Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
But Was It
Jul 25, 2022 3:27 PM CDT
She Ran Crazy Fast. But Was It Too Fast?
Some questioned how Tobi Amusan shaved 0.08 seconds off 100-meter hurdles record
- That Tobi Amusan of Nigeria won the women’s 100-meter hurdles Sunday at the world track and field championships in Eugene, Ore., wasn't a big shock. The 25-year-old has won big in the event at other games and finished fourth in the Tokyo Olympics last year. That she set...
Runner Finishes Half-Marathon,
Has Fatal Collapse
May 22, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Runner Finishes Half-Marathon, Has Fatal Collapse
No cause yet in Brooklyn, where it's been warmer than usual
- A 30-year-old man crossing the finish line of a Brooklyn half-marathon collapsed and died Saturday morning, per the AP . The runner was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead, fire department spokesperson Frank Dwyer said. It was unclear what caused the runner to collapse, though a statement...
in Race Goes Viral
May 12, 2022 1:32 PM CDT
7-Year-Old's Victory in Race Goes Viral
Talaya Crawford ran out of her shoe, retrieved it, then resumed running
- Talaya Crawford may be the daughter of champion boxer Terence "Bud" Crawford, but she established herself as an athlete in her own right Saturday during a 200-meter track race in Nebraska. The 7-year-old finished first in the pack—but it was what happened at the start of the race...
Plenty of People
Run in Central Park.
Just Not Like This
Apr 16, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Plenty of People Run in Central Park. Just Not Like This
Oz Pearlman logged a record 116 miles in a single day
- The New York City Marathon ends in Central Park. Oz Pearlman's April 8 run started
ended there—but the time between those two points, and the distance covered, was pretty epic. The
New York Times
reports the 39-year-old Brooklynite set out to get the "Fastest Known Time"...
Indian Teen's Midnight Routine
Goes Viral, Inspires Millions
Apr 2, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Indian Teen's Midnight Routine Goes Viral, Inspires Millions
Pradeep Mehra is humble, inspiring, and very popular with Indian military recruiters
- Pradeep Mehra was simply following his routine: a brisk 5-mile midnight run after a 10-hour shift at McDonald's. Filmmaker Vinod Kapri happened to be driving by and "was alarmed at first, worried that the boy was in trouble," according to NPR . It's no wonder, because judging...
Ultrarunner Camille Herron
Can Definitely Outrun You
Mar 5, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Ultrarunner Camille Herron Can Definitely Outrun You
She has earned the right to compare herself to fine wine
- Whether you are an elite marathoner or someone who only runs if you are being chased, Camille Herron’s latest feat will impress. It happened Feb. 19 at the "Jackpot Ultras" in Nevada, site of the 2022 USATF 100-mile Championships. Yes, a 100-mile race. That’s roughly the distance...
She Left an Ultra-Orthodox Life,
Discovered She Was a Runner
Feb 6, 2022 2:40 PM CST
She Left an Ultra-Orthodox Life, Discovered She Was a Runner
'Runner's World' has the story of Connie Allen
- It's a piece in
, so of course it's about running. But it's just as much about the life Connie Allen (born Schlesinger) escaped, and how running helped her find her footing once she was out. Allen grew up in Brooklyn's South Williamsburg neighborhood...
She Ran a Marathon Every
Day Until She Caught COVID
Nov 15, 2021 6:40 PM CST
She Ran a Marathon Every Day Until She Caught COVID
Alyssa Clark ran 26.2 miles every day for 95 days
- Like a lot of people, Alyssa Clark needed a quarantine project. And, as she wound up the project, she "just felt like running." Her husband is in the military and stationed in Naples, Italy, so she started running on a treadmill indoors while there. She had been training...
One in 8
Started the Race
Ended Up Dying
Oct 17, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
One in 8 Runners Who Started the Race Ended Up Dying
The 'WSJ' digs into the deadly ultramarathon in China
- Running 60 miles would feel like death for most of us. For 21 runners in China, it actually was deadly . Writing for the
Wall Street Journal
, Wenxin Fan takes a deep dive into just what went wrong during the May 22 ultramarathon , which saw 172 runners set off at 9am—...
I Was So Hungry
I Stole Food
Oct 13, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
Runner Sues Coach, Nike: I Was So Hungry I Stole Food
Mary Cain says she was so underfed she stole Clif Bars
- In 2015, Newser summarized a
New York Times Magazine
profile of Mary Cain. Our headline: " This Teen Runner May Be the Best Ever, Someday ." That's not what happened, and now Cain is suing. On Monday, the now-25-year-old filed a $20 million lawsuit against her former distance running...
My Stalker Posted
He Was Coming
to Kill Me
Jul 31, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Olympic Runner: My Stalker Posted He Was Coming to Kill Me
Inside Emily Infeld's chilling ordeal
- Emily Infeld competed in the 2016 Olympics; she failed to qualify to run the 10,000 meters in Tokyo. What transpired during the years between the two Games is the subject of a lengthy and at times chilling piece for ESPN —she was stalked. Infeld, a bronze medalist at...
Mass Runs Resume
Jul 24, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Mass Runs Resume
Before the pandemic, hundreds of thousands were joining inclusive event that began in England
- After 16 months of solo jogging, Saturday's return of the weekly 5-kilometer mass runs in England's parks was met with widespread jubilation. Days after all remaining lockdown restrictions were lifted in England, the organized 5K runs were allowed to resume for the first time since the pandemic struck...
She Decided to Exit 2020
by Running—for 24 Hours
Jan 6, 2021 11:20 AM CST
She Decided to Exit 2020 by Running—for 24 Hours
Jen A. Miller describes a day spent running, walking, sleeping in misery and joy
- However you welcomed 2021, it almost certainly wasn't like Jen A. Miller did: by running and walking. For 24 hours. In a piece for the
New York Times
, Miller explains that she signed up for the Hainesport Hundred and 24 Hour Endurance Run in Hainesport Township, NJ, "because...
High School Runner's
Sweet Move Is Praised
Nov 3, 2020 12:55 PM CST
High School Runner's Sweet Move Is Praised
Ben Boardley of Indianapolis helps a fallen rival to the finish line
- A classy move by a high school runner is getting some national attention. As the
reports, it happened Saturday during a state cross-country meet in Terre Haute. As Ben Boardley approached the finish line, he noticed a fellow runner from another school, Faizan Khan, had fallen and was...
Gives Up on the Spring
Oct 29, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
Boston Marathon Gives Up on the Spring
Organizers hope it will happen in fall 2021
- This year, Boston Marathon organizers postponed the event until the fall before deciding to cancel the race for the first time in its 124-year history and replace it with a virtual event. Organizers say they hope to hold the race again in 2021, but the traditional date of the third...
Sep 1, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
Runners Should Stop Focusing on Mileage
Researchers say it presents an incomplete picture in terms of injury risk and training
- GPS devices make it easier than ever for runners to gauge that all-important number: the number of miles clocked. But in a new paper , researchers make the case that tracking mileage by itself presents too misleading of a picture. To better prevent injury and to improve training, runners need to...
That 6-Foot Rule May Not
Work for Runners
Apr 16, 2020 4:05 PM CDT
That 6-Foot Rule May Not Work for Runners
Studies suggest respiratory droplets travel much farther
- The 6 feet of separation touted by the CDC might not be enough to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, particularly among runners. A new study described in the
New York Times
suggests air carries respiratory droplets up to 30 feet behind runners and up to 15 feet behind fast...
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon
'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Apr 5, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon 'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Eliud Kipchoge did what many believed couldn't be done
- For decades, it was believed to be impossible to run a marathon in less than two hours. Then, in October, Eliud Kipchoge became the first person to do it. How? Knox Robinson spent time with Kipchoge at his rural training camp in Kenya, and in an extensive piece for
Britney Spears Causes
Confusion With Running Claim
Mar 27, 2020 6:29 AM CDT
Britney Spears Causes Confusion With Running Claim
She later clarified she was joking
- The world's fastest land mammal is the cheetah, but Britney Spears is a very close second, according to Britney Spears. The singer caused quite a bit of confusion on Instagram Wednesday when she claimed to have run the 100-meter dash in less than six seconds, smashing Usain Bolt's...
More Nike Athletes Speak
Out on Weight 'Obsession'
Nov 8, 2019 9:10 AM CST
More Nike Athletes Speak Out on Weight 'Obsession'
Amy Yoder Begley says she was told she had 'the biggest butt on the starting line'
- Nike says it had no prior knowledge of elite runner Mary Cain's claims that she developed osteoporosis, broke five bones, missed her period for three years, and began having suicidal thoughts as Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar pushed her to lose weight, per the
. But it says it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Boy Paralyzed in Parade Shooting Is 'Hopeless'
Liz Cheney Loses Her Primary
Autopsy Reveals 'Lengthy, Painful' Alabama Execution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.