Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Helmet Levels
Playing Field for Deaf Players
Nov 4, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
New Helmet Levels Playing Field for Deaf Players
Gallaudet's invention has a digital readout display that may also apply to life outside sports
- Shelby Bean could not help but feel a bit jealous. As a deaf football player for four years at Gallaudet, he called defensive plays with American Sign Language and dealt with other obstacles hearing opponents never need to worry about. Now an assistant coach, he was on the sideline earlier...
for Me, Thanks
Jul 10, 2023 12:02 PM CDT
Star Cera: No Smartphone for Me, Thanks
Actor's flip phone kept him from taking part in film's group chat
- If you happen to spot someone these days who's still carrying around a flip phone, they're likely either an AARP member or trying to be retro. Michael Cera is neither, and proof that, per CNN , "sometimes stars aren't just like us." The 35-year-old
In 22 Words, Tech Leaders
Warn of Colossal AI Risks
May 30, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
In 22 Words, Tech Leaders Warn of Colossal AI Risks
The statement compares AI danger to pandemics and nuclear weapons
- A host of tech industry leaders published a stark warning about the real dangers of artificial intelligence Tuesday. The statement published by the nonprofit Center for AI Safety reads, "Mitigating the risk of extinction from AI should be a global priority alongside other societal-scale risks such as pandemics and...
If You Want to Keep Your
Dusty Gmail Account, Act Now
May 17, 2023 12:27 PM CDT
If You Want to Keep Your Dusty Gmail Account, Act Now
If you haven't used an old Gmail account for two years or longer, sign in to keep it
- Even a global tech behemoth like Google has to do a little housecleaning sometimes. In a blog post published Tuesday, Google VP of Product Management Ruth Kricheli announced changes to the company's inactive account policies. Kricheli said that starting in December, the company will begin deleting accounts that have...
Missing Tech CEO's Remains
Found 18 Months Later
May 10, 2023 2:52 PM CDT
Missing Tech CEO's Remains Found 18 Months Later
Sober Grid founder Beau Mann was found a mile from where he was last seen
- Beau Mann—the 39-year-old founder of Sober Grid, an app designed to aid addicts in recovery—disappeared after a mysterious Uber ride 18 months ago. His remains have now been found, reports SF Gate , and in a Facebook statement, his family said he'd been identified through dental records. The...
Google Warns 3B Users
of New Chrome 'Zero Day'
Apr 16, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Google Warns 3B Users of New Chrome 'Zero Day'
The search giant says hackers know about the issue and can exploit it
- Google has released a security update for its Chrome web browser addressing issues, including one it considers a severe risk. For over 3 billion global Chrome users, the April 11 discovery of the first known Zero Day vulnerability of the year adds urgency to the call for users to update...
High-Tech Japan Struggles
to Ditch Floppy Disks
Sep 2, 2022 10:22 AM CDT
High-Tech Japan Struggles to Ditch Floppy Disks
Nation's digital minister pledges to get rid of them in government use
- Japan may be known for its tech savvy, but government offices still use the humble floppy disk for data storage. As a result, the nation's digital minister has announced that he is declaring "war" on the technology, which first surfaced in the 1960s, reports the
Sydney Morning Herald
We Hardly Liked Ye
Jun 15, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Goodbye, Internet Explorer, We Hardly Liked Ye
Microsoft stops supporting the once-dominant browser today
- Internet Explorer is finally headed out to pasture. As of Wednesday, Microsoft will no longer support the once-dominant browser that legions of web surfers loved to hate—and a few still claim to adore, per the AP . The 27-year-old application now joins BlackBerry phones, dial-up modems, and Palm Pilots in...
An Artificial Nose
Is Sniffing Out
Apr 19, 2022 9:42 AM CDT
An Artificial Nose Is Sniffing Out Fake Whiskey
Study suggests NOS.E prototype is quite accurate and quick to boot
- Few people can identify a whiskey from only a sniff—which is a problem for those willing to pay more than $10,000 for a supposedly rare dram in an industry proliferated by fake vintages . At least it was a problem before the NOS.E—an electronic nose that researchers...
This BMW Changes Color
at the Touch of a Button
Jan 6, 2022 11:40 AM CST
This BMW Changes Color at the Touch of a Button
E-ink vehicle wrap works like an e-reader
- The future could see you changing the color of your car with the touch of a button. The technology already exists, as BMW showcased Tuesday at CES, the annual consumer technology trade show in Las Vegas. The car maker unveiled an SUV whose exterior can change from white to black...
Here Are the
Perks to Best Buy's
$200 Annual Membership
Apr 8, 2021 7:26 AM CDT
Here Are the Perks to Best Buy's $200 Annual Membership
Including installation services, unlimited tech support, free shipping
- Love your devices, but hate dealing with issues? Best Buy is testing a new annual membership program to rival Amazon Prime. For $199.99 per year (or $179.99 per year with the Best Buy credit card), customers can enjoy unlimited tech support from the Geek Squad, free installations of...
Can You Stay Away From Tech
for a Day? $2.4K Awaits
Mar 22, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Can You Stay Away From Tech for a Day? $2.4K Awaits
Reviews.org's 'detox' challenge offers the chance to ditch your phone, TV, other devices for cash prize
- Could you go a whole day without checking your smartphone, posting on Instagram, and watching TV? There could be $2,400 in it for you if you think you're up for the task. CNN reports on the 2021 Digital Detox Challenge being held by Reviews.org , which offers a...
Christopher Walken Has
a Surprising Confession
in case you missed it
Dec 19, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Christopher Walken Has a Surprising Confession
77-year-old actor says he's never sent a text or email
- Christopher Walken says he doesn't have any moral or philosophical objections to modern communications technology—he just doesn't use it. The 77-year-old actor told Stephen Colbert on
The Late Show
on Monday that he has never owned a computer or sent an email or text message. "Somebody...
One State's New Car-Repair
Law Could Affect Everyone
Nov 5, 2020 12:08 PM CST
One State's New Car-Repair Law Could Affect Everyone
Massachusetts will require automakers to share computer data on vehicles
- One of the under-the-radar state ballot items in 2020 has the potential to affect everyone who owns an automobile. In Massachusetts, voters easily approved a measure that will require automakers to share computer data on vehicles with independent shops, reports Reuters . If history repeats, this could become the national norm....
Oct 25, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Founder of Electronics Dynasty Has Died
Lee Kun-hee transformed Samsung
- The man who turned Samsung into a tech powerhouse—and nearly lost it all amid white-collar crime convictions—died Sunday in Seoul, the
reports. Lee Kun-hee was 78. "Chairman Lee was a true visionary who transformed Samsung into the world-leading innovator and industrial powerhouse from a local...
Nokia Gets 4G Lunar Contract
Oct 18, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Nokia Gets 4G Lunar Contract
NASA wants a cellular network up there
- To the moon, Alice! And call me when you get there. Yes, NASA is giving Nokia $14.1 million to install a cellular network on that big rock in the sky, Mashable reports. The idea is to deploy a 4G/LTE network—and later move to 5G—to "support lunar...
Pompeo on Possible
TikTok Ban: 'US Will
Get This One Right'
Jul 7, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Pompeo on Possible TikTok Ban: 'US Will Get This One Right'
Secretary of state says US is 'looking at' banning popular app, other social media apps out of China
- Amid a year fraught with trade issues and a Cold War-style arms race between the United States and China, a new alleged threat is now on the radar: the popular TikTok app, whose parent company is Beijing's ByteDance. Per CNBC , Secretary of State Mike Pompeo appeared on Laura Ingraham'...
For Poorer Students, School
Shutdowns Illustrate a Problem
Mar 30, 2020 11:51 AM CDT
For Poorer Students, School Shutdowns Illustrate a Problem
Some families don't have internet or computers at home
- The pandemic that has launched a massive, unplanned experiment with distance learning has created extraordinary hurdles for schoolchildren left behind by the digital divide, per the AP . School districts and governments are now racing to give the millions of US students without home internet a chance of keeping up. Nationwide,...
Here Are the 10
Jobs in America
Dec 11, 2019 9:20 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Fastest-Growing Jobs in America
LinkedIn's annual report is out
- The "jobs of tomorrow" are here—or, at least the ones that look the most promising for 2020. LinkedIn has published its third annual "Emerging Jobs Report," which took all public profiles of LinkedIn members who've held a full-time job over the past five years, then...
Dear Self-Righteous Hikers,
Enough With the Tech Shaming
Nov 15, 2019 10:31 AM CST
Dear Self-Righteous Hikers, Enough With the Tech Shaming
Essayist at 'Outside' is tired of the judgy comments, often directed at newbies
- A warning to anyone who uses a phone on a hike, a run, or any other kind of outdoor activity: You will be judged. In an essay at
, Marissa Stephenson writes that it's time for the tech shaming to stop. Stephenson listens to podcasts when she runs, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.