Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New York Times
Its Sports Department
Jul 10, 2023 11:37 AM CDT
New York Times
Scraps Its Sports Department
Instead, the newspaper will rely on the Athletic for its daily coverage
New York Times
is disbanding its sports department and will rely on coverage from the Athletic, a website it acquired last year for $550 million. The decision affects more than 35 people in the sports department, according to the
. Journalists on the sports desk will move to other...
As Far as Ultramarathon
Runners Go, He's Remarkable
Jul 8, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
As Far as Ultramarathon Runners Go, He's Remarkable
Dag Aabye first entered the Canadian Death Race at age 62
- Renowned ultramarathon runner Dag Aabye, now 82, moved to Canada from Norway when he was young and fell in love with the harsh wilderness. Living in a bus off-the-grid on a mountainside in British Columbia, Aabye has made a name for himself in the ultra-running community as the oldest person...
Pickleball Side Effect:
ER Visits by Seniors
Jun 30, 2023 1:37 PM CDT
Pickleball Side Effect: ER Visits by Seniors
New analysis projects tens of thousands such visits this year alone
- Pickleball is popular—especially among seniors. However, the sport can also lead to injuries, and a new analysis projects the health-care cost in the US in 2023 at up to $500 million, reports Quartz . The fast-paced sport can involve a lot of jumping, pivoting, and lunging, and those movements...
Top 10 Baby Names
Inspired by Sports Stars
Aug 14, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Top 10 Baby Names Inspired by Sports Stars
Kobe tops the most recent list
- Teachers will be calling on a lot more Kobes in about five years. As KTLA reports, the name "Kobe" tops the list of baby names presumably inspired by sports stars between 2000 and 2021. The list, compiled by Betsperts , found that more than 17,000 infants born in the...
Mar 4, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Another GOP Governor Targets Transgender Athletes
Iowa's Kim Reynolds bars them from girls sports as a 'fairness issue'; LGBTQ activists push back
- Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds calls new legislation she signed Thursday that bars transgender athletes from taking part in girls and women's sports a "fairness issue"—an assertion that LGBTQ advocates disagree with, and one that legal experts say will likely end up in court. House File 2416...
Concern on Stadiums:
'There Will Be Many
Infected People There'
Sep 11, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Concern on Stadiums: 'There Will Be Many Infected People There'
Health experts worry that college and pro football arenas offer prime conditions for further spread
- Health experts say this fall's crowded college and professional football stadiums could create ripe conditions for COVID-19 to spread among unvaccinated fans. Many football stadiums—most of which hold from 65,000 to 100,000 fans—aren't requiring fans to wear masks or be vaccinated. The chances of...
Returns to Boos
Sep 2, 2021 12:39 PM CDT
Tennis Star Takes Another Long Break, Returns to Boos
Another of Stefanos Tsitsipas' opponents calls for rule change
- Stefanos Tsitsipas is sticking to his lengthy bathroom breaks, despite Andy Murray's fury . The Greek tennis star defeated France's Adrian Mannarino in four sets to reach the third round of the US Open on Wednesday, but only after leaving the court for more than seven minutes and returning...
Aug 31, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Andy Murray Seething Over Foe's Bathroom Break
He accuses Stefanos Tsitsipas of abusing breaks after US Open loss
- Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray is calling for a change to tennis rules following his first-round loss at the US Open on Monday, which he blamed on his opponent's strategic breaks. Greece's Stefanos Tsitsipas was down two sets to one when he took "an opportune medical...
High Jumpers' Unusual
Request Is an Olympic Hit
Aug 2, 2021 1:12 PM CDT
High Jumpers' Unusual Request Is an Olympic Hit
Competitors from Qatar and Italy decide to share gold medal rather than go to a jump-off
- It’s the ultimate moment in game recognizing game. Mutaz Barshim of Qatar had been competing against, and making friends with, Italy’s Gianmarco Tamberi for years. Both had suffered ankle injuries that took a season away from them. Tamberi was in Barshim’s wedding, the
League Said She Was Too
Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
in case you missed it
May 29, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
League Said She Was Too Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
National Women's Soccer League can now sign Olivia Moultrie, 15
- A federal judge has overruled the National Women's Soccer League, at least temporarily, finding its rule barring players under 18 is a form of gender discrimination. Olivia Moultrie—a 15-year-old who debuted with the Portland Thorns' under-19 team at age 14 and signed a nine-year endorsement deal with Nike...
Top-Earning Athlete Made Most
of His $180M From Whiskey
May 12, 2021 6:02 PM CDT
Top-Earning Athlete Made Most of His $180M From Whiskey
Conor McGregor tops list for a second time
- The world's highest-paid athlete spent less than eight minutes competing in his sport in the last 12 months—but still took home $180 million. UFC star Conor McGregor, who lost his January fight against Dustin Poirier at 2:32 in the second round, tops this year's
'Super League' Craters
Apr 21, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Europe's Days-Old 'Super League' Craters
Backlash was almost universal; teams withdraw en masse
- It was announced Sunday that a lavishly-funded soccer league made up of major, celebrated teams from across Europe was about to launch. Days later, the European Super League looks to be crumbling in front of team supporters' thankful eyes. After all, "many called it the death of soccer,"...
Fix' on Transgender
Mar 30, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
SD Governor Issues 'Temporary Fix' on Transgender Sports Issue
Kristi Noem signs 2 executive orders banning transgender girls playing at high school, college levels
- South Dakota's governor rolled out a "temporary fix" to what she deems unfairness in sports Monday night, issuing two executive orders that ban transgender girls and women from playing in sports designated for girls. Per the
, Kristi Noem had at first vetoed a measure that would'...
Skater Who Said
He Was Abused to
Walk With $1.45M
Jan 15, 2021 10:23 AM CST
Skater Who Said He Was Abused to Walk With $1.45M
US Figure Skating settles with Adam Schmidt
- The start of the US Figure Skating Championships was overshadowed Thursday by news that the organization had agreed to pay $1.45 million to a former skater who claimed he was sexually abused by a coach. Adam Schmidt, 36, sued US Figure Skating in 2019, claiming he suffered "numerous...
You'll Need to
May 29, 2020 10:02 AM CDT
Switzerland to Sex Workers: You'll Need to Social Distance
Nation gives OK to prostitutes but still prohibits judo, boxing, wrestling, ballroom dancing
- If you're a sex worker in Switzerland, you'll soon be back in business. If you're a judo, ballroom dancing, or boxing aficionado, you're going to have to wait a little longer. Bloomberg reports that the country's legal prostitution industry will be permitted to reopen on...
'Do It! Do It!'
May 24, 2020 12:15 PM CDT
Gov. Cuomo Has Message for Leagues: 'Do It! Do It!'
New York's governor says teams can begin their late spring training
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says teams in his state can return to their facilities for training after a pause of more than two months, the AP reports. "Starting today, all the New York professional sports leagues will be able to begin training camps," the Democratic governor said...
League: Soccer Team Didn't
Use 'Common Sense' With Dolls
May 21, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
League: Soccer Team Didn't Use 'Common Sense' With Dolls
FC Seoul didn't intentionally order sex dolls, but should have figured it out, says K-League
- A professional soccer team in South Korea has received a record fine after using sex dolls to fill stadium seats . Since the K-League resumed games in empty stadiums earlier this month, teams have been recreating the atmosphere with crowd noises and cardboard cutouts of people. FC Seoul went a different...
Soccer Is Back Here, but
'Without Fans Is Nothing'
May 16, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Soccer Is Back Here, but 'Without Fans Is Nothing'
Professional soccer is starting up again in Germany, but the stadiums are empty
- Professional soccer resumed in Germany after a two-month break, with four games in the second division on Saturday taking place behind closed doors. The games were the first since soccer was put on hold March 13 due to the coronavirus pandemic, and they were played in empty stadiums amid strict...
For Years, This Was One of
Modern Sports' Biggest Secrets
in case you missed it
May 3, 2020 1:25 PM CDT
For Years, This Was One of Modern Sports' Biggest Secrets
Drag racing legend Bob Muravez raced under a fake name for years, with help from reporters
- In certain circles, 82-year-old Bob Muravez is a legend. The Californian won more than 600 sanctioned drag-racing events in the 1960s and 1970s and became one of his sport's biggest names. But as a story at SB Nation explains, when Muravez is asked for an autograph these days, he...
We May Soon
See an NBA
Apr 6, 2020 7:31 AM CDT
Despite Virus, We May Soon See an NBA Face-Off
ESPN report says 'high-profile players' may soon take part in game of 'horse' from home gyms
- Who says athletes can't play basketball while self-isolating during the coronavirus pandemic? Although it's almost certain we're not going to be seeing NBA games for the rest of this season—or games out of most professional sports anytime soon, despite President Trump's Saturday conference call with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.