Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Poland's Fight With Germany
Over Reparations Turns Nasty
Jan 5, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Poland's Fight With Germany Over Reparations Turns Nasty
'Disrespectful' Germany aims to 'treat Poland as a vassal state,' Polish minister claims
- Poland is appealing to the United Nations for help in securing $1.4 trillion in war reparations from Germany, which describes the issue of reparations over its World War II invasion and occupation of the country as closed. Germany's latest response to Poland's request— issued last year following...
80 Years After
in Nazi Camp,
Dec 20, 2022 6:42 AM CST
80 Years After Teen Worked in Nazi Camp, a Conviction
Irmgard Furchner, 97, aka 'Secretary of Evil,' found guilty of being accessory to murder at Stutthof
- A German court on Tuesday convicted a 97-year-old woman of being an accessory to murder in over 10,000 cases for her role as a secretary to the SS commander of the Nazis' Stutthof concentration camp during World War II, the AP reports. Irmgard Furchner was accused of being part...
Pope Proclaims Polish Couple
Who Hid Jews Martyrs
Dec 18, 2022 3:50 PM CST
Pope Proclaims Polish Couple Who Hid Jews Martyrs
Francis honors Jozef and Wiktoria Ulma
- Pope Francis has declared a Polish couple executed by German police during World War II for hiding Jews in their farmhouse martyrs. A farmer and beekeeper, Jozef Ulma, and his wife, Wiktoria, in the Polish town of Markowa hid several members of the Jewish community, who were being hunted down...
Exploding Gift From Ukraine
Injures Poland's Police Chief
Dec 18, 2022 8:01 AM CST
Exploding Gift From Ukraine Injures Poland's Police Chief
Grenade launcher was thought to have been defused
- The top police official in Poland has provided details about a weird explosion that sent him to the hospital for observation. Gen. Jaroslaw Szymczyk says he received two supposedly defused grenade launchers as a gift from Ukraine—one, for example, had been turned into a loudspeaker. At least one of...
Russian Pranksters Trick
Polish Leader. Again
Nov 22, 2022 11:31 AM CST
Russian Pranksters Trick Polish Leader. Again
This time, callers pose as French leader Macron
- Russian comedians pretending to be the French president tricked the Polish president, Andrzej Duda, into giving them sensitive information after a missile exploded in eastern Poland last week. Duda's office confirmed on Tuesday that he was put through last week to a person claiming to be France's president,...
AP Reporter Canned Over Story
on Deadly Missile in Poland
Nov 22, 2022 9:12 AM CST
AP Reporter Canned Over Story on Deadly Missile in Poland
James LaPorta cited anonymous US official who suggested missile was Russian; it was Ukrainian
- The world held its breath last week after a report suggested two missiles had been fired by Russia amid its war in Ukraine and killed two people in Poland—an incident that could have qualified as a breach against a NATO nation and possibly triggered a military response from western...
NATO, Poland: No, Missile
Wasn't Fired by Russia
Nov 16, 2022 8:14 AM CST
NATO, Poland: No, Missile Wasn't Fired by Russia
Jens Stoltenberg, Polish prez say fatal incident was most likely Ukrainian air defense missile
- First President Biden expressed doubt that a missile that killed two in Poland had been fired by Russia. Now, NATO's chief and Poland's president are doing the same. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that there is "no indication" of a deliberate Russian attack and preliminary...
Biden: 'Unlikely' Missile That Hit
Poland Was Fired From Russia
Nov 15, 2022 10:08 PM CST
Biden: 'Unlikely' Missile That Hit Poland Was Fired From Russia
He spoke to NATO, G7 leaders in Indonesia
- President Biden said Wednesday it was “unlikely” that a missile that killed two in NATO-ally Poland was fired from Russia, but he pledged support for Poland's investigation into what it had called a “Russian-made” missile, the AP reports. Biden spoke after he convened an “emergency” meeting...
Pentagon Investigating Reports
Russian Missiles Hit Poland
Nov 15, 2022 3:00 PM CST
Pentagon Investigating Reports Russian Missiles Hit Poland
'We will defend every inch of NATO territory,' Pentagon spokesman says
- The Pentagon says it is looking into reports that two missiles hit Poland—a NATO ally—during Russia's bombardment of Ukraine Tuesday. The AP quoted a "senior US intelligence official" speaking on condition of anonymity as saying two people were killed when apparent Russian missiles hit a site...
to Go to Auschwitz
Nov 15, 2022 9:55 AM CST
He Volunteered to Go to Auschwitz
Witold Pilecki was executed by Poland after the war, and his son is now seeking compensation
- The son of World War II Auschwitz death camp hero Witold Pilecki is seeking millions in compensation from the Polish government for his father's post-war arrest and 1948 execution by the country's communist authorities of the time. The case opened last week before a Warsaw court and the...
to Record Every
Oct 1, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Poland Begins to Record Every Pregnancy
Government insists there's no connection to its anti-abortion law
- A new regulation that came into force in Poland on Saturday requiring women's pregnancy information to be uploaded to the national digital system has raised concerns among organizations that it could be another means for the conservative government to control women's lives. Women's groups suggested that the...
New Canal in Poland
Means Fewer Ties to Russia
Sep 19, 2022 11:18 AM CDT
New Canal in Poland Means Fewer Ties to Russia
Waterway means ships won't need Moscow's permission to enter Vistula Lagoon ports
- Poland’s top leaders celebrated over the weekend the opening of a new—albeit unfinished—canal that they say will mean ships no longer must secure Russia's permission to sail from the Baltic Sea to the ports of the Vistula Lagoon. The event was timed to mark 83 years...
Centuries Ago, They Buried
Her With a Sickle and Padlock
Sep 9, 2022 8:16 AM CDT
Centuries Ago, They Buried Her With a Sickle and Padlock
17th-century locals in Poland apparently thought the woman was a vampire
- Archaeologists who discovered a 17th-century grave in Poland found three telltale clues about the buried woman: She had protruding front teeth, a padlock around her big toe, and a sickle placed strategically over her throat. Conclusion: People thought she was a vampire and buried her with the lock and sickle...
Poland Wants Huge War
Reparations From Germany
Sep 1, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Poland Wants Huge War Reparations From Germany
Government to seek $1.3T, but Germany says the matter is long closed
- Poland will seek the equivalent of some $1.3 trillion in reparations from Germany for the Nazis' World War II invasion and occupation of the country. Jaroslaw Kaczynski, leader of the ruling Law and Justice party, announced the huge claim at the release of a long-awaited report on the cost...
Tons of Dead Fish
in River: 'Most Likely
Dealing With a Crime'
Aug 13, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
Poland is recruiting soldiers to help deal with 'ecological catastrophe'
- Poland has deployed soldiers to help clean up the Oder River, which runs along the border with Germany, after 10 tons of dead fish surfaced from the waterway in what one official described as an "ecological catastrophe." An association of fishers in Zielona Gora, a city in the...
King Bluetooth Lies at Center
of an Archaeological Dispute
Aug 1, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
King Bluetooth Lies at Center of an Archaeological Dispute
Archaeologist and researcher say he was buried in Poland, but they don't agree on where
- More than 1,000 years after his death in what's now Poland, a European king whose nickname lives on through wireless technology is at the center of an archaeological dispute. Chronicles from the Middle Ages say King Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson of Denmark acquired his nickname courtesy of a...
Polish Institute Labels Cats
'Invasive Alien Species'
Jul 26, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
Polish Institute Labels Cats 'Invasive Alien Species'
Biologist Wojciech Solarz defends move spurred by bird deaths
- A Polish scientific institute has classified domestic cats as an "invasive alien species," citing the damage they cause to birds and other wildlife. Some cat lovers have reacted emotionally to this month's decision and put the key scientist behind it on the defensive. Wojciech Solarz, a biologist...
In Former Nazi Camp,
a Devastating Find
Jul 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
In Former Nazi Camp, a Devastating Find
Burned remains of 8K bodies found as Poland continues to press Germany for WWII reparations
- A mass grave containing human ashes representing an estimated 8,000 people has been discovered near the former Nazi concentration camp of Soldau in northern Poland. The country's Institute of National Remembrance, which investigates crimes committed during the Nazi occupation of World War II and the subsequent period of...
Ukraine Can't Have 'KyivPride'
in Kyiv, but It's Still Having It
Jun 25, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Ukraine Can't Have 'KyivPride' in Kyiv, but It's Still Having It
Country's largest LGBTQ event will take place in Poland, joining huge Pride event in Warsaw
- Ukraine's largest LGBTQ rights event, KyivPride, is going ahead on Saturday. But not on its native streets, and not as a celebration. It will instead join Warsaw's yearly Equality Parade, the largest gay pride event in central Europe, using it as a platform to keep international attention focused...
Józef Walaszczyk Saved
Scores of Jews During WWII
Jun 21, 2022 7:22 PM CDT
Józef Walaszczyk Saved Scores of Jews During WWII
Member of Polish resistance bribed German official to rescue factory employees
- Józef Walaszczyk, a member of the Polish resistance who rescued dozens of Jews during the Nazi German occupation of Poland during World War II, has died. He was 102 and died Monday, according to the Institute of National Remembrance, a Polish state historical body. Walaszczyk fell in love during...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.