Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here's the 'Best' Time to Send
a Work Email—but Maybe Don't
Aug 26, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Here's the 'Best' Time to Send a Work Email—but Maybe Don't
It's most likely to get opened on a Sunday afternoon, though it also may tick off workers
- It's what everybody just loves to get—a work email on a Sunday afternoon. But by one measure, that is the best time for bosses to send one out, according to communications software company Axios HQ . The firm crunched data on nearly 9 million company emails and found that...
The #LazyGirlJob Trend
Could Backfire on Gen Z
Jul 29, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
The #LazyGirlJob Trend Could Backfire on Gen Z
Flexible, remote jobs are likely to be among the first cut, writes Megan McArdle
- The idea behind the viral TikTok trend #lazygirljob, touted by influencer Gabrielle Judge and others, is to find a low-stress, extremely flexible, remote job that pays the bills while allowing for a decent work-life balance. The trend isn't specific to women. It's "the latest iteration of 20-...
Large Test of 4-Day Workweek
Ends, and Everybody's Happy
Feb 21, 2023 2:58 PM CST
Large Test of 4-Day Workweek Ends, and Everybody's Happy
Workers and companies will keep going in Britain
- Work less, get more. A trial of a four-day workweek in Britain, billed as the world's largest, has found that an overwhelming majority of the 61 companies that participated over six months last year will keep going with the shorter hours, per the AP . Most employees reported having less...
Court Sides With Man Fired
for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Nov 28, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
French man objected to the abundance of booze and crude jokes
- A white-collar worker in France has won an unusual court case related to his firing. The man, identified in court documents as Mr. T, says he wasn't fired for job performance but because he wasn't "fun" enough in the eyes of his employer, reports Insider . He'd...
Two Dirty Words in Modern
Workplace: 'pls fix'
Oct 15, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Two Dirty Words in Modern Workplace: 'pls fix'
'Wall Street Journal' digs into the phrase dreaded by young professionals
- This year, the phrase "quiet quitting" has entered the workplace lexicon, as has its opposite, "overemployed." Now the
Wall Street Journal
digs into another new workplace phrase, one dreaded by young professionals: "pls fix." As in, that terse phrase shows up in emails at all...
You've Heard of Quiet Quitting.
What About 'Overemployed'?
Sep 13, 2022 12:14 PM CDT
You've Heard of Quiet Quitting. What About 'Overemployed'?
That workplace trend is about people working 2 jobs in secret
- This year's buzzword about the workplace is "quiet quitting" —generally described as workers deciding to do the bare minimum for their employers. But the CBC and Sidekick explore a trend that's close to the polar opposite in terms of work ethic. It involves people working two...
They'll Work 80% of the Hours,
Get 100% of the Pay
Jun 6, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
They'll Work 80% of the Hours, Get 100% of the Pay
Biggest trial of 4-day workweek begins
- The Sunday scaries may have been less of an issue for 3,300 British workers who on Monday began what is being touted as the largest trial of a four-day workweek in the world. The 6-month pilot involves 70 varied companies who are giving the 100:80:100 model a...
Modern Workers, Welcome
to the 'Triple Peak Day'
Apr 5, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Modern Workers, Welcome to the 'Triple Peak Day'
Microsoft detects surge of activity at about 9pm
- Once upon a time, white-collar workers went to the office and had two predictable peaks of productivity—just before lunch and just after lunch. Two years after the pandemic upended our world, Microsoft has detected a third burst of activity, this time at night. In a blog post , its researchers...
A Case for Ditching the Career
to Embrace 'Lying Flat'
Aug 23, 2021 1:45 PM CDT
A Case for Ditching the Career to Embrace 'Lying Flat'
Cassady Rosenblum writes about the movement in essay for 'NYT'
- "Work has become intolerable. Rest is resistance." That's the message of the "lying flat" movement that kicked off in China in April and is now starting to take hold globally as a pushback against the 24/7 hamster wheel of capitalism, detailed in Cassady Rosenblum's op-ed...
A 25-Hour Week?
Work Life May Be Changing
Jun 19, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
A 25-Hour Week? Work Life May Be Changing
More flexible schedules might be the norm in post-pandemic world
- The pandemic has forced a reassessment of the work-life balance for many, and a story in
chimes in by making the case for a five-hour workday. The idea is that the traditional eight-hour day at the office is filled with wasted time and that a more concentrated stretch—with,...
Here Are the
Feb 22, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Here Are the Hardest-Working US Cities
Alaska's Anchorage comes out on top, Detroit dead last
- Work has been hard to come by during the pandemic, but Americans' work ethic in general remains strong. WalletHub wanted to find out which US cities have the hardest workers, and so the site looked at 116 of the country's biggest cities across nearly a dozen metrics in two...
These Are the
Aug 31, 2020 9:19 AM CDT
These Are the Biggest Slacking US States
North Dakota isn't one of them
- Despite massive unemployment right now across the nation, WalletHub finds that Americans work pretty darn hard—whether it's because they want to, have to, or have the perception they have to. To find out which states really roll up their sleeves, the site looked at all 50 states across...
Could Be the
May 20, 2020 1:28 PM CDT
Ardern Thinks 4-Day Workweek Could Be the Answer
Says policy could boost productivity, tourism in New Zealand
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is backing a four-day workweek as a way to help the country adjust to the COVID-19 pandemic. Ardern said Monday that more flexible work options could boost productivity and domestic tourism, especially with foreign tourists currently prohibited from entering the country. "I hear...
For Only 2nd Time,
Women Have Done
This in the Workforce
Jan 11, 2020 6:30 AM CST
For Only 2nd Time, Women Have Done This in the Workforce
Not since 2010 have women held more jobs than the guys
- In what the
Wall Street Journal
says could be a sign of the "future of the American workforce," Labor Department data released Friday revealed who's taken hold of the most jobs in the US—and it's the ladies. Not counting the self-employed and farmworkers, women held...
This Firm Cut Its Workweek to
4 Days, With Surprising Results
Nov 4, 2019 9:35 AM CST
This Firm Cut Its Workweek to 4 Days, With Surprising Results
Microsoft Japan's monthlong experiment saw a nearly 40% boost in productivity
- Japanese employees are known for their work ethic, to the point where it can often be excessive: As CNBC notes, there's even a term there—"karoshi," or "death by overwork"—that has cropped up due to workers dying on the job . Yet Fox News reports...
Here Are the US Cities
With the Best Work Ethic
Feb 25, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Here Are the US Cities With the Best Work Ethic
The Lone Star state has some hardworking folks
- Do you work to live or live to work? It might depend on where you live. WalletHub decided to take a look at nearly 120 of America's biggest cities to see how their work ethic holds up, looking at both "direct" work factors—including the employment rate, average...
Aug 27, 2017 1:30 PM CDT
Work-Life Balance Gets Trickier After 35
More people feel stressed and underappreciated
- The older we get, the more of us there are who don't like our jobs—at least according to a recent survey of more than 2,000 employees in the UK. Age 35 seems to be a tipping point: The number of those who are unhappy at work more...
Town May Pay
Workers to Take
a Sex Break
Feb 24, 2017 8:56 AM CST
Town May Pay Workers to Take a Sex Break
Swedish councilman floats the proposal
- Spending too much time at work and not enough time with your partner? A Swedish politician has a solution: Employees should be paid to go home and have sex. Per-Erik Muskos, a council member in the small town of Övertorneå, argues that couples aren't spending enough time together...
Japanese CEO Quits
Dec 29, 2016 12:21 PM CST
Japanese CEO Quits After Overworked Employee's Suicide
Matsuri Takahashi isn't only victim of 'karoshi,' or 'death from overwork'
- "It's 4am. My body's trembling. I'm going to die." That was reportedly one of Matsuri Takahashi's tweets not long before she killed herself last year by leaping from a dorm at Dentsu, the ad company where the 24-year-old worked, per the
New York Times
We Work an Hour Longer
Each Day Than Europeans
Oct 19, 2016 1:35 PM CDT
We Work an Hour Longer Each Day Than Europeans
New study finds quite a disparity
- Feel like you're working too much? Consider moving to Europe: Europeans work 19% fewer hours than US workers, or about one hour less per weekday, a new paper finds. Researchers looked at three labor-force surveys from the US and Europe to find out how many hours a person works,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Amazon Driver Dropped the Box. The Snake Struck
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.