Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
$1.8B Verdict Could Shake Up
the Way You Sell Your Home
Nov 1, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
$1.8B Verdict Could Shake Up the Way You Sell Your Home
Jury found conspiracy among real estate agents regarding commissions
- Amid an unforgiving housing market, an apparent win for beleaguered home sellers: A federal jury on Tuesday found the National Association of Realtors (NAR), along with real estate firms Keller Williams Realty and HomeServices of America, conspired to keep home commissions artificially high. They were ordered to pay nearly $1....
'Basic Homeownership' Now
Costs a Third of Your Paycheck
Oct 2, 2023 8:38 AM CDT
'Basic Homeownership' Now Costs a Third of Your Paycheck
Home prices are rising along with mortgage rates, pricing out potential buyers: ATTOM
- "Home ownership keeps getting tougher," according to real estate data provider ATTOM, which finds the average American can't afford to buy a home in communities across the country. In a new report , researchers examined median 2022 home prices in 575 US counties and found 99% of prices...
The Era of the Smaller
Home Is Upon Us
Sep 9, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
The Era of the Smaller Home Is Upon Us
Square footage is dropping, as are accompanying home prices, as homebuilders try to attract buyers
- With the cost of housing so high these days, it's no wonder that many have given up on the idea of homeownership, at least for the time being. Now, homebuilders appear to have hit on a solution of sorts, at least for those willing to embrace minimalism: erecting smaller...
Higher Mortgage Rates
Drive Home Prices Down
Jun 28, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Higher Mortgage Rates Drive Home Prices Down
Index nevertheless shows a monthly increase
- For the first time in 11 years, home prices have shown a year-over-year price decline nationally. The S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller National Home Price Index recorded a 0.2% drop in April, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. April 2012 was the last time prices had fallen from a year before....
A Win for Couple Who Alleged
Racial Bias in Home Valuation
Mar 9, 2023 11:38 AM CST
A Win for Couple Who Alleged Racial Bias in Home Valuation
Paul Austin, Tenisha Tate-Austin settle lawsuit with appraisal company, hope to bring change
- A Black couple who said the value of their California home increased by almost $500,000 when they had a white friend stand in as the owner have settled a lawsuit with the appraisal company. Paul Austin and Tenisha Tate-Austin of the San Francisco suburb of Marin City will receive...
Home Prices Just
That's Actually Big
Aug 25, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
Home Prices Just Dropped 0.77%. That's Actually Big
It's the largest month-over-month decrease since 2011
- It's good news for would-be home buyers, even if it sounds like teeny tiny good news. Home prices dropped 0.77% in July compared to the month prior, marking the first time in three years they've moved in a downward direction, reports CNBC . It's also the biggest...
In These 10 Cities,
Open Up Your
Wallet to Buy
May 22, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
On the West Coast especially
- It's a seller's market, and home prices are booming. The Hill notes that US housing price tags were on an upward climb for decades before COVID, but now that the pandemic is starting to wane, the spike is even more pronounced. Current home prices are coming in at...
Rising Mortgage Rates Throw
Complicated Wrench in Market
Apr 8, 2022 12:04 PM CDT
Rising Mortgage Rates Throw Complicated Wrench in Market
They make it more expensive to buy but also could lead to lower prices
- Mortgage rates on a 30-year loan just clocked in at 4.72%, the highest since 2018, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. That's up from 3% last summer, which translates into a quite a dent in prospective homeowners' wallets, notes NPR . "It added like $700 a month in monthly...
Home Prices Rose All Over,
but in 2 Regions Especially
Feb 22, 2022 7:36 PM CST
Home Prices Rose All Over, but in 2 Regions Especially
National home price index jumped 18.8% in 2021
- Last year was the best of times for homeowners and the worst of times for those aspiring to own homes, according to a leading measure of home prices in major US metropolitan areas. The S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller National Home Price Index was up 18.8% for the year, the...
Home Prices Top
$350K for the First Time
Jun 22, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Home Prices Top $350K for the First Time
But with buyers squeezed out, the rate of sales is starting to slow down
- The median home price in the US has topped $350,000 for the first time—but with record prices squeezing out buyers, some analysts say the market may be on the brink of cooling. The National Association of Realtors says the median existing-home price in May was $350,300, a...
'This Might Be the
Housing Market' Ever
May 28, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
'This Might Be the Most Competitive Housing Market' Ever
From Seattle to Wichita, homes are selling for well above list prices
- The red-hot US housing market is widening the gap between what a home is objectively worth and what eager buyers are willing to pay for it. Fierce competition amid an ultra-low inventory of homes on the market is fueling bidding wars, prompting a growing share of would-be buyers to sweeten...
Local Home Prices
May 12, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
NYC Mayoral Candidates Wildly Underestimate Local Home Prices
Ex-HUD chief Shaun Donovan, investment banker Ray McGuire miss the mark big time on Brooklyn
- Two candidates for New York City mayor had their Lucille Bluth moment this week after they were both wildly off in their estimate on the cost of local housing. The
New York Times
notes that while neither Shaun Donovan nor Raymond McGuire is considered a frontrunner in the mayoral race,...
They Asked $1.15M for
Home, Got Double That
in case you missed it
Apr 4, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
They Asked $1.15M for Home, Got Double That
'It's kind of a unicorn,' agent says of Berkeley, Calif., property
- A home in Berkeley, Calif., was listed for $1.15 million—and just sold for twice that amount. Listing agent Jill Carrigan of Grubb Co., says it's the first time she’s seen a house sell for $1 million over the asking price. It's "an unusual feat...
Sea Levels Have Florida
Housing Market 'in Distress'
Oct 16, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Sea Levels Have Florida Housing Market 'in Distress'
Prices and number of sales are dropping in exposed coastal areas
- A 2018 study warned that 64,000 Florida homes were at risk to chronic flooding by 2045 because of rising sea levels. The figure rises to 1 million homes by 2100. Now, new research suggests this effect already is showing up in the state's real estate market, reports NPR...
First-Time Home Buyers
Should Look Here
May 27, 2019 10:52 AM CDT
First-Time Home Buyers Should Look Here
First American locates 10 most affordable cities for the group
- Americans looking to buy their first home should consider the Midwest and South, according to insurance firm First American . The company uses its own calculations, saying "any affordability metric that includes existing homeowners is wildly misleading to first-time homebuyers" since the former group can already afford a home, per...
10 Toughest Markets
to Afford a Home
Oct 31, 2016 8:11 AM CDT
10 Toughest Markets to Afford a Home
Brooklyn is steepest, when compared to average incomes
- Figuring out the "least affordable housing markets" in the US isn't just a matter of finding the highest prices. For its list, 24/7 Wall Street compared prices to an area's average income. By that standard, New York's Kings County—ie, Brooklyn—is priciest. The top 10:...
They Were a Bad Investment
Sep 11, 2016 2:14 PM CDT
Remember McMansions? They Were a Bad Investment
It's not just McMansions; luxury homes built earlier are also going for less
- McMansions, defined loosely as mass-produced homes built between 2001 and 2007 weighing in at 3,000 to 5,000 square feet, have long been teased as shoddily built, poorly designed, and outrageously unsophisticated—the fast food version of luxury homes. (See the anonymous blog McMansion Hell for examples.) They...
5 Towns That Prove the
Suburbs Aren't Always Cheap
Aug 19, 2016 8:49 AM CDT
5 Towns That Prove the Suburbs Aren't Always Cheap
Bel Air, Los Altos Hills make the list
- Think moving to the 'burbs will save you money? Not in these neighborhoods. Real estate firm Engel & Völkers has identified the priciest suburb around each of America's 10 most populous urban areas, based on the median home price. The top five, per
Home Too Toxic and
Dilapidated to Enter
Sells for $427K
Jul 7, 2016 2:19 PM CDT
Home Too Toxic and Dilapidated to Enter Sells for $427K
Seattle housing market is going crazy
- How crazy is the housing situation in one of the country's hottest markets? A dilapidated Seattle home described by the
as a "Halloween haunted house" recently sold for more than twice its listing price despite partially collapsed ceilings, five feet of standing water, toxic air, hazardous...
The 5 Most Unaffordable
Places to Live in the US
Oct 10, 2015 11:35 AM CDT
The 5 Most Unaffordable Places to Live in the US
California is bad, but it's not the worst
- Want to stretch your housing dollar? Then you're going to want to stay out of California. Business Insider used data on 582 US counties from RealtyTrac to figure out the 15 least-affordable counties to live in, defined by the percentage of a resident's average weekly wage it would...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.