday at South by Southwest in Austin uses...
Well-Known Ferguson Activist
Found Dead in Burning Car
Sep 7, 2016 7:55 AM CDT
Well-Known Ferguson Activist Found Dead in Burning Car
Darren Seals had been shot, St. Louis County cops say
- A Missouri man who became a familiar face in the protests against the Michael Brown police shooting in Ferguson was himself killed Tuesday, St. Louis County police say. The
St. Louis American
reports that officers discovered the body of 29-year-old Darren Seals (the police are spelling his name as "...
Ice Cream Truck
as Outreach Tool
Jul 26, 2016 6:54 PM CDT
Police Add Ice Cream Truck as Outreach Tool
'Operation Polar Cops' is delivering free ice cream in St. Louis
- St. Louis police will have a question to ask as they take their new truck into neighborhoods: One scoop or two? Police Chief Sam Dotson calls it "Operation Polar Cops," a truck that will give away ice cream treats at various events, part of an effort to improve...
Was Not My Fault
Aug 27, 2015 1:13 PM CDT
'Brownie': Katrina Was Not My Fault
Former FEMA chief defends his hurricane work
- “And Brownie, you’re doing a heckuva job." Former FEMA chief Michael Brown writes in Politico that he is still haunted by those words uttered by George W. Bush during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. In the lengthy essay, Brown seeks to set the record straight as he...
Frozen Water Bottles,
Rocks Thrown in
Aug 11, 2015 6:50 AM CDT
Frozen Water Bottles, Rocks Thrown in Ferguson
Arrests made, but no injuries or looting reported on another night of demonstrations
- Sunday marked the anniversary of Michael Brown's death in Ferguson, and while tensions are still running high , another night of protests last night saw no reported injuries, gunshots, looting, or property damage, a county police spokesman tells the AP . However, about two dozen people were arrested during a protest...
Man Shot at
Aug 10, 2015 6:57 AM CDT
Man Shot at Ferguson Protest Critically Injured
Father says teen was 'real close' to Michael Brown
- A man who opened fire on officers in Ferguson, Mo. , is in "critical, unstable" condition after being struck when the officers returned fire, the St. Louis County Police chief says. Chief Jon Belmar notes plainclothes officers had been tracking the man, who they believed was armed, during a protest...
Shots Fired at Ferguson Protest
Aug 10, 2015 12:35 AM CDT
Shots Fired at Ferguson Protest
Police say officer returned fire
- The anniversary of 18-year-old Michael Brown's death in Ferguson, Mo., began with a solemn march in his honor and ended with a rowdy protest that was interrupted by gunfire. St. Louis County Police say an officer who came under heavy gunfire returned shots amid the protest. The police department...
A Year Later, Ferguson Remembers Michael Brown
Aug 9, 2015 12:19 PM CDT
A Year Later, Ferguson Remembers Michael Brown
March, moment of silence as protesters return to streets of Missouri town
- One year after the shooting that cast greater scrutiny on how police interact with black communities, the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., will be marked with a somber march and a moment of silence. The march late this morning begins at the site where Brown, who was...
Michael Brown's Dad Stopped
Cutting Beard Day Son Died
Aug 8, 2015 2:00 PM CDT
Michael Brown's Dad Stopped Cutting Beard Day Son Died
It's 'my strength,' he says
- "My strength is my beard," Michael Brown Sr. tells CNN . "Every strand of hair means something." The father of Michael Brown, the black teen who was shot and killed by white officer Darren Wilson on Aug. 9, 2014, in Ferguson, Missouri, says his beard is a...
Life, a Year After
Aug 3, 2015 2:15 PM CDT
Darren Wilson's Life, a Year After Michael Brown
Massive 'New Yorker' profile digs in to teen's shooter
has the first extensive interview with Michael Brown shooter Darren Wilson , and it's extensive: Jake Halpern's piece clocks in at nearly 11,000 words, the result of several days the two spent together in March at Wilson's new home. He opens with a picture...
May 6, 2015 6:32 AM CDT
Michael Brown's Friend Sues Ferguson, Darren Wilson
Dorian Johnson says Wilson used 'excessive force' against him
- Dorian Johnson, the friend who was with Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., when Brown was shot and killed by Officer Darren Wilson, has filed a lawsuit against Wilson, the city, and the city's former police chief. Johnson claims Wilson targeted him without probable cause when he and Brown were...
Apr 23, 2015 12:15 AM CDT
Michael Brown's Parents Are Suing Ferguson
Wrongful-death lawsuit may also name Darren Wilson
- Lawyers for the parents of Michael Brown, the unarmed, black 18-year-old who was fatally shot by a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., are planning to file a civil lawsuit against the city. Attorneys for the family said in a statement last night that the wrongful-death lawsuit will be filed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.