Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
The House Elects a New Generation of Leaders
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
Another State Bans
Virtually All Abortions
Sep 16, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Another State Bans Virtually All Abortions
West Virginia governor signs legislation into effect
- Gov. Jim Justice on Friday signed into law a ban on abortions at all stages of pregnancy, making West Virginia the second state to enact a law prohibiting the procedure since the Supreme Court's June ruling overturning its constitutional protection. The bill will go into effect immediately, except for...
Lured 2 Kids Into His Car
Aug 31, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
Ex-Superintendent Allegedly Lured 2 Kids Into His Car
Police allege William Morrison offered to pay the children to babysit
- As recently as 2017, William Morrison was an Ohio schools superintendent. On Thursday, he was arrested for allegedly trying to kidnap two children in Huntington, W. Va. The
reports the 59-year-old, who now lives in that city, allegedly pulled up to a 9-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl he...
Man Accused by Sister Who
Woke From Coma Is Dead
Jul 22, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Man Accused by Sister Who Woke From Coma Is Dead
Daniel Palmer dies in custody in West Virginia
- A bizarre case out of West Virginia has taken another turn. A 55-year-old man accused of trying to kill his sister—by her, after she woke from a two-year coma —has died in custody, reports the AP . Daniel Palmer of Cottageville died at a Charleston hospital on Thursday, one...
After 2 Years in Coma,
Brother as Attacker
Jul 18, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
After 2 Years in Coma, Woman Identifies Brother as Attacker
Daniel Palmer arrested in West Virginia
- Two years ago, neighbors found Wanda Palmer on her couch in West Virginia, with injuries so severe that police who arrived on the scene at first thought she was dead. She wasn't, but she had been "attacked, hacked, and left for dead" with what authorities believe was a...
Trump Dealt One Win,
One 'High-Profile Loss'
May 11, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Trump Dealt One Win, One 'High-Profile Loss'
Charles Herbster loses bid for Nebraska governor, while Alex Mooney wins in WVa's 2nd District
- Former President Trump took a hit in Nebraska on Tuesday. Voters in the state's Republican gubernatorial primary chose University of Nebraska regent Jim Pillen over State Sen. Brett Lindstrom and Charles Herbster, a Trump-backed businessman and rancher who faced allegations of sexual misconduct from eight women, including state Republican...
2 Races Are
May 10, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
In Tuesday Primaries, 2 Races Are Trump Tests
Former president backing Alex Mooney in West Virginia and Charles Herbster in Nebraska
- It's another primary day in America, and much of the attention is again focused on a man whose name is not on any ballot—Donald Trump. Candidates backed by the former president—notably Ohio Senate hopeful JD Vance —did well in last week's primaries in Ohio and...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
W. Va. Students Object After
They're Preached to at School
Feb 9, 2022 11:30 AM CST
W. Va. Students Object After They're Preached to at School
Cabell County Schools rep says the event was supposed to be voluntary
- Between calculus and European history classes at a West Virginia public high school, 16-year-old Cameron Mays and his classmates were told by their teacher to go to an evangelical Christian revival assembly. When students arrived at the event in the school's auditorium, they were instructed to close their eyes...
Bette Midler Swings Back at
West Virginia's Governor
Jan 30, 2022 5:50 AM CST
Bette Midler Swings Back at West Virginia's Governor
Jim Justice said she, other critics can kiss his bulldog's 'hiney'
Bette Midler took to Twitter to respond to West Virginia Republican Gov. Jim Justice's suggestion that she and any other critics kiss his bulldog's "hiney." The actress tweeted Friday, "BTW, here are the state rankings of all the areas and agencies for which the...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
Shocker: 'I Just Got
Hit by a Car!'
Jan 20, 2022 7:00 PM CST
Reporter's On-Air Shocker: 'I Just Got Hit by a Car!'
Tori Yorgey of West Virginia's WSAZ was OK after the incident and kept reporting
- A young reporter for a West Virginia TV station had a close call Wednesday night that brought in praise for her resilience, as well as criticism for a colleague. Per the
, 25-year-old Tori Yorgey of WSAZ was about to do a live report in Charleston about a water...
Expiration of Child Tax Credits
Hits Home in West Virginia
Jan 14, 2022 8:38 AM CST
Expiration of Child Tax Credits Hits Home in West Virginia
Families say they will struggle without 'godsend'
- For the first time in half a year, families on Friday are going without a monthly deposit from the child tax credit—a program that was intended to be part of President Biden's legacy but has emerged instead as a flash point over who is worthy of government support....
Bette Midler Rants About
Manchin, Offends Entire State
Dec 21, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Bette Midler Rants About Manchin, Offends Entire State
Actress apologizes after calling residents of West Virginia 'poor, illiterate and strung out' in a tweet
- Very few people are happy with Joe Manchin these days, at least not in Democratic circles, and Bette Midler counts herself among them. But the 76-year-old actress and singer's recent online rant against the West Virginia senator is raising eyebrows, with many saying her slam against the state itself...
Manchin Says He Won't
Vote for Build Back Better
Dec 19, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Manchin Says He Won't Vote for Build Back Better
'I just can't,' West Virginia Democrat says, possibly dooming the legislation
- There's no point in Democrats making changes to President Biden's Build Back Better legislation in hopes of winning Sen. Joe Manchin's support. The West Virginia Democrat announced Sunday that he won't vote for the bill, the Hill reports. "I cannot vote to continue with this...
3 Md. Counties
Want to Defect.
Has 'Open Arms'
Oct 23, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
3 Md. Counties Want to Defect. This Governor Has 'Open Arms'
W. Va.'s Jim Justice says his state would welcome Garrett, Allegany, and Washington counties
- West Virginia must just have something that Maryland doesn't. Three counties in the latter state are now vying to join the former, and West Virginia's governor is all for it. WSAZ reports that lawmakers from Garrett, Allegany, and Washington counties—located in the most western part of Maryland,...
Governor Gets Trapped in
Oct 8, 2021 3:59 AM CDT
Governor Gets Trapped in Malfunctioning Elevator
West Virginia's Jim Justice was stuck for around 30 minutes
- A malfunction caused West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice to become trapped in the elevator at the governor's residence Thursday, his office said. The Republican governor was stuck for about 30 minutes after the malfunction as mansion staff, state police, and other state government personnel worked to open the elevator,...
This State Embraces Diversity
More Than Any Other
Sep 21, 2021 11:38 AM CDT
This State Embraces Diversity More Than Any Other
California takes top spot in WalletHub ranking; West Virginia comes in last
- America's history is a unique one, and the result of our national experiment is a "complex tapestry of backgrounds," comprised of people from all different cultures, religions, and socioeconomic and educational statuses, per WalletHub . In fact, the personal finance site notes, by 2045 it's expected there...
Looking for Gender Equality?
Here's Where to Go
Aug 23, 2021 11:39 AM CDT
Looking for Gender Equality? Here's Where to Go
Nevada takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, while Utah comes in last
- The glass ceiling may have many deep cracks in it, but it hasn't yet been shattered—at least not in terms of the pay gap or women consistently finding equal footing in leadership positions. And the workplace isn't the only arena in which women are still battling gender...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.