Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This EV Carmaker
Just Had a Huge Day
Aug 16, 2023 7:57 AM CDT
This EV Carmaker Just Had a Huge Day
Vietnam's VinFast hits $85B market cap on first day of Nasdaq trading, now worth more than Mercedes
- A Vietnamese carmaker debuted on the Nasdaq on Tuesday and was suddenly worth more than legacy brands including Ford, General Motors, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen. VinFast, one of the biggest automakers in Vietnam, began offering gas-powered vehicles in 2018, per Quartz . It launched electric vehicles in 2021, but only began selling...
Wall Street Rallies Ahead
of Reports From Big Tech
Jul 24, 2023 3:47 PM CDT
Wall Street Rallies Ahead of Reports From Big Tech
Traders expect Fed to raise rates this week for the last time in this cycle
- Wall Street ticked higher Monday to start a week full of updates on where interest rates and profits for the stock market's most influential companies are heading. The S&P 500 rose 18.30, or 0.4%, to 4,554.64, coming off its eighth winning week in the...
Stocks Headed for
Worst Year Since 2008
Dec 30, 2022 6:37 AM CST
Stocks Headed for Worst Year Since 2008
The picture is even worse for cryptocurrencies
- Friday is the last trading day in a year many on Wall Street will be glad to see the last of. Stock futures fell overnight, leaving major indexes on course for their worst year since 2008, CNBC reports. The S&P 500 dropped 19.24% in 2022, the Nasdaq plunged...
Stocks Surge After
Fed Rate Hike
Jul 27, 2022 3:43 PM CDT
Stocks Surge After Fed Rate Hike
Nasdaq index had its best day in more than 2 years
- Stocks on Wall Street closed solidly higher Wednesday after the Federal Reserve ratcheted up its campaign against surging inflation by raising its key interest rate three-quarters of a point. The Fed’s latest hike lifts the benchmark short-term rate to its highest level since 2018. The S&P 500 rose...
Tesla Stock Slumps 12.2%
Apr 26, 2022 3:54 PM CDT
Tesla Stock Slumps 12.2%
Investors worry Twitter buy will distract Musk
- More sharp declines in Big Tech stocks sent the Nasdaq composite down 4% Tuesday, the worst drop for the tech-heavy index since September 2020. The Nasdaq is now down 20% so far this year as investors shun the ultra-pricey tech sector, which had made gangbuster gains for much of the...
Dollar Tree Was Among
Day's Biggest Winners
Sep 29, 2021 4:01 PM CDT
Dollar Tree Was Among Day's Biggest Winners
Markets regroup after Tuesday sell-off
- Stocks ended a wobbly day with mixed results on Wall Street Wednesday as the market regrouped following a sharp drop a day earlier. The S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average held on to modest gains, but the Nasdaq gave back 0.2%. Treasury yields stabilized, a welcome...
S&P 500 Just Had Its
Biggest Drop Since May
Sep 28, 2021 3:57 PM CDT
S&P 500 Just Had Its Biggest Drop Since May
Nasdaq drops 2.8% amid tech sell-off
- Technology companies led a broad slide in stocks on Wall Street Tuesday as investors reacted to a surge in US government bond yields. The benchmark S&P 500 index had its worst drop since May, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq had its worst drop since March. The main action was again...
Big Tech Stocks Drop as
Banks, Energy Firms Rise
Sep 27, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
Big Tech Stocks Drop as Banks, Energy Firms Rise
Dow Jones edged up 71 points
- Stocks wound up a mixed bag on Wall Street Monday as losses for several Big Tech companies checked gains elsewhere in the market. Microsoft fell 1.7% and Apple gave back 1.1%. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 1.49%, its highest level since late June....
Tech Gains Lift
Nasdaq to New High
Sep 1, 2021 3:43 PM CDT
Tech Gains Lift Nasdaq to New High
S&P 500 added a single point
- Stocks eked out some modest gains on Wall Street Wednesday, enough to nudge the Nasdaq composite index to another all-time high. The S&P 500 gave up nearly all of a midday gain and ended just 1 point higher, or less than 0.1%. Small-company stocks did better than the...
Big Gains for Travel Stocks as
S&P 500, Nasdaq Set Records
Aug 24, 2021 3:41 PM CDT
Big Gains for Travel Stocks as S&P 500, Nasdaq Set Records
Nasdaq closed above 15K for first time
- Stocks closed modestly higher on Wall Street Tuesday, enough to nudge the Nasdaq composite to a record high and past 15,000 for the first time. The broader S&P 500 index also set a record high. Banks, consumer-focused companies, and small-company stocks outpaced the rest of the market. The...
Banks Big Gainers as
Indexes Hit Record Highs
Aug 10, 2021 3:43 PM CDT
Banks Big Gainers as Indexes Hit Record Highs
Indexes rose despite slide in tech stocks
- Stocks capped another wobbly day of trading on Wall Street with modest gains Tuesday, as financial and industrial companies helped lift the market, outweighing a pullback in technology stocks. The S&P 500 recovered from an early slip and eked out a 0.1% gain, enough to eclipse the record...
Big Drops for Tech Stocks
Drag Markets Down
May 10, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Big Drops for Tech Stocks Drag Markets Down
Musk's 'SNL' appearance didn't help Tesla stock
- Drops in several Big Tech companies led the stock market lower Monday, pulling major indexes below the record highs they set last week. The S&P 500 lost 1% after spending the first half of the day wobbling between small gains and losses. The tech-heavy Nasdaq gave back 2.5%...
Markets Are 'Excited
for Post-Vaccine World'
Dec 8, 2020 3:56 PM CST
Markets Are 'Excited for Post-Vaccine World'
S&P 500, Nasdaq hit record hights
- Steady gains throughout the day delivered another round of record highs for major indexes on Wall Street Tuesday. The S&P 500 rose 0.3% to 3,702.25, closing above 3,700 points for the first time . The tech-heavy Nasdaq also hit a record high. Small-company stocks rose much...
Wall St. Rally Loses Steam
Nov 11, 2020 3:29 PM CST
Wall St. Rally Loses Steam
But tech stocks clawed back some losses
- An early rally on Wall Street lost steam by the closing bell Wednesday, leaving major indexes mixed. The S&P 500 rose 0.8%, thanks largely to gains in big technology companies. The Nasdaq rose 2% to 11,786.43, and the Dow Jones industrials edged down 0.1%, or...
Wall St. Bounces Back
After 4-Day Losing Streak
Sep 22, 2020 4:14 PM CDT
Wall St. Bounces Back After 4-Day Losing Streak
Strong home sales gave markets a boost
- Stocks rebounded on Wall Street Tuesday, recovering some of their losses after tumbling on a raft of worries about the pandemic and governments’ response to it. The S&P 500 gained 1.1%, halting its first four-day losing streak since the market was selling off in February. Trading was erratic,...
Dow Drops 632 Points
as Tech Stocks Slump
Sep 8, 2020 3:39 PM CDT
Dow Drops 632 Points as Tech Stocks Slump
Nasdaq is down 10% over 3 trading days
- Big technology stocks tumbled again on Tuesday, continuing the Icarus-like flight path for companies that just a week ago were the high-flyers carrying Wall Street to record heights. The S&P 500 fell 95.12, or 2.8%, to 3,331.84 and clinched its first three-day losing streak in...
S&P 500, Nasdaq Start
Month With New Highs
Sep 1, 2020 4:16 PM CDT
S&P 500, Nasdaq Start Month With New Highs
Zoom was up more than 40%
- Wall Street kicked off September with another set of milestones Tuesday, as an afternoon rally carried the S&P 500 and Nasdaq composite to all-time highs. The S&P 500 bounced back from a modest loss in the early going to finish 0.8% higher a day after the benchmark...
Nasdaq Sets New Record
Jun 22, 2020 4:41 PM CDT
Nasdaq Sets New Record
Other indexes also saw solid gains
- Stocks on Wall Street shook off a choppy start and closed higher Monday, extending the market's gains from last week. The initial drop followed weakness in overseas markets as the global tally of coronavirus infections approached 9 million. Technology companies led the way, outweighing losses in health care and...
Nasdaq Rises Above
Jun 8, 2020 3:58 PM CDT
Nasdaq Rises Above Pre-COVID High
S&P 500 hit its highest level since February
- Wall Street’s enthusiasm about the reopening economy sent stocks scrambling even higher on Monday, and the Nasdaq composite wiped away the last of its coronavirus-induced losses to set a record. The S&P 500, which dictates how more 401(k) accounts perform, climbed back within 4.5% of its own...
Stocks Extend Gains
for 3rd Straight Day
Jun 2, 2020 4:26 PM CDT
Stocks Extend Gains for 3rd Straight Day
NASA astronauts rang Nasdaq opening bell
- Stocks closed broadly higher on Wall Street Tuesday, extending the market's winning streak to a third day. The latest gains, which followed a rally in global stocks, were driven by optimism that the global economy will begin to recover as governments gradually allow businesses that were closed due to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
Supreme Court's First Female Justice Dead at 93
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.