Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Picks Flake for Turkey
Jul 13, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
Biden Picks Flake for Turkey
Republican supported president over Trump in election
- President Biden on Tuesday nominated former Sen. Jeff Flake, a Republican who endorsed his 2020 run for the White House, to serve as US ambassador to Turkey. Flake served in the US Senate from Arizona from 2013 to 2019 and in the House from 2001 to 2013. Flake retired from...
Arizona GOP Censures
3 of Its Own Big Names
Jan 25, 2021 2:00 AM CST
Arizona GOP Censures 3 of Its Own Big Names
Cindy McCain says it's a 'badge of honor'
- Former President Trump is out of the White House, but that hasn't stopped the Arizona Republican Party from doubling down on its support for him—and censuring those it considers disloyal. At the end of a seven-hour meeting Saturday, party members voted by a wide margin to censure Gov,...
Jeff Flake Has Unique Take
on Senate Trial of Trump
Sep 28, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
Jeff Flake Has Unique Take on Senate Trial of Trump
The former Arizona senator says 'there's not a lot of love for the president'
- Former Sen. Jeff Flake has his own take on how the Senate would respond to President Trump's impeachment, Fox News reports. "At least 35" Republican senators would support impeachment if the vote were held privately, he said Thursday at the 2019 Texas Tribune Festival. "I heard someone...
Kavanaugh Now Looks
Like a Lock for Court
Oct 5, 2018 2:53 PM CDT
Kavanaugh Now Looks Like a Lock for Court
Democrats' hopes of stopping the nominee just took a major hit
- The smart money now says Brett Kavanaugh will be the next Supreme Court justice. That became evident Friday afternoon when the Democrats' last big hope, Republican Susan Collins, announced that she would vote yes on confirmation, reports the
. After her announcement, Democrat Joe Manchin, another swing vote, said...
Brett Kavanaugh Just
Passed a Big Hurdle
Oct 5, 2018 9:53 AM CDT
Brett Kavanaugh Just Passed a Big Hurdle
He gets enough votes in crucial Senate procedural test
- Brett Kavanaugh just passed a crucial hurdle in the Senate, though his ascension to the Supreme Court is still not assured. Kavanaugh's nomination passed a procedural vote that allows it to move forward, reports Reuters . The count was 51-49. The final vote on whether to confirm Kavanaugh is expected...
Brett Kavanaugh's Chances
Just Got a Lot Better
Oct 4, 2018 12:12 PM CDT
Brett Kavanaugh's Chances Just Got a Lot Better
Undecided Republicans Jeff Flake and Susan Collins sound satisfied with FBI report
- The early reaction of two pivotal GOP senators to the FBI's new Brett Kavanaugh investigation sounds like good news for the Supreme Court nominee. “We’ve seen no additional corroborating information," said Jeff Flake after being briefed on the 46-page report. And Susan Collins said "it...
3 Key Senators Have Problem
With Trump's Ford Imitation
Oct 3, 2018 12:48 PM CDT
3 Key Senators Have Problem With Trump's Ford Imitation
Sens. Flake, Murkowski, and Collins respond
- Three senators on Wednesday publicly criticized President Trump's imitation of Christine Blasey Ford on Tuesday night, and they're senators who matter. GOP Sens. Jeff Flake, Susan Collins, and Lisa Murkowski, all "critical Republican swing votes," as CNN puts it, shared their reaction to Trump's account...
What Happened Inside
Sen. Flake's Head?
Sep 29, 2018 1:40 PM CDT
What Happened Inside Sen. Flake's Head?
Ana María Archila and Maria Gallagher made an angry impact
- Did two women just affect the course of Supreme Court history? One of the women who angrily confronted Sen. Jeff Flake outside an elevator Thursday—perhaps influencing him to demand an FBI investigation into sexual-assault claims against Brett Kavanaugh—says they did alter things. "His reaction shows the power...
Abuse Survivor Confronts
Jeff Flake in Elevator
Sep 28, 2018 11:33 AM CDT
Abuse Survivor Confronts Jeff Flake in Elevator
After the undecided senator announced he'd vote for Kavanaugh
- Jeff Flake made big headlines Friday morning when he announced he would vote in favor of Brett Kavanaugh, making it all but certain the judge will be approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee. But the Republican senator from Arizona quickly learned that his decision had angered those who oppose Kavanaugh....
Just Got Much Brighter
Sep 28, 2018 9:13 AM CDT
Kavanaugh's Prospects Just Got Much Brighter
GOP's Jeff Flake will back him, making approval likely in Senate committee Friday afternoon
- After Thursday's high drama , the Senate Judiciary Committee looks poised to advance Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination to the full Senate. The vote is scheduled for 1:30pm Eastern, reports NPR . Going into the day, the main suspense had been whether Republican Jeff Flake of Arizona would side...
Kavanaugh's Accuser Is Willing
to Testify Before Senate
Sep 17, 2018 6:55 AM CDT
Kavanaugh's Accuser Is Willing to Testify Before Senate
GOP senator Jeff Flake says she should be heard before a vote takes place
- Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court no longer appears to be a sure thing. After detailed accusations from a woman who says Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her when they were both teenagers were published Sunday, Republican Sen. Jeff Flake, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he was...
5 Lines From Jeff Flake's
Speech Against Trump
Jan 17, 2018 11:04 AM CST
5 Lines From Jeff Flake's Speech Against Trump
President 'uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies'
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake on Wednesday gave the speech he's been promising to give about President Trump, one in which he finds it chilling that Trump borrows a phrase from Josef Stalin to describe the media as the "enemy of the people." CBS News has the transcript...
Compares Trump to Stalin
Jan 15, 2018 6:15 PM CST
Republican Senator Compares Trump to Stalin
Jeff Flake will take his fight with the president to the floor of the Senate Wednesday
- It isn't often that a member of the U.S. Senate compares the president of the United States and the leader of his own party to Josef Stalin, but that's just what Jeff Flake did today, Politico reports. Appearing on MSNBC, the Arizona Republican said that Trump's...
Arpaio on Senate Run:
'The President Needs Me'
Jan 9, 2018 11:02 AM CST
Arpaio on Senate Run: 'The President Needs Me'
Controversial ex-sheriff of Maricopa County announces his bid for seat to be vacated by Flake
- Arizona's most high-profile former sheriff had said he was mulling a Senate run , and it now looks like he's made up his mind. "I think Washington needs me, the president needs me," Joe Arpaio told Talking Points Memo on Tuesday, confirming he'll enter the race....
Ghost of Election 2018
Dec 25, 2017 7:32 AM CST
Ghost of Election 2018 Looms Ominously for Republicans
Departing GOP lawmakers have warnings for own party to move to avoid 2018 losses
- Departing Republican lawmakers are playing the Ghost of Christmas Future, and they're warning their own party of grim results come Election Day 2018, reports the
Washington Post .
"When you look at some of the audiences cheering for Republicans ... you say, ‘Those are the spasms of a dying...
GOP's Jeff Flake Tweaks Own
Party With Tweet of Check
Dec 5, 2017 6:16 PM CST
GOP's Jeff Flake Tweaks Own Party With Tweet of Check
It shows his donation to Democrat Doug Jones in Arizona
- A modest $100 donation to Democrat Doug Jones is drawing attention in his Senate race against Roy Moore in Alabama. The reason? It's from Republican Sen. Jeff Flake, who is backing the opposite-party candidate in the crucial race. The Arizona senator tweeted an image of his check, and the...
Jeff Flake Plans Senate
Speeches on Trump, Truth
Nov 30, 2017 4:07 AM CST
Jeff Flake Plans Senate Speeches on Trump, Truth
'Alternative facts' are damaging democracy, he says
- Sen. Jeff Flake is free to speak his mind after deciding not to run for re-election in Arizona —and the Republican plans to do so in a series of speeches on the Senate floor targeting President Trump and stressing the value of telling the truth. Flake tells NPR that...
Nov 29, 2017 10:31 AM CST
McCain Could Have Another Thumbs-Down Moment
Senate vote on tax bill might be a close one
- Perhaps not for the first time , President Trump may be regretting his digs at John McCain, given that the Arizona senator could decide the fate of the GOP tax bill. In order to pass the Senate, all GOP senators but two need to vote yes. Though vocal critics Bob Corker...
Ivanka, Jeff Flake Uttered
Dictionary.com's Word of Year
Nov 27, 2017 11:50 AM CST
Ivanka, Jeff Flake Uttered Dictionary.com's Word of Year
So did Scarlett Johansson
- Russian election influence, the ever-widening sexual harassment scandal, mass shootings, and the opioid epidemic helped elevate the word "complicit" as Dictionary.com's word of the year for 2017. Look-ups of the word increased nearly 300% over last year as "complicit" hit just about every hot button, from...
Don't Overlook One Key Point
in the Flake-Trump Fight
Oct 25, 2017 8:21 AM CDT
Don't Overlook One Key Point in the Flake-Trump Fight
President still enjoys the public support of virtually every Republican member of Congress
- President Trump took a public drubbing from outgoing Sens. Jeff Flake and Bob Corker on Tuesday, but he doesn't sound fazed by the criticism from his fellow Republicans. "The reason Flake and Corker dropped out of the Senate race is very simple, they had zero chance of being...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.